PDA

View Full Version : It's all peachy in Cinci, isn't it?!

stlrtruck
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Palmer blames himself for Bengals' struggles

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
November 1, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A running back criticizes the play-calling. A Pro Bowl tackle questions the team's toughness. Fans grumble about the offensive coordinator's decisions.

Things aren't pleasant these days in Cincinnati, where the Bengals' subpar offense has created a lot of grumbling. Quarterback Carson Palmer tried to end it Wednesday by putting the problem in perspective.

He blamed himself.

Although Palmer defied expectations by returning only seven months after reconstructive knee surgery, he hasn't been as good as he was before the injury. His numbers are down, his form is off, and his offense is struggling.

"If the quarterback plays great and he goes out there and does his job and doesn't miss everything and is 100 percent on everything, you're going to win your football games," Palmer said. "We're 4-3. I haven't been 100 percent, I haven't been perfect, I haven't played great football. You can put all the blame you want on me."

Palmer wasn't being sarcastic. He expects near perfection from himself, in part because he achieved it for much of last season. Palmer led the NFL with 32 touchdown passes and tied the league record by finishing 11 games with a passer rating over 100.

When he beat the odds and made an unusually quick recovery from torn knee ligaments suffered during a playoff loss to Pittsburgh, the Bengals expected their offense to pick up where it left off.

So far, it's not even close.

Palmer ranks seventh in the league with 11 touchdowns and four interceptions. He had his first triple-digit passer rating Sunday in a 29-27 loss to Atlanta that brought the frustrations bubbling out.

Running back Rudi Johnson said afterward that the Bengals need to run the ball more -- he carried only 12 times. Johnson hasn't made himself available to the media since he went public with his second-guessing.

Right tackle Willie Anderson seemed to suggest the same thing after the game, and challenged his teammates to toughen up. He explained himself on Wednesday to offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski.

"I told him this morning in front of everybody: Hey, I'm not trying to criticize the offense because I've seen us do what we do, whether it be passing or running," Anderson said. "That's not my gripe.

"In order for us to win these upcoming football games and be the team we want to be when it comes to December and to fix all these problems, its going to take us going into these games playing tough, physical football. We can't run from that."

The Cardinals, Ravens and Browns have fired their offensive coordinators this season. Coach Marvin Lewis was bemused when asked if he plans to keep Bratkowski around.

"Yes," he said. "Was that at the bottom of the useless-question list?"

Palmer also took up for Bratkowski, who gives him options at the line of scrimmage when the Bengals run their no-huddle offense. Palmer makes the final decision on which play to run.

"A lot of people want to point their fingers at Brat, but if you're looking for somebody to point your finger at, you can point it at me because I'm calling a large percentage of the plays," Palmer said. "He's taken a lot of unfair criticism, and a lot of that should be pointed at me because with the no-huddle we run, I do end up calling most of the plays."

Not only has Palmer been off his game, his supporting cast has been subpar as well.

Center Rich Braham and left tackle Levi Jones are out with knee injuries, forcing a shuffle in the offensive line that led to breakdowns. No. 3 receiver Chris Henry missed three games as punishment for misbehavior. Running back Chris Perry missed the first five games because of injury.

Add to that the rust from Palmer's months-long rehabilitation, and it's understandable why the offense isn't where it was last year, when the Bengals averaged 34 points over the last six regular-season games. They're averaging 22 per game this year.

"I more than anybody would love to be putting up some of the same numbers, and we haven't offensively," Palmer said. "But that's why this game is such a challenge. That's why people get fired and rehired every year. That's why there's so much turnover in this league, because it's difficult to be consistent."

They're learning that the hard way.

"It's not going to be perfect all the time," said receiver Chad Johnson, who has only two touchdowns. "We know that. But you want to be right most of the time. That's the point we're trying to get to, where we were last year. We were right most of the time."

meanjoecoop
11-02-2006, 07:21 PM
...and now the Cincy media and Players cant play nice!

WLW fires Furman

BY JOHN KIESEWETTER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

After 18 years on WLW-AM (700), in which he offended many listeners with his bombastic comments, a public dispute with a Bengals player cost Andy Furman his job.

Furman, 56, was fired Wednesday, nearly three weeks after being suspended with pay on Oct. 13 for calling wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh a “racist” during the station’s weeknight “SportsTalk” show on Oct. 6.

The remark came a day after Furman had ripped the player on the air for missing a paid appearance on “SportsTalk” that night during the team’s bye week.

The decision came from Clear Channel’s corporate headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, and not at the Kenwood station, says Janet Abary, Furman’s attorney.

Houshmandzadeh’s attorney had contacted the San Antonio office after Furman’s remarks.

Karrie Sudbrack, general manager for the eight Clear Channel stations, would not say why Furman was fired.

“We have decided to make a change, and that’s about all I can comment on the situation. I can’t talk about the specifics,” Sudbrack said.

Sudbrack said Furman’s termination likely would not likely change the brash, in-your-face tone of the station, which has made it No. 1 in ratings here for 6? years.
“That’s not necessarily the case. We’ve just decided to make a change as it pertains to ‘SportsTalk’ in the evening,” she said.

Clear Channel employees had been told by Darryl Parks, AM operations director, not to speak about Furman “to the press or on the air on our various stations.”

Furman, of Florence, declined to comment, his attorney said.

One possible reason for firing Furman was the announcement last week that Clear Channel, the nation’s largest radio company, is for sale, said Bruce Drushel, a Miami University assistant professor of communications. The founding Mays family is negotiating for the company to be taken private by a consortium of investors for more than $18.5 billion. A possible lawsuit by Houshmandzadeh could be problematic, Drushel said.

“If you’re for sale, or if you’re buying a company, you don’t want to have any liability on the horizon,” he said.

Furman’s attack on Houshmandzadeh was the latest in Furman’s controversial career, during which he angered Reds and Bengals management and players, university coaches and presidents, and his listeners.

On Oct. 6, Furman said on the air that Houshmandzadeh had called him a “punk a-- white boy.” Houshmandzadeh denied making the remark.

“I told him, ‘Andy Furman, you can ---- yourself.’ That’s the bottom line. And he twisted it into all whatever he wants to,” Houshmandzadeh said several days after the broadcast. “What he did was wrong…. This time he took it too far.”

Mike Honold was listening to Furman on his drive home from work on Oct. 6 – as he has for 18 years – and thought the host was “particularly over the top” on Houshmandzadeh.

“If he was lying about it, he should be fired – particularly since he said it about such a big customer on the station, the Bengals,” said Honold, 44, of Cheviot.

Furman’s firing was cheered by Sheri Edmundson-Wood, 32, of Anderson Township, who called it “a very, very long time coming.” She has disliked him since 1990, when Furman called her a “****.” He made the remark when Edmundson-Wood, then 16, had called to wish Furman’s co-host at the time, Cris Collinsworth, a belated happy birthday.

Bob Burgett of Fairfield Township also supported WLW-AM’s decision. He was shocked to hear Furman on Oct. 5 encourage listeners to spit on Houshmandzadeh’s jerseys because he failed to appear on “SportsTalk” that night.
“That was more than just talking smack. It was hateful and unprofessional,” said Burgett, 43.

But longtime friend Tom Dinkel – a former broadcast partner and former Bengals linebacker – said he was disappointed by Wednesday’s news.

“Bill Cunningham says stuff twice as bad (on WLW-AM) on a daily basis – he had offended almost every ethnic group in this city – and he doesn’t get touched,” said Dinkel, who co-hosted “Sunday Morning SportsTalk” with Furman for 15 years.
“Andy Furman chose a member of the wrong organization to go after, a member of the Bengals,” Dinkel said.

Dinkel said WLW-AM management encourages talk hosts to push the envelope and be entertaining to light up the talk-radio phone lines.

“Andy Furman was paid to give an opinion, and to make you think about stuff,” Dinkel said. “In that business, you’re going to offend everybody. You might not like him, but you’d listen to him every night.”

Miami University’s Drushel says WLW-AM and Clear Channel managers “reward, if not encourage, fairly extreme views that will elicit a response” from the audience
“The question is how far do you go raising controversy, or saying outrageous things, before you cross the line into the impermissible or insensitive?” said Drushel, a Colerain Township resident who worked in radio before joining the Miami faculty 19 years ago. “Evidently, the station didn’t make clear where the line was.”

Where is that line?

Cunningham, in an interview about talk radio philosophy after Furman’s suspension, described it this way:

“The goal is to never go over the line. You go up to the line, and put your toe across the line and see how it is, and then you respond appropriately,” Cunningham said. He declined to discuss Furman’s situation.

Drushel said AM talk radio stations must have attitude because of the increasing competition from satellite and syndicated shows. Cunningham said his competition includes the Internet, blogs, and all-news cable channels.

“You can’t be normal. You have to stick out like a sore thumb,” Cunningham said.

The primary objective of any talk radio host is to maximize ratings – and therefore revenues – by being as entertaining as possible, Cunningham said. “If you’re boring and dull, you’re not going to be successful in talk radio,” he said.

In his memo to Clear Channel staffers, Parks said Bill “Seg” Dennison would continue to host “SportsTalk” 6-9 p.m. weekdays until a new host is hired. Employees at WLW-AM and sister station WCKY-AM (HOMER 1530) would be considered for the job, as well as outside candidates, Sudbrack said.

SteelCityMan786
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Sign of bad things to come in Cincy.

stlrtruck
11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Finally, someone else in sissynatti realizing what type of players the organization retains other than the Steelers fans that live there!

SteelCityMan786
11-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Finally, someone else in sissynatti realizing what type of players the organization retains other than the Steelers fans that live there!

I never thought I'd see the day :toofunny:

HometownGal
11-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Coach Marvin Lewis was bemused when asked if he anticipates more Bengals players landing themselves in the big house this season.

"Yes," he said. "Was that at the bottom of the useless-question list?"

My heart just bleeds for those Bungles. :crying03: Boo frickity HOO. :sofunny:

CJ#85
11-04-2006, 12:14 AM
You think our players are bad, you guys had consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Oakland, one of the worst teams, and you didn't even beat them. Coach Cowturd lost control?

Like you should talk at all, you have enough problems of your own at 2-5!

Preacher
11-04-2006, 01:43 AM
You think our players are bad, you guys had consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Oakland, one of the worst teams, and you didn't even beat them. Coach Cowturd lost control?

Like you should talk at all, you have enough problems of your own at 2-5!

Um... Consecutive unsportmanlike penalties is the moral equivelant of Jail time for Cincy players? Wow. I didn't know the bar was set that low for Cincy players.

BengalBrian
11-04-2006, 02:15 AM
2-5

Nuff said

CJ#85
11-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Ok a couple players were idiots, I'll admit that. It doesn't matter though, you guys are making fun of us when you should be looking at your own 2-5 record. Your team is soon to be surpassed by the lowly Brownies, and you'll be the cellar dwellars of the AFC North.

:chicken:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Ok a couple players were idiots, I'll admit that. It doesn't matter though, you guys are making fun of us when you should be looking at your own 2-5 record. Your team is soon to be surpassed by the lowly Brownies, and you'll be the cellar dwellars of the AFC North.

:chicken:A couple?:sofunny:

BengalBrian
11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
A couple?:sofunny:

Yea.. A couple... Like how many wins you have... A couple

Get it now?

stillers4me
11-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Get it now?

Yeah...I get it. A couple.....Lombardi's.....like 5 more than you have.

Get it? :wink02:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-04-2006, 09:38 AM

Get it now?I wish we had as many wins as you have idiots on your team. Hell we'd be undefeated!:tt02:

jaysta
11-04-2006, 09:44 AM

That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice one S4M!!! Sorry there Bengal Boys, but I think you just got served...by a Stillers Gal! :cheers:

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2006, 11:15 AM

Oh I get it. Bengal fan trying to put us down but continuing to fail.

tony hipchest
11-04-2006, 11:36 AM
palmer was almost perfect last year???? he lost 5 freaking games! he aint all that, as proven this year. he will lose atleast 3 more games this year and they will miss the playoffs, then all this wonderboy shit can be put to rest.

its about time he take the blame rather than falling back on the excuse of his sore knee.

his knee is fine! its his head thats ****ed up.

CJ#85
11-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Talking about Palmer, look at Baby Jen, 4 interceptions against the Raiders. Now that's funny right there. I'd take Palmer any day over Jen. He's not a whiner either.

Keep reminding me about you Lombardis. You sound like a broken record. I'll keep reminding you that I don't care. Dwelling on the past isn't going to help you this year. :blah:

The first 4 have a lot to do with high use of steroids among players of your team at that time. The one from last year, how much did you pay the refs? :wink02:

stillers4me
11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Talking about Palmer, look at Baby Jen, 4 interceptions against the Raiders. Now that's funny right there. I'd take Palmer any day over Jen. He's not a whiner either.

Keep reminding me about you Lombardis. You sound like a broken record. I'll keep reminding you that I don't care. Dwelling on the past isn't going to help you this year. :blah:

The first 4 have a lot to do with high use of steroids among players of your team at that time. The one from last year, how much did you pay the refs? :wink02:

Not near as much as the Bungles are paying judges......:wink02:

stlrtruck
11-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Keep reminding me about you Lombardis. You sound like a broken record. I'll:blah: keep reminding you that I don't care. Dwelling on the past isn't going to help you this year.

He's not a whiner? Obviously you missed a few of his post-season interviews (ok just the one), that went a little something like this, "I hate the Steelers, their better than us, and they're moving on in the playoffs!" :blah: :blah: :blah:

I'd remind you of your Lombardi trophies but you don't have any! LOL

It amazes me that as soon as people talk about last year, they want to talk about the refs. What no one can over come adversity? Or is it just us? You want to blame the turnovers? The penalties? The execution of the players? Oh, of course not that would mean they would be responsible!

MACH1
11-04-2006, 04:20 PM
The Steelers will be in the playoffs while sissy bungholes are home on the couch whining, making excuses and wishing they were us.

CantStop85
11-04-2006, 05:35 PM
his knee is fine! its his head thats ****ed up.
If only you could come to this same conclusion with Big Ben.

Tankus_Maximus
11-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Ben's got a valid reason for havin his head jacked up....two concussions in 6 months time will do that to ya.

I don't remember how the knee plays into decision making. Caution just sucks.
Another washed up Heisman.

Go_Cats
11-04-2006, 07:15 PM
2-5

Nuff said

That pretty well sums it up :jammin:

CJ#85
11-04-2006, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=bcrabt;170946]The Steelers will be in the playoffs while sissy bungholes are home on the couch whining, making excuses and wishing they were us.[/QUOTE

Been drinking too much of the Steel City water? You have to beat teams like Oakland in order to do that. :screwy:

tony hipchest
11-04-2006, 08:14 PM
If only you could come to this same conclusion with Big Ben.ben has more career victories and 5 more playoff game appearances without the benefit of 7 months healing time between his 3 surgeries.
bens taken all the blame for the teams poor play. finally 8 weeks into the season, carson decides he would be a man like his daddy ben and be accountable.

i guess being a little bitch didnt suit him well. if only you could come to the same conclusion.

maybe chad should take some blame for being such a non producing distraction. the 1 hit wonder hype king. the teams focus is gonna change to getting him a pro bowl berth. that cant be good. individual goals never are.

PirateSteeler
11-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Been drinking too much of the Steel City water? You have to beat teams like Oakland in order to do that. :screwy:

Yo *****cats... you bungels need to worry about takin care of business this sunday before you start talkin ish about our record. We will hanlde our business tomorrow.:tt02:

CJ#85
11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;170969]ben has more career victories and 5 more playoff game appearances without the benefit of 7 months healing time between his 3 surgeries.
bens taken all the blame for the teams poor play. finally 8 weeks into the season, carson decides he would be a man like his daddy ben and be accountable.QUOTE]

First of all the injuries were of a completely different style, and Carson Palmer has taken blame for losses consistently this year and last year. Daddy Jen? I'm sure Carson wants to emulate that guy. Jen, a bigger man than Carson? Sure some of his injuries have been serious, and I have wished him the best especially after his accident and appendectomy. Let's look at all his excuses over the fast couple seasons.

Legit Excuses - Bad knee, Severe Accident, Appendectomy, I'll even throw Vertigo/PTSD into this category because he may have had these

Big Jens Tracker of Whining Excuses - Broken toes (never had them), sore thumb, rust, 104 fever, lack of confidence, tennis elbow, recievers, let's not forget he whined about Falcon players laughing at him

"Any time you go low on a quarterback, you know it's a little dirty." - Jen on Odell's hit

Carson being the man said Kimo's hit was unintentional, that's not saying I don't disagree with him.

CJ#85
11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
:thumbsup:
By the way, when are you going to paint the seats in your stadium?

HometownGal
11-05-2006, 08:40 AM

:chicken:

We're making fun of the Bungles? That is laughable! :toofunny: How many times this season alone have you Bungles fans come over here to a Pittsburgh Steelers board to try to rub salt in the wound only to find that Steelers fans NEVER give up on our team like you bandwagon jumpin' Bungles "fans"? You see - we have a history of drafting diamonds in the rough, not convicts, We have a history of fielding competitive teams and winning championships, and we've had only 2 HCs in the last 37 years - unlike the Bungles, the Steelers' organization doesn't change HCs like you Bungles fans change your diapers. That says a lot about our organization's character.

Bottom line? Yes - we're having a bit of a rough season but if you look back - again - on history, the Steelers are never down for long. Simply put - the Bungles can't smell where the Steelers shit last. :tt02:

meanjoecoop
11-05-2006, 08:57 AM
:thumbsup:
By the way, when are you going to paint the seats in your stadium?

When you sell out every game in a stadium the seats get a lot of use. Unlike PBS whose seats are in mint condition due to lack of use. Even when the started selling out last year the seats only get 2-3 quarters of use then every one goes home. Cuz almost all of them are bandwagon / fair weather fans!!!

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123037/2133425/2133426/060109_SN_BengalsFanTN.jpg

I love the green seats you have. They represent the envy and jealousy of the Bengals fans.

http://www.msequip.com/BengalsPaulBrown.jpg

FOR SALE - 5 Years Old - LIKE NEW!

floodcitygirl
11-05-2006, 09:18 AM
When you sell out every game in a stadium the seats get a lot of use. Unlike PBS whose seats are in mint condition due to lack of use. Even when the started selling out last year the seats only get 2-3 quarters of use then every one goes home. Cuz almost all of them are bandwagon / fair weather fans!!!

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123037/2133425/2133426/060109_SN_BengalsFanTN.jpg

I love the green seats you have. They represent the envy and jealousy of the Bengals fans.

http://www.msequip.com/BengalsPaulBrown.jpg

FOR SALE - 5 Years Old - LIKE NEW!:sofunny: Yeah....I never have understood the meaning behind the green seats?????? Now it makes perfect sense. :tt02:

stillers4me
11-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Heinz Field.....10 year waiting list for season tickets........win or lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MACH1
11-05-2006, 12:14 PM
WAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA 14-0 in less than 5 min.

CJ#85
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Our seats are green cause it's the jungle. Jungles, trees..oh, never mind, I wouldn't expect you to comprehend that. What was a I thinking?

Where the Steelers s*** last. I'll tell you what, the Bengals can to smell, the whole NFL smells it this year because you stink. :fart:

meanjoecoop
11-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Looks more like a green cage in the zoo.

http://homepage.mac.com/genedebs1/iblog/B145388589/C1774996060/E1398433064/Media/tiger_goto.jpg

MACH1
11-05-2006, 07:47 PM
looks more like bars in the big house

steelers07
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
He's not a whiner? Obviously you missed a few of his post-season interviews (ok just the one), that went a little something like this, "I hate the Steelers, their better than us, and they're moving on in the playoffs!" :blah: :blah: :blah:

I'd remind you of your Lombardi trophies but you don't have any! LOL

It amazes me that as soon as people talk about last year, they want to talk about the refs. What no one can over come adversity? Or is it just us? You want to blame the turnovers? The penalties? The execution of the players? Oh, of course not that would mean they would be responsible!

nice one! stlrtruck!!!! You are absoultly right!!! That is all the Bengals do blame everyone else but the problem on the field!!! NOT GETTING THE JOB DONE!!!! Which should be the Bengals motto.Since all they wanna do is ridicule us on how we are having a bad season! You are 4-4 now! We may be 2-6 but atleast the Steelers can admit the problems on the field! Not throwing their helemets and pouting about a call the refs should've made. Your TEAM made the score of the game today not the refs!!! SO SHUT UP already about your 4-4 record cause as it stands you might be right where we are right now if your offense doesn't shape up even your defense! :wave:

BengalBrian
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
The Steelers will be in the playoffs while sissy bungholes are home on the couch whining, making excuses and wishing they were us.

I hope the hell you are kidding.. I dont see us getting in unless we lose only one more.. And you think your team will get in the playoffs...

Ok man

MACH1
11-05-2006, 09:00 PM
like you said it doesnt matter now

CJ#85
11-05-2006, 11:48 PM
The Bengals aren't blaming anybody, the call killed a potential game winning drive. That was hardly the problem, though. We need to improve our defense, and our offense isn't on par with last year. Carson, Chad, and Marvin are not making excuses. We have to play better. You Steelers have to play better. At this point, I wonder if we'll make it. You guys can't think you'll make it. The only team that will probably go to the playoffs from our division is the Ratbirds.

MACH1
11-06-2006, 12:31 AM
The Bengals aren't blaming anybody, the call killed a potential game winning drive. That was hardly the problem, though. We need to improve our defense, and our offense isn't on par with last year. Carson, Chad, and Marvin are not making excuses. We have to play better. You Steelers have to play better. At this point, I wonder if we'll make it. You guys can't think you'll make it. The only team that will probably go to the playoffs from our division is the Ratbirds.

I'm thinkin your probably right after today. Just dont let it go to your head. Though I did see CJ cryin about the lack of touchs.

stlrtruck
11-06-2006, 06:43 AM
The only team that will probably go to the playoffs from our division is the Ratbirds.

Can I throw up now?

gregstephens
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Can I throw up now?

I'll ditto that sentiment.

BengalBrian
11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
At least we all agree on one single thing

**** THE RAT BIRDS!!!