PDA

View Full Version : Owens: 'I don't really have to play for the Eagles'

Prosdo
07-22-2005, 12:47 AM
An Eagle could be taking flight.

As a war of words between Eagles president Joe Banner and Terrell Owens heats up, T.O. told CSS SportsNite in Atlanta on Thursday that he is willing to leave Philly if the team won't redo his contract, which still has six years remaining on a $49 million deal.

"It doesn't bother me," Owens said about Banner's comments. "When it all boils down to it, I'm doing what's best for my family. Not to stir anything up, but I don't really have to play for the Eagles, to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive.

"If [Banner] feels that way, then get rid of me," he continued. "I have no gripes, no ill feelings toward any of the players on that team. This is business. They know how business is conducted. I've told them what I'm doing is for my family. If they can't understand that -- and if they feel like I'm a no-nonsense guy -- he wants to talk about Drew and I -- if we're problems then I feel like we can be adults about it. Trade me. Release me, and we can part ways like adults."

Owens has a specific idea of where he'd like to be traded.

"If Joe Banner can give Drew Rosenhaus permission to seek a trade," he told SportsNite, "who knows, Atlanta might be on the list of people that I could play for."

Owens' comments came after Banner criticized the receiver and agent Drew Rosenhaus in the Philadelphia Daily News.

"If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a common-sense conclusion, you'd say [he'll report to camp on time]," Banner told the Daily News. "But you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in common-sense terms. Anything can happen. They're not going to necessarily do what makes sense."

Rosenhaus told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the odds of Owens reporting to training camp on time are "50-50." Owens himself told CSS SportsNite on Thursday that, despite the possible fines, he likely won't attend camp. The Daily News, citing a source in the NFL players' association with knowledge of Owens' contract, reported that the Eagles could fine T.O. five-sixths of the $2.25 million signing bonus Owens received after being traded last year, meaning Owens could be out $1.87 million.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2113696

ironcitychef
07-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Want to be the man and appreciated, fine. Never tell me you can't take care of your family on $49 million. Another reason I hate TO the man, but like him as the player.

Prosdo
07-22-2005, 02:09 AM
The thing that bothers me about TO is in my opinion he makes a load of money between his salary and endorsements. As you said ICC how is that not enough to support your family? I'm curious about that one. I don't know exactly how much he wants, but $49 million is exactly chump change so what's the problem.

Livinginthe past
07-22-2005, 04:44 AM
I am hoping that T.O. does test the waters of free agency - and gets TOTALLY blown out by every other NFL team. As much as the Eagles are a huge rival - I am with them 100% (as I suppose are alot of NFL fans across the country) in their fight against this megalomaniac.

In another thread I said that most players are not from this planet - T.O. takes the biscuit with his crazy talk comparing himself with Jesus and saying " i'm doing it for my family "

Anyone see him after the SB last year? Anyone would think he had just single handedly won the game for the Eagles - the guy is delusional.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM

Prosdo
07-22-2005, 04:54 AM
I agree Living. This guy thinks the Eagles cannot function without him. Yes the Eagles will definitely take a hit but they won't fall apart because TO left. I actually think it would do them good. He is too full of himself and thinks the Eagles entire future rides on him alone.

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 05:33 AM
He is right though he doesn't have to play for the eagles there are teams out there that will pay him more...Atlanta I don't know he might not be able to do it bc he won't be #1 regardless of who plays for them vick will be #1....But he will get paid either way it goes.

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Want to be the man and appreciated, fine. Never tell me you can't take care of your family on $49 million. Another reason I hate TO the man, but like him as the player.
I couldn't agree more Iron...it is disgusting to say that $49 million dollars is not enough to raise a family. I myself am doing fine as a single mother raising my son and don't even come close to six figures. As a player he is amazing and someone will pay him, but just last year he said how much he wanted to be an Eagle and in just a year...he's not satisfied.

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I couldn't agree more Iron...it is disgusting to say that $49 million dollars is not enough to raise a family. I myself am doing fine as a single mother raising my son and don't even come close to six digits. As a player he is amazing and someone will pay him, but just last year he said how much he wanted to be an Eagle and in just a year...he's not satisfied.

You guys have to think too us 49 million is plenty to live on for life, but to these guys it is a salary that they have gotten used to, they build a life style around what they make....His life style needs to be lived, also it is more his agent, if you remember Drew didn't get TO until after he signed there fore he didn't get his 3% of the deal....He won't be happy until he gets his 3%.

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I understand when you make that kind of money...your life style changes and it takes more to live that kind of life. However, $49 million is more than most of us will ever see in our life and there can be some adjustments there.
My mom does VERY well for herself and we have lived a good life and we don't have half of that. And yes, we don't get everything want, but I think that teaches people the value of a dollar-and as a mother I would want my son to grow up and understand that even if he wsa to make it big one day!

pitt
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
If I was the Eagles I'd say "good riddens" "Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out".

RoethlisBURGHer
07-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah,he can play for another team,only if the Eagles trade or release him which they have no intentions of doing.They'll let him sit and pay them not to play.

LambertIsGod58
07-22-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm tired of the Terrell Owens andn Randy Moss BS. I hope Owens screws himself and never plays again. He is talented, very talented. But his attitude, along with Moss, is what prevents him from being a complete player.

SteelBill
07-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah,he can play for another team,only if the Eagles trade or release him which they have no intentions of doing.They'll let him sit and pay them not to play.
I may be wrong, but I think as long as he holds out they can fine him and when he doesn't show on game day he doesn't recieve a check.

clevestinks
07-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Some players just don`t get it. Where would most of them be without football. Why disrespect the game, theplayers, the coaches and the league? TO is a great player, no arguement there. But very immature. Its time to grow up TO. You are not bigger than the league.

bigbensgirl7
07-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Here's the lasted TO statement
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1

Eagles | Owens to Report?
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:57:54 -0700

Stephen A. Smith, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens said he will report to training camp August 1. "I'll be there," Owens said this afternoon by telephone. "I mean, the bottom line is that I still believe I deserve a new contract. I still believe I deserve more than what they've given me. But I'm not stupid. I'm not about to miss training camp, get fined every day and give them even more reasons to keep from paying me. I'll be there. But I won't be happy, I can tell you that much. Take from that whatever you want." Owens added he wants the situation rectified so both sides can move on.