PDA

View Full Version : Honest assessment of our Steelers on NBCSports.com

hockeyrulzonnbc
11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Guys,
While I know our Steelers are having a tough year here is an honest assessment of the team by Tom Curran of NBCSports.com

3. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-5). Quarterly grade: F+
They get the "plus" for a terrific game in Atlanta. There was no reason to rush Ben Roethlisberger back onto the field for the Raiders game after he got KO'd by the Falcons, and now a full-fledged controversy on whether he needs more time or not has been hatched. A Super Bowl letdown would have been, say, dipping to .500.

- To read more go to: http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/281011/detail.html

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Among sports websites, NBCSport ranks somewhere below TSN and CFL's website.

NBC is very very bad with their football coverage. John Madden should have retired about 3 years ago. And their studio crew is easily the worst one in the the business right now.

Texasfan
11-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Among sports websites, NBCSport ranks somewhere below TSN and CFL's website. And their studio crew is easily the worst one in the the business right now.

I can't stand the way they review the highlights of the games. They are so boring!

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I like Bob Costas as a host. He's pretty solid, even if he is a bit dramatic for the average sports fan. But the rest of the crew, Bettis included, are well below average and are painful at time to listen to.

I'm frankly dreading the NFL Network broadcasts with Collinsworth and Gumbel.

Big D
11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I have to agree that football night in america or whatever it is called is one of the worst freaking nfl shows out there. I liked nfl primetime. Even though i think most of the espn crew are a bunch of homers

cbalke
11-03-2006, 12:49 PM
nbc sports coverage in general sucks ass.

i can't stand their coverage of nascar. they miss major parts of races, they can't get back from commercials on time(even though there is at least a one-minute warning on-track that the race will be starting again), and their idea of color-commentary is to go "oooh!" when someone has a close call in the race. retarded.

i watch all their football coverage with the sound off and the broadcast from my sirius radio playing. much, much better that way!

memphissteelergirl
11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I like Bob Costas as a host. He's pretty solid, even if he is a bit dramatic for the average sports fan. But the rest of the crew, Bettis included, are well below average and are painful at time to listen to.

I have never liked Costas, JMO. He comes across as an intellectual snob to me..."the fountain of all sports wisdom."

Collinsworth is like that obnoxious guy in a sports bar who thinks he is sooo knoweledgable and is so smug about it...he makes ya wanna throw a drink in his face and yell "JUST STFU!!"

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Collinsworth is like that obnoxious guy in a sports bar who thinks he is sooo knoweledgable and is so smug about it...he makes ya wanna throw a drink in his face and yell "JUST STFU!!"

Bingo...do you ever get the impression that he doesnt really have any other opinion than to just disagree with other peoples opinion?

I think if we were to give him an enema..he would disapear.

Btrice
11-03-2006, 02:19 PM
i can't stand their coverage of nascar.

Yeah how could they screw that up? I mean how hard is it to say: "Here they come into the home stretch, there they go, Here they come into the home stretch, there they go,
Here they come into the home stretch, there they go..." and repeat 100 times. :thumbsup:

augustashark
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah how could they screw that up? I mean how hard is it to say: "Here they come into the home stretch, there they go, Here they come into the home stretch, there they go,
Here they come into the home stretch, there they go..." and repeat 100 times. :thumbsup:

It's not horse racing!:toofunny:

Btrice
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
It's not horse racing!:toofunny:

Horse racing only goes around once :flap:

I guess I'll just never understand the draw of NASCAR.

augustashark
11-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Ok, you got me there.

memphissteelergirl
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Bingo...do you ever get the impression that he doesnt really have any other opinion than to just disagree with other peoples opinion?

I think if we were to give him an enema..he would disapear.

Dingdingding.....that's just what I was trying to say! Thanks LLT! :wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 03:18 PM

ugh...two hours of watching people turn left....:yawn:

...hmmmm...maybe I have Attention Deficit Disorder....because once I.......

sumo
11-03-2006, 03:24 PM

The worst part -- IT REPLACED NFL PRIMETIME:banging: -- the best football highlight show ever...:crying01: :crying01:

sumo
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM

NASCAR is horrible - NASCAR, Golf, baseball, bowling - how does anybody watch this stuff on TV? - I bet if you put a regular season football game up against the deciding championship broadcast of any of these -- the NFL regular season game would outdraw 2 to 1. even Browns vs Texans

augustashark
11-03-2006, 04:35 PM
NASCAR is horrible - NASCAR, Golf, baseball, bowling - how does anybody watch this stuff on TV? - I bet if you put a regular season football game up against the deciding championship broadcast of any of these -- the NFL regular season game would outdraw 2 to 1. even Browns vs Texans

2006 Daytona 500- 37million viewers

Normal Sunday NFL game- 10 to 15 million viewers

What do you want to bet?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
NASCAR is horrible - NASCAR, Golf, baseball, bowling - how does anybody watch this stuff on TV? -

...can we add womens professional basketball?....:yuck:

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Oh yay! Another football is best guy.

:blah:

Guess what, the only football I watch on tv is the Steelers. If they aren't on, I'll watch baseball or anything else than a regualr season commercial fest they call an NFL game.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Coincidentaly the exact population considered to be in poverty...

37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty

Paul Harris
The Observer
Sunday February 19, 2006

Americans have always believed that hard work will bring rewards, but vast numbers now cannot meet their bills even with two or three jobs. More than one in 10 citizens live below the poverty line, and the gap between the haves and have-nots is widening

The flickering television in Candy Lumpkins's trailer blared out The Bold and the Beautiful. It was a fantasy daytime soap vision of American life with little relevance to the reality of this impoverished corner of Kentucky.....

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess it's just a coincidence that more Fortune 500 companies are associated with than with the NFL.

sumo
11-03-2006, 05:04 PM

What do you want to bet?

Hello! -- I had no idea -37 million viewers for freakin NASCAR? - WOW - I don't understand NASCAR on TV - I'm sure it could be cool in person watching it live -- most pro sports are -- it's watching it on TV that I don't get -

sumo
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Oh yay! Another football is best guy.

:blah:

Guess what, the only football I watch on tv is the Steelers. If they aren't on, I'll watch baseball or anything else than a regualr season commercial fest they call an NFL game.

you gotta be kidding -- say the Cardinals are playing the 49ers one one channel, NASCAR
is on another, and the Buick Open Golf tournament is on a thrid channel -- you would watch Nascar or golf over the Cards and 49ers?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Hello! -- I had no idea -37 million viewers for freakin NASCAR? - WOW - I don't understand NASCAR on TV - I'm sure it could be cool in person watching it live -- most pro sports are -- it's watching it on TV that I don't get -

All kidding aside...I personally dont get it....but have alot of friends who LOVE it...

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 05:12 PM
you gotta be kidding -- say the Cardinals are playing the 49ers one one channel, NASCAR
is on another, and the Buick Open Golf tournament is on a thrid channel -- you would watch Nascar or golf over the Cards and 49ers?

Yes. It's not really close either. NFL games are nothing more than commercial fests anymore.

augustashark
11-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I'll flip through all three, but I will agree I can not sit through an entire baseball game or a race, except for Bristol at night.

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I honestly don't know anyone who can sit through an entire race on tv. I'll watch the start and then come back to it throughout the duration and finish up with the last 50 laps or so.

Although I can watch much more of the Hooters Cup races because they're all short track races that usually don't last more than 2 hours.

sumo
11-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I honestly don't know anyone who can sit through an entire race on tv. I'll watch the start and then come back to it throughout the duration and finish up with the last 50 laps or so.

Although I can watch much more of the Hooters Cup races because they're all short track races that usually don't last more than 2 hours.

Jeremy -

What makes you say NFL games are more commercial than any other major sports? - I don't know a whole lot about NASCAR, but aren't those guys identified largely by who their commercial sponsors are?

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
It's the commercial breaks in your typical NFL game that drive me crazy. A team scores and they go to commercial, they come back and have the kick return and go to commercial, a team makes a couple of first downs and they go to commercial. NBC is just as bad with it's NASCAR coverage and fans have been complaining loudly.

The ton of commericla breaks are a big part of the reason I don't watch as much NFL football or Nextel Cup racing anymore.

Btrice
11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
It's the commercial breaks in your typical NFL game that drive me crazy. A team scores and they go to commercial, they come back and have the kick return and go to commercial, a team makes a couple of first downs and they go to commercial. NBC is just as bad with it's NASCAR coverage and fans have been complaining loudly.

The ton of commericla breaks are a big part of the reason I don't watch as much NFL football or Nextel Cup racing anymore.

I never watch NASCAR but something tells me if you are sick of "Our Country" Chevy Commercials, NASCAR is probably worse to watch than football. :)

Chronicgaming
11-04-2006, 04:38 PM

True, but haven't the commercial breaks always been there with the NFL games on TV/Radio? From what I've noticed, they will break after touchdowns, after kickoffs/punts, during timeouts (most of the time, unless it is near the end of a close game), end of quarter, two minute warnings, and injuries. Sometimes these breaks are welcome when the commentators don't have anything good to say. What I get ticked off with is when someone at the network screws up and keeps the commercials going during a big play. I can live with the planned breaks, but I hate it when they screw up and miss coverage.

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
True, but haven't the commercial breaks always been there with the NFL games on TV/Radio? From what I've noticed, they will break after touchdowns, after kickoffs/punts, during timeouts (most of the time, unless it is near the end of a close game), end of quarter, two minute warnings, and injuries. Sometimes these breaks are welcome when the commentators don't have anything good to say. What I get ticked off with is when someone at the network screws up and keeps the commercials going during a big play. I can live with the planned breaks, but I hate it when they screw up and miss coverage.

They had constantly tweaked the rules to keep the games at 3 hours and finally gave up several years ago and had the national doubleheader games kickoff at 4:15 rather than 4:00 (and told ESPN it could not start its highlights show until 7:30) to fit in the extra commercials. Need to pay for that TV contract somehow and advertisers will only pay so much per ad.

What is great is in the playoffs when they need to get the early game over to avoid running into the next game. I recall in the Steelers-Titans playoff in 2003 they went about 20 minutes in the second half with no commercials.

Atlanta Dan
11-04-2006, 06:09 PM

What do you want to bet?

I will not embarass NASCAR by comparing the ratings for the Daytona 500 ("the Super Bowl of NASCAR") to the real Super Bowl.

NASCAR is a nice niche sport but they are running the risk of alienating their niche by attempting to grow the sport beyond its base.

silver & black
11-05-2006, 10:33 AM

Do you play golf? Not once in a while, but at least once a week. If you understand the game, and just how good these guys are, you could watch it and enjoy it.

I understand that driving a NASCAR isn't within reach of 99% of all the fans who watch and follow it, but they have a very good understanding of what it takes to make the car perform at high speed for hours without falling apart... what it takes to make the car stick and handle on the track, etc... I understand a lot of that stuff, but I still can't watch it. I'm a Drag race fan... once down the strip... new race!:sofunny:

I guess if you're into whatever sport/game, it's enjoyable to watch.

Jeremy
11-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Do you play golf? Not once in a while, but at least once a week. If you understand the game, and just how good these guys are, you could watch it and enjoy it.

I understand that driving a NASCAR isn't within reach of 99% of all the fans who watch and follow it, but they have a very good understanding of what it takes to make the car perform at high speed for hours without falling apart... what it takes to make the car stick and handle on the track, etc... I understand a lot of that stuff, but I still can't watch it. I'm a Drag race fan... once down the strip... new race!:sofunny:

But it's so much easier to make fun of something than to try and understand it. :wink02:

sumo
11-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Dude -

I wish you had never pointed this out - now the freakin commercials are making me nuts! -I don't know why, but I never really noticed just how many commercials there are in a game ... you posted your message, so just out of curiousity I started really paying attention to the number of commercials - there must be 200 per game -- thanks for screwing up my football viewing experience of 2006:cheers:

sumo
11-07-2006, 12:47 PM

If you and Jeremy looked at my other posts in this thread, you would notice I was talking about TV - I enjoy watching most professional sports live including golf -- I have taken clients to Nascar and PGA events and they were pretty cool -- I play golf and baseball with the kids etc -- what I can't do is watch them on TV ...my post was not meant to offend fans of either ..if you can sit through an entire golf tournament or 500 mile Nascar event on TV than you have a lot more patience than I do...