PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben is da man!

BB2W
07-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I hear a lot of people (Bengals and Browns fans) say that Big Ben's success in his rookie year was because he was surrounded by a great team. Do they forget that same "great" team went 6 and 10 the year before? Do they forget the Steelers were 1 and 1 before Ben took over and led them on a 14 game winning streak?

I also hear a lot of people (Bengals and Browns fans) say that Ben's QB rating, and success was because of the run game, and the fact he did not throw as much as other QB's..... He was just a rookie, and all he can do is throw when called on. He was very efficient! If there ever was a stat in the NFL that shows efficiency it is the QB rating.

I understand that Ben throwing the ball too much his rookie year would have likely resulted in a bad thing. That said.....Of the 12 teams that made the playoffs the QB's averaged 501 attempts....Ben was well short of that at 295.

Using basic math.... here are Big Bens stats with 501 pass attemps.....

(332 Comp. - 66 Comp. % - 4448 Yds. - 8.9 Yds./Att. - 29 TD 18 INT)

I don't think he would have done that good, but it certainly says something about what he was able to do as a rookie, and what he may be capable of in the future.

Since it is the BF.....I did the math on Carson Palmer with 501 pass attemps.....

(305 Comp. - 61 Comp.% - 3361 Yds. - 6.71 Yds./Att. - 21 TD - 21 INT)

No logical Steeler fan expects to go 15 and 1 again....nor do we expect Ben to improve on his 98.1 QB rating. Noone can predict the future, but you must give credit where credit is due.....

Congrats to Ben on an amazing rookie year. :party:

BB2W
07-22-2005, 12:58 AM
The only reason for this thread is I was wearing my "Got Ben?" shirt to school taday. I live in Dayton, so I was getting bashed by Bengal and Browns fans. They are really bitter towards Ben, and the Steelers.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/sportsource/.mids/gotben.jpg

Prosdo
07-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Ben definitely brought a spark to Pittsburgh. I don't think many people expected the ride we got when Tommy Maddox went down. Most viewed our season as over. Out came Ben Roethlisberger who led us to victory after victory. Yes we did not get to the Superbowl, but it was still an amazing season for the Steelers. Yes Ben was surronded by an excellent bunch of players and he did hand the ball of a lot, but he brought a lot to the table also. He made some great plays and performed well. This season will be the test for him. He has new passing weapons. The playbook will be expanded. This season will show us what Ben's future looks like in the NFL. Right now it looks very promising and I think he will do very well this season, but that is only my opinion. We just all have to wait and see how it goes. As BB2W said congrats to Ben on a wonderful rookie season.

figg
07-22-2005, 01:28 AM
nice job BB2W. Their all haters. They wish Ben was on their team istead of Palmer.

BengalBrian
07-22-2005, 05:54 AM
nice job BB2W. Their all haters. They wish Ben was on their team istead of Palmer.
Nope... Ben is cocky and arrogant.. Marvin wouldnt take him

figg
07-22-2005, 07:18 AM

hey were's CJ??? hahahaha Got Pepto?

CantStop85
07-22-2005, 09:59 AM
But Chad Johnson > Ben Roethlisberger... :D

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
As a homer I have to say Palmer will kill in stats this year....And well thats it, O wait you guys just wish you had CJ too throw to.

Livinginthe past
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM

I think you will find that a bit of arrogance is a pre-requisite for a professional sportsman - everyone (including fans) is looking for a chance to lay a bit of smack on em, and they need the self belief to go out and perform week in week out.

Its becoming amusing now looking at these debates about who is the best QB when they have a combined 2 seasons playing time between them.

Both are talented - both have got a lot left to prove.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Well said BB2W...I really think everyone around the NFL that bashes what Ben accomplished is jealous and if he was on their team and was able to have the same success, they would be going crazy over the guy. He had an amazing season...better than any of us could have ever imagined. He accomlished something no other QB in the AFC has ever done and he was infact only a rookie. Yes, we did not make it to the ultimate goal, but it was still an exciting season to be a Pittsburgh Steeler Fan!

bigbensgirl7
07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I think you will find that a bit of arrogance is a pre-requisite for a professional sportsman - everyone (including fans) is looking for a chance to lay a bit of smack on em, and they need the self belief to go out and perform week in week out.

Its becoming amusing now looking at these debates about who is the best QB when they have a combined 2 seasons playing time between them.

Both are talented - both have got a lot left to prove.

ITS PIG-SKIN BABY!

NM
I actually couldn't agree more. I can definately understand where BB2W is coming from, considering we live in Dayton, OH and are surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans. They can really get under your skin at times. I still really wish the debates would end, at least until the season starts! And really we won't know who has a more sucessful career for years to come! BB2W did do a great job and brought up something that I have not seen any other posters in any boards bring up, so at least something new was brought to the table...GOOD JOB BB2W.

bengalsfan21
07-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I actually couldn't agree more. I can definately understand where BB2W is coming from, considering we live in Dayton, OH and are surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans. They can really get under your skin at times. I still really wish the debates would end, at least until the season starts! And really we won't know who has a more sucessful career for years to come! BB2W did do a great job and brought up something that I have not seen any other posters in any boards bring up, so at least something new was brought to the table...GOOD JOB BB2W.

I didn't even know there was still Browns fans.... :D

clevestinks
07-22-2005, 05:12 PM
As a homer I have to say Palmer will kill in stats this year....And well thats it, O wait you guys just wish you had CJ too throw to.

Stats, stats , stats. . Stats aint shit. How about this stat. wins 15-1. Led us to the AFC championship game. Yes led! Do we have a great running game. Yes , you bet your ass we do. Does this help Ben , damn staight. Do we have a great O line , Damn staight we do. Does this help ben, Of course it does. We have damn good receivers too, and they help ben win.
Does are defense kick ass. Damn straight it does. It also helps win games.

All I every here out of you Cinci fans is " Ben didn`t win those games, it was the running and the defense" You pretenders need to stay home! You guys would give your left nut, if you had one, to win 15 games and go to the AFC championship game.

Recent Superbowl winners. Pats last three of four. Good passing game great defense. The Ravens a few years back, no qb, and great d, and great running game. I`ll take that anyday.

Will Ben beat the Bungholes all by himself? Not everytime, sometimes he will, sometimes our defense will stove your asses in the ground, sometimes will run the ball down your throats, but we win, and will continue to win. With a 15 year drought since your last playoff game, you guys are starting to see a mirage " Oh look its a playoff game and the Bungles are in it" Ooops NO not really its just a mirage, its the Steelers and Pats, my bad.

CantStop85
07-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Ben was more efficient than Palmer last season.

However, Carson Palmer has raw talent...if he can cut down on his mistakes and bad decisions, then he will be fine. For this reason I think Palmer will have a better career than Roethlisberger when it's all said and done.

Palmer really broke through during the ravens game last year when he basically put up 21 points on them in the fourth quarter. After that game he really started playing more comfortably and with more poise.

He has no reason not to throw for 3,500+ yards and 30 TD's next season barring injury with the guys surrounding him on offense. The key will be cutting down on those bad decisions and forced throws leading to interceptions. I think he will be OK in that department, also. Reason being? During the second half of the season he actually started to realize that he had more than one receiver who could make plays, hence the second half surge of TJ Houshmandzadeh. In the first half of the season he would force a lot of throws to Chad whenever he got in trouble, later in the season he started spreading the ball out more to the other receivers.

Now with Peter Warrick healthy in the slot and the rookie Chris Henry as the 4th receiver and additional deep ball threat, Carson has all the tools, he just needs to make better decisions. Oh yeah, a healthy Chris Perry helps too...he's a great pass catching back for third downs.

bigbensgirl7
07-23-2005, 08:15 AM
But it's not just about the QBs like has been said before. You guys have a good offense but no D and it was proven many times last year. The Steelers pride themselves on their D (usually one of the best in the league year after year) and notice in the past 4 yrs. we have missed the playoffs once when we took a different approach on offense. Look at Brady, he is a great QB, and is surrounded by talent on offense, but the big key is he has a good D too and that is why they win Championships!!!

CantStop85
07-23-2005, 11:35 AM
No, it's not just about QB's...but I thought that this thread was.

You don't absolutely need a superstar QB, but you do need an efficient one. Very rarely can a defense carry a team by itself...just ask the ravens. If the ravens had anything that resembled a QB behind the line of scrimmage, then they would be a consistent super bowl contender.

The Bengals have a young defense right now. This year they will be starting 2 rookies and 2 second year players on defense, not to mention a 2nd year cornerback in Keiwan Ratliff and 2nd year linebackers in Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller coming off the bench. They really have only 4 veteran players on defense...Kim Herring, Brian Simmons, Tory James, and Bryan Robinson.

Last year Cincinnati was ranked 17th overall in total yards allowed per game, 26th in rushing yards allowed per game, 12th in passing yards allowed per game. The year before they were ranked 28th in total yards allowed per game. The defense has upgraded since last season and become a little more experienced overall, so there's no reason they shouldn't take another step forward.

But, I'll give you the biggest reason why the defense will be improved this season....Chuck Bresnahan, the new defensive coordinator. Leslie Frazier as a defensive coordinator was laughable at best. During one game in the season Marvin Lewis had to take over and start calling defensive plays because the defense was doing so horrible. Then, the defense magically started making stops! Imagine that.

In my opinion, the coaches make the biggest difference on defenses, not the players. You don't believe me? Look at the patriots. They lost basically their entire secondary and even had a wide receiver playing cornerback. Did they miss a beat? No. Why? Because of Romeo Crennel and Bill Belichick's coaching abilities.

Go_Cats
07-23-2005, 12:00 PM

To me, I dont see how we can get on your nerves atleast we're not bandwagon Steeler or Patriot fans

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
The only reason for this thread is I was wearing my "Got Ben?" shirt to school taday. I live in Dayton, so I was getting bashed by Bengal and Browns fans. They are really bitter towards Ben, and the Steelers.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/sportsource/.mids/gotben.jpg

Dude, that shirt is freekin schweet! I love it !

bigbensgirl7
07-23-2005, 12:14 PM
To me, I dont see how we can get on your nerves atleast we're not bandwagon Steeler or Patriot fans
It gets on my nerves because I live in Dayton OH and EVERY year (yes even in the 90s) I hear the crap from the Bengals fans in the offseason. Then slowly (with the exception of the past 2 yrs.) I can hardly find a Bengal fan anywhere when the season gets underway and reality hits! Oh yah, how come in Dayton (1 hour tops from Cinci) there were never any Bengal things in any stores around here (again exception of past 2 yrs.) It was ALL Steelers and Browns stuff. Not to mention, you guys talk your crap every year, but never used to sell out your games (I think it was 2 yrs. or 3 yrs. ago when you guys were supposed to be so improved...you didn't even sell out your HOME OPENER) So lets talk about Bandwagoners...for the most part the Steelers have some of the most devoted fans in the NFL...hell it shows even at away games...we have fans every where and we stick by them no matter what!
Now on the positive note, this is not referring to all of you by any means...but you have to admit, all of a sudden there are a bunch of so-called Bengals fans coming out of the wood work. I have met some great devoted fans of the Bengals (esp. at the lair) that seem to be completely devoted to the team through everything (and that includes you). And all those people have the right to be excited and proud of the improvements and recent accomplishments. I just can't stand people that talk their crap, but then hide when things don't go as expected!

Go_Cats
07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
It gets on my nerves because I live in Dayton OH and EVERY year (yes even in the 90s) I hear the crap from the Bengals fans in the offseason. Then slowly (with the exception of the past 2 yrs.) I can hardly find a Bengal fan anywhere when the season gets underway and reality hits! Oh yah, how come in Dayton (1 hour tops from Cinci) there were never any Bengal things in any stores around here (again exception of past 2 yrs.) It was ALL Steelers and Browns stuff. Not to mention, you guys talk your crap every year, but never used to sell out your games (I think it was 2 yrs. or 3 yrs. ago when you guys were supposed to be so improved...you didn't even sell out your HOME OPENER) So lets talk about Bandwagoners...for the most part the Steelers have some of the most devoted fans in the NFL...hell it shows even at away games...we have fans every where and we stick by them no matter what!
Now on the positive note, this is not referring to all of you by any means...but you have to admit, all of a sudden there are a bunch of so-called Bengals fans coming out of the wood work. I have met some great devoted fans of the Bengals (esp. at the lair) that seem to be completely devoted to the team through everything (and that includes you). And all those people have the right to be excited and proud of the improvements and recent accomplishments. I just can't stand people that talk their crap, but then hide when things don't go as expected!

I agree, but its easy for you guys to be devoted when you are one of the most winningest franchises in the league. You guys havent had to face a 10 year playoff drought and being considered the laughing stock of the NFL. I realize you guys have had alot of disappointments yourselves though, probably even more than us, becuase we havent had high expectations for our team in a while. I thought our attendence has been pretty good ever since we got Paul Brown stadium, considering how bad we have played in recent years, alot of our most loyal fans gave up. It also hurts that we're never on nationalized television, people like myself who don't live in ohio have trouble watching the games.

bigbensgirl7
07-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree, but its easy for you guys to be devoted when you are one of the most winningest franchises in the league. You guys havent had to face a 10 year playoff drought and being considered the laughing stock of the NFL. I realize you guys have had alot of disappointments yourselves though, probably even more than us, becuase we havent had high expectations for our team in a while. I thought our attendence has been pretty good ever since we got Paul Brown stadium, considering how bad we have played in recent years, alot of our most loyal fans gave up. It also hurts that we're never on nationalized television, people like myself who don't live in ohio have trouble watching the games.
Cats-yes, your attendance is much better! It is still suprising to see how many Steeler fans are at the games when we are in town! It's been like that since my Dad started attending those games in '79. You never go to Pittsburgh and see the stadium overtaken by any fans.
The main thing here...is you asked why Bengals fans can annoy me...well the main thing is even through this playoff drought, I still hear crap every single offseason.
I understand it must be hard to be a Bengal fan at times (esp. in the 90s) and I commend you for being very loyal and devoted to your team!

bengalsfan21
07-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Cats-yes, your attendance is much better! It is still suprising to see how many Steeler fans are at the games when we are in town! It's been like that since my Dad started attending those games in '79. You never go to Pittsburgh and see the stadium overtaken by any fans.
The main thing here...is you asked why Bengals fans can annoy me...well the main thing is even through this playoff drought, I still hear crap every single offseason.
I understand it must be hard to be a Bengal fan at times (esp. in the 90s) and I commend you for being very loyal and devoted to your team!

He is devoted and lives in California so he has to hear all the shit we do but 20xs worst....And don't kid yourself Ben there is some fair weather fans among us, it is amzazing how we go from a hand full of fans to sell out crowds. However it is easy to tell who is fairweather by doing one simple thing...Ask them about past Bengals and one ? that gets them everytime who is a hall of famer that played his whole career with the bengals.

clevestinks
07-23-2005, 04:53 PM
He is devoted and lives in California so he has to hear all the shit we do but 20xs worst....And don't kid yourself Ben there is some fair weather fans among us, it is amzazing how we go from a hand full of fans to sell out crowds. However it is easy to tell who is fairweather by doing one simple thing...Ask them about past Bengals and one ? that gets them everytime who is a hall of famer that played his whole career with the bengals.

Anthony Munoz ???? Am i right??

Everyone has some fairweather fans. I have a friend who claimed to be a huge Bengals fan, back about 10 years ago. We used to ask him on Mondays, " Did you see Kenny Stabler throw those to tds passes" or" Archie Griffin had another big game" and he agreed everytime. Some fan he was, it was pathetic. And I`m not comparing him to you true fans.

CantStop85
07-24-2005, 12:00 AM
It also hurts that we're never on nationalized television, people like myself who don't live in ohio have trouble watching the games.
Speaking of Nationally Televised Games...why the heck do we not have a single sunday or monday night game? We had a sunday night and monday night game last season and won them both...way to go NFL, go jump on your Oakland Raiders (Randy Moss) bandwagon.

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Anthony Munoz ???? Am i right??

Everyone has some fairweather fans. I have a friend who claimed to be a huge Bengals fan, back about 10 years ago. We used to ask him on Mondays, " Did you see Kenny Stabler throw those to tds passes" or" Archie Griffin had another big game" and he agreed everytime. Some fan he was, it was pathetic. And I`m not comparing him to you true fans.

Yea it's Munoz........and :funny: @ your friend

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 07:32 AM

Why did I get bad rep for this post....It must have came from a fair weather fan

Go_Cats
07-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I dunno, it wasnt me, probably figg, he's been negative repping every bengal fan in site

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I dunno, it wasnt me, probably figg, he's been negative repping every bengal fan in site

Damnit figg tell me it isn't so

clevestinks
07-25-2005, 06:32 PM
The Balst Furnace is the wrong place for negative reps. This is supposed to be a place of disagreement. Bengals, Pats , Raiders , whoever, you won`t get any bad rep from me in the BF. If it were`nt for you guys , then we wouldn`t have much need for the BF

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 09:59 PM
The Balst Furnace is the wrong place for negative reps. This is supposed to be a place of disagreement. Bengals, Pats , Raiders , whoever, you won`t get any bad rep from me in the BF. If it were`nt for you guys , then we wouldn`t have much need for the BF

Hey cleve you never told me what I left you bad rep for...I honestly don't remember it but if I ever get out of this whole and get my reps to mean something i'll give you a few good ones to make up for it. :)

figg
07-25-2005, 10:14 PM

I only bad rep you because you dont know what the heck your talking about and you make up stories like Ive "been bad repping every bungal fan. How would you know"? IDIOT!

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
I only bad rep you because you dont know what the heck your talking about and you make up stories like Ive "been bad repping every bungal fan. How would you know"? IDIOT!

Hey sqeeler fan watch that B word.....I thought we had some sort of mutual respect here buddy.... :cool:

Livinginthe past
07-26-2005, 01:19 AM
This repping malarkey is growing very tiresome. It has no effect on your ability to post so why are we getting our skirts in twist?
I have been bad repped a couple of times (and called an official moron on the accompanying comment) but it makes no odds to me.
If someone has something worth saying then they can post a reply on the thread.

IF I STRETCH I CAN ALMOST TOUCH PRE-SEASON

NM

bengalsfan21
08-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Why did I get bad rep for this post....It must have came from a fair weather fan

Ok who gave me bad rep for this.....Come on everyone should sign off on rep it's only fair.

Livinginthe past
08-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Stop fretting about rep - it would look weird if a bengals fan had too good a rep in here - wear your minus 3 rating as a badge of honor!

Regards

NM

bengalsfan21
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Stop fretting about rep - it would look weird if a bengals fan had too good a rep in here - wear your minus 3 rating as a badge of honor!

Regards

NM

Lol I don't mind I just think everyone shoulf sign off on rep.....I think it was another bengals fan who didn't know the answer to my question