PDA

View Full Version : Prisuta: Cowher tries '05 motivational tactic

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Prisuta: Cowher tries '05 motivational tactic

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 3, 2006

Steelers coach Bill Cowher is trying his hand at psychology again.
Last season, with the Steelers' playoff hopes in jeopardy and just four games remaining, Cowher wiped clean a grease board in the team meeting room. The board was used to record whether the Steelers succeeded or failed based on their pre-established expectations in a number of key statistical areas on a week-to-week basis.

Before the Steelers prepared to face the Chicago Bears on Dec. 11, 2005, Cowher removed any statistical evidence of what had added up to a 7-5 record through the first 12 games.

The message in the wake of a three-game losing streak was unmistakable: It was suddenly a four-game season for the Steelers. And they responded by winning their final four regular-season games and four more in the playoffs through Super Bowl XL.

The message this week, with the Steelers reeling at 2-5 and having lost four of their past five games, is for the players to think only about Sunday's game against Denver.

That point was driven home when the players filed into the team meeting room on the South Side on Thursday morning and saw only the Denver game on the board.

The eight regular-season games that follow no longer exist, at least for the time being.

Presumably, those will reappear one at a time over the eight weeks that follow the Broncos game, assuming all goes according to plan.

Guard Alan Faneca was all for the motivational ploy.

"We go in that room every day, and we see all those games," Faneca said. "And, when you see it wiped clean, and there's only one up there, it really does put you in that mindset of 'this is it and that's it.' You don't see three games down the road. You don't see you have so-and-so, and it's a division game.

"You just worry about what's there right now."

stlrtruck
11-03-2006, 08:31 AM
What player truly goes into a season looking at the full schedule? They should see it once, when it's released in April. Then all they should worry about is getting into training camp shape and then the first game. Play that, then game 2, and so on!
I wonder how many Steelers players looked at the full schedule and said, "We should have no problem getting into the playoffs?"

Big D
11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I think cowher needs to motivate himself before the players. I maybe in the minority here but I dont think we have seen the chin like we have in recent years. I would love a 9 game winning streak to end his last season as our coach

Stillers#1
11-03-2006, 10:13 AM
I think cowher needs to motivate himself before the players. I maybe in the minority here but I dont think we have seen the chin like we have in recent years. I would love a 9 game winning streak to end his last season as our coach
I'd rather see a 13 game winning streak.

Big D
11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
me too. But i'm just concerned about getting out of the regular season.

Jacknut
11-03-2006, 10:42 AM
At this point, the only that's going to motivate the team is the Rooney's taking away their paychecks on the grounds they aren't coming to work.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-03-2006, 11:22 AM

That's the rub. Is it his last season? We are talking only one man has held this position since the invention of email. Winning and losing is infectious.

And if Cowher is already retired then what happens when we are mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs? This is the proverbial 800 pound gorilla that may bite the Rooneys the Cowhers and Steelers faithful in the ass... a bite that may not heal for some time.

cbalke
11-03-2006, 11:51 AM
We are talking only one man has held this position since the invention of email.

hahah! way to put it in perspective, man! good one! :smile:

klick81
11-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow...Cowher showed up to coach? Way to go!

augustashark
11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow...Cowher showed up to coach? Way to go!

NO!

Russ Grimm wrote it.:sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
That board probably should have been wiped clean after the cinnci lost.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2006, 03:37 PM
If he was going to do it then do it for Miami before it is a stale act of desperation.

Now it is just a cheap re-run of a motivational tactic and further evidence that Cowher has lost his imagination regarding how to coach this team.