PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Draft

steel58
11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Let's say the Steelers end the season in the same horrendous way they have played thus far. Under those circumstances, who or what position should we take with a top 5 draft pick?

Livinginthe past
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I reckon 95% of those surveyed will pick a 'power running back'.

Although I may have just influenced the results by predicting that.

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2006, 04:23 PM
OLB (assuming the new coach stays with the 3-4) although that is tough to predict since you usually are converting a college DE. Plan B is an OL tackle.

A new HC will not be committed to a return to the Foster/Bam/Bettis power game and will not spend a 1st round pick on a quality big RB. Pats and Colts seem to be doing just fine without one.

steelcurtain09
11-03-2006, 04:27 PM
CB
need i say ne more
in the second round ol
3rd power back

sumo
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I say we go after the top DB in the draft

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:06 PM
If we happen to draft in the Top 5, anybody but Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin would disspoint me. The guy is a true franchise offensive lineman who will go to 12 straight Pro Bowls and anchor the line for a decade.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
If we happen to draft in the Top 5, anybody but Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin would disspoint me. The guy is a true franchise offensive lineman who will go to 12 straight Pro Bowls and anchor the line for a decade.

I agree with you bigtime about Joe Thomas. That kid is a stud. I live in Big 10 country so I get to see alot of Joe Thomas the past few years. With the way Max Starks has been so inconsistent throughout his career. I would say Joe Thomas would be a very smart pick.

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Lineman like Thomas come along once every 5-6 years. The kid is so athletic it's amazing. He moves like a defensive back even though he's a big boy.

Of course we'd all be too busy complaining about our terrible season to notice the chance to secure the best offensive lineman to come out of college since Chris Samuel came out of Alabama.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Lineman like Thomas come along once every 5-6 years. The kid is so athletic it's amazing. He moves like a defensive back even though he's a big boy.

Of course we'd all be too busy complaining about our terrible season to notice the chance to secure the best offensive lineman to come out of college since Chris Samuel came out of Alabama.

Well thats the only good thing about having a terrible season is that at the end of year you do get a a top pick in the draft. I'm all for the drafting of Joe Thomas if indeed the Steelers do end up getting a top five pick. I would like for the Steelers to draft a Richard Seymour type DE. But its so hard to find one of those.

Atlanta Dan
11-03-2006, 06:24 PM

And we all all know Chris Samuel has been a lock at All-Pro since he was drafted :smile:

That is not to criticize your suggestion - Thomas may be great but the closest pick to a sure pick in the last 10 years at OL was Boselli (or Gallery from Iowa - not!) and Boselli's shoulder problems effectively rendered him useles after a half dozen years in the league.

My point is that the draft is a crap shoot (e.g. - Ryan Leaf was generally regarded as teh consensus smart pick over Peyton)

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:28 PM
There are a couple of solid defensive ends who project as Top 10 picks.

Quentin Moses of Georgia and Gaines Adams of Clemson both look to be high picks.

DB looks pretty thing right now. Leon Hall of Michigan is potentially the only Top 10 pick. If we pick it up this season and get into the mid 20s, we could always pick the hometown kid Darrelle Revis out of Pitt.

Jeremy
11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
My point is that the draft is a crap shoot

I know, but you try and find the safest thing you can find and this year that's Joe Thomas.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 09:12 AM
OLB (assuming the new coach stays with the 3-4) although that is tough to predict since you usually are converting a college DE. Plan B is an OL tackle.

A new HC will not be committed to a return to the Foster/Bam/Bettis power game and will not spend a 1st round pick on a quality big RB. Pats and Colts seem to be doing just fine without one.

I still think that if used correctly...Davenport and Parker can be all we need at RB....I agree with your OLB thinking...but wonder if anyone is familiar enough with Quinton Moses to know if he can be converted?....Is Paul Posluszney big enough to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme? (he seems to be about 10-15 lbs shy of what we have traditionally drafted)...and what are thoughts on Prescott Burgess out of Michigan?

Also I havnt seen too many people talking about CB Marcus McCauley out of Fresno State...6'1...200lbs...4.3 40....Or for those of you in the area...give me your input on CB Darrelle Revis, I know that he is 6'0 195 and runs somewhere in the 4.4 range.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I still think that if used correctly...Davenport and Parker can be all we need at RB....I agree with your OLB thinking...but wonder if anyone is familiar enough with Quinton Moses to know if he can be converted?....Is Paul Posluszney big enough to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme? (he seems to be about 10-15 lbs shy of what we have traditionally drafted)...and what are thoughts on Prescott Burgess out of Michigan?

Also I havnt seen too many people talking about CB Marcus McCauley out of Fresno State...6'1...200lbs...4.3 40....Or for those of you in the area...give me your input on CB Darrelle Revis, I know that he is 6'0 195 and runs somewhere in the 4.4 range.

Moses could be converted and that would be very good move if he is there when the Steelers pick.

McCauley would be a very nice addition to the Steelers secondary. I like Revis alot also. Both have height and can run like a deer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Moses could be converted and that would be very good move if he is there when the Steelers pick.

McCauley would be a very nice addition to the Steelers secondary. I like Revis alot also. Both have height and can run like a deer.

Thanks...I like McCauley better that "Neon" Leon Hall...What about Paul Posluszney , do you think he is a 3-4 OLB? ...and being from Indiana..have you got to see much of Prescott Burgess? (half the people I know here in Illinois are Michigan fans)

Black@Gold Forever32
12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks...I like McCauley better that "Neon" Leon Hall...What about Paul Posluszney , do you think he is a 3-4 OLB? ...and being from Indiana..have you got to see much of Prescott Burgess? (half the people I know here in Illinois are Michigan fans)

Yes I have seen alot of Prescott Burgess. Funny thing is I happen to be Michigan fan. I like Pitt also but growing up here in Big 10 country I just started watching Michigan when I was a kid. I would think when it comes Posluszney and Burgess even though they are OLB but in a 3-4 I think they would be moved inside. But also why not just draft one of these guys and see if they can play outside in a 3-4. If not then move them inside. I think both would be very good inside backers in a 3-4.

I'm with you..I rather have the kid from Fresno then Leon Hall also. I'm a Michigan fan and I think this.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes I have seen alot of Prescott Burgess. Funny thing is I happen to be Michigan fan. I like Pitt also but growing up here in Big 10 country I just started watching Michigan when I was a kid. I would think when it comes Posluszney and Burgess even though they are OLB but in a 3-4 I think they would be moved inside. But also why not just draft one of these guys and see if they can play outside in a 3-4. If not then move them inside. I think both would be very good inside backers in a 3-4.

I'm with you..I rather have the kid from Fresno then Leon Hall also. I'm a Michigan fan and I think this.

Here is another Midwesterner for you... Doug Free OT Height 6'7 Weight:315

lilyoder6
12-02-2006, 01:52 PM
yea.. i think paul p would eb a good linebacker in the nfl.. thru out the season he played inside and out side for penn state

warddj86
12-14-2006, 06:01 PM
no matter how bad it gets, the steelers wont get the top 5 picks, they might finish 8-8 like i think they would, but if they did, go with joe thomas of wisconsin or calvin johnson of georgia tech they're in need of a go to reciever when hines ward gets hurt, and calvin johnson can do that

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-16-2006, 11:09 AM
no matter how bad it gets, the steelers wont get the top 5 picks, they might finish 8-8 like i think they would, but if they did, go with joe thomas of wisconsin or calvin johnson of georgia tech they're in need of a go to reciever when hines ward gets hurt, and calvin johnson can do that

I would love Thomas or Johnson..but I think they will both be gone before we pick...the good news is that the OL class this year appears to be deep