PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout a Steelers band?

jaysta
11-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Here's something to think about. The Steelers have a strong tradition no doubt, and a big part of that tradition has always been the songs that have been written through the years. I think a Black and Gold Steelers Band playing those songs after every TD and throughout the game would definitely add to the stadium atmosphere without changing the Steelers tradition. What do you think?

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm content with what they play on the jumbotron after every TD or defensive stand. Personally, I think a band would be just a tad bit cheesy.

I don't see a problem or see a reason why anything needs to be added (cheerleaders/bands) to Heinz Field. It's fine the way it is.

jaysta
11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm content with what they play on the jumbotron after every TD or defensive stand. Personally, I think a band would be just a tad bit cheesy.

Could be cheesy, but if done right could be cool too. Like in Washington. As far as I know, there are two bands left in the NFL...one in Washington and Baltimore brought their's back when they moved into the new stadium a few years back. If you've ever been to a Skins game you can't help leaving there singing Hail To The Redskins at the top of your lungs. They're group is so popular that they sign autographs and get pictures with fans after every game. It's really cool actually...88,000 rowdy fans singing in unison after every TD. It's like a college game atmosphere, but at the pro level. I recommend it for anyone to check out if you ever get a chance.

83-Steelers-43
11-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Also, they have a band playing (at times) near the Heinz HOF. On the field and while watching a game, I prefer actually watching the game and listening to what they play on the jumbotron. If I wanted to listen to a band, I would go to a concert. If I wanted to see chicks jump up and down while bouncing their fun-bags, I would go to Club Erotica. Just my preference since you asked.

jaysta
11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
If I wanted to see chicks jump up and down while bouncing their fun-bags, I would go to Club Erotica. Just my preference since you asked.

:sofunny: Too funny! That's cool, we all have our own preference on things. I just threw it out there 'cause I was thinking about my last game in DC and how much fun it was. Besides, we've hashed out so many of the problems with the team that this was a little change of pace. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
11-04-2006, 12:21 PM

I don't see a problem or see a reason why anything needs to be added (cheerleaders/bands) to Heinz Field. It's fine the way it is.

Yeah, they've found other ways to keep the fans happy.

MACH1
11-04-2006, 12:28 PM
This one time in band camp--------
:joker:

skidboot
11-04-2006, 12:29 PM
that band stuff seems to me to be real "College".

Winning Football games will bring all the atmosphere we need.

Livinginthe past
11-04-2006, 01:16 PM
that band stuff seems to me to be real "College".

Winning Football games will bring all the atmosphere we need.

Well aint that just the problem?

Its a real chicken and egg scenario - the time when the team needs you most is when they are struggling and/or trailing in a game.

I hate fans who go quiet when things dont go their way - its not a film at the cinema where you sit back and wait to be entertained - its live sports where you can actually influence the outcome.

I've noticed the Boston crowd to be horribly fickle when things dont go the Patriots way - spoilt on success is the way I see it.

NM

stillers4me
11-04-2006, 01:17 PM
We do pretty well at tooting our own horns........:chicken:

jaysta
11-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Well aint that just the problem?

Its a real chicken and egg scenario - the time when the team needs you most is when they are struggling and/or trailing in a game.

I hate fans who go quiet when things dont go their way - its not a film at the cinema where you sit back and wait to be entertained - its live sports where you can actually influence the outcome.

I've noticed the Boston crowd to be horribly fickle when things dont go the Patriots way - spoilt on success is the way I see it.

NM

You're right LITP. It seems like it would be college or cheesy, but anyone who's been to a game in DC would understand that a live group really gets the stadium rocking. The jumbo tron and canned music are there too just like every other stadium, but when "Hail To The Redskins" or the "Hey" song kicked in from the live group, the stadium exploded. I guess you have to experience it to understand it.

Maidenarcher
11-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Also, they have a band playing (at times) near the Heinz HOF. On the field and while watching a game, I prefer actually watching the game and listening to what they play on the jumbotron. If I wanted to listen to a band, I would go to a concert. If I wanted to see chicks jump up and down while bouncing their fun-bags, I would go to Club Erotica. Just my preference since you asked.

I couldn't agree more! I think football should be about the game. It's just my opinion, but a true fan doesn't need all that extra crap (cheerleaders, bands, etc) to jazz things up. :helmet:

MACH1
11-04-2006, 05:31 PM
How bout a half time marching band....LOL :banana: :banana:

Livinginthe past
11-04-2006, 11:17 PM
You're right LITP. It seems like it would be college or cheesy, but anyone who's been to a game in DC would understand that a live group really gets the stadium rocking. The jumbo tron and canned music are there too just like every other stadium, but when "Hail To The Redskins" or the "Hey" song kicked in from the live group, the stadium exploded. I guess you have to experience it to understand it.

You know, id be for whatever works.

Sure the crowd should be educated enough to realise the ball doesn't bounce their way every day but it doesnt always work out like that.

If I was a NFL team manager id be looking for ways to keep the crowds energy levels high - be it cheerleaders or whatever.

Maybe they could play a compilation video of the 'greatest hits' by Steelers players - that would get the crowd pumped.

NM

jaysta
11-05-2006, 01:19 PM
You know, id be for whatever works.

Sure the crowd should be educated enough to realise the ball doesn't bounce their way every day but it doesnt always work out like that.
NM

If anyone catches the Skins-Cowboys game on FOX today you may get an idea of what LITP and I are talking about. That stadium will be out of control when Washington scores and the band fires up the theme song. I've been to tons of stadiums across the country, but nothing can match the crowd down at Fed Ex when they score. Their ownership does whatever it takes to keep the home team fired up and it's not "cheesy" or "halftime high school band" stuff. Just thought it would be cool to bring some of that excitement to Heinz. Guess you have to see it live to understand it.

PirateSteeler
11-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I saw on NFL network that the seachickens have a drumb line that does the same thing after they score. The story was about how they have the world's largest bass drumb. That is totally college/highschool.

http://www.seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_donte/rumble.JPG

steelcity58
11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
I play some Guitar...Yngwie...meets Lynch...meets Macalpine...meets a train wreck.:computer:

t-sizzlez
11-05-2006, 03:13 PM
yea i dont see the need to do that. we are a smash-mouth team. well except for when bill and ken doesnt try to make us be a spread-offense-running. We dont want to show we need a band. We are the PITTSBURGH STEELERS!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Is there anything that would keep people who are all in a section together from bringing their own instruments?....other than the fans around you wanting to shove a Glockenspiel up someones nether regions?

jaysta
11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Is there anything that would keep people who are all in a section together from bringing their own instruments?....other than the fans around you wanting to shove a Glockenspiel up someones nether regions?

No, but that would be funny! :sofunny:

shevdog
11-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I like the idea, yet a team marching band/band is more a high school and college thing. Inviting marching band every now and then is fine. I noticed North Allegeny's band there. It brought back old high school rivalry memories, especially the painful ones where NA wooped my high schools rear end.

As for cheerleaders, rather the absense of them, its a thing of pride that the fans themselves are enough and no additional "cheerleading" is needed. I would be big time against the Steelers having a cheerleading squad. The Steelers Nation cheers proudly, even in rough times, internationally!