PDA

View Full Version : Student project sparks terrorism fear at Heinz Field

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Student project sparks terrorism fear at Heinz Field
Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Security will be heightened at Heinz Field today for the Steelers--Denver Broncos game after two Carnegie Mellon University students were arrested as they tried to sneak into the stadium overnight.

Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper said stadium security officers stopped the two men, described as U.S. citizens of Indian descent, as one stood on a chair and attempted to scale a wall near Gate B about 2 this morning.

With rumors of potential terrorism at NFL games fresh in their minds, Pittsburgh police called in the Joint Terrorism Task Force, made up of city and county police, the FBI and the county sheriff's office.

Police said a video camera was found in the vehicle that one of the men drove to the stadium, and they believe the two planned to finish filming a music video for a college project.

Bomb-sniffing dogs searched the whole stadium, Chief Harper said, but found no explosives.

The men were charged with criminal trespassing and conspiracy. Police said one of the men is 21 years old and is from New York, and the other is 20 and from California. Both live in the Squirrel Hill

area, off campus, Chief Harper said.

Police said stadium security will be ramped up despite the fact that they believe no terrorist acts were planned. They said more officers and a complement of police dogs will greet fans for the 4:15 p.m. game. Chief Harper added, however, that security checks won't be so severe that ticket holders should arrive early.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06309/735924-100.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Yay, this only means one thing. A more thorough cavity search. I'm not taking Mr. Harper's word for it. Leaving early today.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Stupid ass kids..what were they thinking...my fault they weren't !!

polamalufan43
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
honestly, if they were stupid enough not to do something to the security cams before going in....

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I wonder if they would have taken the same precautions if they hadn't been of "Indian decent"?

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 11:29 AM
"With rumors of potential terrorism at NFL games fresh in their minds,"

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Jeremy
11-05-2006, 11:32 AM
I wonder if they would have taken the same precautions if they hadn't been of "Indian decent"?

Yes. These are people who paid to be paranoid. They could have had 'staches and mulletts and they would have gotten jacked up.

polamalufan43
11-05-2006, 11:33 AM

They probably would, but it wouldn't be as played up as it is now

~Polamalufan43 :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 11:35 AM
IMO, I don't care if your green, brown, red, black, orange or yellow. If your climbing over the Heinz Field gates at 2:00 in the morning on game day after reports of terrorist threats on certain NFL stadiums, it's going to make the headlines.

If anything, there was a little piece in the PPG. It's not as if they are running it on every Pittsburgh news station with "BREAKING NEWS" attached to the story title.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-05-2006, 11:37 AM

I dont care if they are of Martian descent..we have enough home grown terrorists to validate any thoughts or precautions law enforcement deems necessary. I dont think authorities are overreacting at all in this case....you can check my coat, check my pockets and check my "package"....the better you check me when I go in...the more secure I feel knowing that everyone sitting next to me was checked just as thouroughly....with my main concern only being how often they changed latex gloves.

Big D
11-05-2006, 11:38 AM
IMO, I don't care if your green, brown, red, black, orange or yellow. If your climbing over the Heinz Field gates at 2:00 in the morning on game day after reports of terrorist threats on certain NFL stadiums, it's going to make the headlines.

If anything, there was a little piece in the PPG. It's not as if they are running it on every Pittsburgh news station with "BREAKING NEWS" attached to the story title.
agreed. Espically after the dirty bomb threat and everything going on with sadaam. I dont think this is racial

polamalufan43
11-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah, we found out at church. The mayor of the suburb goes to our church and he came in and confirmed everything....

But I have to agree, if you are climbing over any fence at 2:00am, there's definately something up....

83-Steelers-43
11-05-2006, 11:41 AM
But I have to agree, if you are climbing over any fence at 2:00am, there's definately something up....

Personally, I'm not saying anything "was up". Hell, it probably was a student project. At the same time I don't think they were "profiled" or that this story is being blown up simply because they are of Indian decent. Once again, it was reported in the PPG because there were two morons trying to scale the gates at Heinz Field at 2:00 in the morning, on game day after reported terrorist threats on NFL stadiums.

It's going to make the news no matter who you are. The ACLU can take a deep breath.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I understand the precautions that were taken in light of recent events. I was just wondering why the felt the need to tell their readers that they were of Indian decent. Do you think that if they were two Caucasians(of German decent) that they would have informed us of that?

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-05-2006, 01:41 PM
I

WTAE did exactly that this morning...Breaking news

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-05-2006, 01:43 PM
It would have been 1 of the first questions asked " What color or race were they? " Yes due torecent threats I believe it was warranted to print that.

Btrice
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
We are the one of only countries that do not officially use racial profiling in terrorist searches. As an example, try going through security at a foreign airport such as Heathrow. The PC knuckleheads in this country would never let anything like that happen.

Personally, I'd rather take the chances that something would happen than have to do anything more than walk through a metal detector.

Big D
11-05-2006, 02:15 PM
I understand the precautions that were taken in light of recent events. I was just wondering why the felt the need to tell their readers that they were of Indian decent. Do you think that if they were two Caucasians(of German decent) that they would have informed us of that?
no, I believe they would have said two honkys were caught.....

Justin Otstott
11-05-2006, 02:34 PM
^lmao damn....

Jeremy
11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't know how to say this, but you kind of expect knuckleheads in the 'Burgh to be white guys. It is kind of news when a knucklehead turns out to be something other than a stupid hilljack.

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 05:48 AM
WTAE did exactly that this morning...Breaking news

Well, I guess "positive hits for explosives" detected by the dogs will do that....

"an affidavit said the dogs registered two separate "positive hits for explosives" in the Lexus sport utility vehicle the men were driving."

"They told police initially they were trying to check out the stadium because they had tickets to yesterday's 4:15 p.m. game against the Denver Broncos, Chief Harper said.

He said they told investigators later that Mr. Paul was trying to complete a music video featuring Mr. Durvasula, and they intended to do the last scene inside Heinz Field. A video camera and tripod were found inside the vehicle, parked nearby, which police towed away."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06310/736047-85.stm

Stlrs4Life
11-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Student project sparks terrorism fear at Heinz Field
Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Security will be heightened at Heinz Field today for the Steelers--Denver Broncos game after two Carnegie Mellon University students were arrested as they tried to sneak into the stadium overnight.

Pittsburgh police Chief Nate Harper said stadium security officers stopped the two men, described as U.S. citizens of Indian descent, as one stood on a chair and attempted to scale a wall near Gate B about 2 this morning.

With rumors of potential terrorism at NFL games fresh in their minds, Pittsburgh police called in the Joint Terrorism Task Force, made up of city and county police, the FBI and the county sheriff's office.

Police said a video camera was found in the vehicle that one of the men drove to the stadium, and they believe the two planned to finish filming a music video for a college project.

Bomb-sniffing dogs searched the whole stadium, Chief Harper said, but found no explosives.

The men were charged with criminal trespassing and conspiracy. Police said one of the men is 21 years old and is from New York, and the other is 20 and from California. Both live in the Squirrel Hill

area, off campus, Chief Harper said.

Police said stadium security will be ramped up despite the fact that they believe no terrorist acts were planned. They said more officers and a complement of police dogs will greet fans for the 4:15 p.m. game. Chief Harper added, however, that security checks won't be so severe that ticket holders should arrive early.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06309/735924-100.stm

Well, if they stepped up security it fooled me. I didn't see any dogs, and thought the security was more lask than in previous games.

Btrice
11-06-2006, 09:54 AM
dogs registered two separate "positive hits for explosives"

You know how I know that statement is bulls***? Dogs don't register anything, they bark, and sure as hell don't register "positive hits." Even the best trained dogs are only so good. Now if they said they FOUND an explosive then ok.