PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to Blame?

ajs8207
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe this season is Cowher's fault. I didn't really like him since we lost again in the AFC Championship game in 2001. Once he won the super bowl, I got off him, but maybe I shouldn't have. I don't see the fire in him this year. Maybe he doesn't care as much? I can't see us firing him, but I think he has to go.

Blitzburgh
11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Did you see his eyes? .... the dude is totally checked out. He's already on the sidelines enjoying his new NC home and planning all his fishing trips.

MACH1
11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
He was thinking to himself- Which room is that trophy going in.

ajs8207
11-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah since he won a super bowl nobody has blamed him for anything. I think the super bowl credit should go to Wiz. Cowher needs to go.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes Bill Cowher is to blame but the players are to blame as well. This season has just been a nightmare that won't end. Hey Bill Cowher is burnt out. Its understandalbe since the pressure does take a toll on a person and Coach Cowher has been here 14 years now. The man needs a break and has earned that right if he so chooses. I just wish he would have announced his retirement when Jerome did.

holmes
11-06-2006, 12:34 AM
We are in the middle of one bad season, are we are blaming this and that. We have one of the top 3 regular season records in the NFL since 1992 and the most division titles. We all should count our blessings that we are not cleveland, detroit, or arizona, who really suck. Cowher has been tremendous, and has had his problems, but main point is he puts winners on the field, year in and year out. One bad year means absolutely nothing. We are the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS. Steeler Nation stands together and tall always, no exceptions. It seems that there are more and more fair weather fans chirping all of the time. Last year we got the breaks, and this year we haven't. No one wants our Steelers to give up, so why would the Steelers want fans who give up. Those losers aren't fans. We have to stick together no matter what, with our coaches and players even if we don't want to (especially after a bad loss).

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 12:37 AM
The Old North State
Written by William Gaston
Composed by Mrs. E. E. Randolph

Carolina! Carolina! Heaven's blessings attend her!
While we live we will cherish, protect and defend her;
Tho' the scorner may sneer at and witlings defame her,
Still our hearts swell with gladness whenever we name her.

Hurrah! Hurrah! The Old North State forever!
Hurrah! Hurrah! The good Old North State!

Tho' she envies not others, their merited glory,
Say whose name stands the foremost, in Liberty's story,
Tho' too true to herself e'er to crouch to oppression,
Who can yield to just rule a more loyal submission?

Plain and artless her sons, but whose doors open faster
At the knock of a stranger, or the tale of disaster.
How like the rudeness of the dear native mountains,
With rich ore in their bosoms and life in their fountains.

And her daughters, the Queen or the forest resembling
So graceful, so constant, yet the gentlest breath trembling.
And true lightwood at heart, let the match be applied them,
How they kindle and flame! Oh! none know but who've tried them.

Then let all those who love us, love the land that we live in,
As happy a region as on this side of heaven,
Where plenty and peace, love and joy smile before us,
Raise aloud, raise together the heart thrilling chorus.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
The fair weather fan talk needs to stop. This is a forum where fans come to discuss the Steelers if its in a positive or even a negative matter. Some fans are always positive. Nothing wrong with that. Some are always negative. Nothing wrong with that. Some are in the middle and there is nothing wrong with that.

But for real how can you blame any fan for not being fustrated? One more Santonio Holmes fumble and I'm going to go insane. Yes Ben is throwing a ton of INT's also. But Ben has been through alot both mentally and phyiscally.

Preacher
11-06-2006, 12:51 AM
We are in the middle of one bad season, are we are blaming this and that. We have one of the top 3 regular season records in the NFL since 1992 and the most division titles. We all should count our blessings that we are not cleveland, detroit, or arizona, who really suck. Cowher has been tremendous, and has had his problems, but main point is he puts winners on the field, year in and year out. One bad year means absolutely nothing. We are the SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS. Steeler Nation stands together and tall always, no exceptions. It seems that there are more and more fair weather fans chirping all of the time. Last year we got the breaks, and this year we haven't. No one wants our Steelers to give up, so why would the Steelers want fans who give up. Those losers aren't fans. We have to stick together no matter what, with our coaches and players even if we don't want to (especially after a bad loss).

I would agree with you, if we did not know that...

1. 2005 was going to be Cowher's last year, until he got Ben, and came so close again.

2. He bought a house in the Carolina's

3. His family has ALREADY moved to the new house, he is a bachelor in Pitt right now.

4. He has put the last touch on a HOF resume by winning the SB

5. The heart and soul of his team (and most of his years here) is gone with Jerome.

6. That same Jerome has already announced that Cowher is a "Changed Man"

7. The old Cowher has NEVER shown up this year. The changed man has come to every game.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 12:51 AM
But for real how can you play any fan for not being fustrated.

I agree. I've only been around a couple weeks, so hopefully the Steelers will pull out of this and we can come down from the ledge some of us are standing on.

Up to this point, I wouldn't say I have seen too many "bandwagon fans" here. I see a LOT of frustrated fans looking for answers, and venting their feelings. To be honest, this is why I came here. I LOVE the Steelers, but I am mad/sad/embarassed/frustrated/upset right now.

I wanted to find a forum where I could let out some of my frustrations and talk with Steeler fans who KNOW things will get better. Even if it doesn't, we'll all be here for each other to talk about our favorite NFL team.

-Mike

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 12:53 AM
I see a LOT of frustrated fans looking for answers, and venting their feelings. To be honest, this is why I came here. I LOVE the Steelers, but I am mad/sad/embarassed/frustrated/upset right now.

I wanted to find a forum where I could let out some of my frustrations and talk with Steeler fans who KNOW things will get better. Even if it doesn't, we'll all be here for each other to talk about our favorite NFL team.

-Mike

One of the better posts I've read since this season started.

Preacher
11-06-2006, 12:55 AM
I agree. I've only been around a couple weeks, so hopefully the Steelers will pull out of this and we can come down from the ledge some of us are standing on.

Up to this point, I wouldn't say I have seen too many "bandwagon fans" here. I see a LOT of frustrated fans looking for answers, and venting their feelings. To be honest, this is why I came here. I LOVE the Steelers, but I am mad/sad/embarassed/frustrated/upset right now.

-Mike

Just and FYI...

Except for the 80's, we have been a winning team since the early 1970's. We will keep on winning.

Probably with a new coach though...

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Probably with a new coach though...

Thanks 83-Steelers-43.

Preacher.....why do you have to keep reminding me of that?? I'm hoping if I forget about this Cowher leaving talk that it will go away, and I'll see an article in the morning that Cowher sold his house in NC and moved his family back to Pittsburgh where he signed a new eight year extension.... :smile:

-Mike

Preacher
11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks 83-Steelers-43.

Preacher.....why do you have to keep reminding me of that?? I'm hoping if I forget about this Cowher leaving talk that it will go away, and I'll see an article in the morning that Cowher sold his house in NC and moved his family back to Pittsburgh where he signed a new eight year extension.... :smile:

-Mike

HEY!!! WHO AM I TO SHAKE ONES FAITH? Sorry about that!

BTW.. are you from Washington State... or Washington DC

83-Steelers-43
11-06-2006, 01:18 AM
The "Braveheart" rants are nice and warm at a time like this, but some have to realize that not everybody thinks along the same lines. We all love this team, but some take losses differently than others. Just because somebody is not screaming like Mel Gibson before the final charge doesn't mean he is a "bandwagon" or "fairweather fan" even though some seem to have a very, very, very difficult time comprehending that little known fact with fanbases from here to China.

Sad this same conversation comes up week after week. I guess it will continue as long as people feel the need to throw the term "bandwagon fan" around simply because they don't agree with one's opinion. Personally, I find it very narrowminded.

Anyways...........Go Steelers!!!

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 01:30 AM
are you from Washington State... or Washington DC

State. I am an hour south of Seattle.

It's all good about the Cowher reminders. Every time I try to move on and focus on something else about the Steelers, I run into a thread where you are making a comment about Cowher moving on. Deep down inside me, I think you may be right. I'm not ready to admit it yet. :smile:

-Mike

Preacher
11-06-2006, 01:34 AM
State. I am an hour south of Seattle.

It's all good about the Cowher reminders. Every time I try to move on and focus on something else about the Steelers, I run into a thread where you are making a comment about Cowher moving on. Deep down inside me, I think you may be right. I'm not ready to admit it yet. :smile:

-Mike

Hey... I grew up in Spokane.

BTW.. I hope I am not right. I hope Cowher gets TICKED... and comes back and runs the schedule next year.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Hey... I grew up in Spokane.

Right on. My aunt and uncle live there now. We go over and visit a few times a year. They are HUGE Seahawk fans. My e-mail is already loaded with some trash talk from my uncle. Oh well. I can handle it.

Yeah, Cowher is going to fool us all and sign a nice extension. At which point, he'll settle down and focus on football. It was much like what Holmgren went through up here a couple seasons ago.

-Mike

Preacher
11-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Right on. My aunt and uncle live there now. We go over and visit a few times a year. They are HUGE Seahawk fans. My e-mail is already loaded with some trash talk from my uncle. Oh well. I can handle it.

Yeah, Cowher is going to fool us all and sign a nice extension. At which point, he'll settle down and focus on football. It was much like what Holmgren went through up here a couple seasons ago.

-Mike

Just ask them how many rings they have!

Justin Otstott
11-06-2006, 05:22 AM

man I dunno.... we are the champs to Superbowl 41 as of now...great we should have atleast made the playoffs wow...all the talk during the off season about how we was lucky to win thta damn superbowl and this is it 2 ****in wins! :wink02: Go Steelers

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Welll, I think Cowher actually tried this game. Although we lost, I saw alittle speck of his personality back.
This is because if you looked closely, you could see him saying a few choice words to the refs on a blown call. It' was actually amusing.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-06-2006, 06:05 AM
I think he's on medication.

Big D
11-06-2006, 06:09 AM

-Mike

I agree. I need to apologize to everyone in here yesterday. I'm a die hard fan having my breaking moment dealing with this season. Sorry I came across like a jackass

HometownGal
11-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Welll, I think Cowher actually tried this game. Although we lost, I saw alittle speck of his personality back.
This is because if you looked closely, you could see him saying a few choice words to the refs on a blown call. It' was actually amusing.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Contrary to some of the sentiment around here, I believe Cowher has "tried" every game. I don't look at his more calm demeanor the last couple of years and especially this season as him giving up on the team. He's not 35 years old anymore - he's close to the big 5-0. Hell - I'm close to Cowher's age and I don't get pissed off as easily or jump around like a jumping bean as much as I did when I was 35.

I'm as upset and frustrated as the rest of you, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start pointing fingers or singling any one person/coach out as to why this team has played so poorly this season. Imho, the entire team from top to bottom are equally to blame. Simply put - they do not play solid football for 60 minutes each week, have trouble holding onto the ball in key situations and find a way every week to shoot themselves in the foot. Not a recipe for a playoff or championship team any way you want to slice it.

Whether they can find a way to turn it around in the last 8 weeks and make their season at least respectable is unknown at this point, but I'll tell you this - I'll still be waving my Terrible Towel proudly and cheering them on win or lose. A couple of bad seasons over the past 15 years, and more on point this season, isn't going to turn me sour on Cowher, considering all of the excitement and pride the Cowher-led teams have brought us black and gold faithful during his tenure as HC. :smile:

Glace
11-06-2006, 07:20 AM
I can't imagine the Steelers without Cowher. Regardless of his demeanor as of late....I just can't picture another guy stalking the sidelines. I was only 10 when Chuck passed the torch...so the only guy I ever really remember is Cowher.

But when I see a bunch of fumbles or interceptions....and Cowher just standing there with his eyes glazed over....maybe a shake of the head or two....It's just not the same.

I'm not talking like I want him to go running and jumping around...but SOME emotion would be nice. I miss the days when it looked as if Cowher's chin would bludgeon somebody in the face. Even in the Superbowl last year....he stood emotionless until the very end of the game.

I'm not asking for a cheerleader coach like Jon Gruden.....but motivation starts with the guy that leads you onto the field.....Your General....Your Coach.

Big D
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I think alot of whats going on right now is cowher. But I think we are very fortunate to have a coach with us as long as cowher has been with us. It seems the past ten years the average "shelf life" for a head coach in the nfl has been 3-5 years. I think maybe even bill feels it's time for some new scenery

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
.....we are the champs to Superbowl 41 as of now...

I'm sorry, but this just isn't bringing me any comfort right now. Neither is the "we have five rings" mentality. I'm not giving up on my Steelers. I still think they will beat the Saints on Sunday. I am just having a hard time finding something positive to fall back on as each loss piles up.

-Mike

lead&gold
11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Players get old. they retire. Fans accept it. The same thing happens with coaches. Cowher clearly wants to build a life in NC. I'm fine with that. But if his heart isn't in the 'Burgh, he should not be on the sidelines.

Louisiana Cajun VooDoo
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
He has a VooDoo spell cast upon him. The only way to get rid of it is to be victorious against the Saints thus the spell will be broken. If he doesn't beat them, then his future is bleak.