PDA

View Full Version : Time to say goodbye to Joey?

Big D
11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
I think we should let him go in the offseason. I dont think he has done enough this year to reward him with the millions he seems to think he is worth

In Cowher We Trust
11-06-2006, 10:36 AM
no never get rid of joey..he is our only leader

Big D
11-06-2006, 10:44 AM

are you kidding me??? You think he is our only leader? So what about alan faneca and hines ward they arent leaders?

stlrtruck
11-06-2006, 10:46 AM

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. He's got emotion and heart but he's not leading the defense.

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Is Porter's contract through 2007?

I have always thought he would be gone at the end of his current contract, but while I previously thought he would be too expensive I now wonder if he has hit the wall and is a player in steep decline.

I agree he should not get a new contract, but as far as cutting him after 2006 if he has another year to go on his contract I do not see any future All-Pros behind him on the depth chart at OLB.

Big D
11-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Is Porter's contract through 2007?

I have always thought he would be gone at the end of his current contract, but while I previously thought he would be too expensive I now wonder if he has hit the wall and is a player in steep decline.

I agree he should not get a new contract, but as far as cutting him after 2006 if he has another year to go on his contract I do not see any future All-Pros behind him on the depth chart at OLB.

I wouldnt say cut, I'm saying trade. I think he will cry about his contract after this season. I dont think we need any additional distractions going into the 07 season.

BigDuke6
11-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Joey's gone. Get used to it now. He is a Cowher-kid. He loves Cowher. He even said he was considering a hold-out until Cowher talked him out of it. Cowher will be gone after this season and so wiill Joey. Joey fans, be ready.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Joey's gone. Get used to it now.

Joey fans, be ready.

NO! :smile:

Joey will be back, better than ever.

-Mike

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Man forget Porter. I want Kendall Simmons and Max Starks gone. They both are terrible. That combo makes for the worst starting right side at Oline in the whole NFL. Maybe not the worst but they are not that good.

SteelerFanInCA
11-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I don't know but I think it's going to come down to $$$$ for JP. I'd like to have him around for a few more years.

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 12:08 PM
LB and offensive line were seen a strengths at the start of the season and both areas now are shown to have major problems.

It does not take long to retool in the NFL but at some point it needs to be done. This team had a major upgrade at QB in 2004 but has had a lot of other major components around for awhile. Looks like it is time for some rework and repair.

MACH1
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
He's going to want big $$$$ and the steelers arent going to pay him that kind of money

Stillers43
11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
I say keep him unless he demands too much money. He is one of the leaders of the team. But, you see that his performance is declining and not worth probably what he wants.

Stlrs4Life
11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Keep him unless he is asking for a rediculous amount. Other wise, see ya Joey.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Looks like it is time for some rework and repair.

I'm afraid you may be right. I just hope the rebuild goes quick like you think it will. I look over at GB, and those guys have been trying to rebuild for two years.

-Mike

Big D
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm afraid you may be right. I just hope the rebuild goes quick like you think it will. I look over at GB, and those guys have been trying to rebuild for two years.

-Mike

green bay doesnt have the pieces we have. And many inconsistancys at the running back position. I think we will bounce back next year with a 11-5 record

Hines0wnz
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
New coach, new faces, new philosophy in '07. If Porter wants to play under a new HC, he will be back, otherwise someone like SF or Seattle will pick him up next year.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
green bay doesnt have the pieces we have.

Alright, you're making me feel better. Thanks. :smile:

But...to keep the discussion going....with Porter, Cowher, and a couple more guys gone, do you really think 11-5 is realistic?

I'm not so sure the Steeler running game is solid.

-Mike

stlrtruck
11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I think IF joey goes to another team, they are going to find out why linebackers are a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh. It's the system. I can only recall one linebacker who left the Steelers organization that and had success - Hardy Nickerson.
All others have been mediocre at best!
I think Joey needs to make up his mind if he needs an extra 5-7 million a year or another ring!

Big D
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Alright, you're making me feel better. Thanks. :smile:

But...to keep the discussion going....with Porter, Cowher, and a couple more guys gone, do you really think 11-5 is realistic?

I'm not so sure the Steeler running game is solid.

-Mike

sure why not? I dont think porter has been that great anyways. The running game hasnt been solid because the coaching staff hasnt ran a balanced offense. With that being said willie parker is still 9th in the league in rushing. I think ben will bounce back and a new face will be a impact two. As i've said the past couple days chuck knoll was 7-9 in his last season with us

Big D
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I think IF joey goes to another team, they are going to find out why linebackers are a dime a dozen in Pittsburgh. It's the system. I can only recall one linebacker who left the Steelers organization that and had success - Hardy Nickerson.
I think Joey needs to make up his mind if he needs an extra 5-7 million a year or another ring!

very true. Ask the chiefs how well bell is working out for them.

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
I can only recall one linebacker who left the Steelers organization that and had success - Hardy Nickerson.

I would add Mike Vrabel to that list. Chad Brown did quite well for himself when he went to Seattle.

I'm not looking to argue with you, I just thought of those two last night when a buddy and I were having the same discussion.

-Mike

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I agree Chad Brown did well after leaving in free agency.

Vrable was mishandled while in Pittsburgh as part of the lost Cowher era years from
1998-2000.

stlrtruck
11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
I would add Mike Vrabel to that list. Chad Brown did quite well for himself when he went to Seattle.

I'm not looking to argue with you, I just thought of those two last night when a buddy and I were having the same discussion.

-Mike

Not to argue as well but I don't think Chad was as productive in Seattle, but then again, after he left the Black and Gold, as with all the others who leave - I stop following them, unless the team they're playing for gets into the Super Bowl.

lotas
11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Levon Kirkland went to Seattle and didn't do shit if I remember correctly? Boy I used to love watching Kirkland play...

MJ5150
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Levon Kirkland went to Seattle...

Yeah, he was a good one too. He had problems with his weight when he was in Seattle, but he did play well. He was better in Pittsburgh for sure.

Living near Seattle, I was excited when Chad Brown came to the Seahawks. I thought to myself "finally a real LB to show these west coast boys how to play the game". He had some great years up here. No where near the 13 sacks he had right before he left Pittsburgh, but he was a solid player who had 100+ tackles a few times.

-Mike

clevestinks
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
are you kidding me??? You think he is our only leader? So what about alan faneca and hines ward they arent leaders?

Alan and Hines are both offense for starters. Joey is the voice of the Steelers! Nobody else is stepping up. Troy maybe our best defensive player but he is just naturally a quite guy.

ARKIESTEEL
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I think it is time for Joey to go I do feel that he is a leader but not the kind we need. Maybe big Casey will step up to more of a leader role, he after all is one of the best we got on D..

Eztarget
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
We can use this years 1st or 2nd overall pick to get a replacement for him! :smile:

sumo
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Levon Kirkland went to Seattle and didn't do shit if I remember correctly? Boy I used to love watching Kirkland play...

yes - you remembered correctly - he go too fat to play -- they were giving him weight incentives in his contract and he couldn't meet them ...he was very average in Seattle and fat too...

sumo
11-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree Chad Brown did well after leaving in free agency.

Vrable was mishandled while in Pittsburgh as part of the lost Cowher era years from
1998-2000.

I was going to make the same point -- Vrabel was never really used well -- and Chad Brown did not play the last 2.5 years of his contract in Seattle, so I don't know if that qualifies as doing well - I think he had almost 2 years of decent productivity before the problems/injuries started...

SteelCityMan786
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
NO! Keep Joey. At least till they used out all of Joey's Good Years.

NV STEELERS 723
11-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I also think the draft will bring a replacement for Joey... we already got burned on 1.2 million w/ Duce Staley this year, and I don't see the STEELERS paying Joey millions as a 6 0r 7 yr vet...

It would be nice to get a "stopper" in the CB position too... I loved watching Rod Woodson

Preacher
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Man forget Porter. I want Kendall Simmons and Max Starks gone. They both are terrible. That combo makes for the worst starting right side at Oline in the whole NFL. Maybe not the worst but they are not that good.

Simmons was excellent here just a little while ago... What in the world happened to him? I definitely say bring in Kemo. Also, we have some kid we picked up in last years draft. Some little fireplug. Do any of you remember him? He impressed a lot of people in camp.

Stick him in. Nothing worse then what we have no.

SteelCityMan786
11-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I also think the draft will bring a replacement for Joey... we already got burned on 1.2 million w/ Duce Staley this year, and I don't see the STEELERS paying Joey millions as a 6 0r 7 yr vet...

It would be nice to get a "stopper" in the CB position too... I loved watching Rod Woodson

I'd say get Joey's Succedor in the draft. Keep Joey around long enough to train him.

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Simmons was excellent here just a little while ago... What in the world happened to him? I definitely say bring in Kemo. Also, we have some kid we picked up in last years draft. Some little fireplug. Do any of you remember him? He impressed a lot of people in camp.

Stick him in. Nothing worse then what we have no.

Do you mean Willie Colon? Or are you talking about the 2005 draft?

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd say get Joey's Succedor in the draft. Keep Joey around long enough to train him.

Well, I say use Joey and keep him around as long as he can play. Get a few extra linebackers that Joey can mentor and when Joey gets old and weary, then we let him go.

Well, we can't deny that Joey's the voice of the defense, but if he goes, who will replace him?

t-sizzlez
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
idk about getting rid of joey unless it means getting a big playmaker? any1 think randy may be a good trade? Im sure Moss still has play-making ability in him somewhere. Of course we are kind of set at wr. Actually We could put hines at 1, Randy at 2. Holmes in the slot, and have miller as a te opition

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
That would be interesting to see,

ytsan2q
11-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Joey has drawn a few double teams this season, which opens up Haggans on the other side to make plays.

Preacher
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Do you mean Willie Colon? Or are you talking about the 2005 draft?

Thats who it was... the OTHER Willie. Willie Colon.

And just so that this is on topic...

Porter stays... but make him fight for his position next year... and keep fighting for it.

sumo
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Thats who it was... the OTHER Willie. Willie Colon.

And just so that this is on topic...

Porter stays... but make him fight for his position next year... and keep fighting for it.

He won't stay regardless if he doesn't get the $$$ and the Steelers rarely give big bucks to their LBs - they are so good at developing them it doesn't matter ...

kyflash15
11-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I say we need to get rid of him and hopefully get Patrick Willis! we need a little younger D, I really think we need a shut down CB too.

IamTheSteelGod
11-09-2006, 06:53 AM
The Harrisons are good enough back up's to have at the OLB spot. It's a shame James was out at the begining of the season.

Mayby we could move to a 4-4 and put Porter in as a RE, he used to play that in college didn't he? Do any teams play in a 4-4?

skidboot
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM

Mike Vrabel comes to mind also. He's done real well for himself and has fit in perfectly with the Pats.

If Porter wants to much money he'll find out that he'll be playing elsewhere next season. The Rooney's won't be pressured by any player. Not their style.

I was hoping they would be able to get the LBer in here via the Draft. We're gonna have to address the situation. Farrior and Haggans are not getting any younger also.

TP43
11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Personally I would like for us to draft Paul Posluszny, especially if Joey's gettin outta here.