PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward -- the best

sumo
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I know he's had a lot of good blocking games, but IMO, last night was the best - and If I had to choose the best receiver in the league (not from a fantasy football perspective) - I would choose Hines Ward ...acknowledging my bias of course

Even Benglas fans would acknowledge that he's the best blocking wide-out in the league - you combine that with everything else he does and I think you have a good case that he's the best all around wide reciever in the league..:jammin: :jammin: :jammin:

tony hipchest
11-06-2006, 10:36 AM
they way he laid out nick furgeson was a thing of beauty.

sumo
11-06-2006, 10:43 AM

Also, his block on Wilson on Parker's TD run -- but what about the broncos putting Furgeson back in? GEEZ, will the NFL ever get it when it comes to concussions? - Ward knocks the guy out -- the next series he's back in for a couple of plays before he staggers back to the sidelines again looking for his mama...the guy probably has brain damage now

BigDuke6
11-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Hines has been the best all-around WR in the league for years now. His performance in SB XL just solidified his ranking. He's also a tremendous leader, however, he has slipped somewhat in that category this year with all his taunting crap he has been flagged for.

Hamer
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Hines has been the best all-around WR in the league for years now. His performance in SB XL just solidified his ranking. He's also a tremendous leader, however, he has slipped somewhat in that category this year with all his taunting crap he has been flagged for.

I don't think so. Yeah, tactically as far as losing penalty yards, his emotional displays weren't a good thing. But I think he was being a leader, trying to give his teammates a boost and some confidence during a very difficult time. As a fan I also appreciated the boost it gave me when he would do an end zone dance. If we were 8-0 then I would say "act like you've been there", do a Stallworth-style high 5 and get to the bench. But this group needed a lift and Hines was trying to give them one.... Anyway that's how I saw it then and how I see it now.

And BTW for the thread-- Hines IS the GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER in the sport (not just reciever) because he has the biggest heart. What a teammate. You can see it in his eyes, he's as much a Steeler fan as the rest of us. --But I may be a little biased, I guess.

PisnNapalm
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I finally saw the play wher Hines lost the ball while trying to score. I will never hold that fumble against Hines. He was doing his best to get us back in the game.

I applaud him for his effort.

Hines... Thanks for being a Pittsburgh Steeler. :o)

sumo
11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't think so. Yeah, tactically as far as losing penalty yards, his emotional displays weren't a good thing. But I think he was being a leader, trying to give his teammates a boost and some confidence during a very difficult time. As a fan I also appreciated the boost it gave me when he would do an end zone dance. If we were 8-0 then I would say "act like you've been there", do a Stallworth-style high 5 and get to the bench. But this group needed a lift and Hines was trying to give them one.... Anyway that's how I saw it then and how I see it now.

And BTW for the thread-- Hines IS the GREATEST FOOTBALL PLAYER in the sport (not just reciever) because he has the biggest heart. What a teammate. You can see it in his eyes, he's as much a Steeler fan as the rest of us. --But I may be a little biased, I guess.

I agree 100% - all the guys at the top with stats routinely take plays off ala Randy Moss - Hines is actually at his best when he's blocking - that's saying a lot for the guy who holds a franchise record for most receptions...

sumo
11-06-2006, 03:52 PM

Is your avatar Terry Hanratty? -- too cool!

SteelCityMan786
11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Hines had only one bad play in reality. That play that should have been a touchdown.

Hamer
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Is your avatar Terry Hanratty? -- too cool!

The rat man was the first Steeler I ever met, back in the day. (I think I was up to his kneecap).

stillers4me
11-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Well said. I, too, thank Hines for being a Steeler......and hope he remains one for many years to come.

polamalufan43
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM

Haha... I was watching that play over and over again... it made me laugh. Rock on Hines:jammin:

Anywho, I hope that he does stay a Steeler for the rest of his career, which in all reality he proabably will.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: