PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Nation in shock over dismal start

Big D
11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
PITTSBURGH -- As the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers slogged their way to the players' tunnel Sunday, their record having sunk to an unfathomable 2-6, a most appropriate song blared through the Heinz Field loudspeakers.

It was Daniel Powter's "Bad Day."

You're standin' in line just to hit a new low
You're fakin' a smile with the coffee to go
Tell me your life's been way off line
You're fallin' to pieces every time

Jason Bridge/US PRESSWIRE
Bill Cowher and the Steelers fell to 2-6 on the season.Powter's piano riffs were interspersed with some jeers, like one from a fan who yelled, "Hey Cowher, leave now!" but the general mood in the half-empty stadium was one of shock and despair, not anger.

Something felt amiss even before the dreadful, 31-20 loss to the Denver Broncos. Radio analyst Tunch Ilkin, a former Steelers player, put words to it early in the broadcast on WDVE FM-102.5.

It was as if everyone was waiting for something bad to happen.

"It seemed kind of quiet in the parking lot, quiet in the stands," Ilkin said on the air. "I don't know, it's just way too quiet in this stadium."

As the nightmare unfolded -- the Steelers played like the Buffalo Bills in a Super Bowl, fumbling six times and losing three -- Ilkin spoke for every fan in the city when he said, "This is unbelievable. It's like a bad dream. It started early in the year, and it just keeps getting worse."

The Steelers fell to pieces for the third consecutive week and are off to the worst start of any Super Bowl champion since the 1987 New York Giants, who started 1-6 in a strike year.

How bad is it? The only team with a worse record is the 1-7 Arizona Cardinals.

"All these turnovers, it's basic football," said Dale Riley, a 20-year season-ticket holder who walked quietly toward his car. "This can't go on."

And what of coach Bill Cowher, who has done nothing to debunk rumors that he will retire after the season to his new, $2.5 million house in Raleigh, N.C.?

Some fans believe Cowher's uncertain status has something to do with his team's incredibly undisciplined play. Linebacker James Farrior was assessed a personal foul yesterday for kicking Broncos center Tom Nalen. It was one of two personal-foul calls the Steelers, who have made a habit of committing mindless infractions this season.

That includes one for a group celebration in a loss to Atlanta two weeks ago, only three games after Cowher said such a penalty -- which the Steelers were flagged for in a loss to Cincinnati -- "will never happen again."

"I think Cowher needs to sit down and have a big talk with somebody," Riley said.

Others believe the Steelers have abandoned their bread-and-butter running game.

"Cowher hasn't stuck with the Pittsburgh game plan," said longtime fan Bryson Wesley, decked out in a Ben Roethlisberger jersey. "He's not running the ball enough."

Bottom line: The playoffs are now a pipe dream. The only team who started this bad and made the playoffs was the 1970 Cincinnati Bengals, who were 1-6 before winning their final seven games and the old AFC Central.

"I would have bet my house that this wouldn't have happened," said Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. "I'd be homeless right now."

Cowher's coaching and Roethlisberger's uncharacteristically poor play have been the topics du jour in the Steel City, which was celebrating the Steelers' fifth Super Bowl title just nine months ago.

Roethlisberger completed 38 of 54 passes for 433 yards and a spectacular, scrambling touchdown pass Sunday. He broke the team record for completions and set a personal-high for yards. But he also threw three interceptions, one by Champ Bailey at the Broncos' 3-yard line, and might have had five or six if the Broncos hadn't dropped a few.

Roethlisberger, who also fumbled near the Steelers' goal line (teammate Alan Faneca recovered), came into the season with a career record of 27-4. He's 1-6 this year. Some local media polls last week indicated a majority of fans wanted backup Charlie Batch to start against Denver.

Fans have been wondering if Roethlisberger's problems are related to his near-fatal motorcycle in June, his emergency appendectomy in September and/or his concussion two weeks ago against the Falcons.

"I think the poor kid's a little star-struck," Wesley said. "They shouldn't have played him last week against Oakland. Now, his mindset's a little bit on the screwed-up side."

Roethlisberger is more than willing to accept the blame.

"It's one of those days, one of those seasons," he said. "Next week (at home against New Orleans) is our playoffs. That's how we have to look at it.

The notion that fans have heaped Roethlisberger with abuse is unfounded. If anything, people at the stadium have, like Cowher, supported the quarterback. Roethlisberger wasn't booed, despite a performance that would have prompted fans to positively torture Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnell and a lot of other guys who've played quarterback for the Steelers.

Bailey was asked if Big Ben looked to be anything like the guy who burned Denver in the AFC Championship Game last year.

"He looked the same, a little, but he was throwing up a lot of balls he shouldn't have thrown," Bailey said. "We just took advantage of those and kept going."

Steelers running back Willie Parker complimented the fans for sticking with the team. Like them, he can't quite believe what he's seeing.

"Yeah, I'm stunned," Parker said. "But we had our highs. Now, it's time to deal with our lows. Can you smile after a defeat? Not really. I can't smile ... but I can fake it."

Joe Starkey covers the Steelers for the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

In order to see this media, please download Macromedia Flash Player 8

Also SeeSteelers super no more
Javon Walker scored three ...

Adjust Font Size:

Ambridge
11-06-2006, 12:19 PM
For all of the glory and joy the Steelers brought last year it's almost as if the Football Gods are playing a cruel joke by seeing how horrible they can make this season.

Last season is last season but in the future when Steeler fans look back and talk about the Superbowl XL Championship there's no way you can leave out talking about the absolutely pathetic season they had the year after.

Infamix
11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
If we were losing these games, and we sucked, I would not be as mad. But look at our team. We have so much talent, all gone to waste because of turnovers. It's like a Ferari with no ****ing gas in it.

BigDuke6
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Cowher has to take the hit for this at some point. The STs, the turnovers, stupid penalties, lack of discipline. These are all things the coach needs to take the hit for.

SteelR1
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
It's like a Ferari with no ****ing gas in it.

We've got plenty of gas, we just keep pouring it out on the turnpike!!!!!

Blitzburgh
11-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm starting to hear more and more that several Steelers sensed early on in camp that they lost their hunger this year .... lost the edge.

ARKIESTEEL
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
If we were losing these games, and we sucked, I would not be as mad. But look at our team. We have so much talent, all gone to waste because of turnovers. It's like a Ferari with no ****ing gas in it.

I think you nailed just how I feel:banging:

SteelCityMan786
11-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I think you nailed just how I feel:banging:

I second that man. This is an absolute stunner.

sumo
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM

That's a good way to put it -- nobody is really beating us -- The Broncos supposedly have the best run stop Defense in the league -- Willie and Najeh could have put up 100 each against that Defense yesterday - eliminate the TOs and we are competitive with anybody in the league...

Hamer
11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
That's a good way to put it -- nobody is really beating us -- The Broncos supposedly have the best run stop Defense in the league -- Willie and Najeh could have put up 100 each against that Defense yesterday - eliminate the TOs and we are competitive with anybody in the league...

I guess that's what makes it so shocking. Every game is like that. We oughtta kill these jokers we're playing against! It's really that it JUST WONT STOP. when? when will it end?

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm starting to hear more and more that several Steelers sensed early on in camp that they lost their hunger this year .... lost the edge.

Since nobody else will speak up Willie Parker has gone public with his belief last year's feeling that everyone had each other's back is gone. Either somebody else is going to deny that or look for similar comments from other players to be coming. Given questions about his contract and future, I think the ticking time bomb is Porter.

I assume Cowher is telling the players any discontent stays in the locker room, but at some point somebody is going to voice their position on how the rotten foundation for this season was built this summer.

SteelerFanInCA
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Man, still hard to believe we are 2-6. Hopefully we can at least finish with a winning record. This has been a tough season so far.

steelergirlrocks
11-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Shock. Definitely in shock.

stillers4me
11-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Which one of you forgot to make the proper ritual sacrifice to the football gods before the opening game..........come on.....fess up...........

touchdownward
11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Which on of you forgot to make the proper ritual sacrifice to the football gods before the opening game..........come on.....fess up...........
O.k, I confess, it was me. I forgot to sacrifice a junior bacon cheeseburger while kicking a hot baked potato into a small cup of chili, all while at the gravesite of Dave Thomas.
Damn that .99 Wendy's menu :smile: :smile: :smile:

Blitzburgh
11-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Since nobody else will speak up Willie Parker has gone public with his belief last year's feeling that everyone had each other's back is gone. Either somebody else is going to deny that or look for similar comments from other players to be coming. Given questions about his contract and future, I think the ticking time bomb is Porter.

I assume Cowher is telling the players any discontent stays in the locker room, but at some point somebody is going to voice their position on how the rotten foundation for this season was built this summer.

Unless Porter is willing to accept one massive pay cut to stay .... I fully expect him to be gone. If history holds any clue, the Steelers organization does not pay 30 something LB's 2nd contract (mid career) like money. A healthy James Harrison with Haggins on the other side will make most forget about Porter.

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Which one of you forgot to make the proper ritual sacrifice to the football gods before the opening game..........come on.....fess up...........

I switched from drinking Sam Adams Light during the games for the 2004 & 2005 seasons to Heineken Light this season. I failed to immediately recognize the obvious impact of this change in my drinking habits on the Steelers performance and did switch back to Sam Adams Light until the San Diego game, at which point it obviously was too late to save the 2006 season.

Big D
11-07-2006, 07:40 AM
I switched from drinking Sam Adams Light during the games for the 2004 & 2005 seasons to Heineken Light this season. I failed to immediately recognize the obvious impact of this change in my drinking habits on the Steelers performance and did switch back to Sam Adams Light until the San Diego game, at which point it obviously was too late to save the 2006 season.
You see I think it's my fault. Every sunday I would go to the bar so I could watch the steeler games. This year I got the nfl sunday ticket. Sorry ladies and gentleman

james203
11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
steelers should actually be 6-2.had it not been for stupid interceptions/fumbles & penalties they would of won against cincy,atlanta,oakland & the broncos.i am just quite speechless & disappointed but i will continue to support my steelers....NO MATTER WHAT!!

Big D
11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
steelers should actually be 6-2.had it not been for stupid interceptions/fumbles & penalties they would of won against cincy,atlanta,oakland & the broncos.i am just quite speechless & disappointed but i will continue to support my steelers....NO MATTER WHAT!!

turnovers obviously lose you football games. So i dont think we should be 6-2. It is what it is

skidboot
11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
We have the record that we deserve. We play stupid Football. Who do we expect to beat turning the ball over the way we do?

I'm disappointed.
I'm frustrated.

Hopefully they can make things real ugly for the Opposition the rest of the way out.