PDA

View Full Version : STEELERS: 2007 NFL Draft and FA.

paw-n-maul-u
11-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Looking at next year's draft, who do you guys like on day 1. It seems that an obvious need is probably going to be OL, LB, maybe a RB. Or is there anyone that you would be interested in via free agency

I personally think the rooneys need to break open the bank a little and get a good LB or CB. I'm not too big on OL free agents, however it seems to be working out for minnesota pretty well. Also, aside from resigning troy and a few others, I don't think we'll have that busy of an offseason within our team RIGHT NOW (minus a few departures). With the cap getting bigger every year, coupled with the likely loss of possibly Porter, Staley, Hartings, Simmons ... any of those names could be on their way out next year, and that should clear up a little more room that people would think.

As far as the draft is concerned, I'm a huge fan of michael bush and the LB Willis, both are just animals. I also think our secondary has given up wayyyyyyyyyyy too many big plays this year, laron landry from LSU is an ANIMAL in coverage ... hes so good its ridiculous ... what a disgusting safety combo ... troy roaming around and wrecking people and laron can just sit back and pick off throws. that would probably take a little more pressure off of ike mcfadden and townsend, esp in zone coverage which is what he is best at, and probably our worst attribute on defense

Black@Gold Forever32
11-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Well I say the Steelers should draft Joe Thomas the OT from Wisconsin. He would be a beast and the perfect OT for the Steelers. If not Thomas then a top corner would be nice. I like Anthony Smith so I would want a corner before a safety. But Laron Landry is an hell of a player. So that wouldn't be a wasted pick. I also would like Michael Bush. The perfect big back for the Steelers and would make a great combo with Willie Parker.

As for free agency. I think Joey Porter's contract is up after the 2007 season. So Joey will be back next year. But I think the Steelers should try to sign Bears OLB Lance Briggs.
But move Briggs to ILB to replace James Farrior. When Farrior was with the Jets he played OLB and then moved inside when he signed with the Steelers. I think Briggs could do the same.

paw-n-maul-u
11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I think we are having a pretty disappointing season but not THAT disappointing ... arizona will probably get their hands on him way before we get a chance (in reference to joe thomas) ... someone like justin blaylock would be a good fit though

t-sizzlez
11-06-2006, 09:02 PM
y not just keep james as middle and briggs and keep things simple?? Whats the point of trying to make them learn? no need for farrior o go back to utside and have briggs learn middle

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
A big variable is what offensive and defensive schemes Cowher's replacement wants to run.

A new HC may not be committed to the traditional Steelers power running game (of course neither are the Steelers this year) and may even want to go away from the 3-4.

One of the few advantages to this awful season tanking is that the Steelers assistants and the Steelers managment can start job interviews on January 1. Once a HC is selected and he gets his staff pulled together then Colbert and the new HC can focus on personnel.

Preacher
11-06-2006, 09:45 PM
A big variable is what offensive and defensive schemes Cowher's replacement wants to run.

A new HC may not be committed to the traditional Steelers power running game (of course neither are the Steelers this year) and may even want to go away from the 3-4.

One of the few advantages to this awful season tanking is that the Steelers assistants and the Steelers managment can start job interviews on January 1. Once a HC is selected and he gets his staff pulled together then Colbert and the new HC can focus on personnel.

Your right on the fact that we have to wait to see what schemes our new HC wants. However, after this year, Cowher may be too embarrassed to leave.

As far as the draft is concerned... Bush is great, but his injuries will drop him to second, maybe even third round.

I would be VERY willing to trade a first round pick for an excellent CB. That takes care of our first and second picks (who would we go get? who knows... I am dreaming here. DeAngelo hall? It would be great... but we would get beat on the lollipop passes EVERYTIME... just like now.

I'll tell you this much, I don't want to see Deshea Townsend line up as first string CB next year. I want to see Kemo on the O line. I don't want to see Holmes on the P/K return THIS YEAR.. let alone next (let him focus on become the #1 receiver when Hines retires in 4-6 years).

Midnightwriter07
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I think Cowher will be back.. no way is he going out after a horrible season and a disappointing of oneas we are having. I think Cowher toowill finsih out his contract.

As faras whoto draft ishardto say because i dont know who we are going to keep. Staley definately gone and Hartings and iwould assume Simmons.... but never know... If we keep playing this poorly...we will have high picks. I wouldnt mind Bush or taking a bigger back and then goin corner in second round beause in 2 years the corner will prolly be needed. Hard to say right now what direction we will be going..

SteelCzar76
11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Looking at next year's draft, who do you guys like on day 1. It seems that an obvious need is probably going to be OL, LB, maybe a RB. Or is there anyone that you would be interested in via free agency

I personally think the rooneys need to break open the bank a little and get a good LB or CB. I'm not too big on OL free agents, however it seems to be working out for minnesota pretty well. Also, aside from resigning troy and a few others, I don't think we'll have that busy of an offseason within our team RIGHT NOW (minus a few departures). With the cap getting bigger every year, coupled with the likely loss of possibly Porter, Staley, Hartings, Simmons ... any of those names could be on their way out next year, and that should clear up a little more room that people would think.

As far as the draft is concerned, I'm a huge fan of michael bush and the LB Willis, both are just animals. I also think our secondary has given up wayyyyyyyyyyy too many big plays this year, laron landry from LSU is an ANIMAL in coverage ... hes so good its ridiculous ... what a disgusting safety combo ... troy roaming around and wrecking people and laron can just sit back and pick off throws. that would probably take a little more pressure off of ike mcfadden and townsend, esp in zone coverage which is what he is best at, and probably our worst attribute on defense

I'd take Bush in the 1st,....just not with a top 15 pick. (And certainly not a top 10)
With that said,....let's say we're selecting in the 5-12 range and Peterson, Quinn, Calvin Johnson are all off the board,.....i'd say go with Leon Hall or perhaps Landry.
We've got a lot of house cleaning to do, but i think it's fair to say we should begin in the secondary.
As i've stated in other posts,......Troy is basically in a position of having to be a "one man army",....and that sh#t is ridiculous.
I like Joe Thomas but i really don't think it's neccessary to use high 1st round picks on O-lineman. (As you can usually still find quality guys from the 2nd through the 4th)
One could make a case for Posluszny,....but given the fact that we have done well drafting and developing D/E L/B tweener's ,.....i'd say we don't have to address Lb in the 1st either.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

paw-n-maul-u
11-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I'd take Bush in the 1st,....just not with a top 15 pick. (And certainly not a top 10)
With that said,....let's say we're selecting in the 5-12 range and Peterson, Quinn, Calvin Johnson are all off the board,.....i'd say go with Leon Hall or perhaps Landry.
We've got a lot of house cleaning to do, but i think it's fair to say we should begin in the secondary.
As i've stated in other posts,......Troy is basically in a position of having to be a "one man army",....and that sh#t is ridiculous.
I like Joe Thomas but i really don't think it's neccessary to use high 1st round picks on O-lineman. (As you can usually still find quality guys from the 2nd through the 4th)
One could make a case for Posluszny,....but given the fact that we have done well drafting and developing D/E L/B tweener's ,.....i'd say we don't have to address Lb in the 1st either.

Laron Landry: The more and more I read about him the more I like. All of our safties are undersized and landry is a beast in coverage, the other asset our FS's seem to be lacking.

SteelCzar76
11-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Laron Landry: The more and more I read about him the more I like. All of our safties are undersized and landry is a beast in coverage, the other asset our FS's seem to be lacking.

Your right Paw Landry is a stud and potential Pro Bowler at the league level. My only concern would be Anthony Smith. Could he be the playmaker we need at F/S ?
And if that's the case should we go blue chip corner in the first and pick up someone like Sabby Piscitelli 6'3 224 4.4 (Oregon State) in the middle rounds to be Smith's backup ? (this way we could let Clark backup Troy and rid ourselves of Townsend and Carter)
I don't know,.....but i will admit,... i wouldn't be against Landry being tapped. He'd bring some much needed size, talent, pedigree and impact to this secondary.

SteelCzar76
11-08-2006, 01:16 AM

You don't think your maybe "counting your chickens" prematurely in regards to Coach leaving Dan ? Had we repeated i could've seen him walking away. But as it stands now he'd be limping out with his head hung low.
And he's never struck me as that kind of person. (Contrary to popular belief of some,......whom blame him for throwing interception's, fumbling, blowing blocking assignments, getting beat for touchdowns in pass coverage and failing to get open.)
Sure,....give him some of the blame in regards to even having the personel whom actually perform the aforementioned wonderous deed's. But even that's not entirely his fault,.....he's not the G.M.
Bottom line,...... Cowher is still one of the best coaches in the League.

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

paw-n-maul-u
11-09-2006, 01:34 AM
with the way things are going, the steelers could have an extremely tough decision to make ... i mean adrian peterson could slip due to his injury, we might have a shot at gaines adams or landry, calvin johnson would be tough to pass on, this should be a very interesting offseason once again for the steelers with a possible head coaching change, and a few big names cut or traded.

vasteeler
11-09-2006, 01:42 PM
I say trade all our picks far a large vat of STICK-UM

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
We are set now.

http://www.steelreign.org/uploads/forums/specialteams.jpg

RoethlisBURGHer
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't think Cowher leaves on a losing season.

I think Porter will be gone when his contract is up.He'll want money the Steelers can't give out.

I like Parker,but he'll never be the guy that can run in between the tackles and make holes where there are none.He's a better fit for a system like one Mike Martz would run.The problem with using Willie as the speed back and someone else as the power back is it tells the other team exactly what we are planning on doing.

We need a guy who can do both,I wish we had LT.But we can find a guy like that in the draft.I think first or second round we should go RB.