PDA

View Full Version : Ben's mistakes are so simple

steelcity58
11-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Ben is trying to do too much.

He's a kid...he felt he let his team-mates down by almost killing himself this past summer, so he feels he has to prove that he is 100% back, (which he's not) and he tries to do too much himself.

He just needs to calm down...let the other players help him win games...

Anyone yelling for Batch must have had 20 helmetless accidents.

Atlanta Dan
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
And of course nothing is going to help Ben get back to playing under control better than telling him to go out and repeat the game plan the Colts put in for Peyton Manning to run against Denver.

It appears the plan in the offseason was to put more of the load on Ben and go away from the 60/40 run/pass ratio of 2004-2005 that started to shift more to the pass in the playoffs.

Apparently there was no turning back after the accident - Ben's accident obvioulsy started the snowball down the hill but his coaches have not served him well this season.

Preacher
11-06-2006, 09:51 PM
And of course nothing is going to help Ben get back to playing under control better than telling him to go out and repeat the game plan the Colts put in for Peyton Manning to run against Denver.

It appears the plan in the offseason was to put more of the load on Ben and go away from the 60/40 run/pass ratio of 2004-2005 that started to shift more to the pass in the playoffs.

Apparently there was no turning back after the accident - Ben's accident obvioulsy started the snowball down the hill but his coaches have not served him well this season.

You know... there are those who I disagree with as much or more then I agree with... but I always enjoy reading thier posts anyways... This is a perfect example... I disagree with ya Dan... But thank goodness you don't spout... Ben sucks.. Start Batch!!

Here is what I actually think is going on...

Last two years. we have not HAD TO pass, because we have been winning almost every game. Check the stats in the first half, then project those stats for both halves. If we were losing or tied most of the time, we would have HUGE pass stats. However, because we were winning those games, the offense SHUT DOWN... or should I say, we decided to take a bus to the finish line.

This year, it is different because we are losing almost every game. Thus, we have to keep passing to try and get back into the game. I really don't have a problem with that because once we have the ability to hit the pass wherever we want (and yes, Ben is going to be just like that), then the DB's will have to keep dropping back. That opens up 10, 20 yard runs for Willie. ANd with his speed... well...

MACH1
11-07-2006, 01:18 AM
You know... there are those who I disagree with as much or more then I agree with... but I always enjoy reading thier posts anyways... This is a perfect example... I disagree with ya Dan... But thank goodness you don't spout... Ben sucks.. Start Batch!!

Here is what I actually think is going on...

Last two years. we have not HAD TO pass, because we have been winning almost every game. Check the stats in the first half, then project those stats for both halves. If we were losing or tied most of the time, we would have HUGE pass stats. However, because we were winning those games, the offense SHUT DOWN... or should I say, we decided to take a bus to the finish line.

This year, it is different because we are losing almost every game. Thus, we have to keep passing to try and get back into the game. I really don't have a problem with that because once we have the ability to hit the pass wherever we want (and yes, Ben is going to be just like that), then the DB's will have to keep dropping back. That opens up 10, 20 yard runs for Willie. ANd with his speed... well...

The problem with that is they cant run on a consistent basis, plus with all the to's ben has to try and play catch up and the D"s can tee off on the pass. What we need is a big bruising back that cant be arm tackeled and bust people in the mouth, wear down defences and willey just not able to do that.

stlrtruck
11-07-2006, 06:22 AM
IMHO, the problem with Ben is that he's trying to hit the quick strike, ala Peyton Manning but he's more like the current rendition of Favre. When he checks down to his TE or the under WR or out of the backfield RB he does great. I think the Whiz needs to take the long ball away from him!

Infamix
11-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah your right the Whiz needs to take his long ball away except for 1 or 2 plays a game

Prosdo
11-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Ben is trying to hard that's the only problem with Ben in my opinion. He is a very good quarterback, but it seems he is feeling like he must make things happen. Once he relaxes he will be fine. I also agree Ben is our quarterback and people yelling for Batch just need to quit.

BigDuke6
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Most of Ben's problems can be attributed to the poor play of the O-Line. How many sacks/hits/hurries has Ben taken this year ? How 'bout this....can Nate Washington and Cedrik Wilson get open on a consistent basis ? I think the Denver game showed that when Ben moved the pocket around and scrambled for extra time, he was scrambling to allow his recievers to get open and it worked quite well. Its enough to say our receiver corps does nothing to cause any lost sleep to DCs around the league. Just drop into coverage and let the front 4 eventually get the proper pressure.
Whew !!!!! Boy.....I'll place the blame just about anywhere but on Ben.

Preacher
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Most of Ben's problems can be attributed to the poor play of the O-Line. How many sacks/hits/hurries has Ben taken this year ? How 'bout this....can Nate Washington and Cedrik Wilson get open on a consistent basis ? I think the Denver game showed that when Ben moved the pocket around and scrambled for extra time, he was scrambling to allow his recievers to get open and it worked quite well. Its enough to say our receiver corps does nothing to cause any lost sleep to DCs around the league. Just drop into coverage and let the front 4 eventually get the proper pressure.

The rookie :wink: is right. The problem is that Ben doesn't have the time in or out of the pocket. Furthermore... When teams only have to rush 3 or 4, and can still sack the quarterback, what is the sense of rushing 6 and only dropping 5 back in coverage?

That is what is happening. Our O line needs to step up. Period. Then, we can start talking about whether Ben is playing well or not. Until he is protected, I will give him a pass.

RodWoodson26
11-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Ben just needs to get back to fundamentals. Take the underneath route if you see double coverage downfield. Take the field goal,if nobody is open. Don't be afraid to simply punt the football away and trust your defense.

Btrice
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM

The O-line definitely sucks, but Ben needs to learn that when the O-line breaks down and he is feeling pressure he needs to just throw the ball away instead of throwing into coverage. How many of his meaningful interceptions this year could have been erased by just throwing the ball away? Somebody needs to drill that into his head. Its just one of the many simple things this team needs to fix.

Midnightwriter07
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Interseting thoughts.. funny to me how many Steeler fans were all ready to go away from the run and have Ben throw it 45 times a game prior to the season starting and saying Cowher must go because he will never allow Ben to reach his full potential. Iof course thougth that was Bullshit and pretty stupid, but there were plenty who thought differently. I think what happened to Ben early on should have given us a glimpseofwhat was to come this season lol Just some bad luck and things sure are not going our way this year with the ball bouncing our way.

But more importantly, I think people need to realize that Ben is still young, still going to make dumbass mistakes and now that he has more weight on his shoulders.. he needs to keep playing and keep learning. He may not ever be a Payton Manning or a Brady... but i think he has the ability to be just as good if not better. He hassome growingpains yet and as fanswe have to live through them as well as the coaches.

greenparrot
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
the bottom line is that he is being forced...becuz the running game is not was it was last year...to pass too much. In 2005 his attempts were 22/g....in 2006 it's 33/g. I'm not sure it's his forte to pass that much. Based on this year's sack numbers...maybe the O line is not what is was last year either.