PDA

View Full Version : Bungals Cry: No Fair!

meanjoecoop
11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
:crying01: :crying01: :crying01:

For Bengals, the NFL is the Not Fair League
Letters to the editor

I thought for sure I would see a flag when T.J. Houshmanzadeh was mugged by a Baltimore defender on fourth down and the game hanging in the balance. I was wrong; there was no flag, no win, second place in the division.

Without this and the other major officiating snafu (Justin Smith's "roughing the passer" penalty in Tampa), the Bengals would be sitting pretty atop the division at 6-2.

Instead of worrying about what it says on Chad Johnson's jersey, the NFL needs to look at some of its officials and consider putting a few out to pasture in exchange for guys who can still see. I (like most other Cincinnatians) had high hopes for the Bengals this season, and although they aren't out of it yet, there is still half a season left for officials to rob them of.

Andrew Mayhew, Pleasant Ridge

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/EDIT0202/611070318/1090/EDIT

HometownGal
11-07-2006, 05:19 PM
BOO FREAKITY HOO. The assbag who wrote that must have cried himself to death last season in Seattle and was resurrected in Shitsinnati.

I guess Cartoon's 2 picks and his measly 195 yards along with Big Yap's great 32 yard performance yesterday should be blamed on the striped men too, eh? :toofunny:

I have to admit, though, that that non-call on the Raven who clearly interfered with IBoinkMyMama was a bad call - that was clearly defensive pass interference, but who's to say the Bungles would have scored on that drive anyway? Woulda, coulda, shoulda - bullshit.

stillers4me
11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
BOO FREAKITY HOO. The assbag who wrote that must have cried himself to death last season in Seattle and was resurrected in Shitsinnati.

I guess Cartoon's 2 picks and his measly 195 yards along with Big Yap's great 32 yard performance yesterday should be blamed on the striped men too, eh? :toofunny:

I have to admit, though, that that non-call on the Raven who clearly interfered with IBoinkMyMama was a bad call - that was clearly defensive pass interference, but who's to say the Bungles would have scored on that drive anyway? Woulda, coulda, shoulda - bullshit.

:toofunny: IBoinkMyMama.......

HometownGal
11-07-2006, 06:50 PM
:toofunny: IBoinkMyMama.......

He probably boinked his daddy, too - y'know how those Ishkabibbles are - man, woman, camel, drain pipe, car muffler, hole in the wall, etc. I've hated that sonofabitch since he wiped his shoes with the TT - I hope on New Years Eve, the Steelers D shoves their TTs up his ass. :tt02:

stillers4me
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
He probably boinked his daddy, too - y'know how those Ishkabibbles are - man, woman, camel, drain pipe, car muffler, hole in the wall, etc. I've hated that sonofabitch since he wiped his shoes with the TT - I hope on New Years Eve, the Steelers D shoves their TTs up his ass. :tt02:

I like you more and more everyday, HTG!!!! :cheers:

boLT fan
11-07-2006, 07:14 PM
They sound a lot like most Raider fans.

floodcitygirl
11-07-2006, 08:08 PM

I have to admit, though, that that non-call on the Raven who clearly interfered with IBoinkMyMama was a bad call - that was clearly defensive pass interference, but who's to say the Bungles would have scored on that drive anyway? Woulda, coulda, shoulda - bullshit.Rare form there, HTG! :rofl:

tony hipchest
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
and if they wouldnt draft thugs, and could keep mini t.o. under control they would be 8-0.

and if the league just consisted of them and the cardinals they might actually win a superbowl (after about 5 tries). but i doubt it.

whining little excuse making bitches.

MACH1
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Dont forget about the 5 downs the bungels got instead of 4 that the refs missed. 4 tries for a single first down and punt on 5, doesnt seem fair to me.:dang:

CJ#85
11-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Uh, laugh it up. You know yourselves you'd be whining about the calls too. Should the team have played better in the Tampa game where it didn't come down to that call? Yes I blame the no pass interference call as the nail in the Bengals coffin on Sunday. You guys were frustrated about that Palumalu call in Indy. If you had lost, you know you would have been questioning the NFL screwed you from getting a Superbowl. Most everyone from other teams thinks your Superbowl was poorly officiated and that the Seahawks got robbed.

I'm saying yes, a team should play better to overcome close calls, but it is the NFL. Good teams play each other in close battles all the time, and to have a close game ruined by a call, that just doesn't seem fair. Flip it around, if one of your players had made that sack on Gradkowski, and your player was said to be roughing the passer, the Bucs get the ball with excellent field position, scoring and running out the clock. You know you'd be angry. Maybe your team shouldn't have gotten to that point, but it did. They had a shot to win, and it was taken on a bad call. It's frustrating, but you just have to move on and hope you can play well enough to overcome bad calls the following week.

stlrtruck
11-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Uh, laugh it up. You know yourselves you'd be whining about the calls too. Should the team have played better in the Tampa game where it didn't come down to that call? Yes I blame the no pass interference call as the nail in the Bengals coffin on Sunday. You guys were frustrated about that Palumalu call in Indy. If you had lost, you know you would have been questioning the NFL screwed you from getting a Superbowl. Most everyone from other teams thinks your Superbowl was poorly officiated and that the Seahawks got robbed.

I'm saying yes, a team should play better to overcome close calls, but it is the NFL. Good teams play each other in close battles all the time, and to have a close game ruined by a call, that just doesn't seem fair. Flip it around, if one of your players had made that sack on Gradkowski, and your player was said to be roughing the passer, the Bucs get the ball with excellent field position, scoring and running out the clock. You know you'd be angry. Maybe your team shouldn't have gotten to that point, but it did. They had a shot to win, and it was taken on a bad call. It's frustrating, but you just have to move on and hope you can play well enough to overcome bad calls the following week.

Hey, we've had a few games ruined by bull crap calls, only to turn around and have those same calls missed against us.

And of course the first time someone wants to bring up the refs, they look back to the Super Bowl. The point of the matter is simple - YOU HAVE TO OVERCOME ADVERSITY and sometimes that means the idiotic refs.

The bottom line is this: If you're supposedly better than the team you are playing it shouldn't come down to a end of the game penalty, you should blow them out! When you fail to do that, then you have no one, not even the refs, to blame!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM

..actually..its a llama..as in TJ Humpsallama...(and why he is banned from the Cincinnatti zoo)....No one told him there is a difference between a petting zoo...and a heavy petting zoo..:dang:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
....If you had lost, you know you would have been questioning the NFL screwed you from getting a Superbowl.

...and there is the difference ..we got ripped off and WON...thats what winners do...losers make excuses. Win a playoff game ...then tell me that its the officiating that has been the reason for your problems. Until then..as far as anyone outside of Cincy is concerned...SAME OLE BUNGALS!!!

floodcitygirl
11-08-2006, 10:47 AM
...and there is the difference ..we got ripped off and WON...thats what winners do...losers make excuses. Win a playoff game ...then tell me that its the officiating that has been the reason for your problems. Until then..as far as anyone outside of Cincy is concerned...SAME OLE BUNGALS!!!And even some of us inside Cincy! :grin:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
And even some of us inside Cincy! :grin:

Point taken..agreed:wink02:

CJ#85
11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm saying it's the NFL, and when two teams play each other, and both teams are good teams, games are going to be close. Should they come down to calls, no, but sometimes they are too tough to overcome.

You overcame a little adversity in the game vs. Indy. So what, the Seahawks were dealt so much adversity against you guys in the Superbowl, there was no way they could overcome it. The refs were obviously on your side. Everyone knows the Steelers get the good calls. When they don't their owner gets fined thousands of dollars for whining. Don't complain about us whining, Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis hasn't gotten fined for complaints at all this year. Your own owner whines about a bad game, so don't act like we're all bad.

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Don't complain about us whining, Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis hasn't gotten fined for complaints at all this year. Your own owner whines about a bad game, so don't act like we're all bad.instead your owner whines about a collective bargaining agreement that 30 other owners agreed on.

mike and marvin do a great job. has any other team this season had TWO players suspended for being druggies and thugs? :thumbsup:

dude. no matter what arrangements of letters and words you put on this board you will not turn the bengals into a superior team. youre fighting a losing battle that you will NEVER win.

CJ#85
11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Ya, well, Mikey can be a bit of a tight wad. Yes, actually, San Diego has had a lot of criminal problems on their team this season. If you need an article, I'll go ahead and post a link. None of us fans are happy with the players for doing that, it's just we're not going to sit around and hate our team simply because a hanful, 5 players out of our roster have been idiots. There are a lot of good people on that team. Carson, Willie, Sam, and Shayne for example, all do a lot to help the community.

No matter what arragnement of letters you put up this year, the Steelers will still not make the playoffs. :jammin:

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Ya, well, Mikey can be a bit of a tight wad. Yes, actually, San Diego has had a lot of criminal problems on their team this season. If you need an article, I'll go ahead and post a link. None of us fans are happy with the players for doing that, it's just we're not going to sit around and hate our team simply because a hanful, 5 players out of our roster have been idiots. There are a lot of good people on that team. Carson, Willie, Sam, and Shayne for example, all do a lot to help the community.

No matter what arragnement of letters you put up this year, the Steelers will still not make the playoffs. :jammin:sd has had some problems but only merriman has been suspended.

SteelersGirlTN7
11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
No matter what arragnement of letters you put up this year, the Steelers will still not make the playoffs. :jammin:

LOL Ok, so we whine a little bit this year ... we've had a bad season... STEELERS fans are not used to these kinds of seasons... so pardon us if we whine a little ...

I guess y'all don't whine about it because it's been a standard for the Bengals for so long... you don't know what to do with yourselves now that you've made it ... but, how about you WIN a playoff game first before you get too big for your britches .. LOL

floodcitygirl
11-08-2006, 10:06 PM
but, how about you WIN a playoff game first before you get too big for your britches .. LOL
Well put!!! :sofunny:

CJ#85
11-08-2006, 11:40 PM
How about you actually "win" a "Superbowl" instead of letting the refs hand it to you . :yawn:

stillers4me
11-09-2006, 06:04 AM
How about you actually "win" a "Superbowl" instead of letting the refs hand it to you . :yawn:

We have.......5 more than you have. :dang:

stlrtruck
11-09-2006, 06:55 AM

Here we go again. The "I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO SAY SO LET ME BLAME THE REFS FOR YOUR SUPER BOWL BECAUSE MY TEAM CAN'T WIN ONE" media regurgitated response! :yawn:

Do you have anything else to add besides that? I guess the refs shouldn't call penalties anymore? Or should they only call the ones that go against the Steelers? Or maybe they should just throw the games so the bungles can win them?

Better idea, have your team over come adversity, like the Steelers did last year to win the Super Bowl.

MACH1
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM

How bout you win a playoff game before you open your piehole.:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
11-09-2006, 10:45 AM
How about you actually "win" a "Superbowl" instead of letting the refs hand it to you . :yawn:you must be talking about that play where the ref took the ball from under center and handed it to willie parker who then raced 75 yards into the endzone.

or maybe the play where ben handed the ball off to the ref who then tossed it 40 yards downfield to ward for another td.

them refs played good that day.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2006, 11:30 AM

LOL...lets hypothetically say that we lost that game...HMMMM let me do the math....YEP...4 more Lombardies than your pitiful franchise has ever earned

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CJ#85
11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
The only ones that had to overcome adversity is the Seahawks, and you can't climb out of a pit of mud if someone keeps pouring it on you.

SUPER BOWL XL - SEAHAWKS vs STEELERS: Let me start by say I'm glad the Steelers won. For financial reasons (insert wink and nod here), I was definitely cheering for Pittsburgh. That said, the Seahawks were robbed. Super Bowl XL showcased a classic example of NFL officials who got too involved in a game and directly affected the outcome. It is an ongoing problem in the NFL and will not change unless enough fans, writers, and sportscasters point out the problem and demand change. The Steelers had a great year and deserve to be champions. But who know how the game would have turned out had the officials backed off and let the players determine the outcome.

First, with just over two minutes remaining in the first quarter, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's 16 yard touchdown pass to Darrell Jackson was nullified on a bogus offensive pass interference call. Yeah, Jackson touched Steeler safety Chris Hope. And Hope touched Jackson. Neither contact had any impact on the touchdown catch, but that didn't stop the officials from jumping in and making the first big call of the game. During the halftime show, Michael Irvin described the call as "ticky-tack". Steve Young simply said "That is an absolute touchdown". Both are correct. It was a bad penalty that had no business being called...not in a game of such magnitude. It is very interesting to note that way back in the Week 2 match up of Chiefs at Raiders, Raider receiver Randy Moss was flagged on a nearly identical offensive pass interference call that wiped out a Raiders touchdown. Guess which officiating crew blew the call back in week 2? C'mon...I know you can say it...Bill Leavy's crew! The NFL later apologized to the Raiders and admitted the interference on Moss was a bad call. I wonder if they'll issue a similar apology to the Seahawks?

As bad as the offensive pass interference call was, the holding call against Seattle's Sean Locklear was perhaps even more devastating. Trailing 14-10 early in the 4th quarter, Hasselbeck hit tight end Jeremy Stevens on an 18 yard completion to the Steelers one yard line. Unfortunately, a holding call negated the catch. Replay showed no hold, at least not any hold that doesn't occur on virtually every single pass play in an NFL game. Said commentator John Madden "I didn't see holding". Wrote Skip Bayless for ESPN "On the replay, I couldn't see Locklear do anything different from what most linemen do on every play. These days, you have to tackle to hold, and Locklear didn't tackle...Phantom, killer penalty." Again, on a marginal or "ticky-tack" situation, an NFL official throws a flag and negates a huge play, directly impacting the outcome of the game. It's the Super Bowl! Why are you throwing a flag on a play where no holding is visible? It's almost like cops on the freeway. Everyone speeds, but they occasionally pull someone over just to let us all know they're watching. It sure seems like NFL officials get into the same routine...occasionally calling a random, marginal, or imaginary holding just to remind the offensive line they're being watched.

And, of course there's the absolutely horrible low block call on Hasselbeck following his interception. Shortly after the huge holding call, Hasselbeck was picked off near the goal line by Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor who brought it back to the 29 yard line. For some preposterous reason, Hasselbeck was penalized for a low block call on the play where he made the tackle. "We think that is a bad call" said announcer Al Michaels following the replay and commercial break. Yeah, you think? It's perfectly legal to tackle someone at the knees; you just can't block someone at or below the knees. But since Hasselbeck was clearly the guy who tackled Taylor, how could the officials possibly believe he was blocking and not tackling? It was a horrible call that moved Pittsburgh near midfield where they soon after put the game away on a trick play. "The officials thought they saw something they didn't see" said commentator John Madden.

One final play worth mentioning...the Roethlisberger touchdown run. If you saw the play, you know what I'm referring to. Simply, Roethlisberger scored on a 1 yard touchdown run where it didn't appear the ball ever broke the plane of the goal line. While I never saw any replay showing the ball break the plane, there is a moment on the replay where you just can't tell. The replay rule clearly states that there must be "incontrovertible visual evidence" to overturn a call. Given that the original call on the field was a touchdown, the call had to stand.

Overall, I cannot recall a Super Bowl with more officiating controversy. It's truly a shame the officials played such an integral part with numerous bogus calls against the Seahawks. Nobody pays to see the officials. I want to see the PLAYERS determine the outcome. Perhaps one day, the NFL will take note and the Super Bowl champions will actually be decided by the teams on the field and not the guys wearing stripes.
Other Opinions...

"Here's what referee Bill Leavy's crew did, point blank: It robbed Seattle. The Seahawks could have played better, sure. They could have done more to overcome the poor officiating. We understand that those things happen and all, but even with all the points Seattle left on the field, there's a good chance the Seahawks would have scored more than the Steelers if the officials had let the players play." - Michael Smith, ESPN.com

"The first-quarter offensive pass interference called on Darrell Jackson that turned a touchdown into a field goal was robbery enough. But the fourth-quarter holding call on Sean Locklear made you wonder whether the refs had even less of Aretha's r-e-s-p-E-c-t for your Seahawks than I do...on this night, the Steelers had their own version of your 12th Man. He wore a striped shirt and a whistle. He threw a flag."- Skip Bayless, ESPN.com

"Like a crazed CIA analyst running through the halls of Langley screaming into open offices about some impending calamity, I've been shrieking hysterically about the terrible officiating in the NFL and warning that some day the brutal calls were going to affect the outcome of the Super Bowl. That some day was Sunday. Every single questionable, marginal or outright bad call went against the Seahawks." - Kevin Hench, FOXSports.com

"this will always be remembered as the Super Bowl that the referees screwed up." - Aaron Schatz, FOXSports.com

"the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers on the vast majority of plays and still lost, thanks largely to two dubious penalty calls that cost Seattle a TD and a first-and-goal at the 1...Seattle fans have a right to feel sick. Their team just suffered the most unjust loss in Super Bowl history." - Kevin Hench, FOXSports.com

http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/pages/history.html

As far as the other 4, I have an article listing the high steroid use at the time of the Steelers when they won those.

sumo
11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
This Super Bowl XL conspiracy stuff is getting old - I don't think I can take much more of it - the thing with the steroids in the 70s -- guess what? - steroids were legal then - you could go to the doctor and get a perscription for steroids - that's why the NFL didn't test for them back then - when I was in high school in the early 80s - guys even at the high school level were openly using steroids with a doctor's supervision...I watched a TV special with Lou Ferrigno explaining why he took steroids to maintain his size for his Incredible Hulk show - it was out in the open and there was no such thing as a Shawn Merriman type suspension - so to say the Steelers won because they were all taking roids makes it sound like they had this huge advantage - they weren't using steroids any more than any other team in the NFL....

silver & black
11-09-2006, 06:15 PM
They sound a lot like most Raider fans.

:blah: :blah: :blah: ... :flipoff:

CJ#85
11-09-2006, 06:16 PM
If you're really concerned with being fair, based on the artilce above, you might as well return last year's "Superbowl" ring.

MACH1
11-09-2006, 06:35 PM
If you're really concerned with being fair, based on the artilce above, you might as well return last year's "Superbowl" ring.

20 Reasons Seattle Can't Blame the Refs

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did
2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.
3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.
4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals - that was Seattle.
5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pittsburgh territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.
6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pittsburgh's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.
7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds. away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's offense.
8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pittsburgh's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.
9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeramy Stevens.
10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG,in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs.
who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

And Seattle, if you're Steel salty and Steel reaching for excuses...

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pittsburgh the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.
12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas-gift- wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pittsburgh territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.
13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy interception early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.
14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.
15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy Polamalu's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch).
16. The Refs weren't the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Steeler DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.
17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Steeler QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an interception to...that again would go to Seattle.
18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often...that would be the Pittsburgh Steelers
20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there were not any penalties...One team made plays and one team didn't. The end result was the final score. Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.

stillers4me
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM

ok, ok. Here's the rings......your team can have them resized. Here's the trophy.....hope it's not scratched. The whole freakin' world just KNOWS that the Bun-gals absolutely would have won the SuperBowl if poor poor Kitty Carson hadn't been "taken out".
So here, you won't even have to play any playoff games and beat the best of the best to get it.

Is that what you want to hear after posting dozens of these whiney assed posts??????

Sorry, scmuck......ain't gonna happen. Go home. :coffee:

CJ#85
11-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Uh, it really doesn't matter what the Steelers did or didn't do in that game, what matters is, Seattle did a lot of great things too, but they never got a chance due to your yellow and black zebras.

My posts haven't been as whiney as yours any way, you're the one who uses comebacks such as bozo and scmuck. Where's the mods, no personal attacks? I've never personally insulted you. It looks like someone is just getting a little defensive. I've touched a nerve, have I?

By the way, we don't want your smelly rings. No one wants a few rings from the 70s. We certainly don't want your tainted rings from last years fiasco. Your young quarterback had the worst rating ever posted by a quarterback in the "Superbowl." Your team may have done some good things, but all the good things Seattle did was shut down by your yellow and black zebra friends.

We'll get our own. I'm willing to wager we get one before or if you get another one.

SteelCityMan786
11-09-2006, 07:55 PM
20 Reasons Seattle Can't Blame the Refs

1. The Refs didn't give up the longest run in SB history...Seattle's defense did
2. The Refs didn't bite on a 43 yd trick play, Randle to Ward for a TD...Seattle's defense did.
3. The Refs didn't allow Ben to scramble around on a 3rd and 28 and complete a long pass to the 2 yd. line...Seattle's defense did.
4. The Refs didn't miss two field goals - that was Seattle.
5. The Refs didn't fail to step out of bounds late in the 1st half to stop the clock in Pittsburgh territory in a crunch time situation...Seattle's offense did.
6. The Refs didn't let the 1st half clock tick down from 48 seconds all the way down to 13 seconds before finally running their next play at Pittsburgh's 36 yd line...Seattle's offense did.
7. And on this play, 3rd down, 53 yds. away from a FG, it wasn't the Refs who tried and failed to go deep for a TD rather than a safer 5-7 yd play and timeout setting up a much easier FG attempt....that, again, would be Seattle's offense.
8. The Refs didn't get confused by Pittsburgh's zone defense and throw an INT...that would be Seattle's QB.
9. The Refs didn't let a little physical contact intimidate them from catching 4 very catchable passes...that would be the Seattle TE Jeramy Stevens.
10. With approx. 20 seconds left in the game, knowing they need a TD and FG,in no particular order, and in easy FG range on 4th down, it wasn't the Refs.
who ignored the FG and elected to throw up a prayer trying for a TD...that AGAIN would be Seattle.

And Seattle, if you're Steel salty and Steel reaching for excuses...

11. The Refs didn't constantly punt deep into the end zone, repeatedly giving Pittsburgh the ball at the 20 yd line...that of course was Seattle.
12. It wasn't the Refs who received a Christmas-gift- wrapped easy INT lobbed in perfect position to return deep into Pittsburgh territory...the lucky beneficiary of that break would be Seattle.
13. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when a Steeler DB dropped an easy interception early in the game...that too would be a break for Seattle.
14. It wasn't the Refs who caught a break when a Steeler WR dropped a very catchable TD pass...that break again would go to Seattle.
15. It wasn't the scapegoat Refs that received a break when a WR caught the ball, turned, stepped, was hit hard enough to cause a fumble, and then ruled INCOMPLETE...that would be of course, another chance for Seattle.(this was an interesting call considering that after Troy Polamalu's famous overruled Int, the NFL stated that it WAS a catch. If so, than this definitely WAS a catch).
16. The Refs weren't the ones who caught a break when at the conclusion of a 2nd qtr play, as a Steeler DE was walking away, the Seattle Center blindsided the defenseless player, leveling him to the ground. This mysteriously unseen crime was again another break for Seattle.
17. It wasn't the Refs who got a break when Steeler QB Big Ben was blocked in the back as he pursued the DB who he'd tossed an interception to...that again would go to Seattle.
18. It wasn't the Refs who stopped Seattle RB Alexander in a few key situations. That would be the Pittsburgh Steelers.
19. It wasn't the Refs who converted many of their 3rd downs yet stopped their opponent on 3rd down often...that would be the Pittsburgh Steelers
20. And the very bottom line is this...On plays when there were not any penalties...One team made plays and one team didn't. The end result was the final score. Seattle was outcoached and outplayed.

I never knew Refs could win games. Refs are human and will screw up, Seattle didn't overcome the problems, and they lost. Enough said. Let's move on with our lives.

stillers4me
11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Uh, it really doesn't matter what the Steelers did or didn't do in that game, what matters is, Seattle did a lot of great things too, but they never got a chance due to your yellow and black zebras.

My posts haven't been as whiney as yours any way, you're the one who uses comebacks such as bozo and scmuck. Where's the mods, no personal attacks? I've never personally insulted you. It looks like someone is just getting a little defensive. I've touched a nerve, have I?

By the way, we don't want your smelly rings. No one wants a few rings from the 70s. We certainly don't want your tainted rings from last years fiasco. Your young quarterback had the worst rating ever posted by a quarterback in the "Superbowl." Your team may have done some good things, but all the good things Seattle did was shut down by your yellow and black zebra friends.

We'll get our own. I'm willing to wager we get one before or if you get another one.

When you come to a Steeler board and constantly bitch and moan about "tainted" Super Bowls and yellow and black refs (haven't met one of those yet myself) then yes, I'd call that whiney.

CJ#85
11-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey, just pointing out the truth about the "Superbowl." Obviously your record is so poor this year, that you have nothing else to do then gloat about the Bengals "bad years." Fine, go ahead, but I'm not going to sit around and let you bash my team when I and many others feel you didn't even win the "Superbowl" fairly.

All you like to do is make fun of the Bengals, when your own team is performing on a very crappy level this year.

I'll still wager we make the Superbowl before you do and win one before or if you win one again.

stillers4me
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
All you like to do is make fun of the Bengals, when your own team is performing on a very crappy level this year.

The Ben-gals make it so easy.

And nobody here ever said our team wasn't playing crappy. But you don't see me sitting around all night at some Bengals board trying to convince them that my team is great and take away from their accomplishments. I don't need to......my own team has so many more than yours. :yawn:

tony hipchest
11-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey, just pointing out the truth about the "Superbowl." Obviously your record is so poor this year, that you have nothing else to do then gloat about the Bengals "bad years." Fine, go ahead, but I'm not going to sit around and let you bash my team when I and many others feel you didn't even win the "Superbowl" fairly.

I'll still wager we make the Superbowl before you do and win one before or if you win one again.

cj. you seem like an aaight dude. but before you go pinting out the "truths" about the sb you might wanna get your facts straight. other qb's have had a lower rating in the sb. ben just has the lowest rating of a WINNING qb in the sb.

did you catch that? WINNING

let me repeat. WINNING

did you conviniently forget that a. randle el has the HIGHEST passer rating of ANYONE to throw a pass in the SB???

dont be a hypocrite and leave that little fact out.

once again- i rule :yeehaw:

MattsMe
11-09-2006, 11:46 PM
cj. you seem like an aaight dude. but before you go pinting out the "truths" about the sb you might wanna get your facts straight. other qb's have had a lower rating in the sb. ben just has the lowest rating of a WINNING qb in the sb.

did you catch that? WINNING

let me repeat. WINNING

did you conviniently forget that a. randle el has the HIGHEST passer rating of ANYONE to throw a pass in the SB???

dont be a hypocrite and leave that little fact out.

once again- i rule :yeehaw:

Beat me to it.

Oh, and CJ, it's Super Bowl - two words, not one.

CJ#85
11-10-2006, 12:01 AM
So what, he still has the lowest of any winning quarterback in the Super Bowl (thanks MattsMe, I screwed up there) 41 years. What was it? 22. something. That's bad. Also, Randel El, uh left your team. The guy got a lucky break when the Redskins took him. Hey, they have a better record than you at 3-5. Once again, I still don't consider you "winning." I consider you getting all the good calls and getting the ring because of it. The Seahawks were thrust into a mud pit, and every time they tried to climb out, the refs kept dumping crap on them. :banging:

Also, just wanted to add, that I'm a girl so I'd actually be a dudette.:smile:

stlrtruck
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
The only ones that had to overcome adversity is the Seahawks, and you can't climb out of a pit of mud if someone keeps pouring it on you.

First, with just over two minutes remaining in the first quarter, Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck's 16 yard touchdown pass to Darrell Jackson was nullified on a bogus offensive pass interference call. Yeah, Jackson touched Steeler safety Chris Hope. And Hope touched Jackson. Neither contact had any impact on the touchdown catch, but that didn't stop the officials from jumping in and making the first big call of the game. During the halftime show, Michael Irvin described the call as "ticky-tack". Steve Young simply said "That is an absolute touchdown". Both are correct. It was a bad penalty that had no business being called...not in a game of such magnitude. It is very interesting to note that way back in the Week 2 match up of Chiefs at Raiders, Raider receiver Randy Moss was flagged on a nearly identical offensive pass interference call that wiped out a Raiders touchdown. Guess which officiating crew blew the call back in week 2? C'mon...I know you can say it...Bill Leavy's crew! The NFL later apologized to the Raiders and admitted the interference on Moss was a bad call. I wonder if they'll issue a similar apology to the Seahawks?

As bad as the offensive pass interference call was, the holding call against Seattle's Sean Locklear was perhaps even more devastating. Trailing 14-10 early in the 4th quarter, Hasselbeck hit tight end Jeremy Stevens on an 18 yard completion to the Steelers one yard line. Unfortunately, a holding call negated the catch. Replay showed no hold, at least not any hold that doesn't occur on virtually every single pass play in an NFL game. Said commentator John Madden "I didn't see holding". Wrote Skip Bayless for ESPN "On the replay, I couldn't see Locklear do anything different from what most linemen do on every play. These days, you have to tackle to hold, and Locklear didn't tackle...Phantom, killer penalty." Again, on a marginal or "ticky-tack" situation, an NFL official throws a flag and negates a huge play, directly impacting the outcome of the game. It's the Super Bowl! Why are you throwing a flag on a play where no holding is visible? It's almost like cops on the freeway. Everyone speeds, but they occasionally pull someone over just to let us all know they're watching. It sure seems like NFL officials get into the same routine...occasionally calling a random, marginal, or imaginary holding just to remind the offensive line they're being watched.

And, of course there's the absolutely horrible low block call on Hasselbeck following his interception. Shortly after the huge holding call, Hasselbeck was picked off near the goal line by Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor who brought it back to the 29 yard line. For some preposterous reason, Hasselbeck was penalized for a low block call on the play where he made the tackle. "We think that is a bad call" said announcer Al Michaels following the replay and commercial break. Yeah, you think? It's perfectly legal to tackle someone at the knees; you just can't block someone at or below the knees. But since Hasselbeck was clearly the guy who tackled Taylor, how could the officials possibly believe he was blocking and not tackling? It was a horrible call that moved Pittsburgh near midfield where they soon after put the game away on a trick play. "The officials thought they saw something they didn't see" said commentator John Madden.

One final play worth mentioning...the Roethlisberger touchdown run. If you saw the play, you know what I'm referring to. Simply, Roethlisberger scored on a 1 yard touchdown run where it didn't appear the ball ever broke the plane of the goal line. While I never saw any replay showing the ball break the plane, there is a moment on the replay where you just can't tell. The replay rule clearly states that there must be "incontrovertible visual evidence" to overturn a call. Given that the original call on the field was a touchdown, the call had to stand.

Overall, I cannot recall a Super Bowl with more officiating controversy. It's truly a shame the officials played such an integral part with numerous bogus calls against the Seahawks. Nobody pays to see the officials. I want to see the PLAYERS determine the outcome. Perhaps one day, the NFL will take note and the Super Bowl champions will actually be decided by the teams on the field and not the guys wearing stripes.
Other Opinions...

"Here's what referee Bill Leavy's crew did, point blank: It robbed Seattle. The Seahawks could have played better, sure. They could have done more to overcome the poor officiating. We understand that those things happen and all, but even with all the points Seattle left on the field, there's a good chance the Seahawks would have scored more than the Steelers if the officials had let the players play." - Michael Smith, ESPN.com

"The first-quarter offensive pass interference called on Darrell Jackson that turned a touchdown into a field goal was robbery enough. But the fourth-quarter holding call on Sean Locklear made you wonder whether the refs had even less of Aretha's r-e-s-p-E-c-t for your Seahawks than I do...on this night, the Steelers had their own version of your 12th Man. He wore a striped shirt and a whistle. He threw a flag."- Skip Bayless, ESPN.com

"Like a crazed CIA analyst running through the halls of Langley screaming into open offices about some impending calamity, I've been shrieking hysterically about the terrible officiating in the NFL and warning that some day the brutal calls were going to affect the outcome of the Super Bowl. That some day was Sunday. Every single questionable, marginal or outright bad call went against the Seahawks." - Kevin Hench, FOXSports.com

"this will always be remembered as the Super Bowl that the referees screwed up." - Aaron Schatz, FOXSports.com

"the Seahawks outplayed the Steelers on the vast majority of plays and still lost, thanks largely to two dubious penalty calls that cost Seattle a TD and a first-and-goal at the 1...Seattle fans have a right to feel sick. Their team just suffered the most unjust loss in Super Bowl history." - Kevin Hench, FOXSports.com

http://www.provencehome.org/refsuck/pages/history.html

As far as the other 4, I have an article listing the high steroid use at the time of the Steelers when they won those.

So just because a penalty is labeled "ticky-tack" the officials shouldn't call it anymore? As far as the ESPN commentators, they're the media, and as a sports fan, they're input is negated immediately. Especially Michael "I push off on every play but get away with it" Irvin. He was one of the biggest cry babies in the NFL. He should have been flagged for all that stuff he cried about.

Second, I believe you should really take a look at the NFL Rule Book. Especially the holding portion of said rule book. Any hold that wraps around a guys arm and he is pulled to the ground - 9 times out of 10 it will be called. If you look at the holding call the OL puts his arm around the guy. Was it for long, not that I recall but long enough for the ref to see it and call holding.

Back to the media. Again, I think they were all cheering for Seattle and therefore when they couldn't overcome adversity, it upset them so they've got to take up good air time and paper with their idiotic comments.

As for letting the players play, I wish the NFL would go back to that policy. However, they (the competition committee) have taken that part of the game away and players must now deal with that part of it. And that happens to be the "ticky-tack" fouls that occur on almost every play!

I mean you should be happy, I've seen the refs blow many a Offensive Pass Interference calls against CJ, TJ, and Cell Block Henry!

CJ#85
11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, many people, fans of teams besides the Bengals, have claimed this was one of the worst officiated "Super Bowls" they had ever seen. The media seemed to me that they wanted the Steelers to win. Almost all the promos of players holding the Lombardi that they were showing before the game, invloved Steeler players. All their promos had Steeler players instead of Seahawks players. It was like it was automatically planned for the Steelers to win before the game was even played.

I will say I think the NFL needs to hire full time officials, the calls have been horrible, not just for the Bengals, but for a lot of teams this season. Mike Carey is one of my least favorite officials. He blows calls week in and week out. The players need to determine who wins a game, not the NFL's crappy part time officials that work second jobs during the week. Until then, there will always be teams that will be affected by negative calls that will sometimes be difficult to overcome. A team should only have to focus on beating the other team, not on overcoming the officials.

tony hipchest
11-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Also, just wanted to add, that I'm a girl so I'd actually be a dudette.:smile:my bad dudette. unfortunately i cant see your genetailia through the screen (not yet anyways :chuckle:)

i was wondering why your posts lacked the testosterone driven gibberish of most of the bengalfans here.

anyways, randle el being with the skins takes nothing away from his contributions to the steelers win vs. the hawks. just like kimos hit on carson takes nothing away from the amazing play the steelers (ben, el, and wilson) unleashed on the bengals last year in the playoffs

better teams win, no matter what the adversity is.

CJ#85
11-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Whoa, Tony, I guess you're saying the Bengals are the better team this year. After all, we beat you. You've lost 6 games, which means at least 6 of your opponents have been better than you. :banana: :sofunny:

silver & black
11-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Whoa, Tony, I guess you're saying the Bengals are the better team this year. After all, we beat you. You've lost 6 games, which means at least 6 of your opponents have been better than you. :banana: :sofunny:

Well, I have to step up here and say at least one of those teams is NOT better than the the Steelers. The Raiders' D played very well that day, but the Raiders are NOT better than the Steelers... just in the right game on the right day.

meanjoecoop
11-11-2006, 10:17 AM

That?s why they call it a "S E A S O N?. It?s the cumulative performance after 16 games that get you into the playoffs or not.

That being said?I must refer you to the following site: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/matchups/steelers-bengals.html

It gives you a statistical breakdown of both teams records so far this season. As you will see, we lead you in almost every bracket with the exception of punt returns. Which we all know has been our ?Achilles Heel? this season.

If you want to compare teams beyond the W?s and L?s, we are by far the better team.

I doubt you will want to continue your line of rhetoric after you read the stats. What am I thinking?you got ?who dey? on the brain. You can?t be reasoned with.

CJ#85
11-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I've seen your statistics. You do have better statistics, but you haven't been able to win. The difference is we have some big time explosive players such as Chris, Chad, TJ, and Rudi. You really only have Heinz Ward who we can double team. We can win off of big plays that save us. All it comes down to is the W/L. That's what coaches say. There are no moral victories, it comes down to getting that check in the win column.

meanjoecoop
11-11-2006, 06:47 PM
I've seen your statistics. You do have better statistics, but you haven't been able to win. The difference is we have some big time explosive players such as Chris, Chad, TJ, and Rudi. You really only have Heinz Ward who we can double team.

I knew you'd say that.

We can win off of big plays that save us.

Couldnt save your last 2 games. Both last minute drives stalled.

All it comes down to is the W/L. That's what coaches say. There are no moral victories, it comes down to getting that check in the win column.

Yes, best outta 16 + wild card playoff win + 2 playoff wins + a Super Bowl win. Its that last one thats the kicker. Last time I checked we've done that 5 times. :checkit:

CJ#85
11-11-2006, 08:35 PM
You want to argue statistics now instead of wins. Where will it stop? Will you tell us you have more bathrooms in your stadium? (In fact, your stadium has been severely criticized. It's almost an eyesore next to your excellent baseball stadium.) You never mentioned probably that in prior Superbowls, particularly against Dallas, you recieved favorable calls, and the Cowboys had better statistics. Keep in mind that Roger Staubach is from Cincinnati. The point is this, you won because of referees and split ends like Swann making big plays. I guess you're argument of statistics is about as effective as your special teams unit. :banana:

You only won the Superbowl four times, the other time the refs won it for you as I proved in my above article. Besides, I'm concerned about this season, not being a history major.:coffee:

MACH1
11-13-2006, 11:17 AM
and the Bungholes still SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! And I can give 49 reasons why :chicken:
:sign09: :sign01:

stlrtruck
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Still blaming the refs for our Super Bowl victory.
You stated you wanted to talk records not stats.
So here's a record for you - WE HAVE 5 SUPER BOWL RINGS YOU HAVE NONE!!!

Yes, this year you momentarily have a better record than us, but as with most bungle fans, you're more worried about one or two games during the regular season.

Just like last year (a lesson in history), when you thought the bungles were top dog because they won the AFCN. And then what happen? Here's another history lesson - YOU LOST WHEN IT MATTERED MOST!!!