PDA

View Full Version : Smizik: RB Parker's words ring true, sting Steelers

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Bob Smizik: RB Parker's words ring true, sting Steelers
Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Of the approximately 1.2 billion words that have been written and spoken to explain the unraveling of the Steelers' season, the most honest and most on the mark are the comments of running back Willie Parker.

Parker, one of the younger and less sophisticated Steelers, spoke to the heart of what's wrong with this team, and he said it with only a comparatively few words after the loss Sunday to Denver.

"Last year, we were getting the job done, we just seemed hungrier. This year, it seems like we already got what we want, what's the use? What's the use of going out there and selling out?"

Out of the mouths of babes ...

The truth hurt, which is why there will be attempts to refute what Parker said. But there's no getting away from those comments. They explain what ails this team. The hunger and drive that moved the 2005 Steelers to come back from the brink of playoff expulsion to win the Super Bowl championship is missing. This is something that has been speculated upon, but only by people outside the team. These were words coming from inside the team, from a player more apt to speak from his heart than some of his more experienced, media-savvy teammates.

It should surprise no one.

This proud franchise had hungered for a Super Bowl. It had gone more than a quarter of a century without one. The coach hungered even more for such a win because it would, and did, validate his career. The players, more than anyone, wanted it. It really isn't all about winning and the ring, which is what they like to say. It's really about money. But these guys all have money. So this is what they wanted. Just like it validated Bill Cowher, it validated them. They are Super Bowl champions. Nothing, not even their 2-6 record, can take that away from them.

The Steelers are going through the kind of letdown that is common to Super Bowl champions. Winning it is so huge that a letdown is more the rule than the exception. Maybe Parker's words will wake them up and make them realize they have been remiss in their focus and their dedication, not that any reawakening could dramatically change the course of this season.

His critics will point to Cowher for failing to motivate his players. Cowher must accept some of the blame. He's not nearly demanding enough of his players. But the players must take most of the blame. In the end, it's up to them to determine about what kind of dedication they have. They know that dedication is more than talk. It's doing. It's knowing in your heart, not your head, that you care.

Of course, there will be attempts to back away from Parker's comments. When Parker meets with the media today, there's a good chance he'll use the favorite excuse of anyone who makes a comment that draws unwanted attention: He was taken out of context. Except his words are on videotape, and they were not taken out of context.

Cowher attempted to minimize Parker's statement at his news conference yesterday, which was not surprising. No coach wants to hear those words coming from a player.

"I've talked to the team," Cowher said. "You've got to be careful what you say. I think everything you're talking about is pure speculation. I talked to Willie about it. Willie certainly was not implicating any teammates, by any stretch of the imagination. To read that into it would be a misrepresentation of what he said."

Actually, it was Cowher who was misrepresenting what Parker said, and it is a stretch of anyone's imagination to believe Parker wasn't speaking from his heart, regardless of what kind of denial he might issue today.

Parker said more that hurt.

"Right now, I don't think we're believing in everybody. I don't think we're looking at the guy next to us and being like, 'He has my back. I can trust this guy.' I don't think we trust the guy next to us right now."

Damning words, to be sure, but words that explain what's wrong with the Steelers.

Parker wasn't the only Steeler speaking out.

Commenting on how Denver receiver Javon Walker caught two 10-yard touchdown passes on fade patterns, cornerback Deshea Townsend said, "Every week, the teams know what [defense] we're getting in. We have to do some situations to help us out on the outside."

Townsend wasn't just second-guessing the coaching staff, he was second-guessing the most-revered man in the Steelers' locker room, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. It bordered on blasphemy, but it shows what's going on with the Steelers. It's finger-pointing time and even the great LeBeau is subject to it.

Hines Ward, team captain, spoke what might be on the minds of a lot of the players.

"At 2-6, you have to audition for next year."

In effect, he was saying the 2006 season is over. It is, but players aren't supposed to say that.

But they're saying that and much more on the Steelers.

They're talking the talk; they're just not walking the walk.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736466-194.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 09:03 AM
First, Willie Parker. This is a second year player with some strong words towards the veterans and towards the team in general. Personally, I like it. It's nice to hear somebody...anybody speak up on that team and show some type of anger and frustration. There is life afterall!

Then there is Townsend's comments. If anything, his comments were a direct shot at LeBeau. This is coming from a DB who is not having his best year to say the least. One name: McFadden. Give your second round pick a shot and see how he performs. Experience never hurts (especially at this point in the season).

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Those are two guys who should be keeping their mouths shut. Neither of them has done anything to warrant them making those kinds of comments, especially not Willie Parker. They're not team leaders and when the rank and file are coming out and criticizing the coaching and other players, it's time for some wholesale roster changes.

MJ5150
11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I was really hoping this kind of talk would stay in the locker room.

-Mike

floodcitygirl
11-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Ouch! :shake01:

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I was really hoping this kind of talk would stay in the locker room.

-Mike

After this year it will. I doubt that the Rooneys will tolerate this kind of thing for very long.

What I think this also signals is a change in coaching. I think the players know something we may not when it comes to the coaching situation. You don't do this kind of thing with a strong head coach in place.

But that's just MHO.

Big D
11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
First, Willie Parker. This is a second year player with some strong words towards the veterans and towards the team in general. Personally, I like it. It's nice to hear somebody...anybody speak up on that team and show some type of anger and frustration. There is life afterall!

Then there is Townsend's comments. If anything, his comments were a direct shot at LeBeau. This is coming from a DB who is not having his best year to say the least. One name: McFadden. Give your second round pick a shot and see how he performs. Experience never hurts (especially at this point in the season).

these words remind me of the raiders problems after they lost to the bucs in the superbowl. I have deep concerns. I think Willie is upset about the lack of balance this team has. I've really been reminded of the 2003 team this year when we got away from the run.

Big D
11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Those are two guys who should be keeping their mouths shut. Neither of them has done anything to warrant them making those kinds of comments, especially not Willie Parker. They're not team leaders and when the rank and file are coming out and criticizing the coaching and other players, it's time for some wholesale roster changes.

Jeremy, I respect your posts and have enjoyed reading them. However parker hasnt been able to do anything this year because they have really went away from the run. I'm glad he spoke up it is the truth you know. I'm surprised alan faneca and hines ward havent stepped up more as the leaders of this team to get us in the right direction

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 09:23 AM

If Parker doesn't speak up, who will? I see no problem with a young kid speaking up and showing some type of frustration and anger. At this point, I don't see what it can hurt. As for Parker's play, I'll look towards the o-line. Open up holes and you have a running game. Starks getting blown up on every down is not going to cut it. Faneca and Smith are not exactly playing at their highest level. That o-line has been completely inconsistent all season long. Willie Parker is the least of that teams problems.

Townsend is a different story. He's calling out LeBeau while he should be looking at his own play. How many times have we seen Townsend get toasted this season? How many times have we seen Townsend INT a ball? What has Townsend done this season in order to call out his DC?

Big D
11-08-2006, 09:26 AM
If Parker doesn't speak up, who will? I see no problem with a young kid speaking up and showing some type of frustration and anger. As for Parker's play, I'll look towards the o-line. Open up holes and you have a running game. Starks getting blown up on every down is not going to cut it. Faneca and Smith are not exactly playing at their highest level. That o-line has been completely inconsistent all season long. Willie Parker is the least of that teams problems.

Townsend is a different story. He's calling out LeBeau while he should be looking at his own play. How many times have we seen Townsend get toasted this season? How many times have we seen Townsend INT a ball? What has Townsend done this season in order to call out his DC?

I think the 3-4 defense is like the run and shoot the last two years it was ran, I think there is a reason why very few teams run it anymore. I think lebeau will be gone as well. I would like to see a cover 2 next year

stlrtruck
11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm glad Willie spoke up. If the veterans are going to rest on what they did last year, then someone has to stand up and speak their mind. Should this have been kept in the locker room? I believe so, because now we're starting to sound like the bungles.
But it was said and now it's time for the team to respond, hopefully in a positive manner.
I'm more bothered by what Ward said. He sounds like he's given up for this season and that's not the mentality that this team needs. He needs to rally the troops, if not him, then someone who has the testicular fortitude to stand up in the locker room, get in some guys faces and reignite the fire and desire that was once there.

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Jeremy, I respect your posts and have enjoyed reading them. However parker hasnt been able to do anything this year because they have really went away from the run. I'm glad he spoke up it is the truth you know. I'm surprised alan faneca and hines ward havent stepped up more as the leaders of this team to get us in the right direction

I think you missed my point. It's fine and good when you stand up in the locker room and vent, it's something else when you go to the media and blast your teammates. Parker has only been famous for a few minutes, and he's in a locker room with Pro Bowlers and a Super Bowl MVP.

All this has me really worried. Do we have the wrong type of players on the roster now? That's what it looks like to me.

Mosca
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM

I respectfully disagree, Jeremy. To me it looks like Willie Parker is stepping up and TAKING a leadership role that no one else has assumed since Bettis left. I think he's been playing very well; his lack of production is more a product of poor line play and game situations. If you have any of the games taped, look at those between the tackles plays where he hits a line that has already been pushed back a yard by the time he gets there, and he still moves the pile a yard or two. His legs keep churning, even with a couple guys hanging onto him. I think he's playing BETTER this year, the numbers don't show because of the way the team has played.

My belief is that by taking it outside he challenges them to step up. I don't think he was thinking that when he spoke; I think he was trying to answer the question honestly.

What Townsend is referring to is a bit more subtle, I think. He's talking about taking more risks in the secondary by predicting offensive plays better. What LeBeau is doing is betting that his talent is good enough that he can come out in a more conservative formation and still cover a wide variety of offensive options; what Townsend is saying is that this is not true and we need to take more chances to overcome the difference in talent.

Hmmm. Could be. But there might be more to it, too. I don't think they're playing all that poorly. They might be disspirited and frustrated at having to continually retake the field after forcing a 3-and-out/punt, then giving up a 10 yard TD, then having to take the field AGAIN after a fumbled kickoff. Sure they got toasted some last Sunday but if the rest of the team had done the job all that would have meant would be a minor adjustment next week. Under the current circumstances, if the defense isn't PERFECT the Steelers aren't going to win. Well, that ain't happening. The other guys have talented players too. So, this might be Townsend's frustration at not being perfect, his need to take on responsibility for the losses.

I guess we'll see what happens, eh?

Tom

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm glad Willie spoke up. If the veterans are going to rest on what they did last year, then someone has to stand up and speak their mind.

I do find it odd. Joey Porter has made some idiotic comments in the past (one being last week towards an official) and it's passed off as "Joey's just an emotional guy". Parker makes a legitimate comment and the media is ready to pounce.

Oh well. Maybe Parker's comments will actually make the players on this team think about where they currently are as individuals and as a team.

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 09:59 AM
If Willie Parker is taking that role, that makes a huge statement about Roth and the respect he commands in the locker room.

I have no problem with Parker trying to be a leader. I have a problem with the way it happened. 2-6 isn't what any of us wanted. Right now 8-8 is probably the best record we could hope for. They're making all those loudmouths from last year who said we got lucky look right and that pisses me off!

I want to see some more fire from the team. And Parker having more fire is fine by me. But for DT to open his mouth on defense is downright pathetic. Nobody in that secondary can talk about schemes and playcalling when they've been downright bad most of the season. McFadden might be the best corner on the team right now.

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
They're making all those loudmouths from last year who said we got lucky look right and that pisses me off!

Screw them. Last year was last year, something I believe our own team is having trouble comprehending. We won the Super Bowl last year. Am I saying we were the best team? No, I don't believe we were. We were the best team when it counted though. I don't give a shit what certain fans (especially the one's who's team never even won a ring) or sports "experts" have to say about this team and their SB run last season. It's history. We won it. This is a new season.

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I had not read Townsend's comments until they were in Smizik's column.

I would be interested in having Townsend explain how it is LaBeau's fault he keeps getting outjumped in the end zone and exactly what defense is going to prevent that.

I think Townsend knows he is headed to the bench and that this is his last year in Pittsburgh, so he probably figures there is no downside to taking shots at the coaching staff.

As for Parker, he is a young player who probably reflects the views of other players who are keeping their mouth shut.

Big D
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Screw them. Last year was last year, something I believe our own team is having trouble comprehending. We won the Super Bowl last year. Am I saying we were the best team? No, I don't believe we were. We were the best team when it counted though. I don't give a shit what certain fans (especially the one's who's team never even won a ring) or sports "experts" have to say about this team and their SB run last season. It's history. We won it. This is a new season.

exactly. And whats sad to say is if we would have never won the superbowl last year I dont see anyway possible we would be 2-6 right now

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I feel the same way, but that doesn't mean I'm not dissapointed in this team.

It's just so frustrating when time after time you see them turn the ball over when they're playing downright dumb offense. Parker's fumble in Atlanta, Roth's picks in Oakland and against Denver, the fumbles on kick returns, etc. It's all so frustrating. I can watch a WPIAL playoff game on FCS Atlantic and see fewer mistakes being made.

And where is Willie Reid? The guy breaks Deion Sander's return records at FSU and he has to sit behind Cedic "Mr Interception" Wilson on the kick returner charts? What the heck is going on??

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
ive been in denial all season that a cowher led team could get fat and happy; be content with last years success. ive seen and even myself blamed every individual on the team. but it is the cumulative effects.

the penalties and turnovers show a lack of focus and concentration on the small things. willies words have some truth and im glad hes speaking what it is. hes taking a deep look inside and giving an honest opinion. i dont think his remarks are really an inditement on anyon in particular but just an overall mindset.

but on the flipside is verron haynes who does a weekly spot on sirius. he has been big bens biggest supporter. he has not blamed the coaches but said each individual on the team needs to look deep down inside. he said every member is giving it their all, but trying to hard to do too much. every player wants too make the play that is gonna move the chains or win the game. then in true stand up fashion he admitted he was guilty of it himself (he still takes credit for losing the cinci game)

i dont see the steelers in pre game warm ups. i dont know if its all hugs and kisses, and high fives and congratulations from their opponents. but it very well could be. if they are still living in the moment of being sb champs then all that will definitely cause them to lose focus on the little things and accomplishing the task at hand.

i think the embarrasement of this season will ensure that the hunger and fire return next season. until then, the blame game wont help them win.

stlrtruck
11-08-2006, 10:11 AM
If Willie Parker is taking that role, that makes a huge statement about Roth and the respect he commands in the locker room.
I think this year, Ben needs to be concerned with getting his head back into the playbook and concentrating on his lack of TDs vs INTs. I don't think he's ready to be a leader this year. He needs to command the offense better.
As for Willie, maybe he's not ready to be a leader but he's been doing his job and since he doesn't have to command the entire offense, who better to stand up if a veteran isn't going to.

And all the "experts" from last year saying it was a fluke obviously doesn't know this team and is just jumping from band wagon to band wagon. And I'm sure all those experts were cheering for the seahags on Super Bowl Sunday.

Big D
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM

It's just so frustrating when time after time you see them turn the ball over when they're playing downright dumb offense. Parker's fumble in Atlanta, Roth's picks in Oakland and against Denver, the fumbles on kick returns, etc. It's all so frustrating. I can watch a WPIAL playoff game on FCS Atlantic and see fewer mistakes being made.

And where is Willie Reid? The guy breaks Deion Sander's return records at FSU and he has to sit behind Cedic "Mr Interception" Wilson on the kick returner charts? What the heck is going on??

hasnt willie reid been hurt all year?

83-Steelers-43

I think it's safe to say we are all frustrated...lol. I just happen to not give a shit what fans from certain teams think or what certain sports "experts" have to say about this team pertaining to last year's Super Bowl run.

Willie Reid is injured (has been since the Chargers game), but I put full blame on Cowher for not playing him on ST's in the beginning of the season. Coclough fumbling and bobbling the ball was not breaking news this season. He showed red flags in that department last season. Also, why in the hell did you draft him if you weren't going to use him on ST's? Dumb move in my opinion.

HometownGal
If Parker doesn't speak up, who will? I see no problem with a young kid speaking up and showing some type of frustration and anger. At this point, I don't see what it can hurt. As for Parker's play, I'll look towards the o-line. Open up holes and you have a running game. Starks getting blown up on every down is not going to cut it. Faneca and Smith are not exactly playing at their highest level. That o-line has been completely inconsistent all season long. Willie Parker is the least of that teams problems.

A resounding AMEN here. :thumbsup: I don't believe a player has to be classified as a "team leader" to speak his mind. Everyone is an equal on a team and they are all more than entitled to express themselves constructively, as I believe Willie was doing here. Better to vent your frustration off the field than continue to take stupid penalties on the field as the Steelers have been doing as of late.

I don't believe Willie is too far off here with his comments - I've thought along the same lines, but didn't want to come out and say it.

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I guess I just want to see the young tigers let loose. Throw the ball to Heath Miller more than twice a game. Activate Willie Reid and let him do his thing. Let Holmes run all those gimmick plays that ARE ran last season.

We need to get back to that ****y wide open balls to the wall attitude that we had last season. Screw the Super Bowl and screw the record. We need to get back to Steelers football. Here it comes now see if you can stop it.

Edit: I was unaware Reid was still hurt. I didn't think it was a season ending thing when it happened. That doesn't mean I think Mr Pick should be returning kicks though.

Big D
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
and it's time for cowher to step up and be a voice again. AND PLEASE RUN THE BALL!

HometownGal
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
and it's time for cowher to step up and be a voice again. AND PLEASE RUN THE BALL!

If the Steelers OL could block and open up holes consistently, we'd see a helluva lot more production out of our running game. The only lanes that our backs have been able to successfully run for the most part are either on the left side of the line or occasionally with Davenport in there, through the middle. The right side of the line is getting the major beat down. A running attack has to be diversified in its game plan and with that right side being so ineffective thus far this season, it has been fairly easy for other teams' DCs to game plan and effectively stop our running attack.

Mosca
11-08-2006, 10:35 AM
ive been in denial all season that a cowher led team could get fat and happy; be content with last years success.

Amen to that, Tony. I'm STILL in denial, but I'm starting to come out of it.

Tom

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Amen to that, Tony. I'm STILL in denial, but I'm starting to come out of it.

Tom

its a very correctable and almost understandable problem theyre having. not to say its excusable.

i think the best medicine for this team woulve been to face the ravens early on in the season. i doubt the ravens wouldve came out all smiles and high fives. they wouldve came out talking smack and trying to knock the steelers off of their pedestal. maybe that wouldve been an early wake up call to remind the steelers that last year was last year and there are other hungry teams out there who want to take what they got.

stlrtruck
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, I'm now hoping that the Steelers have had their heads knocked around enough in the L column that when we do play the ratbirds that they do more of the hitting, all of the scoring, and shut all those fans up in baltimoronville!!!

Stillers43
11-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I think Willie is learning a lot of becoming a leader of this team. I am glad he had the guts to stand up. However, he probably should have said it and kept it in house. Jerome taught Willie a lot before he left. Good for him.

dSharp
11-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Jerome taught Willie a lot before he left. Good for him.

That one put it perfectly. If Willie wants to speak up, he should. Everyone coming into this season said he couldn't do the whole feature back thing. People are STILL saying it, but all he does is go out there and, as someone else mentioned a few pages earlier, he tries hard. Someone needed to say something. Is it preferable to keep it in house, yes, but if I have to take either Joey bitching about his contract on Total Access or Willie saying the team is playing like a bunch of mo-mo's, I'll take Willie's comments everytime.

Someone needed to step up and light the fire.

Preacher
11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I think Willie is learning a lot of becoming a leader of this team. I am glad he had the guts to stand up. However, he probably should have said it and kept it in house. Jerome taught Willie a lot before he left. Good for him.

YEP!

The difference between the Raiders and the Steelers is that Willie is not calling people out. He is calling out the ENTIRE TEAM. Deshea... well... BYE BYE.

The problem... as I have said a number of times... is a failure of leadership.

Cowher is failing... LeBeau is failing... HINES WARD IS FAILING (yes, I know that is blasphemy here...) Rothlisberger is failing... Porter is failing.

Those are the leaders. They are failing in thier leadership functions. Hines is playing with absolute heart... but look at the team. it is leaderless right now. that is the problem.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Ok Willie Parker has been one of the few bright spots this year. He is on pace to have over 1250 yards and 16 total TD's. The 16 total TD's would be a Steelers single season record for TD's in a season. I have no problem with his comments since they are true. An idiot could see that the Steelers don't have the same hunger as they did last year. Plus you can see the Steelers as a team really doesn't have any trust among themselves.

About Townsend yes his play had been really bad at times this year. But what he said is also true. At times this year it seems Dick LeBeau hasn't really made adjustments and has had some horrible game plans this year. But it could be that teams just have figured out Dick's defense. But I really don't see the Steeler going away from the 3-4 even if Cowher isn't here next year.

FOOTEupyourarse
11-08-2006, 04:53 PM
the 3-4 will be here forever. it works. the steelers make it work. as for lebeau, he does tend to get alittle lax at times but he is still one of the best DC's in the league. Deshae was good for us for awhile but now he needs to move on but in his defense he is lined up on the opposite side of 1 of the top 5 DB's in the league(imo). last time a watched the replay, i believe it was DT who whiffed on the javon walker tackle not labeau.:tt02:

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
the guys on PTI discussed this. wilbon said he could never imagine a cowher lead team that lacks fire and hunger. he said what he has seen is alot of individuals trying TOO HARD. this goes right in line with verron haynes take and kind of in line with half of what willie was saying.

maybe the line dont trust willie. maybe willie dont trust the line. maybe the team has doubts about ben returning 2 weeks after surgery. maybe the team doesnt trust a rookie returner. maybe the rookie returner feels he has too much to prove.

all this can have a snowball effect of players trying to hard, especially when mistakes start to materialize.

the effort is there, the guys are trying to win, and they will overcome this. unfortunately for them and us fans we may be watching other teams in the playoffs. as an NFL fan i will still be watching, and thinking "the steelers couldve beaten this team".

TP43
11-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Might as well let em speak their mind. I'm tired of hearing those media friendly answers as to what's going wrong. They're just bein real. Rank don't mean a damn thing when you're 2-6. At least they're starters.

sumo
11-08-2006, 07:34 PM
You almost want to see guys speaking up and motivating each other - who cares at this point - they need to go nuts and play lights out - I don't hink this is anything like what the raiders went thru after they lost to Tampa in the SB -- for one thing, all their skill players on offense and defense were old - very old and they faded - that is not the case with this team -- the Steelers are young - they get their sh** together and they can make some more serious SB runs in the next 3-5 years ...

jaysta
11-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I've really been reminded of the 2003 team this year when we got away from the run.

You are right and the unfortunate thing is that the Steelers seemed to plan this in the preseason. They were planning on opening up the offense more and using speed rather than muscle. They're not getting blown out, but they aren't getting ahead of teams and controlling the clock like they did last year. The change to this year's offense seems to drastic. Willie is doing a much better job than I expected, but I still feel strongly that he'd make a much better change of pace back, with a big power back taking the bulk of the carries. That's what helped to keep the defenses in check last season.

Steel Warrior
11-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Cowher's refusal to state his intentions for the future, I think, really hurt this team. You can't say " don't worry about me, just play your asses off", or "I might be gone, then again, I might stay". That's no way to run a FB team and this is what you get. If you don't think your boss knows what the f*ck he's doing, or doesn't care to tell, I could see where it hurts the motivation. Cowher needed to fess up his intentions before this season even started.

:smoker:

Steelersfan4life0655
11-09-2006, 12:04 AM
: man, i am really likin Parker, now i am going to have to go get his jersey:thumbsup: I am glad that somebody is saying something bout the team play this year. You can blame it on everyone. Its a team effort and when you are a team you should all get blamed, no matter if you are the one who is busting their ass more than most. we've got problems, but i am not least worried about the long term problems with this team, they will bounce back,even if it's not this year but there is always next year:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

stlrn8n
11-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I think Willie is the only one with the cajones to say what everyone else has been thinking. And to say that this stuff should have stayed in the locker room is junk. Come on, Steeler fans. Be realistic here. I have been a fan since I can remember, but call a spade a spade. The team IS lacking something, call it hunger, call it whatever you want. Willie had it right and I see no problem with him voicing his opinion. And, if certain members of the Steelers want to complain about that, I ask them this: where has your leadership been all season? I have seen no one stand up and be this year's leader. Joey Porter is the closest I've seen and while I love Joey, I'm not sure he's the best choice for a "team leader." I haven't seen or heard too much from Faneca or Hines or Hartings, etc. These are our veterans. They should be saying something. I give props to Willie for speaking out. I'm loving him!

Preacher
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Thinking back on it...

Do yo all remember three years ago when Hines Ward was slapped down by the players and the Pittsburgh media for stepping up in a lockeroom and calling some people out by name? I wonder if he is a little gunshy now?