PDA

View Full Version : todays question for ed?

Big D
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Question: Ed, don't you find it a tad odd that the first head coaching job offer that Ken Whisenhunt receieved he turned down? Doesn't that shed light on the Steelers' future plans? How often does an offensive coordinator turn down a head coaching job?

Doug Walton, Toledo, Ohio

BOUCHETTE: Ken Whisenhunt wasn't the only one to turn down Al Davis of the Oakland Raiders. He rightly saw the job as a dead-ender that could ruin his career before it started. That's why Davis had to dust off Art Shell and bring him back to coach the team. It had nothing to do with what might or might not happen with the Steelers and coach Bill Cowher's decision whether to retire or stay on.

Big D
11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
I think whisenhunts questionable play calling this year and the lack of offensive production has costed him a chance of being the head coach of the steelers. I would actually be surprised if he was the offensive coordinator here next year.

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, Whiz either will be HC or gone. Even if a new HC asked him to stay (unlikely), Whiz and Grimm will not be hanging around unless they replace Cowher.

With LaBeau rumored to be looking at retirement, Dick Hoak may be the only coach back next year.

I think the Rooneys are recognizing the players are tuning out the coaches and may seek a fresh start through an outside hire.

Big D
11-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, Whiz either will be HC or gone. Even if a new HC asked him to stay (unlikely), Whiz and Grimm will not be hanging around unless they replace Cowher.

With LaBeau rumored to be looking at retirement, Dick Hoak may be the only coach back next year.

I think the Rooneys are recognizing the players are tuning out the coaches and may seek a fresh start through an outside hire.

I have noticed that the past two weeks. Thats why i threw out the raider comparison when they folded under bill callahan.

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 10:27 AM
you cant be implying that he will be fired. hell, take away the 4 stupid turnovers a game for the steelers 6 losses and theyre an offensive juggernaut. its not wiz fumbling and throwing pics. just like its not lebeau glued to the backs of wr's yet still getting outjumped on fade routes in the endzone.

theres a reason coaches like tall wr's just like theres a reason coaches like players who dont fumble.

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 10:30 AM

there is a school of thought that bill parcells is not quite ready to retire but sick of all the b.s. in dallas. i know it wont happen but is interresting to ponder.

Big D
11-08-2006, 10:34 AM
you cant be implying that he will be fired. hell, take away the 4 stupid turnovers a game for the steelers 6 losses and theyre an offensive juggernaut. its not wiz fumbling and throwing pics. just like its not lebeau glued to the backs of wr's yet still getting outjumped on fade routes in the endzone.

theres a reason coaches like tall wr's just like theres a reason coaches like players who dont fumble.

i'm certainly not saying he will be fired. I just think we will see the rooneys go in a whole new direction all together next year

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 11:02 AM
i'm certainly not saying he will be fired. I just think we will see the rooneys go in a whole new direction all together next yeari cant see the rooneys blowing this thing up. they like consistancy and have never fired cowher after a bad season or 2. this is the longest weve had the same coordinators in quite a while without them being hired off by other teams. we have an especially young corp on offense. why tamper with that hand have these guys learn a whole new system?

ben 3 yrs
willie 3 yrs
nate 3 yrs
holmes 1 yr
heath 2 yrs

then if you look at starks, kemoeatu, and okolbi starting next season, that makes 7 of our starting 11 who will not have been in the league for 4 years.

Big D
11-08-2006, 11:09 AM
i cant see the rooneys blowing this thing up. they like consistancy and have never fired cowher after a bad season or 2. this is the longest weve had the same coordinators in quite a while without them being hired off by other teams. we have an especially young corp on offense. why tamper with that hand have these guys learn a whole new system?

ben 3 yrs
willie 3 yrs
nate 3 yrs
holmes 1 yr
heath 2 yrs

then if you look at starks, kemoeatu, and okolbi starting next season, that makes 7 of our starting 11 who will not have been in the league for 4 years.

Tony, I'm not suggesting that cowher or whisenhunt will be fired. I totally agree with what you are saying with the whole tampering. However I think all indications are that Bill Cowher is going to retire on off to his new mansion in north carolina. I also believe that we will hire an ethnic coach outside of the organization. I think the only guy that has a shot at the job in the organization would be Darren Perry. It would be extreamly hypocritcle for the rooneys to hire a white head coach

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Tony, I'm not suggesting that cowher or whisenhunt will be fired. I totally agree with what you are saying with the whole tampering. However I think all indications are that Bill Cowher is going to retire on off to his new mansion in north carolina. I also believe that we will hire an ethnic coach outside of the organization. I think the only guy that has a shot at the job in the organization would be Darren Perry. It would be extreamly hypocritcle for the rooneys to hire a white head coachi like the idea of darren perry. i think he will be a HC in 5 years. im not sure if hes ready for that role yet. i assumed he would just take over as co-ord when lebeau retired. it would also be hypocritical to groom grimm and wiz this long only to dis them as qualified in house replacements to go out and try to meet some quota.

Big D
11-08-2006, 11:37 AM
i like the idea of darren perry. i think he will be a HC in 5 years. im not sure if hes ready for that role yet. i assumed he would just take over as co-ord when lebeau retired. it would also be hypocritical to groom grimm and wiz this long only to dis them as qualified in house replacements to go out and try to meet some quota.

I think it would be cool to have a former steeler player being a head coach too. I'm sure people didnt think cowher was ready when he got the steeler job. I just think there would be a backlash against the rooneys for comming up with the rooney rule... only to hire a white coach. I have been saying since the start of the cowher speculation that I would love to see russ grimm get the job. But I think the line struggling as bad as it has may hurt his chances. Hell bring in bam morris to be our new head coach

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I think it would be cool to have a former steeler player being a head coach too. I'm sure people didnt think cowher was ready when he got the steeler job. I just think there would be a backlash against the rooneys for comming up with the rooney rule... only to hire a white coach. I have been saying since the start of the cowher speculation that I would love to see russ grimm get the job. But I think the line struggling as bad as it has may hurt his chances. Hell bring in bam morris to be our new head coachlol. yeah i think the rooneys would be held to a higher standard, and unfairly over scrutinized for their hiring practices in regards to the rooney rule. perry taking over could be seen as mangini, edwards taking over while skipping a job as defensive coordinator or only having 1 year experience.

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Did Cowher keep any of Noll's assistants? I vaguely recall Jon Kolb being with Noll and staying for Cowher's first 2 years until he got fired after the Steelers had their first true crash and burn in the playoffs under Cowher by losing late to the Chiefs in 1993. However, if so, he was a second tier assistant, since I recall Capers and Ernhardt were Cowher's first coordinators

Assistants presumably network around the league and maybe Perry would stay and be promoted to DC to maintain some continuity if a true outsider comes in. I cannot see the Steelers hiring a HC who has never been a coordinator unless they went to the college HC ranks (Kirk Ferentz? - he has coached in the pros as an assistant and has western PA ties as Upper St. Clair HS Class of 1973).

As I have posted before, promoting from within when a HC retires rather than gets canned does not have a glorious track record and that is another reason I think the new HC will not be Whiz or Grimm.

Big D
11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Did Cowher keep any of Noll's assistants? I vaguely recall Jon Kolb being with Noll and staying for Cowher's first 2 years until he got fired after the Steelers had their first true crash and burn in the playoffs under Cowher by losing late to the Chiefs in 1993. However, if so, he was a second tier assistant, since I recall Capers and Ernhardt were Cowher's first coordinators

Assistants presumably network around the league and maybe Perry would stay and be promoted to DC to maintain some continuity if a true outsider comes in. I cannot see the Steelers hiring a HC who has never been a coordinator unless they went to the college HC ranks (Kirk Ferentz? - he has coached in the pros as an assistant and has western PA ties as Upper St. Clair HS Class of 1973).

As I have posted before, promoting from within when a HC retires rather than gets canned does not have a glorious track record and that is another reason I think the new HC will not be Whiz or Grimm.

would you mind name dropping a little bit? the only coordinator i remeber taking over from a retiree is george seifort

sumo
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I have noticed that the past two weeks. Thats why i threw out the raider comparison when they folded under bill callahan.

The Raiders plain sucked that year - I don't think the Steelers are necessarily tuning out the coaches - so much as Cowher needs to get the jaw moving again

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 12:19 PM
i bet parcells would love to win a sb with the steelers. anyone think the rooneys would even consider this if cowher left and parcells became available?

Big D
11-08-2006, 12:37 PM
i bet parcells would love to win a sb with the steelers. anyone think the rooneys would even consider this if cowher left and parcells became available?

I dont see it. I dont think that the rooneys would hire a guy that only wants to stick around 2-3 years.

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 12:39 PM
would you mind name dropping a little bit? the only coordinator i remeber taking over from a retiree is george seifort

It does not happen that often since so few coaches leave on their own (even legends like Shula and Landry got fired) and after their departure there is an interest in maintaining continuity.

Seifert actually had success, but he had the benefit of DeBartolo buying up talent in the pre-cap era. He certainly did not tear it up when he coached the Panthers.

Richie Petitbon (DC) took over when Gibbs retired from the Redskins, Ray Handley (OC) took over when Parcells left the Giants, and, going way back, Phil Bengston (DC) took over from Lombardi when Lombardi left the Packers.

Petitbon lasted 1 year, Handley lasted 2 seasons, and Bengston was gone after 3 seasons as HC.