PDA

View Full Version : HC wishlist ... to replace Cowher?

coachspeak33
11-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I, like all Steeler fans, am still coping with the 2-6 start. My mood runs through the entire emtional spectrum on, what seems to be, a weekly basis. I am not sure of anything, when it comes to the black and gold, but as this season approached and past the mid-point, I am becoming convinced that Billy Cowher is NOT coming back.

Now before I even begin to process whether or not I want him to come back next year or I would rather have the organization start fresh and really put this season behind us when it is finally (and mercifully) over.

But I am interested to hear who you folks out there would like to see take over as HC of the Steelers. Realistic ideas would be nice... I think we have as good of a chance of old Lombardi heimself coming back from the grave to coach our boys as we do of getting Parcells or Jimmy Johnson or a high profile college coach (Carroll, Tressel, etc).

So do you wanna keep it in house with Whiz or Grimm..... are we any better by hiring those guys?

Do we give it to Lebeau... in order to maintain or effective defensive scheme?

Do we go the "Rooney way" and hire some young inexperienced coordinator and start building?

I think we have a team that is talented enough to contend for a world championship year in and year out.... if they are prepared and motivated. I would be dissappointed to see the ownership go get a young unproven inexperienced coach for this particular team. That would be like giving the keys to your brand new porsche to the 16 yr old who has been driving for a week.

There is one guy out there who more than likely will be available at years end. Here are his qualifications:
- multiple division titles
- led his team to the franchise's only super bowl appearance
- multiple playoff appearances
- still fairly young
- is respected by players on his own team and opposing ones
- if he is out of a job at years end he wont be unemployed for long

How about Jeff Fisher?

Big D
11-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I, like all Steeler fans, am still coping with the 2-6 start. My mood runs through the entire emtional spectrum on, what seems to be, a weekly basis. I am not sure of anything, when it comes to the black and gold, but as this season approached and past the mid-point, I am becoming convinced that Billy Cowher is NOT coming back.

Now before I even begin to process whether or not I want him to come back next year or I would rather have the organization start fresh and really put this season behind us when it is finally (and mercifully) over.

But I am interested to hear who you folks out there would like to see take over as HC of the Steelers. Realistic ideas would be nice... I think we have as good of a chance of old Lombardi heimself coming back from the grave to coach our boys as we do of getting Parcells or Jimmy Johnson or a high profile college coach (Carroll, Tressel, etc).

So do you wanna keep it in house with Whiz or Grimm..... are we any better by hiring those guys?

Do we give it to Lebeau... in order to maintain or effective defensive scheme?

Do we go the "Rooney way" and hire some young inexperienced coordinator and start building?

I think we have a team that is talented enough to contend for a world championship year in and year out.... if they are prepared and motivated. I would be dissappointed to see the ownership go get a young unproven inexperienced coach for this particular team. That would be like giving the keys to your brand new porsche to the 16 yr old who has been driving for a week.

There is one guy out there who more than likely will be available at years end. Here are his qualifications:
- multiple division titles
- led his team to the franchise's only super bowl appearance
- multiple playoff appearances
- still fairly young
- is respected by players on his own team and opposing ones
- if he is out of a job at years end he wont be unemployed for long

How about Jeff Fisher?
I have suggested Mike tomlin. Great young mind 34 years old and he comes from great coaching tree that has had lovie smith, marvin lewis, hermand edwards, rod marinelli and monte kiffin. I dont see them going after a big named colleage coach. And as far as hiring internally let me rattle off some names of coordinators that left the steelers to become head coaches. Dom capers, chan gailey, dick lebeau, mike mularkey, jim haslett. None of which had sucess once they left. I think we should go outside the way we did with cowher

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 12:46 PM
The rumor mill has Fisher going to the Cowboys.

Big D
11-08-2006, 12:47 PM
The rumor mill has Fisher going to the Cowboys.

I could really see that happening. Jeff fisher is a big name guy i could see jerry jones getting off on. And remeber fisher did start out his head coaching career in dallas

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
If he were available how about Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Bucs?:coffee:

Big D
11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
If he were available how about Jon Gruden with the Tampa Bay Bucs?:coffee:

I was thinking about that the other day. I couldnt see the steelers having a west coast offense though.

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I was thinking about that the other day. I couldnt see the steelers having a west coast offense though.

Good Point:thumbsup:

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
1. Darren Perry
2. Mike Tomlin
3. Jim Haslett
4. Russ Grimm

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
1. Darren Perry
2. Mike Tomlin
3. Jim Haslett
4. Russ Grimm

I love the Haslett suggestion!!!

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:04 PM

I dont. He was awful with the saints. Look how good they are without him this year. Granted they did get drew brees but still.

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Do you really think anyone could have won with that collection of stiffs?

Brees and Bush changed the whole culture surrounding that team.

coachspeak33
11-08-2006, 01:07 PM
hell, i have been saying all year that Whiz is running the West (ern PA) coast offense.... so Gruden's offensive scheme would look similar to what we are doin now.

But in all seriousness.... I like Gruden but he isnt going to be available. We need to get an experienced proven head coach.... if the Rooney's are serious about winning championshps, as in Super Bowl championships and not division titles, they will not hire some unproven first time head coach.

If they do go for youth and inexperience.... then we deserve to wait another 25 years for our next championship.

ARKIESTEEL
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Knoll

vasteeler
11-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Knoll

you beat me by 2 mins. CHUCK KNOLL:wink02:

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:17 PM
my top ten wish list
1. romeo crennell
2. marvin lewis
3. Brian billik.
4. Jim fassel.
5. maurice carthon
6. Rex Ryan
7. Buddy Ryan
8. Bob bratkoski
9. Jeff Davidson
10. Butch Davis

coachspeak33
11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
No offense to anyone (I say that as humble as possible)..... but how the hell can anyone think that we will regain our consistency and return in 2007 as legit Super Bowl contenders with Darren Perry???? making all decisions!!!!!!!!

That is outrageous for anyone to think that Darren Perry is the "smart hire".... wake up people ......

this is the NFL...... you have to hire the best guy for the job (and the "job" here is to re-motivate these players.... to make sure that all of the talent on this team is prepared thoroughly.... we need a guy who brings instant credibility....

Not some guy who will need to convince players that he does indeed know how to get a football team to the playoffs,

and especially not some guy who spent his first few years as an assistant where his number 1 responsibility was......getting Cowher and Lebeau their coffee every morning!!!!!!!!

Darren Perry.... that wreaks of Oakland Raider logic!!!!!

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Are there any assistant coaches on Bill Cowhers staff that could be excellent candidates?:helmet:

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 01:25 PM
No offense to anyone (I say that as humble as possible)..... but how the hell can anyone think that we will regain our consistency and return in 2007 as legit Super Bowl contenders with Darren Perry???? making all decisions!!!!!!!!

That is outrageous for anyone to think that Darren Perry is the "smart hire".... wake up people ......

this is the NFL...... you have to hire the best guy for the job (and the "job" here is to re-motivate these players.... to make sure that all of the talent on this team is prepared thoroughly.... we need a guy who brings instant credibility....

Not some guy who will need to convince players that he does indeed know how to get a football team to the playoffs,

and especially not some guy who spent his first few years as an assistant where his number 1 responsibility was......getting Cowher and Lebeau their coffee every morning!!!!!!!!

I guess that you just answered my previous question.:dang:

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:27 PM

ok no disrespect or anything. But did you know who Bill cowher was when he got hired. What about jon gruden before he got hired by the raiders. Or even andy reid. Seems like these guys have been pretty succesfull

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Are there any assistant coaches on Bill Cowhers staff that could be excellent candidates?:helmet:

sure are. Ken whisenhunt, russ grimm and yes darren perry

coachspeak33
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
No question about it... Cowher was an unknown assistant/coordinator. And hey things have worked out great until lately... but are you willing to acknowledge that this team is WAY more talented and consists of far more proven veteran players than the squad Billy took over??

This team needs a proven commodity in its coach..

Your point is well taken but this team is far and away "ahead of schedule" in comparison to that club Cowher took over.... they need a coach that has been there before.... perhaps that would inspire a group that seems... well ... uninspired!!!!

Its one thing to hire a young coach to match a young team (that describes the beginning of Cowher's tenure) and they grow and develop together.... but that is far from this teams current situation.

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
No question about it... Cowher was an unknown assistant/coordinator. And hey things have worked out great until lately... but are you willing to acknowledge that this team is WAY more talented and consists of far more proven veteran players than the squad Billy took over??

This team needs a proven commodity in its coach..

Your point is well taken but this team is far and away "ahead of schedule" in comparison to that club Cowher took over.... they need a coach that has been there before.... perhaps that would inspire a group that seems... well ... uninspired!!!!

Its one thing to hire a young coach to match a young team (that describes the beginning of Cowher's tenure) and they grow and develop together.... but that is far from this teams current situation.

i'll give you some history. Knolls last year with us the steelers went 7-9 cowher was hired and the following season he went 11-5. That kind of rules out your logic

HometownGal
11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
I sure wouldn't mind if the Steelers could lure Lovie Smith away from da Bears should Cowher decide to retire at the end of the season, which I am almost positive he won't. I see him honoring his contract with the Steelers being the honorable man that he is.

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I still think I should get the head coaching job. I'll give everyone in the forum season tickets for there support

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
ok no disrespect or anything. But did you know who Bill cowher was when he got hired. What about jon gruden before he got hired by the raiders. Or even andy reid. Seems like these guys have been pretty succesfull

Cowher, like most HC hires, was a coordinator (in Cowher's case D coordinator at KC) before being hired by the Steelers. If you look at the Cowher assistants that have gone on to be HCs (Capers, Gailey, Haslett) they were coordinators. People are saying nice things about Perry but you get your rep by heading up an offense or defense.

The 2 roads to HC in the NFL are to be a successful young college HC or a coordinator. If Cowher was coming back for another year and LaBeau retired you might get Perry promoted to D coordinator and then fast tracked to HC in 2008, but even that would be rushing matters along.

coachspeak33
11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
First of all Darren Perry has no shot in hell of becoming the HC of the Steelers next year.

Grimm would probably be the better motivator (between he and Whiz) but those two candidates dont excite me considering how their areas of expertise has performed.

Grimm is hailed as this O line genius.... tell yourself that when you watch Max starks get bitchslapped all day long by D ends 60lbs lighter than he....

I like Russ Grimm, but I am not thrilled about handing him to the keys of the castle .... there are better people out there for the job than Russ Grimm

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 01:46 PM
How about Pete Carroll, the head coach at USC? Might be a good rumor to start?:wink02:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 01:50 PM
I dont. He was awful with the saints. Look how good they are without him this year. Granted they did get drew brees but still.

They got Drew Brees...Exactly...look at the Saints stats prior to Haslett..then after Haslett....New Orleans would have better served to keep Haslett and just let Brooks go..It is painfully obvious what was killing the Saints when you see how Brooks sucked even with the Raiders above average WR's

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
How about Pete Carroll, the head coach at USC? Might be a good rumor to start?:wink02:

He failed twice as a head coach in the nfl. I wouldnt want him. Some colleges coaches arent cut out to be pro coaches. Carroll and Butch davis are two examples of that

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I sure wouldn't mind if the Steelers could lure Lovie Smith away from da Bears should Cowher decide to retire at the end of the season, which I am almost positive he won't. I see him honoring his contract with the Steelers being the honorable man that he is.

you are right htg he is an honorable man. With that being said dont you think he would rather be a more honorable husband and father then a head coach. I see him putting his family ahead of the organization. And after 15 years of being a head coach I cant say I blame him

BlacknGold76
11-08-2006, 01:57 PM
He failed twice as a head coach in the nfl. I wouldnt want him. Some colleges coaches arent cut out to be pro coaches. Carroll and Butch davis are two examples of that

Okay, let me throw out another name then. How about Steve Spurrier? Viable coach or better left to coach college football? He really didn't have much of an opportunity to prove himself in DC.:coffee:

Big D
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay, let me throw out another name then. How about Steve Spurrier? Viable coach or better left to coach college football? He really didn't have much of an opportunity to prove himself in DC.:coffee:

I dont see that either. once again another college coach that could pan out in the nfl

SalukiSteelers
11-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Rich Rodriguez, LOL. I can't imagine his offense working in the NFL unless a team has Vick or Vince. RR may be one of those "college-ony" guys.

I just wonder whether a new coach means no more 3-4.

Of course, I would like to see Cowher come back to get some respect after this season's misery.

greenparrot
11-08-2006, 02:18 PM

now I know you'll are really feeling down.

Big D
11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
now I know you'll are really feeling down.

will you explain to us why haslett is a bad fit

BigDuke6
11-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I like the Jeff Fisher idea. I hated his guts when they were in our division but now that they are gone and dont represent such a threat I respect him and kinda like his fire and brimstone. Kinda like tradin' in "the chin" for "the stach"

greenparrot
11-08-2006, 02:28 PM
will you explain to us why haslett is a bad fit

-start with talent evaluation.....Colston would not be on our team much less starting
-poor 2nd half adjustments
-insistence on playing Brooks while we had Jake Delhomme chomping at the bit
-team discipline has never...never...been better than now. Joe horn could not practice fulltime last week & therefore did not play or even make the trip to Tampa.

I think Haslett is probably a good asst coach...but not a head coach

BigDuke6
11-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Anybody have Wannstedt on their list ??

Big D
11-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Anybody have Wannstedt on their list ??

dont scare us like that

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 02:41 PM

I think Spurrier did prove himself by showing that he was a lot smarter when he had an overwhelming talent advantage at Florida and could run his offense based on having better players than every team he played other than Florida State. Take away that edge and you take away Spurrier's success.

Besides, Steve Superior is in his early 60s and at the stage of his life where he correctly is more focused on such matters as keeping his golf handicap low than facing the pressure of coaching in the NFL.

As for Pete Carroll, the Cardinals supposedly have him on their wish list. Given the horrible history of that franchise, the expectations there are a lot lower than what we have come to expect and are a more likely spot for Carroll if he leaves USC.

Big D
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
I think Spurrier did prove himself by showing that he was a lot smarter when he had an overwhelming talent advantage at Florida and could run his offense based on having better players than every team he played other than Florida State. Take away that edge and you take away Spurrier's success.

Besides, Steve Superior is in his early 60s and at the stage of his life where he correctly is more focused on such matters as keeping his golf handicap low than facing the pressure of coaching in the NFL.

As for Pete Carroll, the Cardinals supposedly have him on their wish list. Given the horrible history of that franchise, the expectations there are a lot lower than what we have come to expect and are a more likely spot for Carroll if he leaves USC.

I could also see matt leinart pursuading Carroll to come to the cardinals

MACH1
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Jimmy Johnson??:hunch:

Jeremy
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Haslett will be better the second time around.

Look at Chan Gailey. He was terrible in his first try as a head coach. He took his lumps and became a coordinator. Then he found the right situation at GT and has them on the brink of something big.

Now I know college isn't the NFL, but the comparison still holds water.

sumo
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I could also see matt leinart pursuading Carroll to come to the cardinals

I think this would be great... being from AZ I want the Cards to do well, but it's hard to imagine Carroll leaving SC - he's a major celeb in LA

Big D
11-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Jimmy Johnson??:hunch:

That would be like having Carson Palmer as our qb. No thank you

MACH1
11-08-2006, 02:57 PM
That would be like having Carson Palmer as our qb. No thank you

:hehe:

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Haslett will be better the second time around.

Look at Chan Gailey. He was terrible in his first try as a head coach. He took his lumps and became a coordinator. Then he found the right situation at GT and has them on the brink of something big.

Now I know college isn't the NFL, but the comparison still holds water.

I like Gailey and think he is doing well within certain academic realities that crimp recruiting at Georgia Tech, but he is not regarded by the Atlanta media and a big % of the GTech alums as an overwhelming success, with the latest frustrations being the home loss to a very beatable Notre Dame and the blowout loss to Clemson this season.

Gailey's rep is he usually loses at least one game each season to a clearly inferior oppponent.

Big D
11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
If cowher wanted out I wish he would have done it after the superbowl. I think it would have been great to watch him go out in glory like that. I told my buddy last year that eric mangini would be a great head coach and so far he has been. He would have been a great coach for us

Preacher
11-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Well... One thing we know that has changed about hiring a head coach in Pittsburgh...

Since the Chief is gone, the coach won't be hired based on his love for horse-racing!!!!!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-08-2006, 03:49 PM
-start with talent evaluation.....Colston would not be on our team much less starting
-poor 2nd half adjustments
-insistence on playing Brooks while we had Jake Delhomme chomping at the bit
-team discipline has never...never...been better than now. Joe horn could not practice fulltime last week & therefore did not play or even make the trip to Tampa.

I think Haslett is probably a good asst coach...but not a head coach

1) Second most victories in Saints history as a head coach
2) 2000 NFL Coach of the Year
3) Led the Saints to the only playoff victory in team history
4) Did all this with Ditka trading away the Saints future for Ricky Williams
5) Fought to draft Deuce McAllister against GM's wishes (excellent foresight)
6) Took the fall for failed draft picks by GM's Randy Mueller and Mickey Loomis.
7) Tried to get a traded or drafted QB for Brooks since 2003...(blame both GM's for that one)

I know he had to pull teeth to get a center in the 2nd round in 2002 or 2003...Lecharles Bentley.

steveironcity
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
6) Took the fall for failed draft picks by GM's Randy Mueller and Mickey Loomis.
7) Tried to get a traded or drafted QB for Brooks since 2003...(blame both GM's for that one)

I know he had to pull teeth to get a center in the 2nd round in 2002 or 2003...Lecharles Bentley.

8) Insulted the Steelers organization by claiming the whole Superbowl teams of the 70s were on roids.

greenparrot
11-08-2006, 04:42 PM

he averaged only 8 wins a year after his initial year...that's not counting the 3-13 2005 year. IMO his biggest downfall is when they fired Randy Mueller. All I can say is I want the Saints to be in the Steelers division while he is coach. But there is one caviat....up to this point the Steelers ownership has been a tad better than Tpm Benson. LOL

greenparrot
11-08-2006, 04:46 PM
8) Insulted the Steelers organization by claiming the whole Superbowl teams of the 70s were on roids.

why would that be a shock in professional sports today? At least now I think there are more regulations in place to prevent it & now athletes no the downside a lot better. I don't know if they did or didn't...but might Haslett have some inside info?

efil4stnias
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM

you dont want him. Trust us. Look what he is doing in St. Louis ( def coord )...nothing. I'll add a bit more.
7) Brooks was HIS MAN from day one. He was obligated to Brooks. In 2002 with a chance to make the playoffs if we beat Carolina in week 17, he sits Jake DElhomme and starts an INJURED AARON BROOKS...to prove a point. We lost 10-6....
6) His drafts were based purely on numbers. Not character or heart. Dont care if the guy just held someone at gunpoint, he runs a 4.4 - 40 yd dash.
6b) in 2003 he traded 2 no 1's to move up to # 6 to get.....Jonathan Sullivan who is now out of the league. Good move. But remember he could lift 32 reps. Just couldnt write his name on his name tag.

Although he is a native to PA, his coaching philosophy needs work. He tries to be the friend as opposed to holding his players accountable. That was the reason this team was in such disarray.

Hines0wnz
11-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Jeff Fisher is a good idea but I think with Vince Young starting and them in the midst of rebuilding he isnt going anywhere for a few years. But, its the NFL and you never know. I think we could all name names until we are blue in the face but the new HC will be like Cowher, someone that makes everyone say, "WHO??????" :flap: :wink02:

Big D
11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
fisher has an option after this year. And i dont think he will be back. You have to remeber fisher wanted leinart not vince young

Indy_Steelers
11-08-2006, 10:36 PM

I am not going to jump on that bandwagon.
The Bears have the easiest schedule in the NFL.

augustashark
11-09-2006, 12:19 AM

This is funny, two other posters pointed out why Haslett could not win more in NO and you would not or could not respond.:sofunny:

Then you asked another poster to explain why he thought Haslett would not fit here.

Are you in politics?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Steve Mariucci ?

augustashark
11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Steve Mariucci ?

Good one.

Steelersfan4life0655
11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
how about snoop dogg:wink02: just playing! no, i like the idea of haslett, cant see maricuci, too much west coast

Ambridge
11-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Why would anyone want to recycle a loser like Jim Haslett for another head coaching job??
His teams were the model of inconsistantcy in New Orleans and they had pretty much quit on him two years before Katrina hit down there.

It was a miracle Lloyd Benson didn't fire him a lot sooner before he resigned.

Haslett along with (God Forbid) Dave Wanstedt are much better D-Coordinators than head coaches.

Steve Spurrier proved he doesn't have a clue on how to coach in the NFL and should have never left the college ranks in the first place.

I'd like to see Russ Grimm as a coordinator first plus he needs to get the O-line back in order first.

Darren Perry??? C'mon people!! A defensive backs coach who's done an average job.
He also needs to prove himself first as a coordinator.

Ken Whisenhunt?? I don't know. It seems like he's been asleep at the switch with some of his play calling this season...........he reminds me of Mike Mularkey too much.

The only person that would interest me right now is Ron Rivera from the Bears and maybe an obligatory look at Jeff Fisher.

IamTheSteelGod
11-09-2006, 07:06 AM
But who says he is deffo going? What are the facts.

ncoolong
11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
The Rooneys know what they have with this team. The Steelers are just a turnover-prone team, not a complete disaster like some other teams. If Cowher does go - and it will be his choice, not the organization's - they will look in-house first. My bet would be Grimm. The fact he's been around this team for so long and the great lines he's brought in...just seems a bit intentional for him to have stayed as long as he had. I think this was put into action a while ago, and he was given a new title (assistant head coach/offensive line coach) and a raise to stay in that spot, because they wanted to keep him around for when Cowher leaves.

If not him, I believe Whisenhunt has a more-than-decent chance for roughly the same reasons as Grimm - familiarity.

External candidates: I think Fisher would be the best, but everything I've read is that he is in Big D as soon as Big Tuna leaves (pending buy-out issues with the Titans). If Haslett's name comes up again, I'm going to f'n puke.

Not that I feel like I'm breaking news or originating thought or anything, but has Charlie Weis been mentioned?

coachspeak33
11-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you ambridge.... finally somebody who is using their head instead of their heart to do the thinking.... Haslett.... Perry, Wow!!!! I cant believe anybody on this site would say,

"Oh my gosh, we just hired Darren Perry....... WE'RE GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!"
or
"Hey, did ya hear the news.... the Steelers just replaced Cowher with Haslett. Yeah that Jim Haslett... the one who said the dominant Steel curtain of the 70's were roid raging freaks and gave the keys to the New Orleans franchise to ..... (gulp) Aaron Brooks."

Come on people.... what have we seen in any of our assistants this season that would warrant a vote of approval for any of them to become the head coach of this team.

This season is a black eye on the the resume' of every single coach on the staff.

If it were up to me, and obviously its not, but if it were up to me, the only assistant I would even consider (and probably still not hire) is Lebeau.... the players seem to respect him and seem to respond to him on a consistent basis.

coachspeak33
11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
agree with 98% of what you say ncoolong.... but I dont think Grimm has produced a "great O line" yet....
Starks has regressed since last year....
Simmons has taken a step back from a year ago as well....
Essex hasnt developed yet under Grimms direction....
and please somebody tell me we arent going to start next season with Okobi as our starting C.... he would be a liability every single game next year... could you imagine him trying to block Jammal Williams or John Henderson...... Uggghhhh....

Grimm hasnt exactly set the coaching world on fire.

I think we are in a position of strength simply cuz were the Steelers... owned and operated by the Rooney family.... with the best fans nationwide.... if they offered the job to Fisher there is no way he turns it down just so he can go babysit T.O.

Pittsburgh is a dreamjob for coaches...

coaches in 38 yrs... talk about job security!!!!!!!!

coachspeak33
11-09-2006, 08:26 AM
2 coaches in 38 years (my bad)

ncoolong
11-09-2006, 08:36 AM
agree with 98% of what you say ncoolong.... but I dont think Grimm has produced a "great O line" yet....
Starks has regressed since last year....
Simmons has taken a step back from a year ago as well....
Essex hasnt developed yet under Grimms direction....
and please somebody tell me we arent going to start next season with Okobi as our starting C.... he would be a liability every single game next year... could you imagine him trying to block Jammal Williams or John Henderson...... Uggghhhh....

Grimm hasnt exactly set the coaching world on fire.

I think we are in a position of strength simply cuz were the Steelers... owned and operated by the Rooney family.... with the best fans nationwide.... if they offered the job to Fisher there is no way he turns it down just so he can go babysit T.O.

Pittsburgh is a dreamjob for coaches...

coaches in 38 yrs... talk about job security!!!!!!!!

Every starting lineman eventually made the Pro Bowl in 2005 (injury replacements). Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Keydrick and Ross. That was a great line. Last year's got on pace a little later, but still dominated down the stretch.

Even as individuals, Grimm has presided over Faneca, who is more than likely a first-ballot HofF guard. Hartings switched from guard to center under Grimm and was an All-Pro at one point. Granted, Starks and Essex don't appear to be drawing comparisons to Anthony Munoz, but he's not responsible for who they draft.

As for Fisher, taking care of TO is no doubt a headache, but he'll find a way to make it work for the amount of money JJ is willing to spend on him. I don't think the Steelers are going to want to lose Cowher and pay his replacement more money.

coachspeak33
11-09-2006, 08:50 AM
good points... really....
I just would love Jeff Fisher to take over...
He is a professional, ya know, been there... done it... he would help this franchise.

Think of the sales pitch to him...
You can go to Dallas and deal with a prima donna, team chemistry killing, locker room dividing. talented WR. A meddling owner who fancies himself as some kinda glorified fantasy team head coach. An inexperienced QB. No line whatsoever.

Ooorrrrrrrr

You can come coach a team with good talent and good chemistry/unity... a healthy locker room (hey lets give these guys credit... even in the face of this horrid season... our guys remain professional for the most part... look at the Bengals locker room right now.... YIKES). This team also has future HoF'ers.... A top 2 or 3 in the league Defensive talent in Troy.... a 24 yr old super bowl winnning QB... the fastest back in the league.... blah blah blah...

And you get to work for the Rooneys... which by all accounts for the last 60 or so years people seem to universally respect and admire them.

Hey when Bill leaves alot of cash walks out with him.... and look around .... lotta Steelers merchandise flying off the shelves.... Art Jr. has the cash to spend on a HC... that is an important position when trying to win Super Bowls.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
he averaged only 8 wins a year after his initial year...that's not counting the 3-13 2005 year. IMO his biggest downfall is when they fired Randy Mueller. All I can say is I want the Saints to be in the Steelers division while he is coach. But there is one caviat....up to this point the Steelers ownership has been a tad better than Tpm Benson. LOL

I think you are touching on the problem...the Saints ownership and GM are ALWAYS going to have the last say in drafts...Haslett took the fall and so will every coach that the saints hire....unless they eventually hire a coach with enough pull and reputation to be able to override the GM

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Why would anyone want to recycle a loser like Jim Haslett for another head coaching job??
His teams were the model of inconsistantcy in New Orleans and they had pretty much quit on him two years before Katrina hit down there.

It was a miracle Lloyd Benson didn't fire him a lot sooner before he resigned.

Haslett along with (God Forbid) Dave Wanstedt are much better D-Coordinators than head coaches.

Steve Spurrier proved he doesn't have a clue on how to coach in the NFL and should have never left the college ranks in the first place.

I'd like to see Russ Grimm as a coordinator first plus he needs to get the O-line back in order first.

Darren Perry??? C'mon people!! A defensive backs coach who's done an average job.
He also needs to prove himself first as a coordinator.

Ken Whisenhunt?? I don't know. It seems like he's been asleep at the switch with some of his play calling this season...........he reminds me of Mike Mularkey too much.

The only person that would interest me right now is Ron Rivera from the Bears and maybe an obligatory look at Jeff Fisher.

You are actually comparing Wannstedt and Haslett?!!!!...It took the Bears YEARS to recover from Wannstedts regime...and the Dolphins are STILL paying the price for Wanny trading away their future....The Saints were a one year and QB away from being a contender after Haslett was fired.....NO COMPARISON!!!

Jeremy
11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Thank you ambridge.... finally somebody who is using their head instead of their heart to do the thinking.... Haslett.... Perry, Wow!!!! I cant believe anybody on this site would say,

"Oh my gosh, we just hired Darren Perry....... WE'RE GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!"
or
"Hey, did ya hear the news.... the Steelers just replaced Cowher with Haslett. Yeah that Jim Haslett... the one who said the dominant Steel curtain of the 70's were roid raging freaks and gave the keys to the New Orleans franchise to ..... (gulp) Aaron Brooks."

Come on people.... what have we seen in any of our assistants this season that would warrant a vote of approval for any of them to become the head coach of this team.

This season is a black eye on the the resume' of every single coach on the staff.

If it were up to me, and obviously its not, but if it were up to me, the only assistant I would even consider (and probably still not hire) is Lebeau.... the players seem to respect him and seem to respond to him on a consistent basis.

If you hire LeBeau, in 3 seasons we'd be looking for another head coach again.

greenparrot
11-09-2006, 09:59 AM
I think you are touching on the problem...the Saints ownership and GM are ALWAYS going to have the last say in drafts...Haslett took the fall and so will every coach that the saints hire....unless they eventually hire a coach with enough pull and reputation to be able to override the GM

the current GM hired Payton & they seem to be working together fine

greenparrot
11-09-2006, 10:02 AM
You are actually comparing Wannstedt and Haslett?!!!!...It took the Bears YEARS to recover from Wannstedts regime...and the Dolphins are STILL paying the price for Wanny trading away their future....The Saints were a one year and QB away from being a contender after Haslett was fired.....NO COMPARISON!!!

kinda disagree....we have 27 new players on this roster compared to last year. Primarily a new QB which would really be questionable that Haslett would make the change from Brooks or to anyone much better. And its not just the number of new faces...its the quality. No guarantee Haslett regime could make the same good personnel decisions.

Ambridge
11-09-2006, 04:41 PM
kinda disagree....we have 27 new players on this roster compared to last year. Primarily a new QB which would really be questionable that Haslett would make the change from Brooks or to anyone much better. And its not just the number of new faces...its the quality. No guarantee Haslett regime could make the same good personnel decisions.

That's a good point!

If I'm not mistaken there have been a few players that Payton has shown the door to that were probably "Dead Weight" while Haslett was there.

PirateSteeler
11-09-2006, 04:58 PM
my top ten wish list
1. romeo crennell
2. marvin lewis
3. Brian billik.
4. Jim fassel.
5. maurice carthon
6. Rex Ryan
7. Buddy Ryan
8. Bob bratkoski
9. Jeff Davidson
10. Butch Davis

You left Mike Holmgren off your list.

sumo
11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
It doesn't matter -I've said it many times - Mr Rooney will hire a minority as head coach - INMHO, he doesn't have much of a choice -- the forces of political correctness are too powerful these days

PirateSteeler
11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
The only answer to this question:

Jeromme Bettis needs to get out of the studio and ONTO THE SIDELINES!

Big D
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM
The only answer to this question:

Jeromme Bettis needs to get out of the studio and ONTO THE SIDELINES!

no they are going to lure michael irvin out of his espn position. We always needed a crack head as our head coach

PirateSteeler
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
no they are going to lure michael irvin out of his espn position. We always needed a crack head as our head coach

No irvin is bettis 1st choice for offensive cordinator.

sumo
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I have seen Joe Greene's name thrown around here -- why not? - none of us knew who Cowher was before he was chosen ...

shevdog
11-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Even with this sucky season, I want to see Bill finish off his contract. Yet when the day comes, Whiz is the man!

Ambridge
11-09-2006, 06:14 PM
It doesn't matter -I've said it many times - Mr Rooney will hire a minority as head coach - INMHO, he doesn't have much of a choice -- the forces of political correctness are too powerful these days

I don't think Mr. Rooney will cut his own throat for the sake of being PC even if he did push for the NFL Minority Hiring/Interview process.

With that being said Ron Rivera (Hispanic American if I'm correct) would fit the bill for both a respectable coach to look at and fulfilling the league policy on hiring/interviewing minorites.