PDA

View Full Version : McFadden to Start Over Taylor

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Steelers' McFadden to start Sunday over Taylor
Wednesday, November 08, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At least one of the Steelers' lineup changes alluded to by coach Bill Cowher this week may come as a surprise.

Ike Taylor, signed in September to a five-year, $22.5 million contract, was told he probably will not start at left cornerback when the Steelers play New Orleans in Heinz Field Sunday.

"That's how it is," Taylor said with a shrug. "I've got to work my way up, plain and simple."

Second-year man Bryant McFadden is next on the depth chart and likely would start in Taylor's place.

"I feel every week is an opportunity for me," said McFadden, who started two games this season at right cornerback for an injured Deshea Townsend. "Whenever my number's needed to be called, I always want to go out and play football and stay around the ball and try to be consistent."

Taylor, who received a $6.4 million signing bonus when he signed his new deal this year, often has been assigned to the opponent's best receiver this season. That's what he was doing Sunday when he covered Denver's Javon Walker. He shut down other receivers but Walker caught six passes for 134 yards including twin 10-yard touchdowns on fade patterns, which are basically lob passes in the end zone.

"It's a tough business, if that's how it is," McFadden said of a Taylor demotion. "For me, I'm just going in and doing what I usually do week-in and week-out and whatever happens on Sunday, be ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736757-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Wow, I was expecting Townsend. If it was more than one game (Townsend) with Taylor I wouldn't have a problem with the decision. Cowher favortism wins the day.

Stlrs4Life
11-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Wow, hopefully Ike will learn a lesson out of this. Motivate him maybe.

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 05:42 PM
It's strange, Cowher will put up with shitty play from Scott and Washington, but he will pull Ike Taylor after one really bad game.

Right....

Atlanta Dan
11-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Ed.B. says Cowher never plays for the next season (which certainly makes sense at the present time since he presumably will not be sweating out the 2007 performances), but this sure looks like a way to get McFadden some playing experience for future duties while at the same time trying to shake up Taylor (who certainly will be back given the contrcat he just signed).

I obviously am not breaking down film, but in terms of who deserves to go to the bench Townsend would seem to be more deserving based on both consistently subpar performances this season and his rip job on the coaching that was discussed in Smizik's column today.

steelfan 92
11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
i has not been one game it has been all year.

83-Steelers-43
11-08-2006, 05:45 PM
i has not been one game it has been all year.

With Townsend? I agree. With Ike? I don't agree.

Preacher
11-08-2006, 05:45 PM
HUH???:headshake: :hunch:

Of the two... TOWNSEND PLAYS?

WHAT!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
why not continue to groom 2 young CB and have them play next to each other now so they can guet use to it........I think townsend is good.....But this just has to be a motivational factor for IKE

Livinginthe past
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I think he would have been better pairing up Ike and McFadden if thats where the future lies in the DB corps - Townsend is a nickel back that doesnt know it yet.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes - maybe Ike gave a little too much attitude to Cowher after being disappointed with his own play?

Weird one.

NM

tony hipchest
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
wow.

townsend has had really good coverage on all the td's hes given up this year. its is difficult for a 5'10" dude to outleap someone 6'4". it only seems logical that he would be the one replaced.

im thinking ike was expected to have several more interceptions at this point of the year. the td he gave up to walker, he was in position and even looked back to locate the ball. still a td. i cant see him being yanked over that though.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I think he would have been better pairing up Ike and McFadden if thats where the future lies in the DB corps - Townsend is a nickel back that doesnt know it yet.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes - maybe Ike gave a little too much attitude to Cowher after being disappointed with his own play?

Weird one.

NM

Weird one. This sums up the whole Steelers season.

polamalufan43
11-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Ike Taylor is one of my favorite players, but needs to shape up his act in time. No doubt he will be back though, he needs to work on some catching drills and maybe some vert jumps to help.
Although I have to admit that I think McFadden will get the job done.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelerMurf
11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Ike has done well up to last week. I don't understand this at all. I am thinking he did something to tick Cowher off? I remember earlier in the year Ike got chewed out in a gam vs. the Jags. It appeared Ike was freelancing a little and Cowher caught him.

I am guessing they expected him to play the jump ball a different way and he just wasn't doing it.

Man if you are gonna bench someone, bench Townsend.

Steel Warrior
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I think those two fade TD's really pissed Cowher off, really pissed me off too. Ike never turned around to watch the ball nor did he get off the ground. We've been burnt by the fade about a dozen times it seems. Can somebody teach our CB's to keep an eye on the friggin ball? We're gonna keep seeing it since we can't stop it. Maybe we should try it some times.

:smoker:

BBC
11-08-2006, 11:20 PM
wow.

townsend has had really good coverage on all the td's hes given up this year. its is difficult for a 5'10" dude to outleap someone 6'4". it only seems logical that he would be the one replaced.

im thinking ike was expected to have several more interceptions at this point of the year. the td he gave up to walker, he was in position and even looked back to locate the ball. still a td. i cant see him being yanked over that though.

Not to mention Deshea tackles like it's his first years playing football.

I like the notion of starting Bryant, I think he's going to be a very good corner for us. I'm not sure I understand starting him in favor of Ike though - which seems to be the general consensus on the board.

augustashark
11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
I think those two fade TD's really pissed Cowher off, really pissed me off too. Ike never turned around to watch the ball nor did he get off the ground. We've been burnt by the fade about a dozen times it seems. Can somebody teach our CB's to keep an eye on the friggin ball? We're gonna keep seeing it since we can't stop it. Maybe we should try it some times.

:smoker:

I disagree. I think it was the play action pass that Ike bit on like a it was a filet mignon!

MJ5150
11-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Maybe the SB ring, and $22 million have caused Ike to feel a little too satisfied. I think Cowher may just be trying to get that fire back inside Ike.

-Mike

Preacher
11-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Maybe the SB ring, and $22 million have caused Ike to feel a little too satisfied. I think Cowher may just be trying to get that fire back inside Ike.

-Mike

I would LOVE to think that... however, that would be quite hypocritical of Cowher! He needs to find the fire in himself!

SteelCzar76
11-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Steelers' McFadden to start Sunday over Taylor
Wednesday, November 08, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At least one of the Steelers' lineup changes alluded to by coach Bill Cowher this week may come as a surprise.

Ike Taylor, signed in September to a five-year, $22.5 million contract, was told he probably will not start at left cornerback when the Steelers play New Orleans in Heinz Field Sunday.

"That's how it is," Taylor said with a shrug. "I've got to work my way up, plain and simple."

Second-year man Bryant McFadden is next on the depth chart and likely would start in Taylor's place.

"I feel every week is an opportunity for me," said McFadden, who started two games this season at right cornerback for an injured Deshea Townsend. "Whenever my number's needed to be called, I always want to go out and play football and stay around the ball and try to be consistent."

Taylor, who received a $6.4 million signing bonus when he signed his new deal this year, often has been assigned to the opponent's best receiver this season. That's what he was doing Sunday when he covered Denver's Javon Walker. He shut down other receivers but Walker caught six passes for 134 yards including twin 10-yard touchdowns on fade patterns, which are basically lob passes in the end zone.

"It's a tough business, if that's how it is," McFadden said of a Taylor demotion. "For me, I'm just going in and doing what I usually do week-in and week-out and whatever happens on Sunday, be ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736757-66.stm

"Motivation,.....Ike get on ya Job,,.....Ike Get on ya Job" LOL
Real talk,......Coach benching Ike (the lesser of two evils) and not Dshea,....has nothing to do with favoritism. It does however have a great deal to do with with forsight.
Dshea will never start again for this team after this season, Ike on the other hand is SUPPOSED to be a lock at his position.
Therefore,.... he WILL have to DESERVE it. This could be just the tip of the Iceberg in regards to coach taking off the "kid gloves" with his personel. If so,.....it's about time and i salute him (Coach).

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

skidboot
11-09-2006, 09:59 AM
its a wake up call, not only to Taylor but to the whole team.

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, eitherway Cowher just took out the player who leads the league in passes defended.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DB-TACKLES/2006/regular?&_3:col_1=11

skidboot
11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Maybe its because teams are attacking him more often. Offenses know that he has a real problem holding onto potential INTS.

cbalke
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
they benched the wrong guy. townsend single-handedly gave the broncos their first six points in that game(not why i'd bench him...he's been pretty bad all season).

you know who he reminded me of? dewayne washington in that game against the jaguars - we're up by 3 pts with 2 mins left...they throw EVERY SINGLE PLAY to his man, score and win.

that's the person i was expecting to go down.

and, did you happen to notice that after the first series, ike took over dashea's assignments? i thought it was cause dashea couldn't handle walker(no one could that day), but damn...don't hang on to a guy just cause he's first on a mythical depth chart.

Prosdo
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I kind of thought Deshea would be benched not Ike. I was looking forward to seeing Ike and Bryant playing together.

nflfan
11-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Saints fan here. I was just wondering how you guys feel this lineup change will affect the Steelers defensive coverage of the Saints. Who do you think they will line up against our receivers? Just interested in your thoughts on this...

P.S. We have a great respect for your team and hope for a great game on Sunday. We cheered for the Steelers all the way through the playoffs last year. Felt like it was destiny for Bettis to play the championship in his home town.

My husband and I are having some Steelers fans over Sunday to watch the game. Here's to a good one.

SalukiSteelers
11-09-2006, 02:12 PM
I honestly didn't think Ike played that poorly in Sunday's loss. Sure, Walker had a couple of TDs but those were well-thrown passes in a spot where only a receiver standing taller than six-foot-two could get them. There must be some behind-the-scenes issues with this choice. McFadden must be the least popular corner on the team. Whenever BC wants to send a message he uses McFadden to take plays away from somebody else.

steelcurtain09
11-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Well, eitherway Cowher just took out the player who leads the league in passes defended.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DB-TACKLES/2006/regular?&_3:col_1=11
does nebody even have to tell u y tht is??

ROYND1
11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I def don't agree with this move!:dang: Ike has played pretty damn good this year.All corners get beat from time to time.Even Champ Baileys had bad games. Move Townsend to nickel already,he's the one killing us.I also can't stand how our corners are constently lining up 10 yards off the WR! I wish Rod Woodson would spend some time with Ike and McFadden and teach them some stuff. A lttle more pass rush wouldn't hurt either.:banging:

83-Steelers-43
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
does nebody even have to tell u y tht is??

Not at all, just putting it out there. I would still take it over the toasting Townsend has been receiving. Thankfully I'm not the only one.

Atlanta Dan
11-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I honestly didn't think Ike played that poorly in Sunday's loss. Sure, Walker had a couple of TDs but those were well-thrown passes in a spot where only a receiver standing taller than six-foot-two could get them. There must be some behind-the-scenes issues with this choice. McFadden must be the least popular corner on the team. Whenever BC wants to send a message he uses McFadden to take plays away from somebody else.

Height had nothing to do with Ike getting beat deep midway through the 4th Q.

Taylor has had enough lapses this year that Cowher apparently has decided to send a message. I think Townsend should sit, but maybe Cowher figures DT simply is doing what he can with more limited skills while Ike is falling asleep out there. Mystery to me remains how Townsend beat out McFadden in the first place.

4n2t0
11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Quoted from SteelCzar76 "Motivation,.....Ike get on ya Job,,.....Ike Get on ya Job" LOL
Real talk,......Coach benching Ike (the lesser of two evils) and not Dshea,....has nothing to do with favoritism. It does however have a great deal to do with with forsight.
Dshea will never start again for this team after this season, Ike on the other hand is SUPPOSED to be a lock at his position."

Nail on the head brother, I can 't believe it took that long into the thread for someone to mention it.

This move makes sense, if you realize it's a motivational tool to get Ike playing well. No need to motivate Townsend, as SteelCzar79 mentioned, he likely won't be a Steelers next year.

Taylor will start on the bench for the first few defensive serie's, then he will play almost every down against the Saints.

I think it will be Taylor and McFadden by half time, likely sooner.

blitzburgh5
11-10-2006, 12:45 PM
I def don't agree with this move!:dang: Ike has played pretty damn good this year.All corners get beat from time to time.Even Champ Baileys had bad games. Move Townsend to nickel already,he's the one killing us.I also can't stand how our corners are constently lining up 10 yards off the WR! I wish Rod Woodson would spend some time with Ike and McFadden and teach them some stuff. A lttle more pass rush wouldn't hurt either.:banging:
I for one totally agree with the comment about our corners lineing up 10 yards off the receiver. That's the dumbest thing in the world, and we've done it for years. That's the equivillent of giving the reciever a running head start! It's no wonder our corners are forever being toasted!

At any rate, Taylor's effort Sunday was one of the main reasons we lost that game, which is probably the main reason he's being benched. The effort he made when trying to tackle Walker on the reverse play was as sick of an effort as I've ever seen. As for the 2nd touchdown catch by Walker, the announcers on TV said that Taylor played it very poorly and should have been taking away the sideline side of Walker (where he caught the ball) since he had help on the inner-side. He was just asleep the entire game.

Atlanta Dan
11-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Correct me if am wrong, but didn't Townsend rather than Taylor have containment and whiff on the tackle on the reverse?

blitzburgh5
11-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Correct me if am wrong, but didn't Townsend rather than Taylor have containment and whiff on the tackle on the reverse?
I don't know, I coulda swore it was Taylor. Does anyone know for sure?? If in fact it was DT, then I stand corrected and DT should be the guy sittin' this week.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't know, I coulda swore it was Taylor. Does anyone know for sure?? If in fact it was DT, then I stand corrected and DT should be the guy sittin' this week.

It was DT.

Personally, I don't see the problem with playing Townsend in the nickel and dime packages while starting McFadden and Taylor. Let the #2 pick McFadden get some experience out there. Townsend was beat for a 30-yard touchdown by Houshmandzadeh, a 9-yarder by Malcolm Floyd and a 15-yard touchdown by Michael Jenkins, all in which he had tight coverage.

Meanwhile, Taylor has covered the likes of Chris Chambers, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss this season, and did not allow a touchdown against any of those receivers. Against Moss, he allowed just two catches for 20 yards.

The guy had one (very) bad game. Yet Cowher had no problem when Chad Scott, Dwayne Washington and Deshea Townsend were getting toasted.

blitzburgh5
11-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Cowher's one of those coach's who always seems partial to the veterans. It takes him forever to bench a guy who's been around a long time regardless of how bad he's getting burnt. Now that I know it was DT who got smoked on the reverse, I would rather see Taylor play than DT. And, just to play the devil's advocate for a second, Chambers, Johnson, and Moss haven't exactly scored against anybody so far this year. :) But I'll still take youth and quickness any day over a slower more experienced vet. But that's just me.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 01:55 PM
And, just to play the devil's advocate for a second, Chambers, Johnson, and Moss haven't exactly scored against anybody so far this year.

No doubt and good point, but that's not Ike's fault. He's still facing every team's top WR week in and week out. With the exception of one very bad game he's done a pretty good job for the most part. Hypothetically, even if he was the one who missed the tackle on the reverse I still wouldn't agree with Cowher's decision. One bad game is one bad game. I can't say the same about Townsend this year.

tony hipchest
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
No doubt and good point, but that's not Ike's fault. He's still facing every team's top WR week in and week out. With the exception of one very bad game he's done a pretty good job for the most part. Hypothetically, even if he was the one who missed the tackle on the reverse I still wouldn't agree with Cowher's decision. One bad game is one bad game. I can't say the same about Townsend this year.great points guys. see how theres kind of been backtrack from the"ike taylor being demoted" talk. that it will now be a gametime decision?

i smell a slight shift in defensive philosophy for this game. how have the saints been beating teams? d. brees. he is being mentionned as the midway defensive MVP. how have the steelers been defensively approaching games this season? shut down the run. (SD and Atl come to mind)

benching ike just doesnt make sense whereas having 3 cb's on the field in most known passing downs (especially when r. bush could be catching alot of passes) makes a hell of alot of sense.

DT asked for some help from lebeau. lets see if the secondary gets that help and what the results are. i think if im correct it helps us bring a little more blitzing pressure.

oh, and i think we can stop blaming the players themselves for playing wr's 10 yds off the line. thats why it is called a ZONE defense. for anyone who dont know, the steelers play a ZONE-BLITZ scheme (lebeau pretty much invented it)