PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, what made the 70's teams so great.....

LambertIsGod58
07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
In my opinion it was a combination of things.....1) Either Chuck Noll or the Rooneys were just that great at drafting college talent. 9 HOF selections in 5 drafts 1970-74. Almost EVERY player was home grown. Then again unrestricted free agency didn't exist back then. 2) The way Chuck Noll coached. He was much more philosophical than I ever thought. He coached under the great Don Shula in Baltimore. He explained to his team that the way they played would be a reflection of their efforts and also the way they lived their lives. Until recently, I never realized how great Chuck Noll was. 3) This is probably the biggest reason of all.....THE ROONEYS. When can you ever remember a teams' owner care so much about his players. The players cared so much about Art that they always did "whatever it takes" to win for him. The players never felt that winning was the most important thing. It was about family. That kind of committment does not exist today. Those teams were about TEAM. And I guess that's why I will always rant and rave about the Glory Days of the 1970's. Cause I know that I will never see another team like those in my lifetime.

clevestinks
07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Where to start. Attitude, and they all had it. They were always on the same page. Everyone of those players just knew that they were going to win. Our defense was outstanding, and thier attitude rub off on our offense, gave them a bit of a chip on thier shoulders. Mr.Noll, and Mr.Rooney can`t say enough. Nobody today can draft multiple HOF`ers in one draft.

SteelerSal
07-24-2005, 02:49 PM
http://www.hofgroup.com/ProductImages/jm/fb/70ssteelers.jpg

They played together as a team,all those Hall of Famers,and alot that should be,and not one ego that poisoned the locker room. They fed thier energy off of each other,if one player was having a weak performance,another would step up thier play.

I believe that thier "TEAM" play made them the super stars that they were,and if most of these guys played for anyone else,they would'nt of been "Household Names".

VaDave
07-24-2005, 07:36 PM
When this team was assembled, we had two distint advantages. # 1, Howie Hack, our chief scout, knew the small backwood schools, that turned out greats, like LC Greenwood, John Stallworth, Joe Greene, Sam Davis, Donnie Schell to name a few. #2, the draft in Febuary alowed us to keep those type of players under wraps. Make no mistake about it, without Howie Hack, there would not have been the super Steelers of the 70s.

bengalsfan21
07-25-2005, 07:40 AM
2 main thingd play into every teams success, determination and the the will too win.....Obviously they had this plus they had some talent.

ironcitychef
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Where to start. Attitude, and they all had it. They were always on the same page. Everyone of those players just knew that they were going to win. Our defense was outstanding, and thier attitude rub off on our offense, gave them a bit of a chip on thier shoulders. Mr.Noll, and Mr.Rooney can`t say enough. Nobody today can draft multiple HOF`ers in one draft.

Been busy, but wanted to piggyback on this. Sometimes games were won before they even got on the field. The other team saw our guys and realized they were not going home with a win. Then just in case you thought you might stick around until the 4th quarter, they brought physical play to a new level and got you ready to quit by halftime.

SteelerFanInATL
07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Teamwork, loyalty, and commitment to winning.

Livinginthe past
07-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Even if it is impossible to replicate the kind of HOF talent on the 70's Steelers I am a firm believer that there is alot of qualities that could be used as a blue-print for success today.
I dont think it would be too much of a stretch to say that the modern-day Patriots have attempted to take on board as many of these properties as possible.

1. Team above all else.
2. Ruthless when the game changing window opens
3. Physical Intimidation
4. Mental Intimidation

I dont want to try and drag this onto the Pats topic but I thought the idea of having all the players run out together at the beginning of the SB 4 years ago was inspired.

SNIFF SNIFF , IS THAT PRE-SEASON I SMELL?

NM

Prosdo
07-26-2005, 01:00 AM
I was not born until 1986 so I didn't get to experience the 70's Steelers. One thing I have heard a lot about was there attitude, toughness, and ability to get it done.

Avoid LLoyd1975
07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
The front office and one of the most integral parts of an organization.....Its fan base.