PDA

View Full Version : big ben booed in pittsburgh

vasteeler
11-10-2006, 01:06 PM
just read in sports ill. that the fans booed ben after the cincy game does anybody know if this is true? if so they should be ashamed

tony hipchest
11-10-2006, 01:14 PM
agreed. the worst thing to happen to the steelers is for the fans to turn on them and start treating ben like kordell.

believe it or not the team feeds on the fan support. it helped fuel them to a sb win last season.

rowedf
11-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Thats bull crap. If a player does not perform well or makes mistake after mistake he SHOULD be boo'd and I bet Ben would be the first to admit he has deserved to be boo'd several times this year. Just as they take the praise when they are playing well, they need to be able to take the down side as well.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Fans boo. It occurs in every stadium across every state in every sport. It won't be the first time nor will it be the last.

Personally, being at the game, the boo's were directed towards the team in general. From the top on down.

SteelersWoman
11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Gee--what a wonderful way to treat a part of the "family". Nothing any better to boost someone's morale than to boo them. I know that's how I bring out the best in my two boys.....Yep--puttin someone down makes them want to work their hardest for you....NOT!!

Oh--and just because other teams "fans" do it (sheesh, if that's fans, I'd hate to see enemies) doesn't make it right. Ever heard the old saying "if so and so jumped off a bridge, would you do it too"? So to those "fans" who use someone else's actions as a measuring stick for their own--you need to get another measuring stick.

83-Steelers-43
11-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Yep--puttin someone down makes them want to work their hardest for you....NOT!!

I agree. That's why the only people I boo are those of the opposing team when they walk out of Heinz Field turf.

Oh--and just because other teams "fans" do it (sheesh, if that's fans, I'd hate to see enemies) doesn't make it right.

I agree. I personally don't think it's right, but I'm not shocked when it occurs. At the same time, I'm not going to have a heart attack or look at a fellow fan differently if he or she decide to boo. Doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

:thumbsup:

BigDuke6
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I dont/wont ever boo the Steelers. Well, not since Mark Malone, Bubby Brister and Neil O'Donnell anyway. Compared to them, these Steelrs (Ben in particular) are God-sends.
I defend the right to boo. Just chose not to for myself.

Stillers#1
11-10-2006, 02:30 PM
I dont/wont ever boo the Steelers. Well, not since Mark Malone, Bubby Brister and Neil O'Donnell anyway. Compared to them, these Steelrs (Ben in particular) are God-sends.
I defend the right to boo. Just chose not to for myself.

Agreed, I too am not a "booer" but Ben should be booed if he sucks it up. If your kids do a bad job at something, are you going to praise them for it? I don't plan on doing that with my kids, he is being paid millions of dollars and he should be held accountable. I'd rather see boo's than people calling for him to be replace by Batch.

HometownGal
11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I have never booed one of my own - it just isn't in me. I realize that even though they are paid to perform as professionals, they are human beings just like me and are prone to error at any given time - just like me.

Pittsburgh fans are especially hard on their QBs as history as shown. When our starting QB is having a rough game, the back-up becomes the savior and the fair haired boy - until he has a bad game. It is a habitual vicious circle, unfortunately.

SteelersWoman
11-10-2006, 02:56 PM
If your kids do a bad job at something, are you going to praise them for it?....he is being paid millions of dollars and he should be held accountable.

If my kids do bad at something, I don't put them down, and I don't boo them. That's not "support". I tell them how much better it would be (or they'd feel) if they do it right. I think the guys on our team already know how good it feels to do it right.

I don't think booing someone is "holding them accountable"....

It's just my hope that when Big Ben becomes known as the best QB who ever lived, that he'll be right here in Pittsburgh--and not playin for some other team, with him having bad memories of what it was like to play here for fickle people who LOVED him when he did well, but hated/booed him when he had a bad season.

floodcitygirl
11-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I was at that game. Personally I heard no booing.

polamalufan43
11-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, I'm not booing him just yet, although I see why the fans would want to, but I think that's just stupid to. I wonder what the fans today would've done before the 1970's

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 03:11 PM
just read in sports ill. that the fans booed ben after the cincy game does anybody know if this is true? if so they should be ashamed

Aggreed VA. he's doing his best and needs all the support he can get. His season has been Big Ben like.

STEELCRTN4EVER
11-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Winners get cheers and losers catch hell at the stadium. That is just how it is. Pittsburgh Fans expect greatness and loathe losing.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Winners get cheers and losers catch hell at the stadium. That is just how it is. Pittsburgh Fans expect greatness and loathe losing.

isn't that the truth!

Livinginthe past
11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree with booing players who are showing a deliberate lack of motivation out on the field - players who are taking the money and not leaving everything out on the field.

However, i've never seen anything constructive come out of hurling abuse or booing a guy who is trying his best but it just isn't happening for him.

If im at a soccer game and my team is playing poorly it make me shout encouragement (with a little abuse thrown in for motivation of course) - not aimless booing - seriously, boo's are for the bad guy on the other team, or for the other team in general - never for your own.

NM

sumo
11-10-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't have a problem with booing, but IMO - Ben doesn't deserve it - if he's guilty of anything - it's trying too hard - maybe trying to force too much - but he definetly does not deserve boos - example of plays/players deserving boos:

Randy Moss - especially when he takes plays off
Jake Plummer - especially when he was getting sacked deep in his own territory and he switched the ball to his non throwing hand and flipped it right to a defensive tackle
TO - All the time because he's TO and he's a punk
Jeremy Stevens - see TO

herewegosteelers
11-10-2006, 05:34 PM
That is terrible. I would never boo my boys. Dissapointed in them yes! But I support them through good & bad. LIke I do with the rest of my family.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-10-2006, 05:46 PM
No problem with booing! When you throw 5/6 int's in the red zone you deserve to be booed. How many of you would'nt have booed Holmes after his performance at returning kicks?

PirateSteeler
11-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I booed the shit out of that pu$$y and the team. They deserved every bit of it too. We pay you to perform. I dont like to see my team give up. Especially when I am paying 150+ for a ticket to the game. Does your boss cheer you when you **** up or do they get on your ass.

To clearify. It hurts me as a fan to boo more than it hurts them to hear it. TOUGH LOVE!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok all the Pirates and Steelers games that I have attended in my life there is only one Pittsburgh player that I ever booed. That was Al Martin when he played for the Pirates. I lived in Pittsburgh for a year and attended many Pirates game in that time. I swear every game I went to Al Martin would hit into a double play. So I started booing him.

MJ5150
11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I have made it a general practice not to "boo" any athlete. They are performing at a level I can only dream of. No matter how much I dislike them, I still respect them enough not to boo them. That's just me though.

I have no problems with other fans boo-ing opposing players. Boo-ing your own team is mind boggling. If you aren't enjoying the game, then go home!!

-Mike

MattsMe
11-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you want to enjoy the cheers, then you have to accept the boos. I've never booed the Steelers, even though the last two games I've attended were losses, but I don't have a problem when people do it. Booing your own team is a reaction to the performance, not the the player.

Does anyone remember fans hanging a stuffed dummy wearing a no. 12 jersey by a noose at Three Rivers? Now that was a little overboard.

jaysta
11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I have made it a general practice not to "boo" any athlete. They are performing at a level I can only dream of. No matter how much I dislike them, I still respect them enough not to boo them. That's just me though.

I have no problems with other fans boo-ing opposing players. Boo-ing your own team is mind boggling. If you aren't enjoying the game, then go home!!

-Mike

Nicely put! :cheers:

tony hipchest
11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I agree with booing players who are showing a deliberate lack of motivation out on the field - players who are taking the money and not leaving everything out on the field.

However, i've never seen anything constructive come out of hurling abuse or booing a guy who is trying his best but it just isn't happening for him.

If im at a soccer game and my team is playing poorly it make me shout encouragement (with a little abuse thrown in for motivation of course) - not aimless booing - seriously, boo's are for the bad guy on the other team, or for the other team in general - never for your own.

NMi couldnt agree more with thispost. the booing that 4x sb champ terry bradshaw received, with mush for a shoulder and years of sucess forgotten, was a contibuting factor to him skipping out on art rooneys funeral. a regret he will take to his grave.

believe it or not their is a certain energy that 12 men on the field can draw from 70,000 fans. either positive or negative.

anyone remember the 2002 playoffs against the browns? although i wasnt there, while many were probably booing, i was cheering my ass off, knowing the steelers could win.

i have yelled, cursed, cussed and screamed at the screen, but have never boo'd.

i leave that for the cardinals, bengals, saints, and browns fans.

Preacher
11-11-2006, 12:56 AM

NM

Yep... I absolutely agree.

steelersfanmx
11-11-2006, 01:45 AM
there's 2 thing that dislike me most in a foot ball game: when
fans turn them on their own teams booing them... and when the team is losing,
and "fans" leave the stadium before the game ends.!!!

SUPPORT.. is all i can spect and give for:
my family (a team)
co-workers (a team)
my friends (a team)
and of course... steelers ( a team) !!!...lol...

billcowherschin
11-11-2006, 04:09 AM
how can you call yourselves real fans if you are "boo-ing" your team, everyone rides on ben's back to the sb last year, now he has a stressful and emotional off season trying to recover from his injuries in the accident and the surgery, cut the guy a break he has been out there showing guts...although i agree he may have needed more rest....you really cant tell the leader of your team to sit if he is cleared by the doctors to play and he wants to be out there ballin...so sit back and give ben a chance to get his confidence and groove back, although it may be a little to late this season remember this is only his 3rd year in the league and he spoiled us with his sucess the first two years, none of us would have ever thought we would have been so dominate with him as qb after maddox went down

Preacher
11-11-2006, 04:14 AM
You know what is funny... If Ben had sat in the Jax game and played in cincy.. and did the exact same, all the fans would say that Ben was soft and should have played in the Jax game. If he then sat for the Oakland game after the concussion, they would have said he should have played based on the loss to Denver, that he was soft for not playing.

Personally, I prefer that he would have sat both games. However, I am not the one complaining about him. Whether he wins 1 game this year, or 9 games this year... He is still our man!

steelersfanmx
11-11-2006, 02:58 PM
how can you call yourselves real fans if you are "boo-ing" your team, everyone rides on ben's back to the sb last year, now he has a stressful and emotional off season trying to recover from his injuries in the accident and the surgery, cut the guy a break he has been out there showing guts...although i agree he may have needed more rest....you really cant tell the leader of your team to sit if he is cleared by the doctors to play and he wants to be out there ballin...so sit back and give ben a chance to get his confidence and groove back, although it may be a little to late this season remember this is only his 3rd year in the league and he spoiled us with his sucess the first two years, none of us would have ever thought we would have been so dominate with him as qb after maddox went down

Absolutely agree.... Ben is in hes 3th year and is amazind wath hes achieve until now...
i can't wait to see what he can do...once he learn and mature as a player....

Elvis
11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :helmet: :helmet: Big Ben will be just fine.. he has went through alot this offseason and this season is pretty much over but lets play this season out and be the ones that everyone hates to seee us on their schedule the rest of the season and have fun....:banana: :jammin: :coffee: :cheer: :bouncy: :flap: :chicken: :wave:

iloveben7
11-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes that is true that the fans booed Ben after the Cincy game!! I was so mad when I found out because you can't call yourselves fans if you give up on your own players. In no way does Ben deserve to get booed. Look how much he has accomplished and gone through in the past 2 years!! If you put your own team down, then you are stupid. We all know that Ben is the best quarterback ever and we don't want him to have bad memories of his fans!!

Prosdo
11-11-2006, 05:22 PM
It doesn't surprise me. Pittsburgh has always been terribly hard on their QB's. Hell, I was hearing people saying cut Big Ben last week and they meant it. Just to clarify that certainly does not account for all Burghers. A great deal of us are still behind Ben 100%.

iloveben7
11-11-2006, 05:31 PM
It doesn't surprise me. Pittsburgh has always been terribly hard on their QB's. Hell, I was hearing people saying cut Big Ben last week and they meant it. Just to clarify that certainly does not account for all Burghers. A great deal of us are still behind Ben 100%.
Yeah it doesn't surprise me either, but I just don't understand why they call themselves die-hard fans and then as soon as someone does something wrong, they turn on them. If the Steelers ever go 0-16 in the future, I would be behing them 200%!!

SteelerMurf
11-11-2006, 08:26 PM

I was at the game, heard nobody boo Ben. We did boo Ricardo Coke that is for certain!

Stillers#1
11-11-2006, 09:03 PM
If my kids do bad at something, I don't put them down, and I don't boo them. That's not "support". I tell them how much better it would be (or they'd feel) if they do it right. I think the guys on our team already know how good it feels to do it right.

I don't think booing someone is "holding them accountable"....

It's just my hope that when Big Ben becomes known as the best QB who ever lived, that he'll be right here in Pittsburgh--and not playin for some other team, with him having bad memories of what it was like to play here for fickle people who LOVED him when he did well, but hated/booed him when he had a bad season.

Then how do they get held accountable? They don't get pay cuts when they suck, but when they do well, they hold out of camp for more money. I just think booing is perfectly acceptable. When I was a kid, if I ****ed up, I got my ass beat, I got over it. Ben will too.

Stillers#1
11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes that is true that the fans booed Ben after the Cincy game!! I was so mad when I found out because you can't call yourselves fans if you give up on your own players. In no way does Ben deserve to get booed. Look how much he has accomplished and gone through in the past 2 years!! If you put your own team down, then you are stupid. We all know that Ben is the best quarterback ever and we don't want him to have bad memories of his fans!!

I don't think booing ben makes anyone less of a fan. I can boo Ben if I wanted too and still call myself a die-hard fan. I see no problem with holding our players accountable for crappy play. I typically don't boo, but there are times when I will, Ben deserves to be booed right now, he sure as hell doesn't deserve any cheers.

Oh and Ben is far from the best QB ever, not even in our own franchise.

touchdownward
11-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Like Prosdo mentioned, Pittsburgh fans have always been notorious for getting on a QB's arse when he's not performing. Bradshaw heard his share at the beginning and end of his career. Didn't some Steeler fans cheer when he broke his hand???
Incidently, I've never been a boo bird towards my team, what good could come out of it?.

SuckItUp
11-12-2006, 12:37 AM
People need to boo others more often. If you suck, you need to know it! Someone should gently take you by the hand to a quiet little place and BOO you till you cry!!
Then...maybe you won't suck anymore. :poke:

Stillers#1
11-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Someone should gently take you by the hand to a quiet little place and BOO you till you cry!!

That is the funniest shit I have ever read in my entire life.

Infamix
11-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I would never boo a Steeler

speaking of "boo", how ****ing weird is it? I mean the word makes no sense...BOO! Whats the origin, whats the point?

PalmerSteel
11-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I would never boo a Steeler

speaking of "boo", how ****ing weird is it? I mean the word makes no sense...BOO! Whats the origin, whats the point?

if this makes any sense:
"to startle," c.1430, probably because it can be pronounced as a loud, booming sound; as an expression of disapproval, 1816, perhaps imitative of oxen; hence, the verb meaning "shower someone with boos" (1893). Boo-hoo first recorded 1525, originally of laughter or weeping. To say boo "open one's mouth, speak," originally was to say boo to a goose.

:cheers:

stillers4me
11-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd only boo a player that made derogitory statements about the team or the city. That shows a bad attitude.

Ben has never made excuses (contrary to popular belief) and keeps going back to the battlefield even with injuries. What more can you ask of a warrior? He gave us the thrill of victories past and he is our future.

Stlrs4Life
11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I don't believed they booed Ben, they were probably booing those 2 terrible fumbles.

melroseplace
11-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I am not a big fan of "booing" in general...occasionally I will (esp at the refs lol) but never for one of our boys. I can understand other people doing it but sometimes it gets out of control. for instance tonight at the game Ike made a bad play and a guy behind me continuously (for about 5 minutes) screamed at Ike how bad he sucks, etc. we were close enough to the field that it would be possible for Ike to hear that...there's really no need. after the play occurs out of frustration it's okay to say/yell something but then let it go, move on. if the players are feeling negative energy from the crowd I would think it'd be harder to focus on making the next play

Steelers
11-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Nothing Ben can do short of slaughtering helpless kittens could get me to boo him. The guy brought us One for the Thumb and is a warrior through and through. He's the real deal, and if you boo him, you are a certifiable jackass.

SteelersWoman
11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
If you suck, you need to know it!

Goin out on a limb here, but I have a very strange feelin that our guys know when they're not playin up to their usual level. I also have the strange feelin that they're bein harder on themselves than any "fans" who are capable of booing.

It's my own opinion that encouragement works better than physical or emotional harm and/or put downs. A bee responds to honey rather than vinegar...I believe it's the same for people :smile:

omawho
11-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Hell, booing is simply a show of frustration when it's done to the home team. This is the city that booed Terry Bradshaw, fer crying out loud....

Infamix
11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
if this makes any sense:
"to startle," c.1430, probably because it can be pronounced as a loud, booming sound; as an expression of disapproval, 1816, perhaps imitative of oxen; hence, the verb meaning "shower someone with boos" (1893). Boo-hoo first recorded 1525, originally of laughter or weeping. To say boo "open one's mouth, speak," originally was to say boo to a goose.

:cheers:

That is a hilarious definition

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't believed they booed Ben, they were probably booing those 2 terrible fumbles.

That's how I perceived it.

iloveben7
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't think booing ben makes anyone less of a fan. I can boo Ben if I wanted too and still call myself a die-hard fan. I see no problem with holding our players accountable for crappy play. I typically don't boo, but there are times when I will, Ben deserves to be booed right now, he sure as hell doesn't deserve any cheers.

Oh and Ben is far from the best QB ever, not even in our own franchise.
I think it makes you much less of a fan because you can't turn on your own team even if they were losing 500-nothing. You can't be a "die-hard" fan if you go out booing your own team because in no way could you do what they are doing. If you could I'd see your butt running on the field instead of theirs. Ben DOES NOT deserve to be booed now or anytime because he's the one that brought us the championship and he already knows that he wasn't performing at his best. Look at what he's gone through in the past year with the motorcycle accident and the appendicitis. But he still goes out and plays every week. And excuse me, but did you see that game yesterday? Ben was AMAZING and did you see how many tackles he got away from? I've NEVER seen that in my life and with the uncalled hits right before half-time, he still continued to play. Ben is a fighter and he doesn't blame his mistakes on his team like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. And if you think Bradshaw was a good QB then I don't know what you think. Ben may not be a better QB than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, but he has the heart and attitude of a CHAMPION!!!
THANK YOU:helmet: :helmet:

X-Terminator
11-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Why should anyone should be surprised that Ben was (or wasn't) booed at that game? It's been the Steeler fan mantra for the past 30+ years. It's always been a "what have you done for me lately" town.

I personally don't like booing, and I would never, ever boo my own team. That's just wrong and disrespectful. I show disapproval by shaking my head or yelling at them to pull their heads out of their asses, or point out how poorly they're playing...but I never boo. I save that for our division rivals, the Spank-Mes and Jaromir Jagr.

R2sojr
11-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I see it this way..when u cheer it kicks them up a couple beats...when u boo them dont u think its sucking there energy away???...i only boo refs and opposing teams!!..and sometimes Ike Taylor..lol:flap: