PDA

View Full Version : Steelers and Steroids

sumo
11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
I posted a comment about the Steelers and Steroids in the 70s early 80s yesterday on one of the threads because lately I'm hearing the Steelers won all of their SBs in the 70s because of Roids - granted I live in a Seahawk infested area - but I just had another guy on my lunch break say "hey, everybody knows the Steelers dominated in the 70s because of steroids - where have you been dude?!! - it's common knowledge" - maybe this sentiment has always been there and I just never noticed it -- but what the h*** is this all about? - and why is it surfacing now? - or has it always been floating around? - I completely disagree with it for a lot of reasons, but I want to hear from the SF....

skinart82
11-10-2006, 06:15 PM
***NOT TRUE*** I have never heard this before

PirateSteeler
11-10-2006, 06:17 PM
It is pretty widely known in the sports world that the linemen were on roids. Its kind of unspoken though... you know?

PirateSteeler
11-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Courson exonerated the Steelers' defensive linemen -- "In those days, few defensive linemen did [steroids]," he wrote -- which is why L.C. Greenwood could go on a national radio show the other day and say, with good conscience, that Haslett's assertion was the damnedest thing he ever heard.

But Courson wrote that 75 percent of the Steelers' offensive linemen took steroids at one time or another and would sit around as a group discussing their usage the way other men might discuss their wife or girlfriend, a night at the bar or a good hunting trip.

"Disgruntled players throughout the league called us the 'Steroid Team,' as if performance-enhancing drugs were the sole reason for our success," Courson wrote, adding how maniacal the Steelers' linemen were in the weight room.

"The fact is, our [steroids] usage was the same -- give or take -- as most of the NFL teams at that time."

Courson played for the Steelers from mid 70's to early 80's

silver & black
11-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I posted a comment about the Steelers and Steroids in the 70s early 80s yesterday on one of the threads because lately I'm hearing the Steelers won all of their SBs in the 70s because of Roids - granted I live in a Seahawk infested area - but I just had another guy on my lunch break say "hey, everybody knows the Steelers dominated in the 70s because of steroids - where have you been dude?!! - it's common knowledge" - maybe this sentiment has always been there and I just never noticed it -- but what the h*** is this all about? - and why is it surfacing now? - or has it always been floating around? - I completely disagree with it for a lot of reasons, but I want to hear from the SF....

While there might be some small truth to the alleged use of steroids by some players, I doubt that most were involved with it.

The Steelers of the 70's were badass because of the players they had, not because of anything those players were allegedly taking. I have read similar things about the 70's Raiders. Again, I'm sure some players were using steroids, but I doubt that most were. They were also a badass buch because of the players, not because of steroids. Yeah, I know Alzado used them, but he didn't play for us in the 70's.

Every team has players that use steroids... always have and always will. Steroids don't win championships... great players and great teams do. The 70's Steelers had great players on great teams... simple as that.

sumo
11-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Courson played for the Steelers from mid 70's to early 80's

I remember watching an ESPN special and seeing Jack Lambert - he said something like "it's obvious I never took them - I was always the skinniest guy on the field - I played middle linebacker in the NFL at 212 lbs..."

I also know Joe Greene disliked weight training - I'm assuming all these allegations are aimed at the offensive line?

sumo
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
While there might be some small truth to the alleged use of steroids by some players, I doubt that most were involved with it.

The Steelers of the 70's were badass because of the players they had, not because of anything those players were allegedly taking. I have read similar things about the 70's Raiders. Again, I'm sure some players were using steroids, but I doubt that most were. They were also a badass buch because of the players, not because of steroids. Yeah, I know Alzado used them, but he didn't play for us in the 70's.

Every team has players that use steroids... always have and always will. Steroids don't win championships... great players and great teams do. The 70's Steelers had great players on great teams... simple as that.

You know - steroids were legal then too - whenever I bring this up -- people look at me like I'm full of sh**, but it's true - I knew guys that were taking steroids by perscription under a doctor's supervision in the early 80s when I was in high school - one of my friends actually had his dad take him to a doctor renowned as a BALCO type guy - but I agree with you - Alzado and probably Matuszak of the Raiders and everybody knows Steve Courson's story - you always hear Mike Webster's name too...but to think this is the reason why the Steelers dominated -- come on!!!

FLSteeler
11-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Roids have been in the NFL for years , and as far as the Steelers using Roids
in the seventies then you have to look at all teams in the NFL . For instance
Lyle Alzado for the Raiders who died from Roids from years of abuse.
Performance enhancing drugs are used today in the NFL they just have not
been banned yet. Every year the NFL instills new laws on performance drinks
and vitamins just look at Merriman for the Chargers or Romanoski for the
Raiders years ago with fellow players around the NFL. So if Roids was the
reason we won then everybody had a chance back then.

Sunday we will win against the saints, thats a FACT no if and or butts!!!!!

Its time to PUNISH every team we play !!! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:helmet:

PirateSteeler
11-10-2006, 06:47 PM
***NOT TRUE*** I have never heard this before

LMAO!!! just because you never heard this before means its not true?

skinart82
11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I know, but in my world....IT's NOT TRUE

MACH1
11-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm sure that the Steelers wasnt the only team in the whole entire nfl back then that used roids. Their only getting singled out because they won sb's.

SteelCityMan786
11-10-2006, 08:29 PM
It's all part of that love to hate the champs. The Steelers never took steriods. Neither has it been proven.

PisnNapalm
11-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I'll say one name. Lyle Alzado. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Steelers players used them back then. I'd be disappointed a bit though.

Alot of players did. It also wasn't against the rules then either.

Need4spd
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I want to preface what I'm about to say by making it known that my knowledge on this particular subject is somewhat limited as it pertains specifically to the Steelers. Also, I want to say in no uncertain terms that I am not in any way a proponent for steroid use. As I'm sure most of you are, I am ultimately against it. Having said that, I would like to make a few points here.

- My guess is that some (and we will never know how many) of the Steelers players from that era did use steroids. So is there any reason to think that the rest (an unknown %) of the players in the league did not use them? All I'm saying is that it's not like the Steelers had some chemist in their locker room cooking this stuff up and giving the players injections on their way to the weight room. If there were players from the Steelers using, it's pretty safe to assume that an equal percentage of players across the league from other teams were also.

- Steroids at that time WERE NOT illegal. I repeat, NOT ILLEGAL. I'm not at liberty at the moment to give any examples of this so call this argument baseless if you want, but I'm sure there were plenty of other things that were legal then that are not now, and vice versa.

- Finally, and this could potentially insight a riot of sorts, or at least a very hotly contested argument, but here we go anyways... Given what we know about steroids now and how prevalent the use of steroids has been in sports recently and in the past several decades, why have we not yet seen any player(s) even approach the most sacred or records from yesteryear, most notably of course being the home-run record in baseball? My point is this, Barry Bonds is not the first person by a long shot in baseball to use steroids. There have been a lot of players who have done so before him, and yet none of them have accomplished what he has. I work out a gym with plenty of guys just as strong and some who I'm sure are stronger than Barry Bonds, and I would be willing to bet that some of those guys couldn't hit my fastball out of the in-field in a major league park. Again, my point is simply that just based on the fact that an athlete uses a performance enhancing substance should not automatically be an indication that said athlete would be any more or less of a performer without the steroids. Obviously, we will never truly know. It would be nice if the "playing field" in sports were completely level, but the fact is that it never has been, it's not now, and despite the best efforts of the many who oppose the use of steroids, it is never going to be level.

silver & black
11-11-2006, 09:37 AM
I want to preface what I'm about to say by making it known that my knowledge on this particular subject is somewhat limited as it pertains specifically to the Steelers. Also, I want to say in no uncertain terms that I am not in any way a proponent for steroid use. As I'm sure most of you are, I am ultimately against it. Having said that, I would like to make a few points here.

- My guess is that some (and we will never know how many) of the Steelers players from that era did use steroids. So is there any reason to think that the rest (an unknown %) of the players in the league did not use them? All I'm saying is that it's not like the Steelers had some chemist in their locker room cooking this stuff up and giving the players injections on their way to the weight room. If there were players from the Steelers using, it's pretty safe to assume that an equal percentage of players across the league from other teams were also.

- Steroids at that time WERE NOT illegal. I repeat, NOT ILLEGAL. I'm not at liberty at the moment to give any examples of this so call this argument baseless if you want, but I'm sure there were plenty of other things that were legal then that are not now, and vice versa.

- Finally, and this could potentially insight a riot of sorts, or at least a very hotly contested argument, but here we go anyways... Given what we know about steroids now and how prevalent the use of steroids has been in sports recently and in the past several decades, why have we not yet seen any player(s) even approach the most sacred or records from yesteryear, most notably of course being the home-run record in baseball? My point is this, Barry Bonds is not the first person by a long shot in baseball to use steroids. There have been a lot of players who have done so before him, and yet none of them have accomplished what he has. I work out a gym with plenty of guys just as strong and some who are stronger I'm sure than Barry Bonds, and I would be willing bet that some of those guys couldn't hit my fastball out of the in-field in a major league park. Again, my point is simply that just based on the fact that an athlete uses a performance enhancing substance should not automatically be an indication that said athlete would be any more or less of a performer without the steroids. Obviously, we will never truly know. It would be nice if the "playing field" in sports were completely level, but the fact is that it never has been, it's not now, and despite the best efforts of the many who oppose the use of steroids, it is never going to be level.

Good post. I agree with what you say. I'm sure that steroid use has been around since at least the 70's, before that I don't have clue. They are still being used today and will continue to be used in the future... no matter what rules and penalties a sanctioning body imposes.

If any of you are cycling fans, as I am, you have heard of EPO. It isn't a steroid, but a performance enhancing drug, all the same. It enables the blood to carry a lot more oxygen than normal, giving the cyclist more endurance and the ability to shed lactic acid at a faster pace. I would bet that 95% or more of Professional cyclists use "blood doping"... there is no way they can compete without doing it.

I see all professional sports heading in this direction, with the demands being put on the athletes to perform and the huge amounts of money to be made, if they can rise to the top in their respective sport.

Infamix
11-11-2006, 09:46 AM
This is interesting...because my good friend who is an eagles fan claims as a joke that Willie Parker is on steroids because he is small and can break tackles.

silver & black
11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
This is interesting...because my good friend who is an eagles fan claims as a joke that Willie Parker is on steroids because he is small and can break tackles.

Charlie Garner was small and could break tackles too... He didn't use steroids. I doubt that Parker does either.

Infamix
11-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Charlie Garner was small and could break tackles too... He didn't use steroids. I doubt that Parker does either.

I know, my friend is just joking thoguh.

tony hipchest
11-11-2006, 11:06 AM
i think martin gramattica and warren sapp juiced. thats why the bucs won a sb :chuckle:

silver & black
11-11-2006, 11:15 AM
i think martin gramattica and warren sapp juiced. thats why the bucs won a sb :chuckle:

Thanks for bringing that up!:banging:...:sofunny:

tony hipchest
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for bringing that up!:banging:...:sofunny:

lol. my bad dude. that was more of an indictment of martin than the raiders. and warren sapp is so fat the whales swim around with bumper stickers that say "save the warren"

Steelers
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
If they did use steroids, it was within the rules back then and if you think that Pittsburgh was the only team that used them, you're kidding yourself.

ncoolong
11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
If they did use steroids, it was within the rules back then and if you think that Pittsburgh was the only team that used them, you're kidding yourself.

Exactly right. They did nothing against the rules, and that's assuming it's even true. We have no proof, and never will have any proof, so it really just comes down to allegations made by Steelers Haters and defenses by Steelers fans. It'll never change anything.

Don't tell me for a second Al Davis did not turn his back on - if not fully support - players using. C'mon, we're talking about the 70s! Teachers smoked pot with their students, and I don't just mean Animal House. We can't use moral standards from today on past generations as a form of judgement.

Need4spd
11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
We can't use moral standards from today on past generations as a form of judgement.

Nicely put.

Infamix
11-12-2006, 08:42 AM
agreed ^