PDA

View Full Version : Ward and Washington to be fined...again?

Livinginthe past
11-11-2006, 06:43 AM
WARD, WASHINGTON TO GET WHACKED BY LEAGUE, AGAIN?

Earlier on Friday (scroll down for the story), we noted that Steelers receiver Nate Washington received a refund from teammate Hines Ward for a fine imposed by the league after Washington and Ward performed a disturbing post-touchdown dance during the Steelers' Week Seven game against the Falcons.

Washington told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Ward paid the $5,000 to Washington after the fine had been deducted from Washington's game check.

But the NFL requires that fines be paid by the player against whom they are imposed. We asked NFL spokesman Greg Aiello if this situation fell within the scope of the league's prohibition, and Aiello informed us that it does.

"This is a no-no that will be reviewed for potential discipline," Aiello told us.

Stay tuned.

I read about this a couple of days back and meant to post something on it - why didnt Ward just pay the fine for Washington (totally the correct action - Washington was basically blameless) and tell Washington to keep his yap shut?

Why did it become public information that they had done this?

Now it just looks like the two of them are trying to circumvent the authority of the NFL and then rub their noses in it.

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-11-2006, 07:03 AM
The league office needs to get over itself.

Unless Ward, Washington, and Holmes planned the group celebration in advance, fining Washington seemed idiotic in the first place (Ward and Holmes should have been fined).

If the league fines both of them again, Hines can just give Washington an "early birthday present" to cover the fine.

PisnNapalm
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Personally I'm sick of all the touchdown dances and crap. Just spike the ball with authority and get on with the game.

If I see another Steeler dance this season I think I'll throwup. They've got no business celebrating anything yet.

klick81
11-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Personally I'm sick of all the touchdown dances and crap. Just spike the ball with authority and get on with the game.

If I see another Steeler dance this season I think I'll throwup. They've got no business celebrating anything yet.

Agreed, but this is just ridiculous. I'm sick and tired of the NFL. I only wish the players and fans had more power.

stillers4me
11-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Good grief.

ncoolong
11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I think Ward and Washington should roll up a check for $0.00 and write "Go F*ck Yourself" in the message line, and deliver it via snail mail to Roger Goddell and Greg Aiello. I can't imagine any scenario how the NFL plans to defend doubling a fine based on Ward's decision to spend his own money to make things up with Nate Washington.

Outside of the fact I find it completely ridiculous that a stupid dance would draw a 15-yard penalty AND a fine (just the penalty is appropriate)...

Washington never saw the money. It was taken out of his game check. So essentially - and physically - he paid the fine. That's where the NFL's involvement in the situation ends. If Ward wants to give Nate Washington $5,000 for any reason not involving sex, drugs, gambling or any other illegal activity, the NFL has no authority whatsoever to enforce anything at all based on the principle and reason of Ward's personal payment to Washington.

Sorry, didn't mean to go lawyer on you...

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
The NFL Just loves to hate us.

BigDuke6
11-11-2006, 12:36 PM
The NFL is out of control on this one. I agree with the penalty for EXCESSIVE celebrating but this goes too far. Whats next ? Are they going to decree that Hines becomes Washington's butler ????

Lambertfan
11-11-2006, 09:12 PM
That is one UGLY *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BengalBrian
11-11-2006, 09:28 PM
The NFL suits are a ****in joke..

Ridiculous!!!!

Welcome to the Nazi Football League

tony hipchest
11-11-2006, 09:34 PM
The NFL suits are a ****in joke..

Ridiculous!!!!

Welcome to the Nazi Football League

yeah, chad johnson and t.o. screwed up a good thing for everbody. it only intensifies the problem when they mock the nfl and its rules by telling their teaM mates they will pay any fine, or pretend to fall asleep on the football in the endzone, knowing it will draw a flag.

Preacher
11-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally, the rule against paying someone elses fine came (according to my memory) when teams were telling players to go out and hit people... and screw the fines, the team would pay it.

I have no problem with that rule. However, intelligence has to be used as well. Ward makes how much? Nate makes how much? It is a veteran leadership thing to do. I bet ya Ward will pay this one too, and then tell Washington to shut up about it.

SteelersWoman
11-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Washington never saw the money. It was taken out of his game check. So essentially - and physically - he paid the fine. That's where the NFL's involvement in the situation ends....

Exactly. Nate paid the fine out of his check, it's none of the NFL's business what Hines decides to do with his own money.

Washington never should've been fined in the first place. He's the one that made the TD, and it's not his fault Hines joined in.

Love ya Hines, but ya did the wrong thing--and you knew better. At least you're tryin to make it right by Nate...:thumbsup:

Livinginthe past
11-12-2006, 05:40 AM
I would have thought more Steeler fans would have shared the opinion of Pisnnapalm - all this talk of tradition (as regards cheerleaders) is totally inconsistent with that horrible, effeminate egotistical dancing.

The isnt much I hate worse than seeing a guy on the losing team celebrate a TD like its the only thing that matters.

NM

melroseplace
11-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree with some of the other opinions stating that it's not the NFL's business if Hines wants to compensate Nate. however I also agree that the TD celebrations are getting to be excessive. I can understand certain crucial plays where a player would want to celebrate, or maybe if it's his first TD, but in general I think they should focus on what's next in the game..

X-Terminator
11-12-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't mind the TD dances so long as it isn't excessive - what's wrong with a little celebration? The things that T.O., CJ and Steve Smith did are where I draw the line, and I like that the NFL is cracking down on that kind of stuff. Football is supposed to be intense, yes, but it's supposed to be fun too.

That said, the NFL needs to pull their collective undies out of their asses - there is nothing wrong with Hines paying Washington that money. The league already got their money, so what's the problem?

STEELERSTAR
11-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Screw the No Fun League... :blah: and idiotic moron, Roger Goodell!!! If it was not a vote by Dan Rooney, then he would never be a commissioner. :blah: Did Roger :blah: ever thank to Dan for the vote??? :nw: