PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on Sunday Conversation

BB2W
07-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I just saw Ben on ESPN's Sunday Coversation.....what a professional. What owner or Front Office wouldn't be proud to have him representing your team. He always says the right things and seemed very humble. I hear a lot of people talk like he is cocky and arrogant. I think their has to be a certain degree of confidence and a strong presense for most NFL QB's and any good leader, and Ben has that.....but he always says the right things and will be the first to give all the credit to his teammates. I am glad he is a Steeler. Nice pick Cowhaa!

She asked him about his success his rookie year and he said he was so blessed to be on this team. A team with a great "D", a strong running game, and great veteran leadership like Hines, Bettis, Faneca. They talked about him getting thrown in the fire in week 2, and she asked if their was a turning point where things started to come together. He said after the Cowboys game things started to open up, and teammates started rallying around him. He said he was just steering the ship......it was already moving, he just told it where to go. He said the AFCCG was the low point, and a shot back down to reallity. He acknowleged that after a season like that, the fans expect a Superbowl.

Livinginthe past
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Its great to have a young QB who has shown so many good things in his rookie season. I just wonder how long he has got before he will be branded a failure for not winning a SB.
After going 15-1 last year - a step backwards in the regular season is almost inevitable.
Just out of interest - how many years would you give Ben and the rest of the this Steelers unit to win a SB?

A step back in the progress of the team is frustrating for fans - but there is not a great deal of scope for the Steelers to improve this year and the next...short of appearing in and winning a SB.

ITS ALMOST SHOW-TIME!

NM

Prosdo
07-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Ben has been a classy guy since he came on the scene with the Steelers. He is right we are expecting a Super Bowl after coming so close. I would love for it to be this year. This may be Bettis's last year and the Super Bowl is in his hometown. There would be no better way to send Jerome out than that.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Ben isn't "cocky" or "arrogant".He's a real class act,just like he was in Miami (Oh).Fans of other teams are just jealous.

ironcitychef
07-25-2005, 04:51 PM
I just wonder how long he has got before he will be branded a failure for not winning a SB. Just out of interest - how many years would you give Ben and the rest of the this Steelers unit to win a SB?
NM

To the first, only 19 more games, then he can be labeled Super Bowl MVP! :cool:
To the second, not sure if I understand the whole thing. As a fan, I expect my team to win the Super Bowl every year. As a team, I'd say they are on average one that runs 5-6 good years then 2 years on the downside(based on past results). So I'd say Ben has about 3 years left with this roster(mind you it could change based on roster changes). Then the math kicks in saying Ben might only play for 10-12 more years(if all good) so thats only two more great runs(5-6 yrs) in his career. So I guess I'd say Ben will have about 2-3 really great opportunities(you'd pick them as favorites) to get a SB. Either way I'd still back them Super Bowl or not.

Livinginthe past
07-26-2005, 01:46 AM
To the first, only 19 more games, then he can be labeled Super Bowl MVP! :cool:
To the second, not sure if I understand the whole thing. As a fan, I expect my team to win the Super Bowl every year. As a team, I'd say they are on average one that runs 5-6 good years then 2 years on the downside(based on past results). So I'd say Ben has about 3 years left with this roster(mind you it could change based on roster changes). Then the math kicks in saying Ben might only play for 10-12 more years(if all good) so thats only two more great runs(5-6 yrs) in his career. So I guess I'd say Ben will have about 2-3 really great opportunities(you'd pick them as favorites) to get a SB. Either way I'd still back them Super Bowl or not.

I was just thinking that expectations can be a bad thing sometimes. There are certain teams who expect year in year out to make the playoffs at a minimum (these days I am thinking Colts, Steelers, Eagles) and others who under-achieve just about every year in recent history (Cardinals, Bengals,Detroit).
If Ben was at the Cardinals then he would have alot less pressure, but then again, he would have a much weaker supporting cast.
It was just something I was pondering - because even when Tom Brady joined the Pats we were still a pretty hopeless franchise. Ben is under more pressure to succeed early - funnily enough, even more so because of his excellent first year.

BTW - your cycle of success that you mention would be the envy of just about every NFL team in the league if it is accurate.

I CAN ALMOST SMELL THE PRE-SEASON!

NM

Livinginthe past
07-26-2005, 01:48 AM
Ben isn't "cocky" or "arrogant".He's a real class act,just like he was in Miami (Oh).Fans of other teams are just jealous.

Im sure you all know better than to listen to the people who throw out such ridiculous and pointless accusations. People who accuse a QB of another team of being 'arrogant' will often have very little positive going for their own side.

PRE-SEASON IS IN THE AIR!

NM

Prosdo
07-26-2005, 01:57 AM
I think in a way it does make it harder. Pittsburgh is a huge football town and after being so close we can almost taste the Super Bowl. I think there is also some added pressure because a lot of people want to see Jerome Bettis get his Super Bowl ring this year with this being maybe his last year. I think Ben will handle it well though.

Avoid LLoyd1975
07-27-2005, 03:33 PM
I am guilty of thinking he was getting to big for his britches at times. But he has once again proven the rumor wrong. I expect great things out of this kid.

Games aren't won on game day. They are won during the preparation...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2005, 11:32 PM
How can you not be estatic to come into the league, drafted early in the first round, making a ton of money, having all that success in your rookie year, and bringing back most of the same team next year and the same coaching staff.

He is very fortunate and he seems to stay pretty grounded too.

Prosdo
07-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I think it is one of the best things about him. He has been able to stay humble. If he keeps that up it will be all good.

ironcitychef
07-28-2005, 09:56 AM
BTW - your cycle of success that you mention would be the envy of just about every NFL team in the league if it is accurate.

I CAN ALMOST SMELL THE PRE-SEASON!

NM

Well we think so as a team overall. We don't believe in those 5 year rebuilding periods of other teams. If you mean QB, then yeah, I kinda went on the top side looking at QB's like Bradshaw, Montanna, Elway. They played good length of time and only got like a handful of great opportunities. Makes me think to ask you if Brady after his three and this year, would you see him with the natural cycles of teams getting more shots in the future? Basically the legend QB only have around 2-4 SB wins. Brady could get that this year, then factor in age and cycles, toward the end he could add a few more to really separte himself. I guess I want to know if you would expect it?

Livinginthe past
07-28-2005, 11:45 AM
The thing is as of the recent years I feel spoilt as a Patriots fan.
There have been plenty of decent organisations over the last few years who have come up just short of a SB win.
I feel that the way BB and SP have approached the salary cap era is without question the method that should be taken as a template for every other team.
We are going to lose some of our very best players - Seymour, Woody etc....but the key is to keep a constant depth at every position....much like the Steelers have done.
So do i expect another win in the next 5 years? No not really - do I expect us to compete each year?....YOU BETCHA!

The thing is , this opinion is held with the backdrop of 3 SB's in 4 years......its not so easy to be patient if you havent won the big prize for a few years.

NM

BB2W
07-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Another thing to consider when looking at Big Ben's confident personality is he was "THE MAN" at Miami (OH). He was like a God there, I am sure more than your average University. I work with two guys that go there, and they said he was like a celebrity. Imagine such a big talant like him at lil Miami of Ohio. If anyone thinks it has gone to his head.....I am sure it could be much worse.

I think it is funny how a lot of Bengals fans hate Ben and critisize him for being cocky. At the same time, they love Chad Johnson the biggest showboating jerk in professional sports history. They bash Ben for simply believing in himself, but they cheer while Chad uses props to draw attention to himself after scoring a TD.

bigbensgirl7
07-28-2005, 06:05 PM
I think it is funny how a lot of Bengals fans hate Ben and critisize him for being cocky. At the same time, they love Chad Johnson the biggest showboating jerk in professional sports history. They bash Ben for simply believing in himself, but they cheer while Chad uses props to draw attention to himself after scoring a TD.
Not to mention...if Ben was a Bengal they would love him.