PDA

View Full Version : "Fast" Willie Parker Not Fastest in the NFL

steelcurtain09
11-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Twice during today's game Parker broke long runs that as soon as he reached the flank of NO's d-line I immediately turned to my father and said, "TD hes gone." Twice, Willie ran out of steam before reaching the endzone and was tacled from behind. Now both these plays are sweet for anyone Steelers, but it is kind of disturbing that there are so many people in the league that can catch him this year. If I had said the exact same thing when Parker broke one last year I would have been correct. It seems that "Fast" Willie has lost a step or two because he has bulked up some.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he caught because it was near the end of the game? Or is he really not that fast?

BTW that was a great game.

stillers4me
11-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Twice during today's game Parker broke long runs that as soon as he reached the flank of NO's d-line I immediately turned to my father and said, "TD hes gone." Twice, Willie ran out of steam before reaching the endzone and was tacled from behind. Now both these plays are sweet for anyone Steelers, but it is kind of disturbing that there are so many people in the league that can catch him this year. If I had said the exact same thing when Parker broke one last year I would have been correct. It seems that "Fast" Willie has lost a step or two because he has bulked up some.

What are your thoughts on this? Was he caught because it was near the end of the game? Or is he really not that fast?

WHO CARES!!!!!!!
Those plays were game makers............without Willie today we were sunk!
:dang:

Mosca
11-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Both defenders had the angle... but if you look at the replay of the first one, the tackler actually came up short; Parker's heel came up and hit the guy in the face, and Parker stumbled.

Also, remember Parker was holding a football and couldn't get both arms into it.

The guy is at full speed in about 2 steps. I think he's fast as hell. IMO he's a MUCH better back this year. He's one of the top half dozen in the league right now.

Tom

Livinginthe past
11-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I would imagine its easier to run faster without a football than it is while carrying one.

You would lose the 'arm-swing' dynamic from your running style in flatout sprint races.

Maybe Willie has bulked up more this year, all I know is he is a guy that doesnt go down behind the line on first contact very much.

I seen him get hit quite a few times today for a potential 2/3 yard loss but he turned it into a 3/4 yard gain - those things are lost in a statistical analysis.

NM

t-sizzlez
11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
who cares all that matters is he had the speed to make the play happen in the first place. idk bout u but ill take 70+ yd runes all day even if they dont score. besides he got it in eventully anyways

touchdownward
11-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm just glad to see Willie HAVE to be tackled from behind. Lots of ankle tackles today by the saints.

Indy_Steelers
11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I hope all the Willie Parker haters will now go away!!!!!
He got the long run and the tough short yards today and he had a couple of great catches.

BlacknGold76
11-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Willie P's two 70 yard runs (72 and 76), wow what a day for Willie. 213 yards on 22 carries. And we won, especially with nada, zero, zilch turnovers.:sign01: :checkit:

MJ5150
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM

It doesn't bother me. I do not remember Willie Parker being advertised as the fastest player in the NFL. What I do know, is that he is a heck of a lot faster than any of us posting on this board. For that reaosn, he will always be "Fast" Willie Parker to me.

I was more impressed with him grinding out the last three or four yards on those tough runs. He had this Bettis look to him a few times today.

-Mike

stillers4me
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Willie P's two 70 yard runs (72 and 76), wow what a day for Willie. 213 yards on 22 carries. And we won, especially with nada, zero, zilch turnovers.:sign01: :checkit:

Ain't it a beautiful thing to behold! :cheers:

Infamix
11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Of course Willie Parker is fast, and he is called "Fast" Willie Parker because Pittsburgh hasn't seen a runningback like him. We usually get the circular ones

jaysta
11-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I was bummed to see him get caught from behind too, but they gave him the ball to punch it in both times. So all was good! It's a great boost to any RB to run a TD in after getting their team down near the goal line. The extra muscle probably did slow him down slightly, but he needs it to carry the team this year.

Steelers
11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Him running .001% slower in exchange for not fumbling is a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

shevdog
11-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I enjoyed every second of those big plays today! The game ball goes to Willie!

MattsMe
11-12-2006, 10:25 PM
There's a difference between being fast and being quick. He should be called Quick Willie Parker, but that just doesn't sound as good. Either way, it's like people have already said; he punched it in both times, and the extra muscle is more valuable than just pure speed.

MJ5150
11-12-2006, 10:27 PM
I enjoyed every second of those big plays today! The game ball goes to Willie!

No joke. My buddy and I were jumping up an down in his living room. I was screaming "turn on those jets Willie". We were high fiving and carrying on like little kids. Man it felt SOOOOOO good to see that, so good.

-Mike

BlacknGold76
11-12-2006, 11:01 PM
[/COLOR]

Ditto!!!!!!!!:cheers:

SteelCzar76
11-12-2006, 11:40 PM
There's a difference between being fast and being quick. He should be called Quick Willie Parker, but that just doesn't sound as good. Either way, it's like people have already said; he punched it in both times, and the extra muscle is more valuable than just pure speed.

Exactly. Willie has put on a few pounds in attempt to gain more "punch" between the tackles this season. But this is a good look.
Not to mention he did burn a considerable amount of "gas" to even get the seperation outside on both plays. What i'm most impressed with though,....is the fire and confidence of the kid.
He plays like he believes he's one of the best,....like he believes that we should not lose.
People often underestimate the power of sheer WILL.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

floodcitygirl
11-12-2006, 11:46 PM
He plays like he believes he's one of the best,....like he believes that we should not lose.
People often underestimate the power of sheer WILL.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"Did you see his face as he was pumping it down that field? That was the will to win! What a thing of beauty!

X-Terminator
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
He didn't really get caught, per se - on both occasions it took diving ankle tackles to bring him down. IMO, "catching him from behind" would be a defender being able to get his arms around him and wrap him up, which did not happen in either case. Besides, as others have said, he ended up getting the TD anyway, so it all worked out :smile:

melroseplace
11-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm not concerned with Willie's speed or playing at all. perhaps he has slowed down a little bit from last season but that's only reflecting the change our running back situation has undergone...he's impressed me by being able to pound through multiple defenders and making every yard count. his plays today were exciting and he scored numerous times so I see no need to worry!

Hines0wnz
11-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Let's stop overanalyzing everything especially this topic. Most of this year there have been people complaining of Willie "not being the back for this offense" etc. Now he has a great game and leads the Steelers to a win yet "maybe he has lost a step." Who cares fellow Steeler fans, we got a W! I dont care if he lost 6 steps, he is still faster than most that pursue him in the open field and....HE SCORED 2 TOUCHDOWNS! :tt02:

Let us be happy he was on our team today and savor the win instead of trying to pick it apart. We know this teams kicks ass when it doesnt turn the ball over. Instead of worrying about nitpicky inconsequential items lets hope this gets the team rolling! :wink02:

OneForTheToe
11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I'll trade getting caught on a 70 yard run (unless it's by a D-lineman) over getting thrown for 2 or 3 yard losses all the day long. Willie has been running powerful all year.

steelcurtain09
11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
im happy wit him

i new i should have posted "lol" in the title

Eztarget
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
If he pulked up a little bit then so be it. This is a brutal league and being small and quick is nice but giving up some of that speed to last more years ... I'll take the trade off to prolong his career which only looks like it's going to be a great one.

One thing I do notice a lot of guys in both the NFL and College football is that when they're being chased from behind NONE of today's guys juke as the players are closing from behind. I was watching the Rutgers/Louisville game Thursday night and the Rutgers kid who broke that long pass could have score if he just juked in the last few yards.

klick81
11-13-2006, 01:15 AM
[/COLOR]

It's about time!!!

Preacher
11-13-2006, 03:30 AM
it is great to see the W...

I will wait to comment on our D for a few days and just bask in the glow of victory.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-13-2006, 04:38 AM
I think you touched on something when you made a comparison to the SB run...it was at the beginning of the third quarter and he was rested....What he did on both those runs last night was the equavalent of a hundred yard dash after running several windsprints...of course he is going to look slower in comparison.

ARKIESTEEL
11-13-2006, 07:03 AM
I am not sure about this but could someone who is real fast in the 40 not be real fast in the 100? I would think DB would be fast in the longer distance and a RB be fast in the first 10 to 40 yards?

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-13-2006, 07:07 AM
I am not sure about this but could someone who is real fast in the 40 not be real fast in the 100? I would think DB would be fast in the longer distance and a RB be fast in the first 10 to 40 yards?

Great point...40 time does NOT always project the best 100 time

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 07:20 AM
I really dont understand what type of back can just run for automatic first down after first down.

If such a RB exists then he isnt playing football right now, or else the team that owned him would win every week.

I seen alot of great stuff from Willie yesterday - and alot of it took place during the 10 runs for 26 yards 1st half - he could have been hit for a loss numerous times yesterday but he fought to get back to the LOS and just beyond.

Im pretty sure even Bettis didnt run for a 1st down every time he carried the ball.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-13-2006, 07:38 AM
I really dont understand what type of back can just run for automatic first down after first down.

If such a RB exists then he isnt playing football right now, or else the team that owned him would win every week.

I seen alot of great stuff from Willie yesterday - and alot of it took place during the 10 runs for 26 yards 1st half - he could have been hit for a loss numerous times yesterday but he fought to get back to the LOS and just beyond.

Im pretty sure even Bettis didnt run for a 1st down every time he carried the ball.

NM

I personally only see our ground game getting better...Willie has the potential to break one long on every hand off..and consistantly has the defense sucking wind....Davenport is a bull and gains north south yardage when needed..and if the defense is tired, the last thing they want is a back his size running right up the gut.

ARKIESTEEL
11-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Did I see Khun (SP) on the sideline?

bradness113
11-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Parker is super fast

the guy unfortunately had the right angle

omawho
11-13-2006, 09:18 AM
You have to remember, the D/B had the angle on Willie both runs. And Willie STILL almost out ran them. He is very fast and the type of back the Steelers have never had. We have always been a tough, hard running type of team that runs between the tackles. Wille is able to give out team both of those qualities.. I would venture to say that if you put either of those D/B's up against Willie on a straight course, Willie burns them both... JMO...

Infamix
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm very glad that we got a W and happy for fast Willie that he had a chance to shine. I still maintain that he's the wrong type of back for our offense tho'. That's not a dig at him. He has fantastic athleticism and a good nose for finding the hole, but he's not a drive sustaining power runner.

The difference: Parker is a threat to break a run for a huge gain, so his presence forces the defense to honor it and spend more time plugging holes and less time covering WRs.
The type of back we need is one that can run over and through defenses, creating first downs even though they know he's coming. That's how you maintain leads, control the ball, and avoid turnovers.

If we are to use him effectively, he's gonna need more blocking.

You are simply being stubborn and do not want to admit that you are wrong. I agree with LITP...what other RB gets a 1st down every run? Willie Parker has proved time and time again that he can find the hole, break tackles, and even break the long run. He has even proven himself as a reciever...what more do you want?

skidboot
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM
He's quicker than a hiccup and gets to top speed in a flash.

No turnovers = Victory......who woulda thought?

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2006, 10:13 AM
The kid rushes for 213 yards and two 4th quarter TD's and yet some are not content or "sold". Unbelievable.

Let's not forget how great that o-line has looked all season. Inconsistent to say the least.

ARKIESTEEL
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
The kid rushes for 213 yards and two 4th quarter TD's and yet some are not content or "sold". Unbelievable.

Let's not forget how great that o-line has looked all season. Inconsistent to say the least.

I with you on this I think he was pushing the pile around some sunday....he looked good I think he is now and will be in the future a very good RB

tony hipchest
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Did I see Khun (SP) on the sideline?:sofunny: so thaaaaats why we finally won!

X-Terminator
11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm very glad that we got a W and happy for fast Willie that he had a chance to shine. I still maintain that he's the wrong type of back for our offense tho'. That's not a dig at him. He has fantastic athleticism and a good nose for finding the hole, but he's not a drive sustaining power runner.

The difference: Parker is a threat to break a run for a huge gain, so his presence forces the defense to honor it and spend more time plugging holes and less time covering WRs.
The type of back we need is one that can run over and through defenses, creating first downs even though they know he's coming. That's how you maintain leads, control the ball, and avoid turnovers.

If we are to use him effectively, he's gonna need more blocking.

After his performance yesterday, Willie is now 4th in the NFL in rushing with 847 yards. He's on pace to blow away his 1,202 rushing yards from last season and has already doubled his rush TD output from last season (8, compared with 4 last season). He's also already caught more passes than he did last season and has 2 receiving TDs.

Sources:

http://www.nfl.com/stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494527

I honestly don't know what else he has to do to show that he can get the job done.

83-Steelers-43
11-13-2006, 10:23 AM
After his performance yesterday, Willie is now 4th in the NFL in rushing with 847 yards. He's on pace to blow away his 1,202 rushing yards from last season and has already doubled his rush TD output from last season (8, compared with 4 last season). With those stats, I'd say he's getting the job done. He's also already caught more passes than he did last season and has 2 receiving TDs.

Sources:

http://www.nfl.com/stats

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494527

I honestly don't know what else he has to do to show that he can get the job done.

He's no John Kuhn, I'll tell ya that much. :wink02:

tony hipchest
11-13-2006, 10:35 AM

NMglad to see you come around on the kid. in the past, some people would just look at his statline 10/26 in the 1st half and assume he sucked.

theres a clip in the sb dvd of willie busting off a long run last year and asking cowher for a play off, to catch his breath. good to see him bust those off now and go right back in to punch it into the endzone.

while i know we wont see another barry sanders or LT for another 20 years i have always compared willies size, stature, and ability to be an every down back like them (and tiki too). while i dont expect him to put up the career or even season stats they did, he has always shown flashes to be able to have games comparable to what they have done.

to have the superbowl record for longest td run and to be the 1st back in 9 years to have 2 70 yd runs in a game is impressive. that the last person to do it was sanders is fitting.

i still cant balieve the steelerfans who dont recognize that he is something special. the same fans who think jerome bettis was a dime a dozen and we can just go out and pluck the 5th leading rusher of all time off the street. bettis was special too. but we wont find bettis jr to replace willie. its just not gonna happen...nor should it.

"andale andale, arriba arriba, senior willie!!!"

STEELCRTN4EVER
11-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Willie ran great, they simply had the angle on him. I am glad he is in there and he is FAST WILLIE PARKER!

Infamix
11-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Speaking of Willie Parker losing a step of speed, I smell bullshit.

Last season against the Titans, he had a similiar long run off of a screen pass and got caught near the 4 yard line...

He is stronger, faster, and smarter than ever...he's the truth.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-13-2006, 11:25 AM

If your point is that Willie Parker without breakaway blistering speed is not the same RB then I concur. This falls under "planning for the future" category.

For now :cheers: . Hey! We still scored and won. And the Saints have just a 'little' speed on defense.

Infamix
11-13-2006, 11:38 AM
If your point is that Willie Parker without breakaway blistering speed is not the same RB then I concur. This falls under "planning for the future" category.

For now :cheers: . Hey! We still scored and won. And the Saints have just a 'little' speed on defense.

The Saints actually have very slow linebackers to NFL standards, but Willie is def not any slower than last year. He had a ball in his hand, and the DB barely tripped him up with no ball....end of discussion.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
The Saints actually have very slow linebackers to NFL standards, but Willie is def not any slower than last year. He had a ball in his hand, and the DB barely tripped him up with no ball....end of discussion.

That's what I meant. Never said "team defense". Said "little" speed i.e. the DB.

SteelerFanInCA
11-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Doesn't matter if he's not the fatest in the NFL because he was definitley fast enough yesterday. The guy can still run. End of conversation.

klick81
11-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Closed.

jk. :D

paw-n-maul-u
11-13-2006, 02:07 PM
while the saints arent exactly a powerhouse defense, esp. against the run, it was still pretty impressive. Going back to the original post, im pretty much in agreement with the rest about having to carry a ball with him while running. if it was a DT that ran him down, I'd be a little concerned. (like davenpooper two weeks ago). I still think we need to get another back early in the draft to take off some of the pressure

Infamix
11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
while the saints arent exactly a powerhouse defense, esp. against the run, it was still pretty impressive. Going back to the original post, im pretty much in agreement with the rest about having to carry a ball with him while running. if it was a DT that ran him down, I'd be a little concerned. (like davenpooper two weeks ago). I still think we need to get another back early in the draft to take off some of the pressure

We need good lineman

sumo
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Both defenders had the angle... but if you look at the replay of the first one, the tackler actually came up short; Parker's heel came up and hit the guy in the face, and Parker stumbled.

Also, remember Parker was holding a football and couldn't get both arms into it.

The guy is at full speed in about 2 steps. I think he's fast as hell. IMO he's a MUCH better back this year. He's one of the top half dozen in the league right now.

Tom

I agree - I used to be one of the Willie skeptics here at SF - I cannot belive how much better he is this year compared to last..last year he seemed to always go down on the first hit - but he would still break long runs here and there -- now the guy has a pretty rare combo of speed and power - I would say he is easily one of the top 5 backs in the league ...

Steelersfan4life0655
11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Angles, no matter how fast you are, if you have a good angle, theres a good chance you can catch anyone.

Preacher
11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I respectfully submit this to all Steeler fans:

I know we loved the old fashioned smash-mouth football. Play hard, get up by two touchdowns, then run it down thier throat and shut down the game. However, teams that win the Superbowl do not win by that method. it is good to win games, but the best teams have explosive players in teh pass and run.

That is why I am cringe to see people posting about going and getting a big back in the draft and going back to playing "Three yards and a cloud of dust" football.

If we want to continue to win Superbowls, we need to keep people like Willie and Ben who can break games open with one or two plays.

And no, Willie has not lost a step. As the last post-er said.. ANGLES.. ANGLES ANGLES ANGLES.

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
I respectfully submit this to all Steeler fans:

I know we loved the old fashioned smash-mouth football. Play hard, get up by two touchdowns, then run it down thier throat and shut down the game. However, teams that win the Superbowl do not win by that method. it is good to win games, but the best teams have explosive players in teh pass and run.

That is why I am cringe to see people posting about going and getting a big back in the draft and going back to playing "Three yards and a cloud of dust" football.

If we want to continue to win Superbowls, we need to keep people like Willie and Ben who can break games open with one or two plays.

And no, Willie has not lost a step. As the last post-er said.. ANGLES.. ANGLES ANGLES ANGLES.

Im with you on that score (as an interested observer, not a Steeler fan obviously :wink02:) - I thought this team would have to evolve around its playing staff - you dont just draft guys like Humes in the 7th round and automatically have him be the next Bettis.

The smashmouth style football can still be succesful but you really need an awesome, consistent O-Line and a real tough RB who wont break down despite being battered all game.

The O-Line and the WR corps would be the areas most in need of attention this offseason - Ben could do with a little help in both these respects.

NM

sumo
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Im with you on that score (as an interested observer, not a Steeler fan obviously :wink02:) - I thought this team would have to evolve around its playing staff - you dont just draft guys like Humes in the 7th round and automatically have him be the next Bettis.

The smashmouth style football can still be succesful but you really need an awesome, consistent O-Line and a real tough RB who wont break down despite being battered all game.

The O-Line and the WR corps would be the areas most in need of attention this offseason - Ben could do with a little help in both these respects.

NM

Bettis is a once in a lifetime find - you just don't see quick feet like that on big backs - most big backs are straight ahead bruisers ...IMHO, we don't need that - and we won't find another Bettis either -- Willie is great and I like what he brings -his combination of speed and power is rare - everybody should be especially pleased with his work ethic in adding some power to his game this season - we are lucky to have him - quit looking for Bettis - unless you want some very average broadcasting entertainment from NBC...

24seven
11-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Parker might not be the fastest but he's deffinitely one of the quickest.. His speed burts and cuts are what makes him fast willie to me.. Not alot of players have the ability to make a read and cut to that read and instantly blaze into overdrive within seconds.. Good game Parker.. you keep proving yourself every weekend..!

Dynasty
11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
For a great effort by Willie, I applaud him. However, I think the coaching staff should have shown him a little more respect and at the end of the game, let him run a few more times so he could set the team record. He definately deserved it!

jaysta
11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
For a great effort by Willie, I applaud him. However, I think the coaching staff should have shown him a little more respect and at the end of the game, let him run a few more times so he could set the team record. He definately deserved it!

...but if he got hurt on one of those plays then everyone would be calling for the coach to retire...or leave....or both. It would have been nice to see him break the record, but IMHO I'd rather see him save it for next week. They let him score after he broke those long runs, so for that fact I think they showed him respect.

ytsan2q
11-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Willie was clocked at 4.3 in the 40. There's a big difference between the 40 and maintaining that speed for the length field.

Preacher
11-14-2006, 04:22 AM
...but if he got hurt on one of those plays then everyone would be calling for the coach to retire...or leave....or both. It would have been nice to see him break the record, but IMHO I'd rather see him save it for next week. They let him score after he broke those long runs, so for that fact I think they showed him respect.

I agree. On top of that, we still are (Mathematically) in the playoff hunt. So we HAVE to think ahead. Now, if the season was over, I say let him go for as many yards as he can get.

SteelersWoman
11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Angles, no matter how fast you are, if you have a good angle, theres a good chance you can catch anyone.

You're right--it's all about angles.

I agree with Mosca too-- carrying a ball tucked away for safety also takes away speed. When you can't pump with both arms, you have to give up something.

I have liked Willie since we got him. I consider him our "Reggie Bush" :jammin:

Buzz05
11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Ill be the first to admit that before the season I had my doubts about Willie. I was one of the people pushing for a TJ Duckett trade. After the last few weeks I think we have really seen this kid grow up. He has stepped it up not only on the field but in the huddle as another leader. Think about it, he stepped up and he called out other players to step up there games. How many third year undrafted free agents have you heard doing something like that. he isnt afraid to be a leader on a team that I personally feel needs some right now. Ben, Hines, Joey cant do it alone. As far as his runs go...wow. I am not upset or disturbed by him getting caught from behind. As it was stated before it was all in the angles. If you have the proper angle you can catch anybody. Personally I think we not only saw the boys pull out a win against a quality team Sunday (These arent my daddy's Saints anymore) but we saw some of the younger guys really grow up. Willie emerged as a leader last week. Ben is trusting his recievers and the young secondary got some reps. Its better they take a few lumps now and get experience because you never know when they will be the starter. So lets get it up for our boys, stop looking at negatives. WE WON! We have the Cleveland Steamers, I mean Brownies this week. LETS GET IT UP!

ROYND1
11-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I agree with what a few other people said-1. He was probably a little tired and ran out of gas,he had alot of carries before that.2. The DB had the angle and still barely got him,he actually pulled away from the Db that was right behind him.Hell I'm 235 lbs. and I still can catch some of the fast guys in my flag football league with the right angle.3. I'd put him in a race with anyone in the league side by side with no ball in his hand.I'd even bet he's one of the top 10 fastest guys in the league and other then maybe Michael Bennett he's probably the fastest running back in the league.

paw-n-maul-u
11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
I still want michael bush in the draft ...

... dookie just isnt the answer ... get each of them (parker and bush) 15 or so carries a game, or whoever has the hotter hand. It's been clear in the past that parker sometimes can't get the tough yards vs. some of the better run defenses in the NFL. Just this year: San Diego, Jacksonville, ATL ... numerous games last year as well, although he has shown enormous amounts of improvement.

ChronoCross
11-15-2006, 12:31 AM
They had angle cuts into him. Plus the DB's that caught him by a shoe string were already deep downfield and were not on a full all out run for 50 yards already. They still kinda have fresh legs under them as they cut across field to get him. The fastest player on that field was Willie, Ike and Bush is just a hair slower then willie.

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I still want michael bush in the draft ...

... dookie just isnt the answer ... get each of them (parker and bush) 15 or so carries a game, or whoever has the hotter hand. It's been clear in the past that parker sometimes can't get the tough yards vs. some of the better run defenses in the NFL. Just this year: San Diego, Jacksonville, ATL ... numerous games last year as well, although he has shown enormous amounts of improvement.

I give you two reasons why I am leary of Michael Bush as our draft candidate...

1. Injuries. He has had two bad injuries within a few games of each other. One last year on his foot and one this year on his leg that required a titanum rod to be inserted. Since that bone is used every time he steps, runs, turns, jumps, etc., durability is a MAJOR concern. Funny though, that reason may actually MAKE HIM attractive to the Steelers. If he drops to the third round, we may pick him up. And yes, he just may drop that far. However, we have too many concerns on the O-Line, backup LB's, and CB's to waste a high draft pick on a RB that may or may not be physically able to play.

2. Red shirt. There is serious talk that he may be red-shirted for his injury since it happened so early in the year. It would be a brilliant move for him. He gets to play next year, a year older, bigger and stronger, while proving his ability and worth and DURAbility. It would probably be the difference between a first and third round pick.

I think we can scratch Micheal Bush off our list.