PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu leaves game with concussion

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-13-2006, 04:53 AM
By The Associated Press
Monday, November 13, 2006

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu received a concussion during the first quarter Sunday against New Orleans and did not return to the game.
Polamalu, an All-Pro safety last season, was hurt during a Saints touchdown drive that cut Pittsburgh's lead to 14-7.

He was examined by doctors on the Steelers' sideline and, while he was not taken immediately to the locker room, remained on the bench for New Orleans' next possession, with Tyrone Carter taking his place. At one point, after being examined by doctors, Polamalu leaned sideways and nearly tumbled off the bench.

Later in the first half, the Steelers lost another starting defensive back, cornerback Deshea Townsend, with a concussion and an ankle injury.

With two starters out, the Steelers played backups Anthony Madison, Bryant McFadden and Anthony Smith in their nickel and dime alignments that use five or six defensive

Elvis
11-13-2006, 06:46 AM
:tt02: :helmet: :tt02:
Hey.. I saw 2 or 3 things yesterday that I havent seen in a while.. I didnt actually see the Ducester in his joggin suit and I DID SEE #42 Jon Kuhn on the field on special teams. Now, Duce has been on this team all year/ inactive that is... and he cant even play special teams...:toofunny:
Now, I love Troy and I hate to see this injury to hit him again. He had these problems in college and I hope that he doesnt go back to that again. It would be sad to see such a great career be marred or ended by these injuries... My prayers are with the young man.

19ward86
11-13-2006, 09:06 AM
hope they are ok

Btrice
11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
What is wrong with the helmets in the NFL? Why are so many people getting concussions? That hit Troy made looked rough, but not rough enough to give him even a mild concussion. Bush's momentum was perpendicular to Troy's so unless he got his head caught in Bush's path (hard to tell from the angle they showed it at, it just looked like helmet to arm/shoulder contact) and it was snapped to the side, I can't see this happening.

I am definitely not calling Troy a glass figurine, I would point to the helmets first.

In the day and age of kevlar, high impact plastics, carbon fiber, and a multitude of impact absorbing foam solutions, concussions on routine plays should be nonexistent.

Now I realize that there is a momentum differential in this example, but if my hockey helmet can absorb a 80+ mph slap shot without me feeling anything (well my neck muscles have a little to do with that), I would think that the helmets in the NFL could at least reduce the intertial effects that cause most concussions. I think it would be a simple case of impact foam that absorbs at a non-linear rate coupled with trainers doing more neck strengthening work.

A simple neck harness can go a long way. I've used them in the past to strengthen my neck against flash KO's from uppercuts to the chin and forehead kicks that typically snap the head back and can cause concussions and loss of consciousness.

floodcitygirl
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Has anyone heard any updates on Troy? Sure would appreciate any info being passed on! :smile:

paw-n-maul-u
11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
What is wrong with the helmets in the NFL? Why are so many people getting concussions? That hit Troy made looked rough, but not rough enough to give him even a mild concussion. Bush's momentum was perpendicular to Troy's so unless he got his head caught in Bush's path (hard to tell from the angle they showed it at, it just looked like helmet to arm/shoulder contact) and it was snapped to the side, I can't see this happening.

I am definitely not calling Troy a glass figurine, I would point to the helmets first.

In the day and age of kevlar, high impact plastics, carbon fiber, and a multitude of impact absorbing foam solutions, concussions on routine plays should be nonexistent.

Now I realize that there is a momentum differential in this example, but if my hockey helmet can absorb a 80+ mph slap shot without me feeling anything (well my neck muscles have a little to do with that), I would think that the helmets in the NFL could at least reduce the intertial effects that cause most concussions. I think it would be a simple case of impact foam that absorbs at a non-linear rate coupled with trainers doing more neck strengthening work.

A simple neck harness can go a long way. I've used them in the past to strengthen my neck against flash KO's from uppercuts to the chin and forehead kicks that typically snap the head back and can cause concussions and loss of consciousness.

hahahahahaah ... wtf??? ... are you like an extreme wrestler or something ... forehead kicks??? i really dont know what you are talking about mortal combat.

polamalufan43
11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Has anyone heard any updates on Troy? Sure would appreciate any info being passed on! :smile:

I know, I don't think there is any yet. Cohwer said that he couldn't say anything yet because he didn't really know the details. Oh well, no doubt it will be on the news tonight, along with a bunch of fan reaction.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Btrice
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
hahahahahaah ... wtf??? ... are you like an extreme wrestler or something ... forehead kicks??? i really dont know what you are talking about mortal combat.

Its called MMA, mixed martial arts, and forehead kicks are rare but its the most extreme case besides right under the jaw that can make your head snap back fast.

And what am I talking about? Well I am trying to strike up an intelligent conversation about the causes of the rampant concussions seen all over the NFL. Thanks for your insightful addition :rolleyes: Where is Atlanta Dan when I need him?

Lyn
11-13-2006, 03:28 PM
When we drafted Troy, it seems like I remember alot of talk on how he had had several concussions in college. I sure hope he is okay!~

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

PirateSteeler
11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Troy "Glass Jaw" Polamalu got ****ed up by Bush. But he will be ok, i bet he plays next week.

HometownGal
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Some people just have more of a tendency for subsequent concussions than others, especially if they've suffered them in the past. Brain scrambles are no picnic no matter how they occured.

Btrice - good post. :thumbsup: We have something in common. :smile:

Btrice
11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I didn't know he had concussions in the past, that would explain things a bit more obviously. I still think the helmets could be better though.

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Aftrer getting repeated brain traumas at USC (I am joining those who prefer that term to concussion) I read on this board that Troy wears the supposedly improved helmet. I also read that the brain traumas had an adverse impact on the draft prospects of the player Pete Carroll called the best football player he had ever seen.

Usually when a player gets kncked out of the game he sits by his lonesome in a daze on teh bench, but troy appeared to be attended by at leat 2 coach/trainer types throughout the first half. Not a happy sight.

Infamix
11-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Aftrer getting repeated brain traumas at USC (I am joining those who prefer that term to concussion) I read on this board that Troy wears the supposedly improved helmet. I also read that the brain traumas had an adverse impact on the draft prospects of the player Pete Carroll called the best football player he had ever seen.

Usually when a player gets kncked out of the game he sits by his lonesome in a daze on teh bench, but troy appeared to be attended by at leat 2 coach/trainer types throughout the first half. Not a happy sight.

That's a shame...Polamalu and other DBs all around the NFL go for hits with their helmet, they would preserve their bodies if they wrapped players up instead.

Terrible Towel Boy
11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I read something that stated Polamalu has suffered at least six concussions - and "probably over ten" total. With that information and the disturbing sideline scene in the Saints game, I wonder how much longer the guy can play.

Does anyone here know if those concussion numbers are accurate?

sumo
11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
That's a shame...Polamalu and other DBs all around the NFL go for hits with their helmet, they would preserve their bodies if they wrapped players up instead.

This is true - everybody these days is looking for the knockout hit - lead with the head and facemask - I played Rugby for a couple of years and I never had the headaches/concussions I got from playing football - it's a totally different style of tackling to protect the head and neck - but it's hard to get guys to switch - this coupled with guys being faster and stronger all the time - it's just gonna keep getting worse in the NFL with regards to concussions...

24seven
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
This is true - everybody these days is looking for the knockout hit - lead with the head and facemask - I played Rugby for a couple of years and I never had the headaches/concussions I got from playing football - it's a totally different style of tackling to protect the head and neck - but it's hard to get guys to switch - this coupled with guys being faster and stronger all the time - it's just gonna keep getting worse in the NFL with regards to concussions...

I was just about to post your exact comments after reading through.. The speed of players and the higher expectations to win these days are for sure added reasons to why theres so many concussions as of late. I doubt the helmets have anything to do with it really.. As for a hockey puck hitting you at 80mph.. the big difference is your not traveling at 80mph at it at the same time.. not that football players are but there mass is much bigger than a little puck plus there hitting head on like a mack truck.. I've seen some of the hardest hits i've ever seen this year and jacked up segments on ESPN aren't helping the situation by glorifying knocking someones head off.. I like seeing them as much as the next guy but i think it has added to the need for headhunting..