PDA

View Full Version : ESPN obsessed with Reggie Bush

sumo
11-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Yesterday I had a family emergency (false alarm) and ended up only catching most of the game while I was driving on the radio - of course it's a great game with a lot of exciting plays - I finally get home later in the evening and I want to see the highlights .. ESPN sportscenter brings up highlights from the game 2 different times and what do they show? - A split screen of Reggie Bush running for a TD in college and vs the Steelers and how cool it was that they looked so much a like - HOW FREAKIN CUTE!! - forget it that Willie had a game for the ages (they only showed his 1 touchdown run from inside the 10) - what is up with that???? - no highlights of Willie's runs - just all Bush all the time - they were so pumped - they finally had something to show besides a five yard swing pass...

floodcitygirl
11-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Yesterday I had a family emergency and ended up only catching most of the game while I was driving on the radio - of course it's a great game with a lot of exciting plays - I finally get home later in the evening and I want to see the highlights .. ESPN sportscenter brings up highlights from the game 2 different times and what do they show? - A split screen of Reggie Bush running for a TD in college and vs the Steelers and how cool it was that they looked so much a like - HOW FREAKIN CUTE!! - forget it that Willie had a game for the ages (they only showed his 1 touchdown run from inside the 10) - what is up with that???? - no highlights of Willie's runs - just all Bush all the time - they were so pumped - they finally had something to show besides a five yard swing pass...Hope all is well with your family. Hopefully you'll get to see some other clips from that game. The look on Willie's face as he was running that ball was priceless...pure determination!

memphissteelergirl
11-13-2006, 01:43 PM
ESPN always has certain players whose backsides they will kiss all season-Reggie Bush just happens to be one of them.

sumo
11-13-2006, 01:43 PM
thanks for asking it turned out to be no big deal - I did catch some highlights on my local news channel - I am happy for Parker - I was wrong about him - I thought coming into this year we made a mistake by not getting a different lead back, he couldn't get the tough yards, he would only be good for a long run here and there, etc - I think I even posted a lot of negative stuff about Willie here at SF -- I am so glad he's proving me wrong!! - he's great!

Steelers
11-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Ask for a TiVo for Christmas so you won't have to rely on what ESPN wants to show.

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Thats the deal with sports media the world over - they'll kiss a guys ass and annoint him the chosen one - but heaven help him if he doesn't produce the goods.

The amount of time these guys are given seems completely arbitrary - but when the good will runs out...boy does it run out.

Bush has a couple of years to get to LT standards after which point most media outlets will have him labeled as an irretrievable bust if he fails.

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Bush gets the pub and Pats get the ballplayer when it comes to rookie RBs this season.

As for LT, that guy is amazing. Do not know how many saw him run in the short yardage TD while the Bengal flagrantly attempted to tackle him by the face mask

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Bush gets the pub and Pats get the ballplayer when it comes to rookie RBs this season.

As for LT, that guy is amazing. Do not know how many saw him run in the short yardage TD while the Bengal flagrantly attempted to tackle him by the face mask

Yeah I seen that.

This weeks live games were Bengals/ Chargers and Steelers/ Saints - LT just gets better and better and he has done it so long without much support on offense and not much on defense either.

NM

Stillers#1
11-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Damn though, did you guys see Bush fly like 8 million feet in the air for that one TD?

Amazing.

Mosca
11-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Jeez Nigel, what did you see, like 160 points and 2000 yards of offense! Man!

Tom

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Jeez Nigel, what did you see, like 160 points and 2000 yards of offense! Man!

Tom

Yep it was a hell of a show - unfortunately it played a distant second to watching the Patriots lose a key home battle against a division rival on gamecast.

I dont think a team recovers from blowing as a big a lead as Cincy did last night- not this season anyway.

Im guessing these are the type of games that the NFL was looking for when it handicapped the DB's and wrapped the QB in cotton wool.

I enjoy a real defensive grind of a game also - as long as its big hits and big plays - not just inept offense.

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2006, 06:59 PM
LITP - with regard to yesterday's Bengals-Chargers and Steelers-Saints basketball games, defensive coaches will catch up somehow.

I remember in the early 80s when not only the Niners but the early Gibbs Redskins, Bengals with Ken Anderson, and Air Coryell were unstoppable (I even remember Lynn Dickey and a mediocre Green Bay team getting in a high 40s shootout on a Monday night game). It did not appear that D could adjust to the tougher rules imposed after the 1974-76 Steelers D shut everyone down, but then Buddy Ryan invented the 46 defense and the original LT revolutionized the pass rush.

Livinginthe past
11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
LITP - with regard to yesterday's Bengals-Chargers and Steelers-Saints basketball games, defensive coaches will catch up somehow.

I remember in the early 80s when not only the Niners but the early Gibbs Redskins, Bengals with Ken Anderson, and Air Coryell were unstoppable (I even remember Lynn Dickey and a mediocre Green Bay team getting in a high 40s shootout on a Monday night game). It did not appear that D could adjust to the tougher rules imposed after the 1974-76 Steelers D shut everyone down, but then Buddy Ryan invented the 46 defense and the original LT revolutionized the pass rush.

I would say you are probably right - D coaches obviously spend alot of time breaking down footage and working out schemes to stop these high powered offenses.

I see quite alot of player evolution on offense - WR that look like TE's and vice versa - a slight shift towards two headed running attacks - where as the guys on D are having to be reactive - there was alot of talk about speedy DB's being the only way to combat the re-emphasised pass interference rules - the jump ball in the endzone seems to be back in vogue.

I guess if there was no re-emphasis of certain rules and adjustments to help offense then scoring would grind to a halt...im not sure I believe that but the NFL seems to.

NM

sumo
11-13-2006, 07:42 PM

I like the NFL the way it is today - I still think guys with good speed and technique can play with today's wide-outs - you forgot the run and shoot of the early 90s - I thought for a while it was going to be what the NFL evolved to - I'm glad it didn't - I imagine if the Bills had won a couple of SBs it might have taken hold more - I'm happy it's gone, but if you still want to see it - June Jones is keeping it alive and well in the Aloha state

PisnNapalm
11-13-2006, 08:38 PM
*finger* to ESPN. I wasn't able to see the game in my area. I figured I'd get to see atleast one of Willie's runs, but no. The only "highlight" shown was Bush diving into the endzone. Freakin a.

Atlanta Dan
11-13-2006, 09:23 PM
*finger* to ESPN. I wasn't able to see the game in my area. I figured I'd get to see atleast one of Willie's runs, but no. The only "highlight" shown was Bush diving into the endzone. Freakin a.

Three words - DirecTV Sunday Ticket

DirecTV paid a bundle to keep that package off cable and they have kept me as a customer becuase of it.

PisnNapalm
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Three words - DirecTV Sunday Ticket

DirecTV paid a bundle to keep that package off cable and they have kept me as a customer becuase of it.

$174.... plus the DirectTV service.

Sorry, but I'm already pissed off about my $54 cable bill each month. Yeah I love my Steelers, but I can't afford to get more expensive.