PDA

View Full Version : T.J. gets jacked-up!!

Ambridge
11-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Don't listen to the idiot broadcasters........It wasn't a helmet to helmet hit.

Seeing "Whiney" Douchebag-zadeh getting laid out was better than Chad Johnson getting knocked goofy against the Brown earlier this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qu1_4U1i3w

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Sorry, Ambridge - I disagree. Not only was it a helmet to helmet hit (imo, of course), it was a dirty cheap shot. I can't stomach IShaggedMyMama or his Jiffy Pop headed partner in slime, but I calls it as I sees it and McCree clearly charged him with his head/helmet. I hope McCree is fined out the ass for that hit. When I see flagrant cheap shots like that, it doesn't matter who the player is or how much I may dislike him - there is no place in the NFL, or any sport for that matter, for that type of behavior.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 08:41 AM
When you run your mouth as much as that punk does, this type of stuff occurs.

Thanks for the clip Ambridge. :cheers:

Ambridge
11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Sorry, Ambridge - I disagree. Not only was it a helmet to helmet hit (imo, of course), it was a dirty cheap shot. I can't stomach IShaggedMyMama or his Jiffy Pop headed partner in slime, but I calls it as I sees it and McCree clearly charged him with his head/helmet. I hope McCree is fined out the ass for that hit. When I see flagrant cheap shots like that, it doesn't matter who the player is or how much I may dislike him - there is no place in the NFL, or any sport for that matter, for that type of behavior.

Hometown watch the clip closely and you'll see McCree clearly lowered his shoulder into Mr. Alphabet and didn't use his helmet.

I might agree that the hit was unnecessary and McCree might be hearing from the league office this week but I sure enjoyed watching it and if I had McCree's address I send him a Thank You card.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 08:57 AM
There is no doubt it was an early/cheap hit. But I'm not really seeing the helmet to helmet hit. More shoulder than anything. Lowered it before laying the smack down.

stlrtruck
11-14-2006, 09:05 AM
IMHO, it seems that as he lowers his shoulder, he's also lowering his head. If he just keeps his head up, I don't think you see the flag. But it does look like a cheap shot, at least to me.

Thanks for the clip though.

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 09:11 AM
There is no doubt it was an early/cheap hit. But I'm not really seeing the helmet to helmet hit. More shoulder than anything. Lowered it before laying the smack down.

Watch the second view and you will be able to see McCree launch himself into TJ with his helmet first - if you listen closely, you can hear the helmets hit. No matter how you look at it, though, it was just uncalled for.

Ambridge - LMAO on the thank-you card! :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I guess I'm blind, I'm still seeing shoulder. :hunch:

Mosca
11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't have to like the guy to hate the hit. It was BS all the way, a flagrant attempt to injure that appeared premeditated (but how would one know, of course).

Tom

Livinginthe past
11-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I seen a gaz-illion (approximately) replays of that hit from a few different angles when I was watching the game on sunday - it was a real cheap shot hit - and definitely helmet to helmet.

I can see how that clip makes it appear as if he lowered his shoulder but on every angle and in slo-mo its helmet to helmet.

In purely logical terms the hit was a huge advantage to the Chargers - TJ was out for a good while and im not even sure he returned to the game.

NM

Ambridge
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM

No........you're not blind and I've heard more than one sports commentator and ex-NFL player Darryl Johnston say it was technically a legal hit. You can clearly see the #20 on McCree's jersey sleeve get driven into TJ's upper body from using his shoulder.

MACH1
11-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Couldnt of happend to a nicer guy......:poke:

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Move on over then, 83 - I'm obviously blind too. Wanna borrow my seeing eye dog? :wink02: :flap:

I think if Hines, SanHo or any of our wideouts were hit in that fashion, we'd more than likely all agree that it was a cheap shot and be screaming bloody murder. The guy is a total peckerhead but that hit was flagrant and just plain dirty, imho.

klick81
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Couldnt of happend to a nicer guy......:poke:

I agree. CANNOT STAND HIM.

wiqidjuggalo
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I dont think ANY hit like that on ANY player no matter how much we love or hate them is called for because of the simple fact that it could have broken his neck and ended his career... I am a true FOOTBALL FAN and i have respect for every player for having the skills and ability to play the game... Granted, some of them piss me off with the style of play they show or the BS off the field but the respect is still there... What would all of you been saying if that hit was on Hines Ward or Nate Washington or any of our other wide receivers?

augustashark
11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Cheap shot, yes. Does he bring this type of thing upon himself due to the smack talk and his actions, yes. While I agree that the hit was uncalled for, I also think that there are some players out there that DB'S are just waiting to lay out. TO is one of them Chad is another and I hate to admit it, but I think Hines is also a player that a DB would love to lay out. Although with Hines it would be for a completly different reason than smack talk and his actions off the field, his actions on the field ie laying out DB'S with crushing blocks is enough to have DB'S looking his way.

klick81
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Cheap shot, yes. Does he bring this type of thing upon himself due to the smack talk and his actions, yes. While I agree that the hit was uncalled for, I also think that there are some players out there that DB'S are just waiting to lay out. TO is one of them Chad is another and I hate to admit it, but I think Hines is also a player that a DB would love to lay out. Although with Hines it would be for a completly different reason than smack talk and his actions off the field, his actions on the field ie laying out DB'S with crushing blocks is enough to have DB'S looking his way.

I agree 100% with this post.

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 03:29 PM

While I do understand where you are coming from, augusta - no one is deserving of that kind of a career (or life threatening) hit, no matter who they are or how much they yap. These guys are supposed to be professionals and role models for youngsters - what kind of a message does it send to kids who are just starting out playing football and those pursuing a career in the NFL - that it's OK to take a cheap shot at a defenseless opponent just because they get off on talking trash? I love hard hitting, in your face, smashmouth football just as much as the next fan, but when a player deliberately targets another player with an intent to injure, as I believe McCree did in this case, that crosses the line of professional sportsmanship.

meanjoecoop
11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
The epic novel: Chargers apologize, Bengals make excuses.

Schottenheimer, McCree defend big hit

Monday, Nov 13, 2006

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer went to bat for one of his players Monday, adamantly stating that Marlon McCree?s fourth-quarter hit on Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh was not a dirty play. After watching film of the incident, Schottenheimer was certain that the two players? shoulders collided, not their helmets.

?That?s a catch phrase,? Schottenheimer said. ??Oh, it?s helmet to helmet!? Everyone wants a piece of that. That wasn?t the case at all. It was a very aggressive play. It was a timing thing. A split-second later and it would have been a good collision and either a catch or an incompletion.?

On the CBS broadcast, color commentator Dan Dierdorf adamantly expressed his displeasure with the hit, calling it a dirty play.

?I consider him a friend and I think he?s a good person, but I think it was a bit of a rush to judgment,? Schottenheimer said. ?That young man doesn?t play that way.?

Schottenheimer also pointed out that McCree?s hit did not knock Houshmandzadeh?s helmet off. Linebacker Randall Godfrey, who was trailing on the play, also collided with Houshmandzadeh, causing his helmet to come off and leaving him dizzy.

McCree said that he attempted to contact Houshmandzadeh Monday but the messages he left with Bengals officials were not returned. However, Houshmandzadeh?s comments to the Associated Press confirmed what Schottenheimer and McCree said Monday.

"He was just trying to make a play on the ball," Houshmandzadeh said. "He got there a little too soon. It wasn't actually his hit that hurt me. It was the fact that the linebacker was coming so fast. He tried to jump over me but as he jumped, he kneed me in the head. It was just one of those split-second type of accidents."

On Monday, McCree reiterated his concern for Houshmandzadeh?s health and for his own reputation.

?Guys are quick to jump to conclusions,? McCree said. ?I can understand how he could see that with just the naked eye. It looks bad, but once you look at it on tape and you slow it down, you see that the only thing that I did wrong was commit pass interference. It wasn?t anything out of the ordinary as far as the safety coming down in the middle of the field.?

?The most important thing to me is that T.J. was okay. I saw him on the sideline laughing. The second-most important thing was that we won.?

Notes: Bengals miss heady T.J.

By GEOFF HOBSON

November 13, 2006

T.J. Houshmandzadeh remembered the play call and then it all goes blank.

?The next thing I knew, LaDainian was scoring a touchdown, 49-41,? said Houshmandzadeh, so he was just like everybody else after the Bengals somehow blew leads of 21-0 and 28-7.

Except the fans were wondering if the last 9:30 or so would have been any different if Chargers free safety Marlon McCree hadn?t taken a cheap shot with his helmet as Houshmandzadeh went for pass over the middle and got drilled with what appeared to be an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit.

Houshmandzadeh suffered what is believed to be a concussion that got finished off when he got kneed by linebacker Randall Godfrey as he went to the ground.

Houshmandzadeh doesn?t remember the hit, so he said he doesn?t know if it?s dirty. He did say, ?The guy who hit me is in L.A. a lot, so me and my home boys will have something to say to him,? but then he admitted later he didn?t know who hit him.

?I hope he?s OK. I didn?t intentionally try to hurt him,? McCree said to reporters in the Chargers locker room. ?On the first series of the game I went for the interception and I missed it on the tight end. That play and this play (were similar). He was coming across and I was coming out of the middle and I saw the ball but I lost the ball.

?As opposed to trying to go for the interception and have them complete it, I went for the hit. I was early and I feel badly for it. This game is dangerous enough as it is. You don?t need dirty shots and I?m not a dirty player. I?m going to be praying for him and I?m going to call him and make sure he?s OK. I didn?t try to take him out of the game. It was a bad hit. I shouldn?t have done it.?

And, yes, Houshmandzadeh, who said he remembers only bits and pieces about the game, does recall dropping that huge third-and-12 pass over the middle at about the Chargers 35 the series before with 11:32 left in the game.

?I don?t know, I can?t believe it,? said Houshmandzadeh, who led the NFL with the fewest drops last season. ?I played a part in this. If I make that catch, we win this game.?

Fellow wide receiver Chad Johnson had to be soothed by Eric Ball, the club?s director of player relations, as players huddled around Houshmandzadeh and confronted McCree.

?I told him that was he wrong and he shouldn?t have done it,? Johnson said. ?And he apologized and said he didn?t. I thought T.J. was going to come back in.?

Houshmandzadeh would have if trainer Paul Sparling didn?t take away his helmet. It looks like he?ll be able to play next week in New Orleans. He left the locker room with some aspirin, but how he feels Monday is going to be key.

?I?m good, I could have gone back in,? said Houshmandzadeh, who didn?t appear to be mega woozy. ?I?m kind of shocked. I thought I had a concrete head. I?m usually able to get hit and it never really hurts me.?

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 05:33 PM
“The guy who hit me is in L.A. a lot, so me and my home boys will have something to say to him,”

This is why I find it very hard to feel any sympathy towards that punk.

Ambridge
11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
?The guy who hit me is in L.A. a lot, so me and my home boys will have something to say to him,?

I agree 100%.

klick81
11-14-2006, 07:22 PM
No sympathy here.

Hawk Believer
11-14-2006, 07:40 PM
In purely logical terms the hit was a huge advantage to the Chargers - TJ was out for a good while and im not even sure he returned to the game.

NM

Great point. You got think something like that might come to the attention of the competition committee. You wouldn't want a trend of teams trying to win by removing impact players with undisputable cheap shots like that.

I have always been a big fan of the idea that if a player injures another with a cheap shot or flagrant foul, the transgressor should be suspended as long as the injured person was unable to play due to that injury. I know it would never happen and it would be messy in application, but it just seems like there would be less of this kind of stuff if justice was doled out by the league that way.

SteelerFanInCA
11-14-2006, 07:41 PM
When you run your mouth as much as that punk does, this type of stuff occurs.

Thanks for the clip Ambridge. :cheers:

You've got that right. He is a definate target in the league.

Hawk Believer
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
?The guy who hit me is in L.A. a lot, so me and my home boys will have something to say to him,?

Agreed. But that still doesn't justify the hit.

tony hipchest
11-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Great point. You got think something like that might come to the attention of the competition committee. You wouldn't want a trend of teams trying to win by removing impact players with undisputable cheap shots like that.

I have always been a big fan of the idea that if a player injures another with a cheap shot or flagrant foul, the transgressor should be suspended as long as the injured person was unable to play due to that injury. I know it would never happen and it would be messy in application, but it just seems like there would be less of this kind of stuff if justice was doled out by the league that way.definitely messy in application.

like in the case of rodney harrison intentionally trying to pile drive marvin harrisons head into the turf last week yet he is the one who is injured. does marvin get suspended for comparable time?

should rodney be suspended on top of the time he is out due to a self inflicted injury.

does intent play any part?

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Agreed. But that still doesn't justify the hit.

Not saying it does. I already stated I thought it was an early/cheap shot. But I am saying that when you run your mouth in a competitive and physical sport such as football, expect those you are playing against to shut it for you.

Trust me, it's not as if I was sitting inside Heinz Field on Sunday thinking to myself "Boy, I hope somebody lights up TJ today". But if it happens I do think to myself "There's a shocker, he probably asked for it.".

Hawk Believer
11-14-2006, 09:04 PM
definitely messy in application.

like in the case of rodney harrison intentionally trying to pile drive marvin harrisons head into the turf last week yet he is the one who is injured. does marvin get suspended for comparable time?

should rodney be suspended on top of the time he is out due to a self inflicted injury.

does intent play any part?

Yes, Marvin gets suspended...:sofunny:

I think such a suspension should be reserved only for the most egregious cases. Things like Kermit Washington almost killing Rudy Tomjonavich with a cheap shot, Kirby Puckett having his career ended by a bean ball to the eye, or that devasting hit that NHL player made (Bartuzzi?) a few years back.

Cheap hits are bad for the game. But it doesn't seem like there is a major trend here. But if the NFL doens't come down on McCree or the Chargers, the lesson may be that you can snipe a star from the other team to help you win. Imagine if someone put that hit on Steve Smith in the playoffs. The Panthers would immediately have no chance. If it was any old DB, ejecting him would be like sacrificing a pawn for a queen (insert joke here).

Fortunately it seems like there is a level of integrity amongst most NFL players that limits this kind of stuff. I am not a fan of unneeded rules. But I do think having some discretion to make a suspension commensurate to the time a flagrantly illegal penalty takes the victim out of the game wouldn't be a bad thing.

SteelCityMan786
11-14-2006, 09:07 PM
SIT DOWN WHOSYOURMAMA

Hawk Believer
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Not saying it does. I already stated I thought it was an early/cheap shot. But I am saying that when you run your mouth in a competitive and physical sport such as football, expect those you are playing against to shut it for you.

Trust me, it's not as if I was sitting inside Heinz Field on Sunday thinking to myself "Boy, I hope somebody lights up TJ today". But if it happens I do think to myself "There's a shocker, he probably asked for it.".

:cheers: I get what you're saying. Sometimes I am amazed something like this hasn't happened to T.O... By a Cowboy.

MACH1
11-15-2006, 12:42 AM
:cheers: I get what you're saying. Sometimes I am amazed something like this hasn't happened to T.O... By a Cowboy.

The season isnt over yet.:cheers:

Livinginthe past
11-15-2006, 01:52 AM
Yes, Marvin gets suspended...:sofunny:

I think such a suspension should be reserved only for the most egregious cases. Things like Kermit Washington almost killing Rudy Tomjonavich with a cheap shot, Kirby Puckett having his career ended by a bean ball to the eye, or that devasting hit that NHL player made (Bartuzzi?) a few years back.

Cheap hits are bad for the game. But it doesn't seem like there is a major trend here. But if the NFL doens't come down on McCree or the Chargers, the lesson may be that you can snipe a star from the other team to help you win. Imagine if someone put that hit on Steve Smith in the playoffs. The Panthers would immediately have no chance. If it was any old DB, ejecting him would be like sacrificing a pawn for a queen (insert joke here).

Fortunately it seems like there is a level of integrity amongst most NFL players that limits this kind of stuff. I am not a fan of unneeded rules. But I do think having some discretion to make a suspension commensurate to the time a flagrantly illegal penalty takes the victim out of the game wouldn't be a bad thing.

Hey Hawk,

I like the idea of being able to put a team at a disadvantage if they deliberately attempt to take another teams star player out of action.

Im not a big follower of hockey, but dont they have 'enforcer' type guys whose only role is to soften up the skills players on the oppositions team?

Thats a future I hope we dont see in the NFL.

In this case, I dont think it was particularly premeditated ie before the snap, but when the opportunity arose McCree didn't think twice about laying a cheap shot - making no attempt to play the ball.

NM

Preacher
11-15-2006, 03:48 AM
I am not sure it was a cheap shot... Assess with me for a second...

1. DB says ball got lost... his timing was thrown off.

2. He is not known as a cheap player

3. It is not a rivalry game or payback game.

4. According to the Bengal mouth... Chad Johnson (I hope this is just bad writing by a reporter, because if this is Johnson's best attempt at english, I hope he knows how to sell used cars after his playing days are over), “I told him that was he wrong and he shouldn’t have done it,” Johnson said. “And he apologized and said he didn’t.

5. The DB was not burned by Johnson throughout the day, so it wasn't a pride issue.

To me, logic would then dictate that this hit was not a cheap shot. He did not INTENTIONALLY seek out to hurt him.

Was it dangerous? Oh yeah. If the league wants to find him for an early hit, just to send a message to other DB's that you have to be extra careful, I have no problem with that. But the hit was purely (in my estimation) a result of a split second decision in a fast moving game that ended up being the wrong decision.

meanjoecoop
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/meanjoecoop/tj-hit.jpg

HometownGal
11-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Sometimes I am amazed something like this hasn't happened to T.O... By a Cowboy.

If Bledsoe hadn't made his starting job ripe for the pickin' for Tony Romo, I can almost guarantee he would have clocked TO before the end of the season. Bledsoe has one helluva bad temper.

I like the idea of suspending a player for the amount of time that his "victim" is out of commission due to a cheap shot, but it will never happen in the NFL. The PA would be screaming bloody murder.

Infamix
11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Definitely a cheap shot. He should be fined alot for that hit....I don't care if he's on the Bengals, he's still a human being.