PDA

View Full Version : cowhers future dimmed

19ward86
11-14-2006, 07:47 AM
bill cowher was supposed to take over the job at north carolina next year but i was watching sportscenter yesterday and BUTCH DAVIS took the job, this means that if he retires he will retire, not go to college. i think it takes kohonas to leave football altogether.

BigDuke6
11-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I couldnt see him going to college after such a successful run in the "BIGS". I see rather, a few years of retirement with family then a return to the NFL when the itch become too strong to scratch.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
bill cowher was supposed to take over the job at north carolina next year but i was watching sportscenter yesterday and BUTCH DAVIS took the job, this means that if he retires he will retire, not go to college. i think it takes kohonas to leave football altogether.

You got your rumors confused. The rumor had Cowher going to NC State since he played there in the 70s.

Of course any rumors of Cowher going to a mid-level ACC school and hoping to get a bid to the WeedEater Bowl every few years is nonsense.

Bettis has it right - Cowher will take a few years off and come back with a break the bank contract (north of $5-6 million per) with another NFL team.

UNC is paying Davis $2 million per and NC State could not pay more than that; $2 million is less thanCowher gets now and far less than what he will get on his next NFL contract. With his credentials, there is no way Cowher takes a pay cut to be head coach at a mediocre college program.

MACH1
11-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Hmmmmmmmm Bet he ends up with the panthers...

SteelersWoman
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I just know I'd sure hate to see him coachin any team but ours, and I'd really hate to see us go up against a BC coached team.

He's a Pittsburgh guy--he needs to stay with Pitt, or retire altogether, or take a couple three years off and come back here :)

slashsteel
11-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Some fans seem to think Cowher will hang it up after this year. But I am not sold on that theory.....................

HometownGal
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I still think Cowher is going to honor the one year remaining on his current contract. The Rooneys and the Cowhers are like family to each other and I just can't see him leaving beforehand - he is much too honorable of a man to leave a team and organization he loves in the lurch.

Butch Davis??? I don't think that schmo is capable of coaching a pee-wee team much less a collegiate team. :dang:

BigDuke6
11-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I just know I'd sure hate to see him coachin any team but ours, and I'd really hate to see us go up against a BC coached team.

He's a Pittsburgh guy--he needs to stay with Pitt, or retire altogether, or take a couple three years off and come back here :)

I try no to fall in love too much with any particular guy. I thougt Chuck Noll walked on water but by the time he trew in the towel, his regime had more than run its course. If Bill goes, life goes on. We bring in a Jeff Fisher or a "new" Bill Cowher kinda guy.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I still think Cowher is going to honor the one year remaining on his current contract. The Rooneys and the Cowhers are like family to each other and I just can't see him leaving beforehand - he is much too honorable of a man to leave a team and organization he loves in the lurch.

Butch Davis??? I don't think that schmo is capable of coaching a pee-wee team much less a collegiate team. :dang:

Davis brought the Miami program back while they were in probation h*** in the mid 90s and those powerhouse teams that won one national championship and should have won another but for a horrible call in the Ohio State BCS game were his recruits. Davis is a very good coach on the college level but (like Pete Carroll) could not achieve success at the next level.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 03:07 PM

I think Cowher ends up with whatever team goes into LA. That team will have deep pockets and will pay what Cowher can demand on the open market. Getting a marquee coach like Cowher also will get the fans geeked up immediately in a market the NFL wants back badly.

Elvis
11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
:tt02:
I believe Cowher will be in Pittsburgh for quiet a few more years. I think that he will atleast be back next year. We still have a great team for the future and Bill will not leave the Pittsburgh org. in a bad spot. As for Butch Davis, I am really excited about him coming to UNC for the football program. He will make a difference for UNC .. anyone remember how good he did in Miami,FLA during their probation years, he is a real good coach at the college level.. GO HEELS!!!

Stlrs4Life
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
You got your rumors confused. The rumor had Cowher going to NC State since he played there in the 70s.

Of course any rumors of Cowher going to a mid-level ACC school and hoping to get a bid to the WeedEater Bowl every few years is nonsense.

Bettis has it right - Cowher will take a few years off and come back with a break the bank contract (north of $5-6 million per) with another NFL team.

UNC is paying Davis $2 million per and NC State could not pay more than that; $2 million is less thanCowher gets now and far less than what he will get on his next NFL contract. With his credentials, there is no way Cowher takes a pay cut to be head coach at a mediocre college program.

That's for sure Atlanta.

Preacher
11-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Until I see the fire in Cowher, I will NEVER be convinced that he is coming back. Nor am I sure I want him back. I was with him in the late 90's. I knew that he was right there and the losses were not hiim.

Now? I am not convinced at all!

SteelerFanInCA
11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I agree with HTG. I can see Cowher at least honoring and finishing out his current contract. There is life after Cowher people.

SteelersNationsfl
11-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree with Preacher... I have noticed that Cower more or less has a look up disgust rather than the look of confidence, will power and leadership. I wonder if there may be something going on in his personal life that he has not spoken up about. I wouldn't think that he would just fluff out his final year at Pittsburgh... Of course what was Chucks record t he year he retired?

MJ5150
11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Sweet! Another "Cowher leaving the Steelers" thread. :smile:

I thought I had a good grasp on what was going on. Everyone here, and even some of the TV guys are making good points on both sides. I'll just enjoy the season, and deal with Bill's decision when he makes it.

I'll be sad if he leaves, but I'm pretty sure the sun will come up the next day and the Steelers will play next year and on without him.

-Mike

SteelCzar76
11-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Davis brought the Miami program back while they were in probation h*** in the mid 90s and those powerhouse teams that won one national championship and should have won another but for a horrible call in the Ohio State BCS game were his recruits. Davis is a very good coach on the college level but (like Pete Carroll) could not achieve success at the next level.

I think what HomeTown may have been saying Dan is that,.......though you can't be completely inept,......you don't have to be an exceptional coach (or even of League quality to be successful with players of the caliber of Davis's Canes units, or even coach Carroll's most recent squads.
An exceptional "total package" coach get's it done on any level of the game. Others just work well in regards to motivating "kids" and don't have the skill and or aptitude to handle the players and the nature of the game at it's highest level.
Does this make them less from a coaching standpoint ? That's a matter of personal opinion.
But i've always felt as though playing and or coaching well at football's highest level was suppossed to be THE pinnacle and greatest measure of an individual's worth in respect to the sport.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

NV STEELERS 723
11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Atlanta Dan, did they legalize pot in GA??

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Atlanta Dan, did they legalize pot in GA??

Unfortunately no but if you would care to elaborate on what that has to do with anything I have posted on this thread fire away

Preacher
11-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Sweet! Another "Cowher leaving the Steelers" thread. :smile:

I thought I had a good grasp on what was going on. Everyone here, and even some of the TV guys are making good points on both sides. I'll just enjoy the season, and deal with Bill's decision when he makes it.

I'll be sad if he leaves, but I'm pretty sure the sun will come up the next day and the Steelers will play next year and on without him.

-Mike

Sorry Mike! :computer:

It seems that I post on every thread about this just before you do!! :wave:

I agree... We will do well, and the Sun will come up, regardless of who coaches.

Hines0wnz
11-15-2006, 10:43 AM

I was thinking the same thing....unless Fox gets them to the Super Bowl this year. Which will not happen.

Big D
11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
With all being said that cowher is an honorable man and will stay with the steelers after this year my question to you all is this... Who is he going to be more honorable with? His family? or the steeler organization. Sounds like a no brainer to me

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
With all being said that cowher is an honorable man and will stay with the steelers after this year my question to you all is this... Who is he going to be more honorable with? His family? or the steeler organization. Sounds like a no brainer to me

My sentiments exactly - it is a lot easier to get another job than another family

sumo
11-15-2006, 12:03 PM
No matter where he goes he will always be a Steeler - when coaches leave the team they are so closely associated with and go somewhere else it doesn't work out..

Lombardi - Redskins head coach? Walsh as head coach of the Cardinal? Johnson- Dolphins? Seifert- Carolina?
I still think of Walsh and Seifert as 49ers, Johnson as a Cowboy, Lombardi as a Packer - won't ever think of Cowher as anything other than a Steeler...

Preacher
11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
My sentiments exactly - it is a lot easier to get another job than another family

I wonder though... after a few years of retirement... his kids are fully gone and settled down with families of thier own... Does Cowher come back to Pittsburgh?

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I wonder though... after a few years of retirement... his kids are fully gone and settled down with families of thier own... Does Cowher come back to Pittsburgh?

I think Joe Gibbs is a living example of the hazards of coming back to compete against your own accomplishments with the same team.

If it does not work out somewhere else it will not tarnish his accomplishments in Pittsburgh (not to mention that Cowher will draw down huge $$ when he returns, far more than I believe the Rooneys' would pay under their very successful business model for running a NFL franchise).

RY0525
11-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey all, dont forget Whisenhunt stayed on to coach the offense rather than go elsewhere as a head coach. If Bill does leave to be with his family or otherwise I think the guy to take the helm would come from within. Continuity is an important thing. Whisenhunt is another young genious like BC who would stick around long term like Bill has.

SteelCzar76
11-16-2006, 02:39 AM

I don't understand how Coach's CAREER would cost him his family ? The Career that has provided for and helped maintain the happiness, quality of life and future wellbeing for his family.
Are you implying that him continuing to coach would cause a some sort of rift between himself and his wife and daughters ? I don't believe that is the case at all. They know, understand are fully supportive as to whom he is and what his career means to himself (as well as to them).
Perhaps you may be implying that Coach feels as though football is compromising "Quality time" with his family ? But,......c'mon how could that be the case. What he might miss in terms of attending sporting events,......he has the resources to more than make up for on a personal level. And this is because of his CAREER.
Bottom line,.....IF coach walks away,.....it's because he no longer has the "stomach" for football. He has always held his family in THE HIGHEST regard. And they have always known that.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Seth88101
11-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Instead of looking at this from a steelers point of view, lets look at it from a cowher point of view. He's burnt out right now! The past couple of offseasons he has said things in regards to maybe not coming back. It's a tough and gruelling job that he has down great for 15 years. If the man wants to retire and feels like he's done his part for now then let's respect his decision. The last thing we want is for a burnt out cowher to remain because his players, fans, or organization wants him too. He NEEDS to WANT to say, and right now i'm not sure he wants too. Let's get somebody with the drive and want to take over. Let cowher relax if he'd like to for a couple of years and soon he will realize coaching is in his blood and will return with his usual intensity.

Atlanta Dan
11-16-2006, 07:04 AM
I don't understand how Coach's CAREER would cost him his family ? The Career that has provided for and helped maintain the happiness, quality of life and future wellbeing for his family.
Are you implying that him continuing to coach would cause a some sort of rift between himself and his wife and daughters ? I don't believe that is the case at all. They know, understand are fully supportive as to whom he is and what his career means to himself (as well as to them).
Perhaps you may be implying that Coach feels as though football is compromising "Quality time" with his family ? But,......c'mon how could that be the case. What he might miss in terms of attending sporting events,......he has the resources to more than make up for on a personal level. And this is because of his CAREER.
Bottom line,.....IF coach walks away,.....it's because he no longer has the "stomach" for football. He has always held his family in THE HIGHEST regard. And they have always known that.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Cowher's personal life is his own business but since the question has been raised I will respond.

His wife has moved to North Carolina while Cowher obviously has not - pretty clear that for whatever reason she wanted out of Pittsburgh ASAP.

His career obviously has provided for his family but his wife clearly does not regard it to be of sufficient importance to keep her in the city where he works.

Every marriage has its own dynamics but in most cases protracted separations do not make the heart grew fonder. Spending 6 months of the year apart (does anyone know if Ms. Cowher or his remaining stay at home daughter have attended any games this season - there are direct flights between RDU and Pittsburgh) might strengthen a marriage but I doubt it.

The Cowhers clearly will not qualify for food stamps if Cowher quits so it is not as if he needs to continue coaching to pay the light bill - IMHO he has a choice to make and unless his marriage is shot I know which choice I would be putting my $$$ on.

Big D
11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
You also have to keep in mind the demanding schedule for a head coach. These guys work 16-18 hours a day!!! so not only is his family out of state but he has limited time to see them even if they were in pitt

Need4spd
11-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Boy, you got that right. It would be painful to see him coach for another team. Like you said, he's a Pittsburgh guy through and through. I would be genuinely surprised if he took a position at any point in the future with another NFL franchise. If he wants to go down to NC and coach in a pop-warner league, or coach girl's soccer, or the NC State football program for that matter, that's just fine with me, but I don't think we'll see him coaching anywhere else in the NFL.

Actually, the idea of Bill Cowher coaching a girl's soccer team really cracks me up now that I think about it. :sofunny:

HometownGal
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Whether Cowher decides to retire or not after this season, which I still don't believe he will, after reading this article that was written the morning of the SB, I have no doubt that this decision will be his and his alone. Kay Cowher appears to be a very supportive wife, which is quite understandable, as she was once a womens' professional basketball player herself and knows very well the rigors of being a professional athlete/coach.

http://www.newsobserver.com/122/story/396753.html

One must wonder how much longer Cowher will coach, especially should there be a Super Bowl victory today. He has coached the Steelers for 14 years and at age 48 may want to consider being a full-time dad.

"I don't know," Kaye Cowher said. "That's his job and his decision. When it comes to buying a house, or dealing with the kids, I'm happy to make the decision, but that will be his. In the NFL, you take it year to year."

NV STEELERS 723
11-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Dan, sorry I didn't get back to to you sooner......there is NO WAY Coach Cowher will ever coach a California NFL team...no way possible!

He is a "back east guy", with a SB ring.....nothing to prove now....you are really opening up a whole can of worms by suggesting it... its pretty far fetched!

I'm not saying he won't coach again....but it sure in the hell won't be for some new or established team in California!

NV STEELERS 723
11-16-2006, 11:28 PM
I think Cowher ends up with whatever team goes into LA. That team will have deep pockets and will pay what Cowher can demand on the open market. Getting a marquee coach like Cowher also will get the fans geeked up immediately in a market the NFL wants back badly.

Refer to my last post....your talking about Los Angeles (LA) .... or New Orleans ??? (LA) ?

jaysta
11-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Some fans seem to think Cowher will hang it up after this year. But I am not sold on that theory.....................

I couldn't agree with you more. Rumors are just that until something concrete is presented.

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Refer to my last post....your talking about Los Angeles (LA) .... or New Orleans ??? (LA) ?

It has to be Los Angeles. New Orleans already has a team, and the Saints aren't going anywhere.

-Mike

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Every marriage has its own dynamics but in most cases protracted separations do not make the heart grew fonder.

It seems to me that many folks around this board are underestimating the impact this is having on BC's life. I have seen posts asking "he must have some personal issues". Geez, you think so?

Every so often, my job requires me to leave my family for three or four days. After about one day, the excitement of being alone wears off, and I can not wait to get back home. You guys want to know why BC doesn't have the "fire"? He ain't getting no loving at home!!

-Mike

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I like your post Mike...good points..

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Dan, sorry I didn't get back to to you sooner......there is NO WAY Coach Cowher will ever coach a California NFL team...no way possible!

He is a "back east guy", with a SB ring.....nothing to prove now....you are really opening up a whole can of worms by suggesting it... its pretty far fetched!

I'm not saying he won't coach again....but it sure in the hell won't be for some new or established team in California!

Thanks for the feedback - this obviously is pure speculation, but this is the back story for my speculation.

The Steelers job is the best job Cowher will ever have and he knows it, but I think he believes he needs a coaching sabbatical for personal and professional reasons - the next job will be all about the Benjamins, which means either New York or Los Angeles.

I just think Cowher will get buckets of money thrown his way by the new LA franchsise (which should be arriving in LA around 2009-10 after Cowher has chilled in Raleigh for several years) that will need a face to get the fans pumped up. One potential drawback may be Cowher may not be able to browbeat the media in either of those markets like he does in Pittsburgh, but he will be making so much money he may not care. Since I think it will be a transplant franchise from Minnesota, San Diego, Jax, or New Orleans, Cowher will not face the added burden of building an expansion franchise from the ground up.

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I could see him in NY... and Pittsburgh Post Gazette writer Bob Smizik would be relieved he doesn't get scrowls from BC after a Steeler loss....

I just can't see him in Ca...the cold cuts in Cali just don't compare...no Isaly's chipped chopped ham...

All joking aside...Cowher has enough cash.... he is all about the winning, and the scrowl!

Thanks for you response Dan....

OX1947
11-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Cowher wants to get paid. And if he gets paid, he will stay for another 5 years.

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
BC is getting paid $ 4 mil a yr....How much is the "big tuna getting" ? 5 mil or 6 ... ? Cowher is from PA... I just don't think its about that.....

OK.... we can argue this till my computer turns off.... I'm just saying BC leaves this year.... divorces his wife Kaye.... and returns to the Black -n- Gold after 2 years.... he never really wanted to retire anyway... it was pressure from Kaye...

BC returns to the STEELERS .... then Ben Roethlisberger is the next Joe Montana....

its that simple....

SteelCzar76
11-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Coach is not getting a divorce (LOL). And he's not retiring at the end of this season.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

ChronoCross
11-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Simply put. Cowher made the comment that when his youngest daughter graduates, he will finish out his contract and retire from coaching football.