PDA

View Full Version : Porter: I've outplayed my contract

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 09:54 AM
A snippet....

"The deal they gave me, I never seen that type of money in my life. Signed it with no questions. Was very happy about it, still happy about it. It changed my life forever. (But) I've outplayed that contract.

If you're talking about the best outside linebackers in the game right now playing, if my name ain't mentioned in the top three, I'm upset about it. Because I definitely know I am. I don't care what three, in what order, everybody's got their own opinion. But you can't tell me I'm not in there.

What I do know, I'm not in the top 10 as far as getting paid, I'm not in the top 20 linebackers getting paid, middle and outside."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pit...s/s_479373.html

Buzz05
11-14-2006, 10:01 AM
hmm So I take it this could be Joey's goodbye speech?

kochmanski
11-14-2006, 10:10 AM
How many times has Joey been duped or completely wiffed this season? I'm not sure he's even one of the 3 best DBs on the Steelers roster! Haggans, Foote and Farrior seem more consistent.

Livinginthe past
11-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Im sure the Steelers can afford to give him a pay increase - if they think he is going to be worth it over the length of that extension.

Im sure Rooney et al are clever enough to realise you don't pay a guy because he overachieved in the past - you pay him for what you think he can produce in the future.

One bad, or below par, season doesnt mean his career is on a permanent nose-dive but I think he needs to produce a little more than a cheerleaders performance on the sideline and making guarantees that count for absolutely nothing.

NM

Ambridge
11-14-2006, 10:15 AM
You're not even the best linebacker on your own team Joey!!

James Farrior-68 Tackles 13 Assists 2 Sacks 1 INT

Clark Haggans-52 Tackles 16 Assists 5 Sacks 1 INT

Larry Foote-49 Tackles 13 Assists 3 Sacks 0 INT

Joey Porter-22 Tackles 6 Assists 4 Sacks 2 INT

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Joey, quick question. If you underplayed it, would you give money back?

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 10:43 AM
you don't pay a guy because he overachieved in the past - you pay him for what you think he can produce in the future.

Bingo. :cheers:

Bigsteve332310
11-14-2006, 10:56 AM
You're not even the best linebacker on your own team Joey!!

James Farrior-68 Tackles 13 Assists 2 Sacks 1 INT

Clark Haggans-52 Tackles 16 Assists 5 Sacks 1 INT

Larry Foote-49 Tackles 13 Assists 3 Sacks 0 INT

Joey Porter-22 Tackles 6 Assists 4 Sacks 2 INT

Yeah he hasnt had that great of a season but dont forget that he has been injured all season.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 10:59 AM
he has been injured all season.

Another reason to wonder if throwing money at Joey Porter is a smart move for this teams future.

stlrtruck
11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Joey, quick question. If you underplayed it, would you give money back?

I'm sure he had it in the bank just waiting to give it back if that happened!!

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm sure he had it in the bank just waiting to give it back if that happened!!

OJ is innocent. :wink02:

Mosca
11-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Click on and read the whole article. He doesn't sound unreasonable at all. He sounds very logical and realistic about it. IMO they tried to get him fired up about his contract and failed.

Tom

BigDuke6
11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Peesey has not had a great first half. He knows, we know it. But he is still a force out there and whoah to the OC out there who doesnt plan for him and make adjustments because of his presence. I hope Peesey has a great second half and spurs our defense onto a great run. I really dont think we will re-sign him though. I've said in this forum before, the Steelers have a history of not over-paying LBs on 2nd and 3rd contracts. Allowing them to sign elsewhere for bigger bucks. The list is long, Kendrell Bell, Earl Holmes, Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown, Kevin Greene.
Besides, Peesey is a Cowher guy. Once Cowher announces his intention to leave, so will Peesey.

klick81
11-14-2006, 11:47 AM
You know what, this organization better think long and hard about letting him go. Look what's happened since we let Randle El go. During the off-season, most of us though "HA. No problem. He's just a #3 receiver. We should be able to find a returner in a snap". Yeah...that really worked out.

All i'm saying is that if Joey's being somewhat reasonable and not asking for a ridiculous amount of money (which is was Randle El got in the end), we BETTER sign him. Those numbers posted above do not represent the real threat his prescense is.

Buzz05
11-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I would love to see Joey stay believe me I would. One of my favorite players. But I just dont think its going to happen....I didnt know he had an autistic daughter though.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I would love to see Joey stay believe me I would.

Same here.............................................. .............at the right price.

stlrtruck
11-14-2006, 12:39 PM
OJ is innocent. :wink02:

And Ray Lewis didn't stab anyone!

stlrtruck
11-14-2006, 12:41 PM
You know what, this organization better think long and hard about letting him go. Look what's happened since we let Randle El go. During the off-season, most of us though "HA. No problem. He's just a #3 receiver. We should be able to find a returner in a snap". Yeah...that really worked out.

All i'm saying is that if Joey's being somewhat reasonable and not asking for a ridiculous amount of money (which is was Randle El got in the end), we BETTER sign him. Those numbers posted above do not represent the real threat his prescense is.

But do you sign him at the expense of another player that may be better than him at this point. In the world of FA, you've got to cut your loses from time to time and keep those that may have a greater impact on your team.

I guess it comes down to how much is Joey asking and how much are the Steelers willing to give him! Let's just hope that both sides can find a mutual agreement, QUICKLY!

klick81
11-14-2006, 01:24 PM
I wouls HATE to see him wearing another jersey.

SalukiSteelers
11-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Porter is just going to have to accept that he will not get outrageous dollars to play the final few seasons of his career in a Steelers uniform. He's a great player who's had an off season but he's also approaching his 30th birthday. How long does he have left in the league? Five years tops?

JP is going to want to get paid up front, unfortunately for his fans, so an incentive-laden contract might not work. Too bad because I love the guy. Of course, I've already come to the conclusion that he'll follow the veteran linebacker exodus out of Pittsburgh and on to more money but less production. It's tough to argue against Pittsburgh's stance regarding linebackers because I don't think they've played as well statistically once they left the 'Burgh.

Should be an interesting offseason.

Justin Otstott
11-14-2006, 01:59 PM
what are we talking about here?? No Joey deserves a new contract...period! We lose Porter and im gonna jump off a roof!

MACH1
11-14-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm thinking he'll be gone after this season, Steelers wont pay him top 3 lb money.

BigDuke6
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Dont forget we've got Troy's contract coming up as well.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
While Porter is a good player he is also a product of the system. Pittsburgh's system makes good linebackers great! No he won't get paid what he wants. See Ya Joey. Thanks for the memories.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Contracts are not life achievement awards - if you are a top shelf NFL player it is apparent when you negotiate your second contract (after coming out of your rookie contract) and that is when you have your maximum leverage. Porter's leverage is in his rear view mirror.

When it comes to making impact plays, there are a lot more yesterdays than tomorrows for Porter. The salary cap forces choices to be made and the Steelers were not going to pay top 3 LB $ for Porter at the start of this season. After his performance ths year they would be idiots to do so.

83-Steelers-43
11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
His age and upcoming contracts (Ben and Troy). That's all I gotta say. For those who feel we should throw the bank at Joey.......well, thankfully we have the Rooney's.

clevestinks
11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
. I, I , I , I, This isn`t the way to get PAID in Pittsburgh. I will be sorry to see him go, just like I was Gildon. But here one LB goes and another step in.

Earl Holmes, Jason Gildon, Greg Llyodd, Levon Kirkland, all were great players here. But when the Steelers sent them packing, none of them had much success, the Steelers knew it was time. And they didn`t fit another system as well. Porter must remember he plays on a damn good defense, when you go to a lesser defense, you get double teamed every play. Alot of times in our SYSTEM our LB cannot be double teamed because you never know which one is coming

Stlrs4Life
11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Not sure giving him the money that he wants, and then have to worry about signing Troy, Ben, and Heath in the not too far future.

MJ5150
11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I like Joey. He has seven games to prove he is worth another contract from the Steelers. If he proves himself, the front office will take care of him.

I'm thinking this may be a good thing for the Steeler D....Joey playing with something to prove. Then again, he already thinks he is in the top three.

-Mike

SteelersHoss
11-14-2006, 08:21 PM
The best point to date so far on this topic. Most players don;t realize how good they have it when they are in a particulare situation. In all sports, they are all greedy. We have enough guys in the system to replace him. We replaced Gildon with Porter, we replaced Kirkland with Gildon and so on. We are the Steelers, we will always be fine.
. I, I , I , I, This isn`t the way to get PAID in Pittsburgh. I will be sorry to see him go, just like I was Gildon. But here one LB goes and another step in.

Earl Holmes, Jason Gildon, Greg Llyodd, Levon Kirkland, all were great players here. But when the Steelers sent them packing, none of them had much success, the Steelers knew it was time. And they didn`t fit another system as well. Porter must remember he plays on a damn good defense, when you go to a lesser defense, you get double teamed every play. Alot of times in our SYSTEM our LB cannot be double teamed because you never know which one is coming

SteelCzar76
11-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Contracts are not life achievement awards - if you are a top shelf NFL player it is apparent when you negotiate your second contract (after coming out of your rookie contract) and that is when you have your maximum leverage. Porter's leverage is in his rear view mirror.

When it comes to making impact plays, there are a lot more yesterdays than tomorrows for Porter. The salary cap forces choices to be made and the Steelers were not going to pay top 3 LB $ for Porter at the start of this season. After his performance ths year they would be idiots to do so.

Are you certain that he (Joey) is expecting,... much less demanding top 3 money ?

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I recall reading Porter say that before in other stories earlier this season, but this quote from the linked story that started this thread certainly indiactes that is where he is going with his salary expectations:

If you're talking about the best outside linebackers in the game right now playing, if my name ain't mentioned in the top three, I'm upset about it. Because I definitely know I am. I don't care what three, in what order, everybody's got their own opinion. But you can't tell me I'm not in there.

If you think you are a top 3 LB I bet you think you should be paid accordingly.

tony hipchest
11-14-2006, 09:38 PM
I recall reading Porter say that before in other stories earlier this season, but this quote from the linked story that started this thread certainly indiactes that is where he is going with his salary expectations:

If you think you are a top 3 LB I bet you think you should be paid accordingly.within the context of him talking about tommy maddox, i think hes just using that point as leverage as to why he should he should be extended NOW rather than having to wait. it seems like his #1 priority is knowing he will REMAIN a steeler. joey is 29 yrs old. jr seau is still preforming with the pats. i dont thing age is an issue with porter at this point. he reminds me of rod woodson more than any of the lb's we have let go in the past (save m. vrabel and c. brown who didnt get the opportunity of their 2nd contract with the steelers)

NV STEELERS 723
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I get a headache when Porter talks...

tony hipchest
11-14-2006, 10:35 PM
I get a headache when Porter talks...

holy cow. this was a great interview. did you actually read it?

Haiku_Dirtt
11-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah he hasnt had that great of a season but dont forget that he has been injured all season.

:coffee: Y'all ever wonder if Cowher is ready to severe the tie? Thanks for all the good times Joey.

That Colts game will forever be magical. Now? Disappearing act.

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:26 AM
If the Rooney family caves on this... I will be upset. You don't give money to selfish players. Ward showed class when he kept his mouth shut during the holdout, then came and played. As a result, he got his contract, got his SB ring, got his SB MVP, and probably cemented his place in the HOF.

Hey, PEAZY... Please... Go talk to Ward.

Hines0wnz
11-15-2006, 11:46 AM
He is gone after the season.

Elvis
11-18-2006, 07:51 AM
porter will not be back anyway:helmet: :tt02: :yawn:

Tankus_Maximus
11-18-2006, 06:11 PM
While Porter is a good player he is also a product of the system. Pittsburgh's system makes good linebackers great! No he won't get paid what he wants. See Ya Joey. Thanks for the memories.

I gotta agree with CapeCod. See ya' Joey!!

Get yer James Harrison jerseys now!!

floodcitygirl
11-18-2006, 06:20 PM
I gotta agree with CapeCod. See ya' Joey!!

Get yer James Harrison jerseys now!!So I'm guessing that you think that the Porter jersey I got for my son a few months back wasn't a good plan???!!! :tap:

MasterOfPuppets
11-18-2006, 06:23 PM
its time too put porter to pasture. he only shows up to play every couple of games. if he played as consistently as he talked,he'd be great.

clevestinks
11-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Porter is the next Greg Lloyd.

Awesome player, gave us a great eight years, but he's in his eighth year. Eventually, guys got old and lose a step. That's coming up in two, three years, and we know that. We're not going to give him a big multi-year contract. Washington or Dallas will do that.

I'll be sorry to see the guy go, but we do seem to have a knack for finding dominant linebackers, so I'm not worried. Thanks for all the good times, Joey; you truly helped carry on that tradition.

I agree somewhat. He is great, but he mas manufactured here. Our system gave him his name. Get paid but be loyal, and remember where you came from!:helmet:

Infamix
11-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Damn if he goes I will miss him, but at the same time I agree with SteelReserve. He lost a step, and the FO will find another good linebacker.

Tankus_Maximus
11-19-2006, 06:01 PM
So I'm guessing that you think that the Porter jersey I got for my son a few months back wasn't a good plan???!!! :tap:

As long as you didn't pay too much, it's all good. I still sport my Kirkland jersey from time to time.

Sucks when you just get your favorite players jersey and he's gone all of a sudden....I had my Fuamatuma'afala for like 3 days before he got cut. DAMNIT.

Preacher
11-19-2006, 10:59 PM
So I'm guessing that you think that the Porter jersey I got for my son a few months back wasn't a good plan???!!! :tap:

LOL... Last year before the Superbowl, I bought my first Steeler jersey. Whose jersey was it? Jack Lambert!

I know Lambert isn't going to be traded! LOLOL

floodcitygirl
11-19-2006, 11:04 PM
As long as you didn't pay too much, it's all good. I still sport my Kirkland jersey from time to time.

Sucks when you just get your favorite players jersey and he's gone all of a sudden....I had my Fuamatuma'afala for like 3 days before he got cut. DAMNIT.Honestly...I got a great deal on it for him and he LOVES it! That's worth every penny even if it's just for this year! :thumbsup:

floodcitygirl
11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
LOL... Last year before the Superbowl, I bought my first Steeler jersey. Whose jersey was it? Jack Lambert!

I know Lambert isn't going to be traded! LOLOLThat is probably the perfect jersey to own! I met him at a signing here in Cincy this past summer.....still a Steeler for sure! :thumbsup:

Tankus_Maximus
11-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Honestly...I got a great deal on it for him and he LOVES it! That's worth every penny even if it's just for this year! :thumbsup:

It's all good then.

You should see the looks I get when I wear my Ben jersey around L.A....the cholos don't know how to pronounce Roethlisburger.