PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Polamalu may play despite sixth career concussion

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Nooooooooo!

Polamalu is listed as questionable, meaning there is a 50-50 chance he will play only a week after being so disoriented he almost tumbled off the Steelers' bench while sitting by himself.

The neurologist (or veterinarian?) that is giving the Steelers medical advice on head injuries must have got his degree in exchange for mailing in cereal box tops.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_STEELERS_POLAMALU_PAOL-?SITE=PAGRE&SECTION=FOOTBALL

Elvis
11-14-2006, 04:46 PM
:tt02:
As much as I would love to see Troy play it is NOT worth him furthering his injury just for a game. I hope that the Dr.'s make the right decision this time.(Ben should not have played so soon):tt02:

BigDuke6
11-14-2006, 06:30 PM
If he's ready. Put him in. He's a pro. We have no wiggle room or the luxury to rest players if we are to have any hope for this season.

Atlanta Dan
11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
If he's ready. Put him in. He's a pro. We have no wiggle room or the luxury to rest players if we are to have any hope for this season.

1. We have no hope for this season - the battle for last place in the AFC North is not exactly the Super Bowl.

2. That appears to have been a major concussion, not to mention #6 for Troy - the more you get the more susceptible you are to future brain traumas.

3. He may be a pro but he may not be a pro for too many years if he is sent back in and gets more brain trauma - there are more seasons to come and I am hoping to see #43 for a number of seasons to come, not just this one.

Make him sit!

MACH1
11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I say sit him. The seasons allready pretty much in the tank, its not worth taking the chance of losing him forever just to try and salvage the season.:tap:

sumo
11-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah what the hell put him in:dang: :dang: :dang: :dang: :dang:

The NFL has got to pull it's head out with regards to this issue - anybody remember Nick Ferguson from the Broncos game??? - the geniuses on their staff put him back in the game one series after Hines Ward ear-holed him and knocked him unconscious - two plays after being put back in, he comes back to the bench stumbling like a drunken sailor - fast forward to today, Nick's still on their injured list with post trauma symptoms - it absolutely - is not worth the risk...and I'm speaking from a long term health perspective - not a "what if he gets injured again and has to then sit out three more games" - short sighted bull sh** perspective...

tony hipchest
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
The neurologist (or veterinarian?) that is giving the Steelers medical advice on head injuries must have got his degree in exchange for mailing in cereal box tops.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_STEELERS_POLAMALU_PAOL-?SITE=PAGRE&SECTION=FOOTBALL
:sofunny: its the browinies. not the ravens. i think we can win w/o him and its a 100,000/1 longshot we can make the playoffs anyways. the steelers missed that opportunity in the 1st half of the season.

remember last year at this point we were 7-2 and barely made it in (with some help on the final day of the season)

Elvis
11-14-2006, 07:09 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :helmet:
Bigpuke... I think you need to go somewhere else and pull someone else... Troy or No Other Player/Pro/college/high school/peewee or whatever sport is not worth taking the risk of someone/ anyone having that kind of future problems.. I dont know where you have come from but I wish you and your ideas would go back..:jawdrop: :monkey: :tombstone

Hawk Believer
11-14-2006, 07:10 PM
1. We have no hope for this season - the battle for last place in the AFC North is not exactly the Super Bowl.

2. That appears to have been a major concussion, not to mention #6 for Troy - the more you get the more susceptible you are to future brain traumas.

3. He may be a pro but he may not be a pro for too many years if he is sent back in and gets more brain trauma - there are more seasons to come and I am hoping to see #43 for a number of seasons to come, not just this one.

Make him sit!

I'll leave the first point to be debated amongst Steeler fans. But I think you totally hit the nail on the head with points 2 and 3. Cummulative traumatic brain injury is the NFL's dirty little secret IMO. I think the issue is probably more significant than steroids when it comes to player health (or at least equal to it) but it hardly gets any ink in the press. If Polamalu really has had as much damage as had bene described, I would definately push to have him sit out some time. The guy deserves a better fate than starting to become demented when he is in his 40s.

Steelers
11-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Stupid. Utterly stupid. It's the Clowns! Give him some buffalo wings and some Yeunglings and tell him to stay home and watch it.

SteelCzar76
11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Make him sit!

I couldn't agree more Dan. With the exception of having no hope for this season,... we're not finished just yet. I'm in favor of sitting Troy (against his will. LOL),....and starting Clark at SS and Anthony at F/S. (Smith may be able to make plays on the ball and create turnovers)
Troy's presence cannot be replaced,.....but i think this combination would give us the best opportunity for success based upon whom we have available.
The thought of Ty trying to match up against Winslow is madness.

"Hail Caesar,..........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

stillers4me
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Sit him......we'll need him for the playoffs........:thumbsup:

klick81
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
The fact that him starting is even a remote chance really kicks me in the balls. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

MJ5150
11-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Is this the same Steeler doctor who told us Big Ben was ready to play? Sheesh.

Have a seat my man Troy. You have been giving 110% all season, you need the rest right now. With the way he plays, he'll be banging helmets on the first play he is out there.

We were able to hold of the hard charging Saints with their lethal passing game without Troy. We should be able to manage against Charlie Frye without Troy.

-Mike

SteelersWoman
11-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Risk a man's (and one of our more valuable ones at that) entire future with us for one lousy game? PLEASE!

I don't care how "professional" he is, he's still human.

ANY Steelers "fan" who really thinks he should play has somethin seriously wrong with them, and perhaps they've been concussed a few too many times themselves....

Jacknut
11-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I remember when the Steelers were at the forefront of treating concussions. They were the first team to take nerological baselines of players before they began a regular season, so they could see how recovery fared. It's now standard practice.

Those preliminary scans are what convinced doctors to tell Merill Hoge to retire.

Steelersfan4life0655
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I remember when the Steelers were at the forefront of treating concussions. They were the first team to take nerological baselines of players before they began a regular season, so they could see how recovery fared. It's now standard practice.

Those preliminary scans are what convinced doctors to tell Merill Hoge to retire.

Yeah, Merill was talking about that a few weeks ago on the radio and he got pretty emotional about it, i wouldnt blame him for being emotional about retireing that way, it seemed that he was angry about it the more he talked about it.

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:34 AM
I'll leave the first point to be debated amongst Steeler fans. But I think you totally hit the nail on the head with points 2 and 3. Cummulative traumatic brain injury is the NFL's dirty little secret IMO. I think the issue is probably more significant than steroids when it comes to player health (or at least equal to it) but it hardly gets any ink in the press. If Polamalu really has had as much damage as had bene described, I would definately push to have him sit out some time. The guy deserves a better fate than starting to become demented when he is in his 40s.

Hawk, This may not mean anything to you (not sure how much you follow Steeler history)

But I only have six words for the rest of you....

MIKE WEBSTER
MIKE WEBSTER
MIKE WEBSTER

By the way... Did I mention.. MIKE WEBSTER?

BlacknGold76
11-15-2006, 01:55 AM
We definitely don't need to see Troy replace Steve Young as the poster child for concussions. I remeber one of Youngs concussions where he was face down taking the cerebal nap. I say rest Troy. This guy still has some good years left.:computer:

stlrtruck
11-15-2006, 08:12 AM
No game, no championship, nothing is worth the man's life, livelihood, and/or future time with family.
Regardless of record or standings, Troy needs to be parked on a bench somewhere in Pittsburgh on Sunday, not in Cleveland!

Infamix
11-15-2006, 08:24 AM
I hope the doctor does not clear him, because we all know what Troy will do. Even if he's barely functionable, he will go out there and give his all, and most likely hurt himself. We need him to rest.

Buzz05
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Sit him, the Mike Webster comparison was dead on. The man played through everything and in the end he lost everything because of it. Since when is a mans health and well being not worth as much as winning a football game. I understand the team has no wiggle room at all as far as a loss goes. But come on...the man has a wife and Im guessing kids either now or will have them. Dont take Troys health from them for one game against Cleveland. I dont care if it was against Baltimore...I would still say sit him.

BTW...has anyone else heard about these past concussions? I know I havnt

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Sit him, the Mike Webster comparison was dead on. The man played through everything and in the end he lost everything because of it. Since when is a mans health and well being not worth as much as winning a football game. I understand the team has no wiggle room at all as far as a loss goes. But come on...the man has a wife and Im guessing kids either now or will have them. Dont take Troys health from them for one game against Cleveland. I dont care if it was against Baltimore...I would still say sit him.

BTW...has anyone else heard about these past concussions? I know I havnt

I heard about them prior to his being drafted...

HometownGal
11-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Make him sit!

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dan. :cheers:

Doesn't matter who the opponent is - Troy needs to park his cute little behind on the bench for however long it takes him to completely recover from this concussion. Playing before his brain gets itself unscrambled is just plain dangerous, not to mention foolish. Trent Green has been out almost the entire season with a severe concussion and is just returning to practice this week. He took the smart road - let's hope Troy does the same.

Seeing and listening to Troy's lovely wife on several interviews and seeing how much of a positive influence she is on him - me thinks she might hog-tie him if he even thinks about playing! :thumbsup:

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Dan. :cheers:

Doesn't matter who the opponent is - Troy needs to park his cute little behind on the bench for however long it takes him to completely recover from this concussion. Playing before his brain gets itself unscrambled is just plain dangerous, not to mention foolish. Trent Green has been out almost the entire season with a severe concussion and is just returning to practice this week. He took the smart road - let's hope Troy does the same.

Seeing and listening to Troy's lovely wife on several interviews and seeing how much of a positive influence she is on him - me thinks she might hog-tie him if he even thinks about playing! :thumbsup:

I agree with everything... except the comments on Troy's butt!

floodcitygirl
11-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I agree with everything... except the comments on Troy's butt!Oh come on, Preacher! Even you have to admit that is one cute tushie! :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Oh come on, Preacher! Even you have to admit that is one cute tushie! :sofunny:

New forum rule...#73) Never say the ords preacher and tushie in the same sentence.

stillers4me
11-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Oh come on, Preacher! Even you have to admit that is one cute tushie! :sofunny:

I'm all for protecting Troy's tushie......and a fine one it is! :sofunny: