PDA

View Full Version : Saint's Bouncing Snap Illegal

Steelers
11-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Not that it affected the final outcome or anything, but I think if they were going to call that ticky-tacky, sock-pulling, Roughing the Passer, they should be consistent.

Per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061114), halfway down the page, next to the picture of the Asian hottie in the black dress.

Facing second-and-goal on the Pittsburgh 4, the Saints appeared to execute a bouncing direct-snap to tailback Deuce McAllister, who ran for the touchdown. Announcers debated whether it was a trick play or a botched snap. It was the latter, and the official Game Book lists the play as a fumble by center Jeff Faine. Overlooked -- there should have been a penalty! Direct-snapping to a running back is legal only if the quarterback never places his hands under center; once someone places his hands under center, only that person can receive the snap. Drew Brees was under center when this happened. Rule 7-3-4 states, "Any extension of hands by a player under center as if to receive the snap is a false start unless, while under center, he receives the snap.

Texasfan
11-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Wow, did not know that!

Preacher
11-15-2006, 01:08 AM
WOW... Well I guess you learn something everyday!

klick81
11-15-2006, 01:11 AM
Interesting to say the least...

Ward86XL
11-15-2006, 05:47 AM
I thought something was really strange about that play..

stillers4me
11-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Are you insinuating that the refs screwed up??????????????????????????????????????

Infamix
11-15-2006, 06:38 AM
That would have been huge if we lost

stillers4me
11-15-2006, 06:49 AM
So would Troy's interception they screwed up in the Indy game last year. I'm more than tired of hearing how the refs won our SuperBowl for us.

Infamix
11-15-2006, 06:58 AM
So would Troy's interception they screwed up in the Indy game last year. I'm more than tired of hearing how the refs won our SuperBowl for us.

I was in Indi for that game...I couldn't believe it when that ref reversed the call.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2006, 07:23 AM

I am too...but I take an evil joy in reminding these lombardi-impaired teams that we overcome bad calls like in the Indy game....and in truth overcame bad calls in the SB...The WORST call in that game was when Stevens caught a pass..tucked it in...turned...and the ball was knocked loose and recovered by our defense and then was ruled an incomplete pass....BUT WE OVERCAME!!!:tt02: :tt02:

Good teams overcome..bad teams whine for a year.

stlrtruck
11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I had a seahag fan pull up next to me yesterday and mumbled something about don't forget the refs. I didn't have time to get into with him about overcoming adversity. Just smiled and waved him off!!
I guess people will be complaining about this for years (or until their team wins one)!

skidboot
11-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Asian Hottie in a black dress!

Hines0wnz
11-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Indeed.....oh yeah, good factoid too! :bouncy:

Mosca
11-15-2006, 01:30 PM

Yeah, Michelle Kwan. Figure skaters are usually pretty hot. A couple years ago We had first row center ice tickets to Champions on Ice, right where the skaters start their routines. Nicole Bobeck... wow. Nancy Kerrigan... she might be goofy, but what a beautiful woman. Me being older, my favorite to watch, by far, was Dorothy Hamill.

Tom

MJ5150
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Living in Seahawk territory, everytime I am out and about in Steeler gear, at least one of these dopes makes a point to tell me that refs won us the SB. It is getting really annoying.

I just remind them about the dropped balls by Stevens. If he would have caught those passes, the Seahawks would have won. I also bring up the rip off call against Troy on that INT in the Inday game.

-Mike

Stlrs4Life
11-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Pretty interesting!