PDA

View Full Version : One win...Three losses

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One victory doesn't make a season, but it makes going to work the next week a lot better. The Steelers continued their pattern of win one, lose three when they beat New Orleans to end their second three-game losing streak of the season.

They'd like to break that pattern Sunday when they play in Cleveland.

"It gives them something to revert back to," coach Bill Cowher said of the Steelers' third victory in nine games. "It's something for guys who may have to play more; it gives them a game under their belt with which they can learn with and not feel like it cost them a win. There's some confidence you take from that.

"We have a long way to go. We're not playing football at a level at which we can play. We have to keep on building and, if we can make enough plays along the way to win these football games -- as close as they may be and no matter how this thing unfolds -- then you start to build a little bit of confidence and start to grow as a football team."

Injury updates

Center Jeff Hartings, who missed the past two games with a knee injury, could return to play Sunday. Cowher listed the Pro Bowler as questionable.

Linebacker James Harrison, who missed the past five games, was upgraded slightly this week to doubtful with a high ankle sprain. Wide receiver Willie Reid, though, is out and will miss his sixth game in a row with a foot sprain.

Besides Hartings, starting fullback Dan Kreider (hip), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (concussion) and backup linebacker Clint Kriewaldt are questionable.

Two players are probable: special teams co-captain Sean Morey (toe) and center Chukky Okobi (calf).

Cowher said Townsend, who left the game with a concussion and injured ankle, and safety Tyrone Carter, who said he was knocked out momentarily on the last defensive play for the Steelers, have been cleared medically of any lingering effects of their head injuries.

Browns on a mission

Cowher must have seen the comment made Sunday by Browns receiver Braylon Edwards, who referred to the Steelers' 41-0 victory in Cleveland last season and said "We're coming for the Steelers, that's point-blank, period."

Said Cowher, "We're going to play a Cleveland team that, quite frankly, there has been some reference by them to last year."

The Steelers have won their past five games against Cleveland and 11 of the past 12.

"They're a much better team than we played last year,'' Cowher said of the 3-6 Browns, tied for last with the Steelers in the AFC North Division.

Cowher questions penalty

Cowher has asked the league to review a penalty on defensive end Aaron Smith for hitting quarterback Drew Brees below the knees.

"It will be interesting to see how it's interpreted," Cowher said.

The league instructed its officials to emphasize penalties when a player hits a quarterback below the knees, a seeming reaction to Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in the playoffs last season.

Smith, though, barely touched Brees' shoe tops.

"You can't go into his knees with some kind of force in the lower extremities, which I'm all in favor of," Cowher said. "I know we're trying to protect those guys, which we should be doing. I didn't sense that Aaron was doing that. He came off the block, he fell into it and, at that point, he tried to grab him. My goodness, Drew Brees was like, 'Can you let go of my sock?'

stillers4me
11-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Cowher questions penalty

Cowher has asked the league to review a penalty on defensive end Aaron Smith for hitting quarterback Drew Brees below the knees.

The league instructed its officials to emphasize penalties when a player hits a quarterback below the knees, a seeming reaction to Kimo von Oelhoffen's hit on Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer in the playoffs last season.

"You can't go into his knees with some kind of force in the lower extremities, which I'm all in favor of," Cowher said. "I know we're trying to protect those guys, which we should be doing. I didn't sense that Aaron was doing that. He came off the block, he fell into it and, at that point, he tried to grab him. My goodness, Drew Brees was like, 'Can you let go of my sock?'

You go, Bill!! For gawds sake, don't put a run in the QB's pantyhose! :toofunny:

SteelersFreak
11-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Ah Bill's sense of humor comes out. Funny quote. The protection of the QB's is just ridiculous in this league.

Infamix
11-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Finally Bill shows a glimpse of his soul

HometownGal
11-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Atta boy, Bill, but unfortunately, the damage was already done and the Saints scored a TD after that horrendous call. Thank God we went on to win that game or I would have had to get out my voodoo ref. The penalty calling around the league seems to get worse every season - the NFL is turning a contact sport into basically a pussified flag football league. Holy shit - Smith may have gotten an ejection from the game and a heavy duty fine from the NFL if Brees had somehow broken a nail on that play. :rolleyes:

Hines0wnz
11-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Finally, 10 weeks in and Cowher shows some.....emotion.