PDA

View Full Version : Resign Davenport or draft a back?????

paw-n-maul-u
11-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Just seeing what you guys thought about this ... i personally think we need to draft a back in the early rounds regardless of what we do with davenport ... you can never have too many good backs ie. washington and Seattle injuries ...

Sharkissle29
11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
i like davenport a lot....once we get verron back for next year, we're set

Atlanta Dan
11-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Definitely bring Davenport back but it is time to draft a power back with a mid-round pick.

High rounds need to go to LB and OL

Stlrs4Life
11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Agree with Atlanta Dan, unless there is a no brainer at our pick at RB.

Infamix
11-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Atlanta Dan -

Agreed...we need young linebackers and defininately need to patch some offensive line holes. I don't know about drafting another runningback though, I think Davenport can get the job done. I know he is injury prone, but remember we will get Haynes back too. How's a fullback sound?

ARKIESTEEL
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Keep Davenport......Draft LB, OL, CB and maybe a QB Batch aint getting no younger

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Keep Najeh.

steelfan 92
11-15-2006, 06:39 PM
draft brian leonard from rutgers, he would be a good fit, he puts the team first. oh yeah how about some corners who can actually cover.

steelfan 92
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
i think we should keep excursion, nickname for mr davenport, what do you think

RoethlisBURGHer
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I like The Dump Truck,I say resign him and draft a back on day one.

Davenport is good,but is injury prone and not getting any younger...same with Haynes.

MACH1
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Keep Najeh, draft a RB, dump towel boy staley.:nerd:

paw-n-maul-u
11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
i wish they would get him the ball more so i could make a little better assesment ... hopefully we'll see a lot more of him this weekend against cleveland and their 28th run defense

tony hipchest
11-15-2006, 09:50 PM
i like the looks of willie, najeh, draft b. leonard to replace duce, and verron.

we always have 4 backs plus krieder. i cant see us only going with 3 next season and its obvious duce and his inflated salary will need to be replaced.

Dylan
11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
i would love to sign Davenport back. He showed he can play good. But i would like to take Tony Hunt from Penn State(6-2...230lbs) he would be a great power back to get and we could probably pick him up in the 2nd or 3rd round.

NV STEELERS 723
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Haynes would be coming back from ACL surgery....tough on anybody....much more a NFL RB...the draft will help us.

polamalufan43
11-15-2006, 10:31 PM
I say keep Najeh and I will drop down dead if we don't keep Willie around for a while. Verron has talent and years left in him, so I say keep him. As for Duce, well, he has had a long career, and I've liked him playing in the past, but unless I see improvment and a sign from above, then I would say drop him. We need room to train a few future Willie's and future Jerome's/Najeh's.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SuckItUp
11-15-2006, 11:44 PM
LB & OL first. Get the holes big enough and any back will look good.

SteelersWoman
11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
...Draft maybe a QB Batch aint getting no younger

True, but the way he's played, you'd never know it. His stats have been in the high 120's and 130's or 140's in the games he was in. As long as he's playin at such a high level what more could we ask for. I can't see him changin a whole lot in the next year...Besides--Charlie brings that "veteran" quality that's almost a necessity--you pretty much know what you're gettin when you put him in. With a new guy, it's a total risk.

We're givin up huge chunks of yardage though, allowin alot of 3rd down conversions, and way too many TDs because our CBs aren't coverin very well--we could definitely use some dependability at that position. Some added height wouldn't hurt either...

Oh--and our STs are just reallllly bad. We could sure use some help there as well.

SteelCzar76
11-16-2006, 02:56 AM
We've disussed what to do with a high pick this year in previous threads. But with that said,.......how about we move up in the first and get Bush to provide support for Willie. (whom (Parker) is the truth make no mistake)
This would give us back the pure power "clock killing" dimension.
(Yeah i said move up,.......we can still salvage this season):helmet:
Najeh is solid,...but he's a "stop gap" player. We need a young back of Willie's caliber whose strength's are punishment and explosiveness between the tackles.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Sharkissle29
11-16-2006, 03:14 AM
im sick of the steelers wasting picks on CB's.....i think we've figured out we cant draft a cornerback....taylor, ricardo, mcfadden.....i still have faith in taylor and mcfadden, but get rid of ricardo please

you guys ever think that maybe our corners have trouble covereing because we have no pass rush?

draft some LB's/DL

SteelCzar76
11-16-2006, 03:58 AM
im sick of the steelers wasting picks on CB's.....i think we've figured out we cant draft a cornerback....taylor, ricardo, mcfadden.....i still have faith in taylor and mcfadden, but get rid of ricardo please

you guys ever think that maybe our corners have trouble covereing because we have no pass rush?

draft some LB's/DL

I'm with you in regards to the importance of pass rush or (lack thereof). But that fact of the matter is we have not drafted any "True" corners.
The problem doesn't lay with drafting corners,.....it's a matter not drafting for quality but instead reaching like Mr Fantastic for the "bargain" project guys "with athletic upside".
We could use some "impact" at DE, Center, WR,... perhaps even at lB,...as well as a power counterpart for Willie.
But our greatest weakness remains our secondary with the LONE exception of Troy.

"Hail Caesar,........HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Haiku_Dirtt
11-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Who really knows?

Davenport is either "this" or "that". So far I love the guy. Hats off to the genius who decided that he knows ball control. Unless he becomes injury 'unprone' he status is unknown.

"Draft a back?" YEAH!!!

19ward86
11-16-2006, 08:55 AM
resign then draft a back...a cornerback!

skidboot
11-16-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd keep Davenport.

For the draft I'd be getting a TE. Having two big targets going downfield between the Tackles, having two big targets in the Red Zone, having two big bodies to help keep Roethlisberger upright sounds alright to me.

Get some OLB's. Haggans and Porter are both hitting 30. I thought we have neglected the position for two long. And lets not be drafting any A.Jackson or H.Richardson!

DE....get another.

HometownGal
11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I tend to agree with the consensus here - worry about OL, LB, DE - that's where we need the most improvement. Peezy may not be here next season due to salary issues as we all know and his shoes are going to be hard to fill (though he is not setting the world on fire this season thus far). Definitely keep Davenport - he has nice speed for such a big guy and appears to fit in nicely. I don't feel we need to draft a back just yet.

Most definitely dump the Duce. He's as useless as teets on a bull.

Livinginthe past
11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Drafting a big back is way down the list of priorities for the Steelers this off season.

I think they are already set in that area with Willie P, they can stick or twist with Davenport, maybe pick another cheap FA to spell the No.1 guy.

The Steelers will often be defined by the play of the guys in the trenches - d-line and o-line are priorities.

The QB situation is set in cement in terms of starter and back-up, maybe a late round gamble most probably a UDFA move.

LBer situation is ok, and their body of work is often defined by the 3 guys in front of them (see above) but an explosive pass rusher wouldnt go amiss - the Steelers allow teams to convert way too many 3rd and longs.

DB corps is another area of concern, not many of the recent selections have been too successful at holding down a starters spot or playing with any consistency.

NM

BigDuke6
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
I would think secondary and LBs should be where we spend our picks.
I wouldnt spend any top 4 picks on the OL. Despite their poor play lately, this is a solid unit. Same one to get us to the SB XL. Simmons is struggling but getting Kemo more reps will only make him a stronger replacement for next year. Chucky is now installed as the OC and Willie Colon is a real comer at OT.

HometownGal
11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
I would think secondary and LBs should be where we spend our picks.
I wouldnt spend any top 4 picks on the OL. Despite their poor play lately, this is a solid unit. Same one to get us to the SB XL. Simmons is struggling but getting Kemo more reps will only make him a stronger replacement for next year. Chucky is now installed as the OC and Willie Colon is a real comer at OT.

It used to be a solid unit, Duke, but it is fast becoming an aging unit. We do have nice prospects waiting in the wings, but I am hoping the Steelers can pick up an experienced FA or two to shore up the line on the right side until the youngsters can assume the positions.

memphissteelergirl
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
IMHO, the draft priorities should be for LB, O-Line, and D-Line. The age is starting to show in all of these areas and the FO should be thinking long-term. We should also think about a punter too-I like Gardocki but he's not getting any younger either.

As far as backs, I think we are OK...maybe we could pick up one in the later rounds or in FA, but I agree Staley should be released...he is a waste of roster space.

Midnightwriter07
11-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Having Parker as a # 1 back .. i just cant see them drafting anohter back that high who will only be used sparingly. Better to use that pick at a position who will be able to get reps and play and could be someone to help us out. I think if we did get a RB it will be in later rounds.. but they have no reason not to keep Davenport. He is doing well on KO returns too. I think a CB or LB will be our first pick.

Spidey
11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I can't see us drafting a back until about round 5 or 6.

O'Line or OLB is top priority!

Elvis
11-18-2006, 07:46 AM
:tt02: Nah... I dont see us drafting a running back that early either. I wouldnt mind seeing what Davenport can do with a full mini camp under his belt and for Gods sakes GET RID OF DUCE!!:coffee: