PDA

View Full Version : Three Steelers are Hall semifinalists

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2006, 03:56 AM
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, November 17, 2006

Former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson, former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene and Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm are among the 25 semifinalists for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2007.
Dawson played for the Steelers from 1988-2000.

Greene was in Pittsburgh from 1993-95 during a career that also included stints with the Los Angeles Rams (1985-92), Carolina Panthers (1996, '98-99) and San Francisco 49ers (1997).

Grimm, a Scottdale native, played guard for the Washington Redskins from 1981-91.

The list of 25 semifinalists will be reduced to 15 modern-era candidates.

That list, to be announced in mid-January, will increase to 17 with the inclusion of Senior's Committee nominees -- Gene Hickerson and Charlie Sanders.

The Class of 2007 will be determined Feb. 3, 2007, the day before Super Bowl XLI.

Between three and six members are selected each year.

HometownGal
11-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Dermontti should be a lock, but may not make it this time around - same with Kevin Greene. Russ Grimm should definitely make the final cut of finalists and I hope he gets in this time around. Good luck guys and we'll be waving those TTs for ya! :tt02:

stlrtruck
11-17-2006, 07:43 AM
I wonder when the Hall of Fame will build a Steelers Wing or better yet a Steelers building! I bet they'd get more traffic at the Steelers building than the other one!!

I also wonder if they have a limit of how many players from one team can make it into the hall of fame?

skidboot
11-17-2006, 08:28 AM
How many C's have actually made it into the HOF?

Webster, Otto, Stephenson......any others?

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Kevin Greene? I know he was good and all, I just never thought of him as HOF.

-Mike

tony hipchest
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Kevin Greene? I know he was good and all, I just never thought of him as HOF.

-Mike he has more sacks than any other linebacker ( since sacks were kept as a stat anyways)

sumo
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I still think it's a shame Donnie Shell is not part of the debate anymore - I like Dawson and Greene -but if I had to choose one Steeler right now it would be Shell

HometownGal
11-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I still think it's a shame Donnie Shell is not part of the debate anymore - I like Dawson and Greene -but if I had to choose one Steeler right now it would be Shell

Gotta agree with you there, sumo, but I think the biggest travesty of all is L.C. Greenwood not being inducted after 6 tries. The guy was a 6 time Pro-Bowler, has 4 Super Bowl rings and was just as much a part of the Steel Curtain Defense as Greene, White and Holmes for pity's sake! :shake02:

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
he has more sacks than any other linebacker.....

Whoa! I had to look that up. I had no idea. He was also on the 90's All-Decade Team.

Dang....how did I not remember this? I was in my early 20's when he played for the Steelers, so I can't use the "I was a little kid when he played" excuse.

-Mike

stlrtruck
11-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Whoa! I had to look that up. I had no idea. He was also on the 90's All-Decade Team.

Dang....how did I not remember this? I was in my early 20's when he played for the Steelers, so I can't use the "I was a little kid when he played" excuse.

-Mike
No but you could use the I was drinking a lot back then excuse (LOL)!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2006, 11:57 AM
...we'll be waving those TTs for ya! :tt02:

:jawdrop: ....OHHHHHH!... Terrible Towels !!:dang:

HometownGal
11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
:jawdrop: ....OHHHHHH!... TT's!!:dang:

Hell I'll wave them, too, if that'll help! :banana:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Hell I'll wave them, too, if that'll help! :banana:

OMG!!! the dancing banana!!....I miss the rep bananas!!!!!!!

sumo
11-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Gotta agree with you there, sumo, but I think the biggest travesty of all is L.C. Greenwood not being inducted after 6 tries. The guy was a 6 time Pro-Bowler, has 4 Super Bowl rings and was just as much a part of the Steel Curtain Defense as Greene, White and Holmes for pity's sake! :shake02:

Yeah I agree -it's hard for me to separate Greenwood and Shell - maybe I'm too sentimental for the old days but if I had to put all of the Steelers in order for the HOF, my list would be Shell-Greenwood-Dawson-Woodson - I really don't even consider Kevin Greene a Steeler - sorry if that offends anyone, but I would consider him a Ram - Greenwood and Shell were the low key guys always getting it done in the background - I always remember LC for SB IX - one of the most dominating games ever played by a Def Lineman - he so thuroughly dominated the line of scrimmage and Fran Tarkenton - by the end of the game Fran wouldn't even try to throw anymore, because LC was swatting everything he threw right back in his face - ok -I'll stop -I'm getting too sentimental here for the old dynasty...oh and Kevin Greene couldn't hold LC Greenwood's jock

BigDuke6
11-17-2006, 02:12 PM

Hey !!!! Thats MY excuse. Just like George Costanza has "its not you, its me" :flap:

I'm an "old guy". Donnie Shell wasnt called "the torpedo" for nothing and "Golden Shoes" Greenwood was just amazing to watch. He'd have had more sacks for himself but back then it was "meet you at the QB".
Either of them being omited from the HOF is just a crime.

Hines0wnz
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM

That's mine!

:beerbang: :chug:

PalmerSteel
11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Dawson should definately get in. anyone know how to get tickets to the HOF game or enshrinement? is it pretty difficult?

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Dermonti at my work....( McCarran Intl Airport )

He was very nice...asked me how long I've been a STEELER... I said " since birth".... he is a first class guy, and deserves to be in the HALL for his achievments in the NFL...I did not ask for his autograph.. I appreciate star athletes talking to me as a person rather than bugging them to sign...The only athlete I've ever asked to sign is Magic Johnson....he was personable too and I will never forget it...

MattsMe
11-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I also wonder if they have a limit of how many players from one team can make it into the hall of fame?

Not officially, but one of the judges, I think he's from SI, said he has a real problem with putting 19 Steelers in the Hall of Fame. I think this was in regard to Donnie Shell, but I'm not sure.