PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook Nov 17 2006

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Steeler

By The Associated Press
Friday, November 17, 2006

Steelers coach Bill Cowher announced that linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (back) would be back for Sunday's game in Cleveland, but he had little else to definitively declare about other injured players following Thursday's practice.
"I gotta see how they feel (today)," Cowher said. "Sometimes, they come in; they can get set back."

Four starters are listed as questionable for Sunday's game: Strong safety Troy Polamalu (concussion), cornerback Deshea Townsend (ankle), fullback Dan Kreider (hip) and center Jeff Hartings (knee). Cowher said Kreider "should" practice today and that Townsend would "try to," and that he was "encouraged" and "cautiously optimistic" about Hartings.

? As for Polamalu, "He's gotten better each day," Cowher said. "He'll take another test (yesterday) and maybe do another one (today). Again, we'll see how it feels, and we may end up making a decision come Sunday. We'll continue to talk to the doctors. All the feedback I've received has been very positive. If we're going to err, we're going to err on the side of being cautious."

Polamalu's take on his status hasn't changed. He still thinks he's playing.

"As of right now, yes," Polamalu said.

? Kriewaldt was upgraded from questionable to probable, and linebacker James Harrison (ankle) from doubtful to questionable. Cowher is eagerly anticipating the return of Harrison, who has missed the past five games but returned to practice yesterday.

"He's one of the top special-teamers, I think, in the league," Cowher said. "If we're able to get him back, it'll definitely be a lift. He's an integral part of this team."

? Townsend declared himself "day-to-day" and "very optimistic" about playing in Cleveland.

"The good thing is I have (today), Saturday and, hopefully, Sunday," he said.

As for the concussion he sustained against the New Orleans Saints, "I didn't have anything up there, anyway," Townsend said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digits

2 - Times the Browns have surpassed 20 points in their past five games against the Steelers -- all losses.

3 - Times the Browns have been held to 10 or fewer points in their past five games against the Steelers.

4 - Times the Steelers have surpassed 450 yards of total offense in a game this season.

38 - Rushing yards allowed by the Steelers in victories over Miami and Kansas City this season.

39 - Rushing yards gained by Browns running backs Jason Wright and Jerome Harrison, Cleveland's ball-carrying options in the event Droughns can't go, this season.