PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu on Pittsburgh

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Steelers' Polamalu Talks About Football, Life, Pittsburgh

POSTED: 4:41 pm EST November 14, 2006
UPDATED: 5:31 am EST November 15, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' Troy Polamalu is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against Cleveland after suffering a concussion in a win over the Saints, but that didn’t stop him from sitting down with WTAE Channel 4 Action News anchor Sally Wiggin.

Although Troy is questionable, there is nothing questionable about his passion for the game, his faith, his wife and learning.

Troy's devotion to his Christian faith is well known, and probably one of the reasons he is so popular. It is also a source of comfort and inspiration during the disappointing season, that has now gotten even more difficult for him, because of this injury.

"Whenever we face adversity, we are asking what is the reason," said Troy. "The beautiful thing and the hardest thing about it, is sometimes the answer is right in your face, and sometimes it will take years, even decades, to figure it out."

For Troy, that means practicing patience and practicing harder.

"There have been many times this season, more than I am too embarrassed to say, that the situation looked like somebody else made the mistake, and that is really embarrassing for me," said Troy. "Very embarrassing for them. But the very unique thing about this team is we don't have guys in the end zone saying, 'Hey. It's my fault.' I think that unselfishness is very valuable and very characteristic of this team."

Troy said he has been reading a lot, sometimes three books at once, and has studied such ancient religious philosophies as Taoism from China and Zen Buddhism from Japan.

"As an open-minded, loving Christian, there are seeds of truth in everything," said Troy. "Taoism. Buddhism. Islam. Judaism. Everywhere. Only is there 100 percent truth found in Christianity."

Troy and his wife, Theodora, have found Pittsburgh to be home, he said.

"It is always home to us," said Troy. "Truly. Truly home to us. It is a little more comfortable in the off-season, especially coming off a Super Bowl year, you know, so last off-season was really nice. When having a season like this year, you can get very angry fans, very angry teammates, angry everything, so obviously, it is a little different."

After this season, Troy will have only one year left on his contract, but he said he definitely wants to stay in the Burgh'.

"Yes I do, with all my heart," he said. "I do. Definitely."

"Pittsburgh is awesome," said Troy. "This country is built on the backs of the people of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was the model city in the history of the U.S. of blue collar. That is why my wife and I feel at home here, and that is why Pittsburgh people were very proud, and have to continue to be proud."

In the meantime, he has reaped the benefits of his national popularity, appearing in United Way spots for the NFL and the pinnacle of sports commercials, Nike. Troy said he didn't want to do the Nike spot, until his agent and his wife talked him into it.

"She doesn't force things on me," said Troy. "If it is that I have to get a Pennsylvania license because I have had a California license for three months, she'll take care of it herself, and I am just, 'Whatever.'"

And finally, when mentioning the hair, Troy said, it's all about growing it out and that it takes long, so he's keeping it.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/steelers/10319741/detail.html

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 06:49 AM
Gotta love this guy. Thanks for the props Troy. Glad you enjoy our city. :cheers:

HometownGal
11-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Just when I don't think I could love the guy any more than I already do, he pleasantly surprises me all over again! Troy is the creme de la creme of what an athlete (and a Christian) should be. Great read, 83 - thanks! :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
11-17-2006, 07:30 AM
What a mighty man of God!! I can only hope the Rooneys see his value not only on the field but in the community!!

83-Steelers-43
11-17-2006, 07:32 AM
They damn well better see the value in Troy. I just purchased his home jersey this year for $300 bucks...lol. Oh yeah, and he's a damn good S who will only get better over time.

Prosdo
11-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Great article. I am glad to hear Troy wants to stay. Awesome how he talked about the Burgh.

skidboot
11-17-2006, 08:33 AM
They damn well better see the value in Troy. I just purchased his home jersey this year for $300 bucks...lol. Oh yeah, and he's a damn good S who will only get better over time.

300 bucks!....... you do realize that is around 4 Million Canadian Loonies eh?

83-Steelers-43 = Mr.Moneybags!

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
What a stud. I believe what he says too. A lot of athletes say the right things to keep the media and fans off their back, but I really think Troy is speaking from his heart.

It's also cool to see him doing so well in a "small market" city. Many athletes want to play in the bigger cities so they get more attention, and a bigger piece of the media spotlight. Troy is just proof that if you are truly one of the best in the game, you will get your attention no matter where you play.

I doubt Troy hangs around this board with us, but if he does................THANK YOU!!

-Mike

Jeremy
11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Troy is a centerpiece kind of guy. He's the kind of leader, both football and civic, needed in Pittsburgh. He's only been here a few years and he already shows a tremendous amount of pride.

Plus I don't see him pulling any shady contract tricks. He's going to ask for what's fair and sign with us if we give it to him. Plus it doesn't hurt to have a USC guy telling all those USC guys how nice it is playing in the 'Burgh. It's one of those things that can help with free agents and with our beloved city's image.

floodcitygirl
11-17-2006, 08:54 AM
A true class act....gotta love that guy!

Atlanta Dan
11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Troy is an articulate guy and someone for whom I always will enjoy rooting.

I hope he stays in Pittsburgh for his entire career but, if not, I know he will have honorable reasons for leaving.

Steelers
11-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Troy's the man. I hope that whenever he's inducted into the Hall of Fame it's after being a Steeler, and only a Steeler.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Six concussions? I'm thinking back - as far back as his college games - and I can't recall 1 thru 5. The Quiet Warriors are usually the most lethal.

jtmill
11-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Only 5 concussions. 1 in high school, 3 at USC, this is the 1st at Pittsburgh.

polamalufan43
11-17-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm surprised that he hasn't had more. Anyway, I'm glad he's found a home here.
I guess it's like when your younger, all you want to do is leave the city your in, but then as you grow up, it's like "Why did I ever want to leave this place?"
Oh well, from what i've heard Troy is playing on Sunday and that's good news. You notice that every time he's interviewed the hair question always comes up?
Well, to clarify any idiot's doubts... HE IS NOT CUTTING IT!!!!!!!! END OF STORY!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!!!
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 03:05 PM
What a stud. I believe what he says too. A lot of athletes say the right things to keep the media and fans off their back, but I really think Troy is speaking from his heart.

It's also cool to see him doing so well in a "small market" city. Many athletes want to play in the bigger cities so they get more attention, and a bigger piece of the media spotlight. Troy is just proof that if you are truly one of the best in the game, you will get your attention no matter where you play.

I doubt Troy hangs around this board with us, but if he does................THANK YOU!!

-Mike

Hi Mike....so you don't think Troy will re-sign w/ us ?

RoethlisBURGHer
11-17-2006, 03:23 PM
What a class act!

Come on Steelers FO,make Troy Polamalu a Steeler for life!

I truly don't think Troy would leave over money,he seems like a more simple,down to earth guy that Joey Porter.He doesn't need a truckload of money that he wouldn't know what to do with.

MJ5150
11-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Mike....so you don't think Troy will re-sign w/ us ?

No way. He definitely will go to the Browns, or maybe the Lions instead. :flap:

-Mike

Jeremy
11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Come on Steelers FO,make Troy Polamalu a Steeler for life!

When the time is right, they will.

NV STEELERS 723
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
No way. He definitely will go to the Browns, or maybe the Lions instead. :flap:

-Mike

Mike he loves Pittsburgh...I just don't think so....agree to disagree