PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Daily Question (Heinz Field Turf Related)

83-Steelers-43
11-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Ed Bouchette's Daily Question
Sunday, November 19, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Question: During the Pitt-West Virginia broadcast the ESPN commentators joined the crowd in stating what a mess the turf at Heinz Field is. With New England apparently having been shamed into putting in FieldTurf, is there any chance that the league may "encourage" the Steelers to replace the bog on which the Steelers currently play with something that can withstand the wear and tear of pro, college, and high school games? -Dan Caldwell, Atlanta, Ga.

BOUCHETTE: I'm a proponent of the new style of artificial turf, and I think the Steelers should install it. However, both Bill Cowher and the Rooneys insist the players prefer the grass they have now, mainly for safety reasons. Yet, in NFL Players Association surveys, the players consistently rank the Heinz Field surface near the bottom of the league, below that of many artificial truf fields. If they installed a new turf, they could schedule more events there -- high school games, concerts, soccer games and perhaps even offer the field for a unique small college double-header involving teams from Western Pennsylvania. You think it's bad now, wait a few weeks. There were seven games scheduled over a 10-day period, including Pitt-WVU, five high school championship games and Pitt-Louisville.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06323/739223-367.stm

Sharkissle29
11-19-2006, 03:57 PM
i hate the field turf, i dont think the steelers would ever install it...and i would be pissed if they did. the games meant to be played on grass, what fun is it to watch clean uniforms the entire game?

X-Terminator
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Rip it up and either install FieldTurf, NexTurf, that stuff they play on at WVU or find a natural grass that will hold. The condition of that field is absolutely inexcusable and embarrassing. The Browns use real grass - find out what that is and try it out.

axg8746
11-19-2006, 10:31 PM
i hate the field turf, i dont think the steelers would ever install it...and i would be pissed if they did. the games meant to be played on grass, what fun is it to watch clean uniforms the entire game?

Exactly...the only thing I hate more than field turf is dome stadiums (except for Arizona because of the heat). But the Steelers do need to figure something out, find out what other teams with grass fields are using.

Steelers
11-19-2006, 10:38 PM
I love Heinz, because it's dynamic and always changing. The elements: sun, rain, snow, mud, are all possible.

Definitely need a different kind of grass though.