PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking, maybe Nate and Cedrick aren't so good.

Mosca
11-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Ben had all the time in the world today, and those guys couldn't get open against one of the lesser defenses in the league. As a matter of fact, that has happened pretty often this year. I'm getting the feeling that this is as good as these two guys get. The only thing I could say to the contrary is, watching on TV doesn't give us the chance to see the whole field. So this is a guess based on the results.

It's been a REALLY long time since I've seen one of those "college in bounds" plays in the pros; Wilson didn't even give a half-hearted shot at getting both feet in.

I'm going to say, the #1 priority for '07 is landing a field-stretching WR to complement Ward. There are a few really great ones coming up next year.

Tom

Tankus_Maximus
11-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I gotta agree with you there Mosca. A couple of WR & some OL, definitely.

The_Professor
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't agree... we need to address secondary/ o-line and maybe linebacker before we get another receiver... I'm not saying getting Calvin Johnson for example wouldnt' be nice, but it shouldn't be our top priority.

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
As I recall (hope?), Wilson will not be a huge hit to the cap if he is let go after this season, which should be the case - every time he screws up he has some remark for the official. Hate to burn more high picks on a WR but I guess they will need to draft another one.

Holmes has potential & Nate might become a tolerable #3 receiver.

Has anyone ever heard if Willie Reid will get back on the field this season? Not much production out a #3 pick, but then Anthony Smith getting playing time last week and making that bomnehead play on a punt return today has not shown much either.

tony hipchest
11-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm going to say, the #1 priority for '07 is landing a field-stretching WR to complement Ward. There are a few really great ones coming up next year.

Tomits not like we havent tried. i sure wish we couldve found out what w. reid had to offer.

t. ginn jr?

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
its not like we havent tried. i sure wish we couldve found out what w. reid had to offer.

t. ginn jr?

I admit they are loaded, but Ginn may not even be the best receiver on OSU.

With other needs, probably look for a WR in 4th round or later. OL and LB are bigger needs.

Livinginthe past
11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Ben has much the same problem Brady has in New England - his WR's dont make any plays for him - they dont pull in bad throws and they drop momentum killing passes.

I dont think Pittsburgh need a burner (look at Colston) but they need someone with hands, who is intelligent enough to run routes and make a break when a play is breaking down.

Ben R makes his receivers what they are, and like Brady if he had a little more help he would be awesome.

NM

Prosdo
11-19-2006, 05:59 PM
I see the Offensive line being a top priority. They can find good O-linemen a bit later in the draft though. I would like to see them pick up a power runningback. I could also see us picking up a tall fast WR.

clevestinks
11-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I like the corp we have. Holmes finally stepping up. HInes is a warrior. Cedric had some big catches today. And Washington needs a little more time. We need to get Heath into it more.

Petesburgh66
11-19-2006, 06:19 PM
WR isn't the main problem with this team. The secondary is. They need a shut down corner.

ROYND1
11-19-2006, 07:30 PM
I think we're fine with Holmes, he's starting to come around.Washington has potential,Reid will be good,Wilson needs to be 5th string or cut.The big ????? is why don't we use Heath more???We need some GOOD young linebackers,especially outside.Porter and Haggans just haven't been cutting it.I love Porter but I've just never been impressed with Haggans.We don't get sacks as much as we use to and that's killing our D.

tony hipchest
11-19-2006, 07:34 PM
haggans had a HUGE sack late in the game. it seems like many steelerfans want our 4 linebackers to play like our 3 DL. fact is we DONT rush 7 players on every down.

every so often our lb's are required to drop back in coverage.

ROYND1
11-19-2006, 07:40 PM
I understand they have to drop into coverage but I've seen both guys get blocked one on one alot this year.When that happens we can't cause the matchup problems that our defense needs to be succesful.I don't hate Haggans I just think we could do better.And what's up with Porter getting pushed to the ground by Winslow?? Man that was embarassng.

steel#1
11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Porter made up for it with 1/2 sack and 8 tackles, plus he is ussually double covered. But could we please get Paul Puzluzny from Penn State in the draft, and maybe some more dominant offensive linemen.

Mosca
11-19-2006, 08:04 PM
I like Holmes. I think he's going to be really good, his confidence is growing every week. The other two guys, you could put them in a bag with the middle 50 guys in the league and pick at random to get guys that might be better or might be worse.

I'm one of those who thinks there's nothing wrong with our secondary that getting off the field every now and then wouldn't help; they've played poorly in games where the offense has turned the ball over a lot. It happens.

I think part of what we're seeing with the secondary is a change in the way the game is played, with more talent right now on offense. The Mannings, Palmer, McNabb, Brees, Rivers, Roeth, et al... when they have people to throw to, no one is going to be "shut down" in the sense of containing the other guy for the whole game. We have a real shooter in Roethlisberger, but he needs targets. Personally I think about a speed guy, but Marvin Harrison II , Hines Ward II, Larry Fitzpatrick II would be just fine with me. Linemen and linebackers, you can get top quality guys farther down the ladder or sign them FA.

Tom

NV STEELERS 723
11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
#10 should start at WR...As for next year, who knows where we will be as far as the draft selection...YES... we need to grab some OF linemen!

ROYND1
11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Puzluzny would be AWESOME!!!:tt02:

Porter made up for it with 1/2 sack and 8 tackles, plus he is ussually double covered. But could we please get Paul Puzluzny from Penn State in the draft, and maybe some more dominant offensive linemen.

ChronoCross
11-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Offensive Linmen, atleast 1 WR, and take a really good look at DBs we could possible draft. There is some growing concern around Washington and Wilson, Holmes still has some busted routes but is starting to look better. Wish Holmes could of been there for all of camp, I bet it would of made a world of difference on his play.

Like some others have said in other post on other boards and to this board, what about Miller. Who was a big key in are season last year and thru the playoffs. Miller has great hands and is a big solid target and it seems to me were not using him the way we should. Miller when he gets his hands on a ball, he will run a person over, make a big play. Just hope we see more of him now.

With Holmes playing better might be a big key and help stretch the field and if they work miller in more will help Ward get open more and hopefully Washington and Wilson hold onto the ball more.

Vs Browns the first half I wished we changed out all of are WR's but they finally got back on track. It started to look like the beginning of are season out there.

So lets hope everything keeps on a up and we make a solid run next weekend and win the game. I would like to see the run game more next weekend. But if are defense does not get off the field because there not stopping the other offense, hurts.

MACH1
11-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Like some others have said in other post on other boards and to this board, what about Miller. Who was a big key in are season last year and thru the playoffs. Miller has great hands and is a big solid target and it seems to me were not using him the way we should. Miller when he gets his hands on a ball, he will run a person over, make a big play. Just hope we see more of him now.

He might be doing a little more in the blocking dept. trying to keep Ben from getting killed.

Preacher
11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
He might be doing a little more in the blocking dept. trying to keep Ben from getting killed.
I could be wrong... But I don't think many of the sacks were actually his fault.

MACH1
11-20-2006, 12:41 AM
I could be wrong... But I don't think many of the sacks were actually his fault.

I didnt mean Miller was causing sacks...I think he's being used as a blocker more than as a receiver. :smile:

Hines0wnz
11-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Quick fixes are not made by a flashy WR or RB but maybe if the playcalling was better then Ben wouldnt be under pressure so early and often. A safety valve like Willie slipping into the flat or Heath over the middle should be utilized more. Dont get me wrong I'd love to see the Steelers draft Ted Ginn Jr (GO BUCKEYES!) or Smith from USC but......it isnt going to happen and well know it. We've drafted great WRs over the years (Burress, Randel El) but Ward is the only one that fits the Steeler mentality. How many WRs these days want to go to the pros and block for half the game? If you want money you go to mediocre/crappy teams, if you want to win championships then you go the teams with stability (i.e. NE, Pittsburgh). Kids want the money and fame because T.O. and CJ get headlines and that's all that matters!

Willie Parker was undrafted 3 years ago and is having a great season after the Bus' retirement. Why is everyone so quick to dump him? That is really getting old. New blood in the LB corp, a new OL man and a great DB to complement Troy are the needs.

Mosca
11-20-2006, 07:54 AM

Yep Preach; that's the exact point of the post. Ben's getting sacked and the line is looking worse than it is because guys aren't running crisp patterns and getting open.

Tom

Infamix
11-20-2006, 09:03 AM
The Browns secondary is actually good, believe it or not. Their run defense is horrible, but their pass defense is underrated.