PDA

View Full Version : Game-winning TD wasn't drawn up that way

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Game-winning TD wasn't drawn up that way

CLEVELAND - Steelers coach Bill Cowher wanted to savor the moment.
Thus, when asked if quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's game-winning 4-yard touchdown pass to running back Willie Parker with 32 seconds left in the fourth quarter was copied from offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt's playbook, Cowher delivered the best line of his news conference.

"All the way," Cowher said, with a smile, his eyes twinkling.

Translation: "Are you kidding me?"

Roethlisberger's improvisational touchdown pass was the schoolyard equivalent of drawing up a play in the dirt.

"I was looking at Hines (Ward) pretty much the whole way. He's the go-to guy down there," said Roethlisbger, who orchestrated two touchdown drives in the closing minutes.

The second -- and final -- drive consisted of Roethlisberger marching the Steelers from their 23 to the Cleveland 4, with the Steelers covering 73 yards in 10 plays and taking 2 minutes, 27 seconds off the clock.

The combination of the spread offense and no-huddle set put the Browns on their heels and opened the field for Roethlisberger.

"We threw the ball around. The line gave the receivers time to get open and for me to throw the ball," said Roethlisberger, who was 6-of-8 passing for 72 yards on the final drive.

Faced with second-and-goal and only 39 seconds remaining, Roethilsberger, not operating from the shotgun for only the second time in the drive, took the snap and looked quickly for Ward.

But there was a problem with Ward being the intended receiver on the play.

"The guy tackled him out of bounds," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger's mindset shifted immediately from passer to runner.

"I was getting ready to run it," he said.

Just about that time, Parker, whose assignment called for him to remain in the backfield as a blocker, realized Roethlisbeger was in trouble.

Parker also realized that he could leak out of the backfield as a receiver. That's because one of his teammates was helping out against a Cleveland defender Parker was supposed to block.

"There's probably zero chance I was going to get the ball," Parker said.

Those odds improved in a hurry.

When Roethlisberger scrambled around in the backfield, Parker said his eyes "started getting bigger."

With Parker now in his line of vision, Roethlisberger became a passer again.

"I just kind of flipped it to him," Roethlisberger said.

The play caught Cleveland off guard. Poised to stop the pass, and then forced to treat Roethlisberger as an emergency running back, the Browns had no one assigned to cover Parker out of the backfield.

Parker was wide open.

Ward said the touchdown pass worked to perfection.

"Great call. It was going to me, and they bracketed me," Ward said. "I can't say enough about Ben. He rose to the occasion and made a big play when it counted."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_480601.html

klick81
11-20-2006, 01:54 AM
I think my heart was at my throat just around this time...freakin' amazing.

Preacher
11-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Man...

do we ever have a talented team.

I was actually really down after the win, because we should have thumped them. However, looking over the last few minutes again and again, I am getting very excited about this team.

If we can just put it together, nothing can stop us (except our record in the first half of the season).

Hines0wnz
11-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Man...

do we ever have a talented team.

I was actually really down after the win, because we should have thumped them. However, looking over the last few minutes again and again, I am getting very excited about this team.

If we can just put it together, nothing can stop us (except our record in the first half of the season).

I cant help but agree with you. As bad as this team has looked all season, when they have it together they look very unbeatable, like late last year. It gives me hope that next year will be a dominating one for our Black and Gold.

SteelersWoman
11-20-2006, 03:01 AM
I loved that play! Absolutely awesome thinkin on the run by Ben AND Willie!

stillers4me
11-20-2006, 06:32 AM
I think my heart was at my throat just around this time...freakin' amazing.

You mean you were still upright ????? I think my head was between my knees............no I think I remember watching it happen.............

We DO have a talented team.........so much was wasted this year........sigh.........next year........starting fresh!! Here's to an injury free and uneventful offseason!! Look out!!!!!!! :tt02:

Indy_Steelers
11-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I was watching the game with som Browns fans and I thought one of them was going to trow up after that play. I can not understand why though, they should be used to losing to us. If I am not mistaken the all time series is now 51-51.

HometownGal
11-20-2006, 08:49 AM
That play was a stroke of genius! I hate shuffle passes - they can be very dangerous, but this one caught the Clowns off guard and Willie trotted right in for the score - great heads up play by Ben and FWP! :tt02: Kudos also goes to the OL for their contributions throughout the game yesterday, as well as on that game winner! :thumbsup:

WisconsinSteelerMan
11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
:tt02: I am SOOO Freakin tired of all the nay-sayers on this board... Next year, smextyear... :jawdrop: :blah: :blah: :banging: :banging:

THIS SEASON IS NOT OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY SINGS!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
And in my opinion, she hasn't even started warming up her pipes yet. Until we are statistically OUT of this season, I will Refuse to give up hope!!! :tt02: :tt02:

An ugly win is still a win... We have shown that we can contend... look at KC... We have shown that we can implode upon ourselves...look at Oakland.

YA GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tt02::tt02:
Here we go Steelers...HERE WE GO!!!!!:tt02: :helmet: :tt02: :helmet: :tt02:

Haiku_Dirtt
11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
:she hasn't even started warming up her pipes yet.

I actually heard the warm up in Oakland. This team can beat every team left on our schedule including the Ex-Colts twice. And the bi-polar Panthers.

If we can only stop killing ourselves...

Here's to 6-0. :cheers: