PDA

View Full Version : The Ravens worry me big time

Infamix
11-20-2006, 08:22 AM
for two reasons.

B.J. Sams will rape our special teams coverage....and McNair always found a way to beat the Steelers as a Titan. If our offense plays like they did in the 4th quarter for the whole game, I see us beating them.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
for two reasons.

B.J. Sams will rape our special teams coverage....and McNair always found a way to beat the Steelers as a Titan. If our offense plays like they did in the 4th quarter for the whole game, I see us beating them.

I agree Sams is going to be a pain in the ass this Sunday. The Steelers coverage units on special teams are horrible. Yes Stever McNair has always been a thorn in the Steelers side. But I still think the Ravens are overrated even if they keep winning. I think the Steelers can beat them. But the Steelers can't start slow like they did against the Browns or its going to be a long day for them.

HometownGal
11-20-2006, 08:56 AM
But the Steelers can't start slow like they did against the Browns or its going to be a long day for them.

Yep - I agree - the Ravens are over-hyped and the Steelers can and should beat them, but they are going to have to bring it for 60 minutes, not just 15 in this game. Coming from behind this week would be a lot more difficult than it was against the Clowns.

MACH1
11-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Need to get a lead on them and make them play from behind and maybe they would make some mistakes. Got to not turn over the ball too. And its going to be hard to run againt them, need to do a better job their D's a little better than the clowns.

Tankus_Maximus
11-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Gonna have to get the run game going early. Even without Ray Lewis that D line is tough. Kelly Gregg is one of the more underrated NT in the league right now.

Whiz is gonna have to be patient and happy with those 3-4 yd pickups.

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I think this would be a good game for ma-Najeh to get into game a lot more. Giving him some carries would beat up the defense some and then putting in FWP would make the defense winded.
This might also be a good week for Whiz to install the No-Huddle against the ratbirds.

Our defense also can't allow players to sit down in the zone. They also need to get off the field on 3rd downs. Pile of Heap could be a big problem for our secondary and LBs.

LeBeau has to find a way to get to McNair early and often!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2006, 09:30 AM
I think this would be a good game for ma-Najeh to get into game a lot more. Giving him some carries would beat up the defense some and then putting in FWP would make the defense winded.
This might also be a good week for Whiz to install the No-Huddle against the ratbirds.

Our defense also can't allow players to sit down in the zone. They also need to get off the field on 3rd downs. Pile of Heap could be a big problem for our secondary and LBs.

LeBeau has to find a way to get to McNair early and often!

This might also be a good week for Whiz to install the No-Huddle against the ratbirds. I agree with this statement bigtime. The Steelers really should think about spreading the field. That would help to create some running room against that Ravens defense for Willie.

Livinginthe past
11-20-2006, 09:58 AM
You dont see the Chargers 'softening up' opposing D's with a RB like Turner before letting LT get his carries - why should Davenport start ahead of Willie?

Dont get me wrong, Davenport is a solid option, but no more than that - Willie is the guy who needs to get 25+ touches - he should only be off the field when he needs a breather.

NM

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 10:01 AM
Davenport left the game in the 3rd Q yesterday (groin) so both Ward and Davenport are issues.

Dare we hope Willie Reid makes an appearance?

I agree, as I stated in other posts, that kick coverage will be a disaster waiting to happen yet again.

Next Sunday will either officially end any remote playoff chance this season or spark a glimmer of hope since the Ravens go to Cincinnati and then to KC while the Steelers play Tampa Bay and the Browns at home in the following 2 weeks. If the Ravens are going to collpase, it has to start now.

Elvis
11-20-2006, 10:03 AM
:tt02:
We are gonna be involved in a dog fight this weekend against the Ravens thats for sure. I think that our passing game is gonna be key.. but Ben must be very cautious against the most agressive offensive defense in the league. This defense makes more plays than I have ever seen as far as trying to score every time they get the ball in their hands. The Ravens are as good as their 8-2 record, dont be fooled. They are tough and this is gonna be our most physical game yet. We must also protect Ben is this one better than we did against the less aggressive Browns defense. And No Turnovers!!!:helmet: :wave:

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 10:37 AM
You dont see the Chargers 'softening up' opposing D's with a RB like Turner before letting LT get his carries - why should Davenport start ahead of Willie?

Dont get me wrong, Davenport is a solid option, but no more than that - Willie is the guy who needs to get 25+ touches - he should only be off the field when he needs a breather.

NM

I'm not saying start a head of him, I'm saying get more playing time. We obviously brought him in to punish D's and he's not doing that now. I think against a team like the ratbirds you need to have a 1-2 punch to keep them on their toes. Their defense is very aggressive and to keep them guessing would be an advantage for us!

Livinginthe past
11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm not saying start a head of him, I'm saying get more playing time. We obviously brought him in to punish D's and he's not doing that now. I think against a team like the ratbirds you need to have a 1-2 punch to keep them on their toes. Their defense is very aggressive and to keep them guessing would be an advantage for us!

Ok.

I really think Davenport is pretty over-rated though, he has never rushed for more than 420 yards in a single season and even though he 'character issues' I dont remember anyone else fighting the Steelers for his signature.

Willie has proven to me this year that he can do everything Davenport can do, but better - but I agree that he should be 'spelled' now and then to keep him fresh.

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a single situation where Davenport is preferred over a 'good-to-go' Willie Parker.

NM

BigDuke6
11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
IS it not time to fire our ST coach ???

HometownGal
11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
In my opinion, there shouldn't be a single situation where Davenport is preferred over a 'good-to-go' Willie Parker.

Sure there is. We need to carry on the Bus' tradition of making a turf pancake out of Stab-It Ray. Who better to give Ray Ray a facial tatoo than Davenport? :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
IS it not time to fire our ST coach ???

I think only offensive coordinators get fired during the season :smile:

The special teams coach should have a real estate agent on speed dial. Regradless of whether Cowher stays or goes, that guy will not be in Pittsburgh next season.

Livinginthe past
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Sure there is. We need to carry on the Bus' tradition of making a turf pancake out of Stab-It Ray. Who better to give Ray Ray a facial tatoo than Davenport? :tt02:

Wouldnt a patented 'Willie Parker hand off' work just as well for you?

Maybe Willie could slow his sped just enough to make Lewis run the length of the field behind him.

NM

Haiku_Dirtt
11-20-2006, 11:51 AM
If we play like we have all year then even the Browns worry me. Oh. Ooops. They already did.

I'm not worried anymore. When you have little to lose you have little to worry about. We should be playing the Ravens unafraid and relentless.

BUT. As long as our receivers are disguised as AVP Pro Beach Volleyball players the light at the end of the tunnel will be the final curtain on the 2006 season.

SteelerFanInCA
11-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Although the clowns\steelers rivarly may have seemed to lost a spark, the ratbirds\steelers rivarly is heating up. I think our guys will be just a little more fired up this weekend. The ratbirds are playing great buy we can beat just about anybody when we bring our "A" game.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2006, 12:42 PM
I think only offensive coordinators get fired during the season :smile:

The special teams coach should have a real estate agent on speed dial. Regradless of whether Cowher stays or goes, that guy will not be in Pittsburgh next season.

Well I hope Keven Spencer is fired. The special teams have been terrible all year.

ChronoCross
11-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Ratbirds have been coming back on teams, so jumping on them early is always good but are team will have to fight all the way to the end on this one. It will be a shoot out to the end if are Offense shows up early and not late. Defense is one of the big keys here for us, we cannot allow the Rats to control the clock like other teams have been doing to us. Defense has to get out there and cause 3 and outs not sit back and wait 8 mins possible get a fumble are the other team scores. Special Teams has to make adjustments, this is probably one of the worst Specail Teams I have seen in awhile for us. I would like to see the run game get started early followed by no huddle and spread there DB's all over the place. Make there defense second guess. Give there defensive Coord. a big freakin headache all 4 quarters. WR's when the balls hit there hands they need to hold onto them balls, all of them. And I would love to see Heath Miller involved in this game big time and give us that extra threat on the field.

HometownGal
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Wouldnt a patented 'Willie Parker hand off' work just as well for you?

Maybe Willie could slow his sped just enough to make Lewis run the length of the field behind him.

NM

Well- that would work, of course. :wink02: OK - I'll take both scenarios and be happy as a clam! :banana:

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Well- that would work, of course. :wink02: OK - I'll take both scenarios and be happy as a clam! :banana:

I don't care what scenario they run as long as it ends with the Steelers getting the W.

In Cowher We Trust
11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
i think we can take them

Infamix
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Unless the runningback is William the Fridge Perry, a "big rb" can't beat up on a whole defense. LITP is right, Davenport should be in there to spell Willie and give him a breath, nothing else.

MACH1
11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
The D has to figure out a way to get off the feild on third downs. They didnt have to many 3 and out against clev, going to have to do a lot better job at that or its going to be a very long day.

SteelersWoman
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
If our guys play the way we know they "can", I have few worries.

If they play like they did for almost 3 quarters against Cleveland, it's all over.

I agree with whoever says we need to have Heath in there, he's way under-used--especially if Hines is out.

Preacher
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
If we play like we have all year then even the Browns worry me. Oh. Ooops. They already did.

I'm not worried anymore. When you have little to lose you have little to worry about. We should be playing the Ravens unafraid and relentless.

BUT. As long as our receivers are disguised as AVP Pro Beach Volleyball players the light at the end of the tunnel will be the final curtain on the 2006 season.

I actually LOL'd at that!!!

I guess along that theme... they just don't get to spike the ball enough times!

Elvis
11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
:helmet: Davenport does NOT Even Come CLOSE to giving us what Bettis gave us the past 10 years so dont even go there.:banging:
Davenport is way overrated in my opinion and he probably shouldnt be here next year... a Cedrick Humes would give us more speed and a full spring and another mini camp will give him the chances he needs to get the job done or it is time to draft a power back...:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 07:33 PM
for two reasons.

Don't forget with our D to playing as well as they did ALL game.

SteelerStorm
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
This game is going to be won or lost by the special teams. We will need good field position on both sides of the ball. Lets hope for a break out game by our ST's.

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
This game is going to be won or lost by the special teams. We will need good field position on both sides of the ball. Lets hope for a break out game by our ST's.

Got to aggree. Also they need to make sure Baltimore pays for their mistakes.

SteelerStorm
11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Got to aggree. Also they need to make sure Baltimore pays for their mistakes.

Baltimore has made some good luck for themselves by playing fairly mistake free football. Steelers must force a few mistakes and take advantage. A Steeler win would have to be demoralizing to the Ravens. Maybe that would initiate a nice Baltimore skid.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I think the Ravens believe they are in if they beat the Steelers on Sunday, which keeps them up at least 3 games on Cincy with 5 to go and snuffs the Steelers.

A loss to the Steelers creates a small cloud of doubt, with road games in Cincy (next Thursday) , KC, and Pittsburgh (Christmas Eve). The Ravens are confident but I believe they know with that offense they have a small margin for error.

Tankus_Maximus
11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Willie definitely has to get 25-30 touches this game. Cowher can't abandon the run if it's not there in the beginning. Keep chipping away.

Stlrs4Life
11-20-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree Sams is going to be a pain in the ass this Sunday. The Steelers coverage units on special teams are horrible. Yes Stever McNair has always been a thorn in the Steelers side. But I still think the Ravens are overrated even if they keep winning. I think the Steelers can beat them. But the Steelers can't start slow like they did against the Browns or its going to be a long day for them.

Exactly. Control Sams is a must. I don't fear McNair like I used to.

Preacher
11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Willie definitely has to get 25-30 touches this game. Cowher can't abandon the run if it's not there in the beginning. Keep chipping away.

Tankus... Wow.. this is the first time I think I disagree with you!

I personally like the idea of going 4 or 5 wide, spreading out the D and running them to death. Then, throw the ball underneath, or go up top when they start cheating in. Once the safeties drop back... then give it to willie.

Tankus_Maximus
11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Padre....Normally I'd agree with you with the 4-5 wide set, but against this D, and given Ben's penchant for picks lately..it's too dangerous. Smashmouth football up the gut! Wear that D down then pass!

But I'm willing to concede that I could be wrong, otherwise I'd be getting paid to give my opinions.

X-Terminator
11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Smashmouth football will not get it done this week - they must be able to pass effectively to loosen up that defense. You can pass on them, and I really believe a no-huddle spread offense with a possession passing attack can be very effective against their D, force them to start cheating up to stop the short passes, and then either burn them with a deep ball or run Willie out of the spread. Make the Ravens have to defend the entire field and wear themselves out. If they can do that, they will win the game, because I believe our D can and will keep their offense in check.

Hines0wnz
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Touch game, tough crowd. The ST will need their best game of the year for this to even be close by halftime. Field position and Ben are the keys to a Steeler win this weekend.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Average rushing yards per game Pittsburgh=13th......Baltimore=25th
Average passing yards per game Pittsburgh=4th........Baltimore=16th

Fewest rushing yards allowed per game Pittsburgh=8th...Baltimore=3rd
Fewest passing yards allowed per game Pittburgh=19th...Baltimore=8th

Fewest penalty yards per game Pittsburgh=12th......Baltimore=2nd

Turnover Differential Pittsburgh=30th (-9)......Baltimore=1st (+12)

HMMMMM......seems obvious to me that this game could go either way except for one stat... TURNOVERS...we cut down on the turnovers and it would seem that we could win this game if we air it out...I like our 4th ranked pass against their 8th ranked pass D...as opposed to our 13th ranked run vs their 3rd ranked run D....

On the flip side their 25th ranked run against out 8th ranked run D probably has them thinking the same thing and they will air out their 16th ranked pass vs our 19th ranked pass D

Just thought the stats might help us see what we were up against.

james203
11-21-2006, 06:52 AM
i sure wish cowher would read these forums.he really needs to.

Infamix
11-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Average rushing yards per game Pittsburgh=13th......Baltimore=25th
Average passing yards per game Pittsburgh=4th........Baltimore=16th

Fewest rushing yards allowed per game Pittsburgh=8th...Baltimore=3rd
Fewest passing yards allowed per game Pittburgh=19th...Baltimore=8th

Fewest penalty yards per game Pittsburgh=12th......Baltimore=2nd

Turnover Differential Pittsburgh=30th (-9)......Baltimore=1st (+12)

HMMMMM......seems obvious to me that this game could go either way except for one stat... TURNOVERS...we cut down on the turnovers and it would seem that we could win this game if we air it out...I like our 4th ranked pass against their 8th ranked pass D...as opposed to our 13th ranked run vs their 3rd ranked run D....

On the flip side their 25th ranked run against out 8th ranked run D probably has them thinking the same thing and they will air out their 16th ranked pass vs our 19th ranked pass D

Just thought the stats might help us see what we were up against.

good stats, I believe we have to pass to open up running lanes for Willie. Actually, first play of the game should be a playaction bomb to Santonio.