PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Tampa moved to 4:15 p.m.

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Steelers' Dec. 3 kickoff versus Tampa moved to 4:15 p.m.
Monday, November 20, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

For the second time in four weeks, the NFL has moved the kickoff of a Steelers game at Heinz Field to 4:15 p.m.

The Steelers will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Dec. 3 at the new time. The game was schedule to start at 1 p.m.

This is the first year of the NFL's new flex schedule that allows the times of games to be switched to suit the whims of the networks broadcasting the game. The Bucs-Steelers game will be shown on Fox.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06324/739886-100.stm

tony hipchest
11-20-2006, 12:01 PM
cowher has recently commented that it is nice for the team to get back to some sort of normal schedule. like playing games at their normal time of 1:00.

so much for that.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, if it is moved to 4:15 that presumably means it will also be a HDTV game, so I guess I am all for it.

Watching the Steelers in standard definition on a HDTV with the compressed DirecTV signal (as was the case for the Oakland and Browns games) is a less than positive experience.

Surprised Fox made that move before the Ravens game. If the Steelers lose Sunday a December match-up between a 4-7 and 3-8/4-7 team is not exactly a compelling doubleheader game which will probably not have a particularly fired up crowd either.

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
This will give me a chance to sleep in on Sunday morning after going out at the Strip District the night before! I like my get away weekends to include some sleep but this one did not...but thanks NFL - it does now!

Ambridge
11-20-2006, 01:58 PM
This flex schedule sucks major Monkey Balls.
I attend most of the home games and I don't mind getting back home between 9-10pm after a 4+hour drive back to Virginia but getting back home between 12-1am is not fun.......even if the NFL does give the fans a couple weeks notice.

Total BS for any fans who have drive back any significant distance right after the game.

Da Steeler Soprano
11-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Yes I agree this is total BS. I am going to this game (the first game I been to for many many years) and am taking 3 friends who never attended. We was siked to wake up bright and early and start tailgating around 7am in the parking lot. Nooow thanx to the new retarted league everyones schedule is messed up. I thought the idea for the flex thing is to broadcast big games on national TV. The last time I check the Bucs and Steelers were two of the worst teams in the league?

SteelerFan091472
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, if it is moved to 4:15 that presumably means it will also be a HDTV game, so I guess I am all for it.

Watching the Steelers in standard definition on a HDTV with the compressed DirecTV signal (as was the case for the Oakland and Browns games) is a less than positive experience.

Surprised Fox made that move before the Ravens game. If the Steelers lose Sunday a December match-up between a 4-7 and 3-8/4-7 team is not exactly a compelling doubleheader game which will probably not have a particularly fired up crowd either.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Bucs/Steelers game was moved to 4:15 in the first place.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah This flex schedule stuff sux!

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
I attend most of the home games and I don't mind getting back home between 9-10pm after a 4+hour drive back to Virginia but getting back home between 12-1am is not fun.......even if the NFL does give the fans a couple weeks notice.

Total BS for any fans who have drive back any significant distance right after the game.

TV rules it all - the NFL now is screwing with its fans as colleges have done for years with regard to moving kickoff times.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes I agree this is total BS. I am going to this game (the first game I been to for many many years) and am taking 3 friends who never attended. We was siked to wake up bright and early and start tailgating around 7am in the parking lot. Nooow thanx to the new retarted league everyones schedule is messed up. I thought the idea for the flex thing is to broadcast big games on national TV. The last time I check the Bucs and Steelers were two of the worst teams in the league?

Makes no sense to me - I checked the schedule and the one scheduled 4:15 kickoff for Fox is Seattle at Denver - just make that a national doubleheader (or singleheader).

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM

I made the drive from PA to MD after the Patriots game last year (about 3 hours - getting home shortly after midnight) and then woke up at 4 am to drive back to Tampa. Now that sucked. But the time in Da 'Burgh was great!

When are you leaving for Da 'Burgh? I'm flying into BWI on Friday night and will be leaving Saturday morning from Frederick, MD. I'm just thankful I have a later flight on the return trip!

SteelerFan091472
11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Makes no sense to me - I checked the schedule and the one scheduled 4:15 kickoff for Fox is Seattle at Denver - just make that a national doubleheader (or singleheader).

The Seattle at Denver game has been moved to 8:15 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9817766

ChronoCross
11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
I like the flex schedule that way I can at least watch a decent game on Sunday Night, and Monday Night and not watch some game with crappy teams. Get to watch games that make a impact to on the up coming playoffs.

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 03:55 PM

I went to the Broncos/Steelers game and didn't get back till almost 11. But yet I live only 2 hours away. I didn't complain about it.

Ambridge
11-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I went to the Broncos/Steelers game and didn't get back till almost 11. But yet I live only 2 hours away. I didn't complain about it.

I hear what you and stlrtruck are saying but if you're only going to a game or two then a long drive after a game is no sweat.

After the 4th or 5th game of the season the drive up and back gets to become a bit of a grind and having to be up at 5am the next morning for work doesn't help matters either.

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
I hear what you and stlrtruck are saying but if you're only going to a game or two then a long drive after a game is no sweat.

After the 4th or 5th game of the season the drive up and back gets to become a bit of a grind and having to be up at 5am the next morning for work doesn't help matters either.

yep well. In some cases with having school at 7:42 the next day doesn't help either.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 06:23 PM
The Seattle at Denver game has been moved to 8:15 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9817766

And now I see Giants-Cowboys got moved to 4:15 - still no clue why Steelers are moved unless there is some NFL rule the whole country cannot get the same game at 4:15

Ambridge
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
yep well. In some cases with having school at 7:42 the next day doesn't help either.

A two hour less drive and you get to wake up almost 3hrs later.........I'd take that in a flash. :cool:

OneForTheToe
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Maybe they moved it because the Steelers/Saints game did around 22 million in viewers.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
But Saints-Steelers was the national doubleheader game - I am taking a wild guess here (not!) but I think Giants (New York media)-Cowboys (America's Team if you work at Fox) will be the main game

Stlrs4Life
11-20-2006, 06:55 PM

I hear Ya, it is a bunch of horse shit.

83-Steelers-43
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I like the change for two reasons.

1) I get to sleep in before I head down to Heinz.

2) The Bucs coming up from sunny Florida in order to play a game later in the day during the month of December in Pittsburgh.

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I like the change for two reasons.

1) I get to sleep in before I head down to Heinz.

2) The Bucs coming up from sunny Florida in order to play a game later in the day during the month of December in Pittsburgh.

not to mention it will be much colder and Tampa will be in White.

Elvis
11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I hate the late start just for the fact that it runs too late and I have to miss the whole 4th quarter due to having church at 6 pm...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, God comes first...:tt02:

OneForTheToe
11-20-2006, 10:33 PM
But Saints-Steelers was the national doubleheader game - I am taking a wild guess here (not!) but I think Giants (New York media)-Cowboys (America's Team if you work at Fox) will be the main game

Well, then I don't know why they moved it, Atlanta Dan. Maybe they figure there are parts of the country that just won't watch Dallas or NewYork. :wink02:

Maybe Bradshaw threatened to set up a neked room at fox if they did not move the game too 4:15.

Steel Pit
11-20-2006, 11:37 PM
They moved the Steelers game to 4:15 PM for no other reason than RATINGS! CBS has dominated the NFL television ratings when they air the Steelers in the 4:15 slot. I guess FOX wants to get a little chunk of the high-ratings action. Be proud, it shows that Steelers fans aren't bandwagon fans. We're still tuning in every week.

Cowboys/Giants? Were any of you going to tune in for that thriller? Not me. The NFC Conference and the FOX football network put me to sleep.

tony hipchest
11-21-2006, 01:08 AM
fox aired the cardinals/cowboys over sainst/steelers in some areas (like the whole damn southwest!!!!!)

bradshaw in a nekked room for 3 hrs + might be the better option.

Steel Pit
11-21-2006, 02:40 AM
They moved the Steelers game to 4:15 PM for no other reason than RATINGS! CBS has dominated the NFL television ratings when they air the Steelers in the 4:15 slot. I guess FOX wants to get a little chunk of the high-ratings action. Be proud, it shows that Steelers fans aren't bandwagon fans. We're still tuning in every week.

Cowboys/Giants? Were any of you going to tune in for that thriller? Not me. The NFC Conference and the FOX football network put me to sleep.

And here's the facts to back up my claim.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06325/739991-66.stm

Preacher
11-21-2006, 02:47 AM
I hate the late start just for the fact that it runs too late and I have to miss the whole 4th quarter due to having church at 6 pm...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, God comes first...:tt02:

:toofunny:

Funny thing, that is why I love it! This way, I get to watch it live.
I get to come home from preaching, get a good meal, sit infront of the TV and watch the game.

james203
11-21-2006, 08:06 AM
living in ca its ok with me.it will still be early ( 1:15 pm).i havent seen many steeler games on tv here this season.

stlrtruck
11-21-2006, 08:38 AM

That's normally why I take a vacation day the next day. There's no way I'm up for work the next day unless it's a dire emergency.

It's always worth it though. ALWAYS.

MyCuz64Furness
11-21-2006, 02:27 PM
This actually works for me.....I'm on duty that day so my NFL Sunday ticket is a waste.....BUT if its on network.....Yeah for me....now if I can just stay in station long enough to watch some :tt02: :tt02: :thumbsup: :cheer:

83-Steelers-43
11-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Ed Bouchette's Daily Question
Sunday, November 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Question: I am totally amazed that the NFL has no concern for the Steelers fans in regard to the scheduling of home games. I see now that the Tampa Bay game has been moved to 4:15. This means that there have been only two games at 1 this year, including the Christmas eve game with Baltimore. I travel over 3 hours each way to every game, which means I must either pay to stay overnight, or return home near midnight after the 4:15 games. The two weeknight games starting at 8:15 p.m. preclude young fans of school age from attending. I believe this will eventually erode the fan base. Do you agree? How do I pass this on to the NFL? - Gerry Weber, Camp Hill, Pa.

BOUCHETTE: This forum is for questions only, but I loved your rant. The problem for you is that you really think the NFL cares about you. It cares more about you if you were sitting in front of your TV watching the game than it does if you are sitting in the stands. That's why it keeps moving games around, for those watching on TV. You are paying the price for the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and their popularity around the country. When they switched the time of the game against the Saints, the viewing public responded by making it the third-most watched show on TV in the country, behind only Desperate Housewives and Dancing With The Stars. And hold on to your party hats because that 1 p.m. game in Cincinnati on New Year's Eve is subject to be moved to 8:15 p.m. by the networks. I have four suggestions for you: Give up your season tickets, move closer to Pittsburgh, root for the Steelers to lose so they play more 1 p.m. games, or live with it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06330/740683-367.stm

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I'd rather live with it. I don't mind going into school feeling a little tired.