PDA

View Full Version : mike nolan wearing a suit on the sidelines

tony hipchest
11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
i cant believe the nfl took the stick out of their ass on this one and let him honor his father. the nfl has insisted on coaches wearing nfl lisenced products.

Quote of the Week I
"It looks a lot better than some gray, hooded sweatshirt, because that looks like crap.''
-- ESPN's Mike Ditka, on 49ers coach Mike Nolan wearing a suit on the sidelines against the Seahawks Sunday, with a pointed reference to the sartorial un-splendor of Bill Belichick. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 01:45 PM
I remember back in the day the coaches use to wear only suits on the sidelines. I do think it's a lot better than sweat pants.

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Definitely an improvement over grown men dressed up on the sidelines like high school sophomores or, in the case of one very successful coach, someone who comes up to you at a stop light and asks to wipe your windshield.

Ambridge
11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
I think a suit on the sidelines is a little over the top and too formal for an NFL game but on the flip side wearing a "cut-off" hooded sweat shirt looks kinda tacky for an NFL head coach.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorry when I think of football I don't think suits. I don't have a problem with coaches wearing suits if they want since it is a tribute to the days of Lombardi and Stram.

stlrtruck
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I think the suit, brings back a certain level of respectability to the franchises and the league. But then again, I couldn't imagine Cowher in a suit. His emotion in a suit would look a little odd!

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
These are extremely successful men - what I object to is the NFL picking out the merchandising hook for the week and then dressing everyone up like some Mom who picks out her kids clothes because she thinks it is cute her kids are all wearing the same outfit.

The only slack I cut Belichek for his homeless man costume is that i think it is a rebellion against being dressed up by NFL Properties.

SteelCityMan786
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
I'd rather see coaches in suits for Basketball or Hockey.

Livinginthe past
11-20-2006, 06:41 PM
These are extremely successful men - what I object to is the NFL picking out the merchandising hook for the week and then dressing everyone up like some Mom who picks out her kids clothes because she thinks it is cute her kids are all wearing the same outfit.

The only slack I cut Belichek for his homeless man costume is that i think it is a rebellion against being dressed up by NFL Properties.

I heard it was the sheer weight of married women flinging themselves at him that forced him to 'dress down' at the game.

You know, I can totally see it.

Bill Belicheck is a very attractive man.

NM

Preacher
11-21-2006, 02:17 AM
I would actually prefer a dress-code for the entire team. If you play football for the NFL, you will dress in a suit. Not like a idiotic thug.

Elvis
11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I for one I love the suit and think that it is very respectible and should be worn on the field more... I would like to see Duce Staley have to have a new one every week on the Steelers sidelines to show his gratitude to the Steelers for paying his welfare check.. the least he could do is look classy..:jawdrop: :wave:

Stillers#1
11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I would actually prefer a dress-code for the entire team. If you play football for the NFL, you will dress in a suit. Not like a idiotic thug.

If you were an idiotic thug, you would take offense to that.

Anyways, I like the idea, I think it looks classy, and Nolan pulled it off quite nicely.

Kermit
11-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Seems that Jack Del Rio wore one too -- and to quote the caption from Nick Bakay's Manly House of Football (http://nfl.com/news/story/9822975):

"The suits went 2-0 in Week 11. How many coaches with fancy duds do you think we'll see in Week 12?"

I dunno' ... For something different, the suit is nice, but it looks strange on the sidelines in this day and age. Not something I'd like to see every week on everyone.

steelfan 92
11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
it should not be required to wear by all coaches, but if your want to wear a suit you should be able to. i think mike nolan and jack del rio looked very good. some coaches are just not eh suit type ie: cowher, parcells, belichek. the nfl is all about making money, they wants as much adverstisement as they can get. suits should be allowed, all the coaches would have to doo is wear a reebok pin on the lapel aor have the announcers say the suit was designed by reebok.

BellatrixBlack
11-23-2006, 11:49 AM
From what I understand, Nolan wanted to wear a suit last year, but the league denied him. They only let him wear it this time because it was designed by Reebok, their official sponsor (which didn't make formal wear until this season).

I think he pulled it off and looked pretty professional, though I don't see that look fitting a coach with Cowher's personality. It's still pretty stupid that the league wants so much control that they can ban you from dressing up, while at the same time they're so concerned about their image.

Too many rules for everything; typical NFL.

AGREED. All those unsportsmanlike conduct rules about TD celebrations are so silly. Besides, I like seeing the coaches pimp the merch. Those Storm Jackets are awesomeness.