PDA

View Full Version : 2004 QB draftclass- eli, philip, ben, j.p.

tony hipchest
11-20-2006, 11:58 PM
eli had the worst game this weekend, and j.p had the best. ben and philip lead their teams on 2 great come from behind wins.

this could very well be the best qb draft since '83, but is it possible that eli is in the bottom 2 of the 4? (noone is gonna say losman is better than him). ben has already proven his worth, and philip is playing like he has as much experience as any of them.

is this class the best of the last 30 years?

Preacher
11-21-2006, 02:51 AM
eli had the worst game this weekend, and j.p had the best. ben and philip lead their teams on 2 great come from behind wins.

this could very well be the best qb draft since '83, but is it possible that eli is in the bottom 2 of the 4? (noone is gonna say losman is better than him). ben has already proven his worth, and philip is playing like he has as much experience as any of them.

Sure is possible.

Elvis
11-21-2006, 06:14 PM
:tt02: :tt02:
It in my opinion is the best since '83 hands down.
1. Big Ben.. Super Bowl Winner... need I say more?
2. Phillip Rivers.. very talented and a very much up N coming NFL Superstar
3. Peyton's lit'l brother "Eli"... Very Inconsistent with alot of talent around him
4. J.P. Lossman... What has he done?:wave:

boLT fan
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Here's my order:

Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisburger
J.P. Losman
Matt Shaub
Luke McCown
Craig Krenzel
Josh Harris
Matt Mauck
Bradlee Van Pelt
John Navarre
Eli Manning

I think it's a pretty accurate list.

MattsMe
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM

Too early to tell, but so far the magic 8ball keeps coming up "all signs point to yes."

Black@Gold Forever32
11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Here's my order:

Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisburger
J.P. Losman
Matt Shaub
Luke McCown
Craig Krenzel
Josh Harris
Matt Mauck
Bradlee Van Pelt
John Navarre
Eli Manning

Big Ben has to be atop of the list since he has a Super Bowl ring and has won 5 post-season games. None of those other QB's have one play-off win. I would say Rivers is the second best and has a great shot to win a play-off game or two this year.

Kermit
11-21-2006, 10:17 PM

The way things look right now, it very well could be -- and then again, this year's rookies (Young, Leinart, Gradkowski, and Cutler) also look to have very promising careers.

When all is said and done, if the '04 QBs produce at least two Hall of Famers, I'd say it's pretty darn close.

Big Ben has to be atop of the list since he has a Super Bowl ring and has won 5 post-season games.

Agreed -- Rivers has played the best this year, but Big Ben has the edge by far (not to mention he's gone through set-back after set-back, and still picked himself up afterwards).

No matter how good of a team the Steelers were when they got Ben, it takes something special for a QB to earn offensive rookie of the year honors.

boLT fan
11-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Big Ben has to be atop of the list since he has a Super Bowl ring and has won 5 post-season games. None of those other QB's have one play-off win. I would say Rivers is the second best and has a great shot to win a play-off game or two this year.

That was kind of a homer pick, i'll admit. But after two years we'll compare the QB's and see who's better. :wink02:

CantStop85
11-23-2006, 08:45 PM
No.

1983: John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino

hardwork
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
No.

1983: John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino

They all joined the league in '83? Pretty hard to beat that.

Atlanta Dan
11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Marino was fastest out of the gate for the 1983 class but at the end Elway by most estimates had passed him as having had the better all around QB career, so we can wait a while before assessing the 2004 class.

Ben had the opening burst, but the Ben/Rivers comparisons hopefully will keep us entertained for a long time. IMHO Eli's mechanics cause him big time accuracy problems that fail to support all the hype associated with his membership in the NFL's self-anointed First Familiy.

tony hipchest
11-24-2006, 10:29 AM
No.

1983: John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marinooops. original post should say "last 20 years" (or all those SINCE '83).

i think eli will get his mechanics problems worked out. i still see him as a 12-15 year starter in the league along with ben and philip. not sure about losman but i guess the potential is there (he just reminds me of rob johnson though).

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2006, 10:36 AM
:tt02: :tt02:
It in my opinion is the best since '83 hands down.
1. Big Ben.. Super Bowl Winner... need I say more?
2. Phillip Rivers.. very talented and a very much up N coming NFL Superstar
3. Peyton's lit'l brother "Eli"... Very Inconsistent with alot of talent around him
4. J.P. Lossman... What has he done?:wave:

1. Aggreed
2. Couldn't say it better.
3. Has a lot of work to do.
4. I wonder that myself to.

ibleedburgundy
11-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Marino was fastest out of the gate for the 1983 class but at the end Elway by most estimates had passed him as having had the better all around QB career, so we can wait a while before assessing the 2004 class.

Ben had the opening burst, but the Ben/Rivers comparisons hopefully will keep us entertained for a long time. IMHO Eli's mechanics cause him big time accuracy problems that fail to support all the hype associated with his membership in the NFL's self-anointed First Familiy.

See I thought Eli had good mechanics but he just plain sucks.

Over the last few years I think being the Giants QB is one of the easier QB jobs in the nfl. Eli won plenty of games dinking and dunking to Tiki Barber and throwing jump ball prayers to Plaxico Buress and Amani Toomer. Toomer is underrated IMO and so is the Giants O-line. Couple this with the fact that they have one of the best receiving TEs in the NFL, and a very good offensive line, and you have a recipe for success regardless of the QB. The Giants seem to win most games when they put the team on Tiki's shoulders, and they lose every game Coughlin puts on Eli's shoulders.

CantStop85
11-24-2006, 01:18 PM
oops. original post should say "last 20 years" (or all those SINCE '83).

i think eli will get his mechanics problems worked out. i still see him as a 12-15 year starter in the league along with ben and philip. not sure about losman but i guess the potential is there (he just reminds me of rob johnson though).
In that case, they still have a bit of work to do just to pass up the class of 2000: Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady

boLT fan
11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
See I thought Eli had good mechanics but he just plain sucks.

Over the last few years I think being the Giants QB is one of the easier QB jobs in the nfl. Eli won plenty of games dinking and dunking to Tiki Barber and throwing jump ball prayers to Plaxico Buress and Amani Toomer. Toomer is underrated IMO and so is the Giants O-line. Couple this with the fact that they have one of the best receiving TEs in the NFL, and a very good offensive line, and you have a recipe for success regardless of the QB. The Giants seem to win most games when they put the team on Tiki's shoulders, and they lose every game Coughlin puts on Eli's shoulders.

That brought a tear to my eye reading that. :thumbsup:

LambertIsGod58
11-24-2006, 02:02 PM
All the negative press Eli has been getting is not warranted. He's played Chicago and Jacksonville the last two weeks. WTF, two of the top defenses in the league? Let's not comdemn Eli just yet.

tony hipchest
11-25-2006, 12:37 AM
In that case, they still have a bit of work to do just to pass up the class of 2000: Chad Pennington, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady

:toofunny: based on what?

CantStop85
11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
:toofunny: based on what?
Chad Pennington - 7 years starting, 10,509 passing yards, 65 TD's
Marc Bulger - 5 years starting, 14,589 passing yards, 84 TD's
Tom Brady - 6 years starting, 20,331 passing yards, 142 TD's, 3 Superbowl Rings

Based on that.

tony hipchest
11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Chad Pennington - 7 years starting, 10,509 passing yards, 65 TD's
Marc Bulger - 5 years starting, 14,589 passing yards, 84 TD's
Tom Brady - 6 years starting, 20,331 passing yards, 142 TD's, 3 Superbowl Rings

Based on that.wrong!

are you really trying to put penningtons 1500 yards and 9 td's per year in the class of brady? you left out some important stats like career victories and playoff appearances.

bradys 3 superbowls doesnt mean his "class" is better than the collective likes of elway, marino, and kelly, just because they only won 2.

its not even close. but i will say 2000 is the best 2nd day draft class since '83

CantStop85
11-25-2006, 04:37 PM
wrong!

are you really trying to put penningtons 1500 yards and 9 td's per year in the class of brady? you left out some important stats like career victories and playoff appearances.

bradys 3 superbowls doesnt mean his "class" is better than the collective likes of elway, marino, and kelly, just because they only won 2.

its not even close. but i will say 2000 is the best 2nd day draft class since '83
Obviously you've misinterpreted what I said.

I started out by saying the 1983 class was the best in the last 30 years, then you came back saying that the 2004 class was the best in the last 20 years. I disagreed, pointing out the 2000 class.

What I meant was the 1983 class was the best in the last 30 years and the 2000 class was the best in the last 20.

Elvis
11-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Here's my order:

Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisburger
J.P. Losman
Matt Shaub
Luke McCown
Craig Krenzel
Josh Harris
Matt Mauck
Bradlee Van Pelt
John Navarre
Eli Manning

:tt02:
Not even close.. How can you put Ben below Rivers? I like Rivers and all but you cant rate him over a man that won his 15 or 16 regular season starts and won a Super Bowl in his 2nd year... and how can you honestly rate those other guys over Manning? McCown, Krenzell, Harris, Mauck Van Pelt, Navarre.... Are you kiddin' yourself? cuz you aint foolin' noone else...:jawdrop:

boLT fan
11-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't think he's serious. Look at his handle...he HATES Eli.

:iagree:

fansince'76
12-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Here's my order:

Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisburger
J.P. Losman
Matt Shaub
Luke McCown
Craig Krenzel
Josh Harris
Matt Mauck
Bradlee Van Pelt
John Navarre
Eli Manning

Not to mention a pretty biased one. Taking their ENTIRE (albeit to this point, short) careers into account, you really think that Rivers is the best QB on a list that includes a QB that went to 2 straight AFC Championship games and a Superbowl win while Rivers was carrying a clipboard? Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

boLT fan
12-02-2006, 05:39 PM
At least one of you was smart enough to see I was joking around.. thanks Godfather. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
12-02-2006, 05:55 PM
At least one of you was smart enough to see I was joking around.. thanks Godfather. :thumbsup:

My bad - I apologize for seeming indignant when you were just kidding around. :dang: