PDA

View Full Version : Some food for thought

tony hipchest
11-21-2006, 01:01 PM
another interesting pat kirwan article

http://nfl.com/news/story/9818268

(Nov. 20, 2006) -- Anyone tell you they have the 2006 season figured out? Do they know which are the best teams, players and scenarios to make the playoffs? If so, they may also want to sell you some waterfront property. This NFL season is as unpredictable as any season I can remember in the past 20 years.

Remember all the rule changes we heard about over the past few years to get more offense in the games? We had three shutouts during Week 11 and now have 10 shutouts for the season. The last time there were three shutouts on a weekend was 1991. The NFL averages about five per season, and we still have 96 games to go. Don't get me wrong, no one appreciates a great defensive effort more than me, but if you told me that the NFL would average a shutout a week, I would have told you to get a checkup. The league where offense is supposed to rule is on pace for 17 shutouts. I gave up looking back to see if that ever happened before -- that's how long it's been.

Here's another number that defies logic. The Saints have generated over 1,100 yards of offense in the past two weeks ... and lost both games! I wouldn't have thought that was possible. But New Orleans faced a Bengals team with a red-hot receiver this past week in Chad Johnson. Johnson got really quiet two weeks ago, and started to let his football do his talking for him (which I really like). All he's done in two games is catch 17 passes for 450 yards and five touchdowns.

Peyton Manning lost his game to the Cowboys, but he went over the 20 passing touchdown mark for the ninth straight season. The Bears have only had a quarterback do that six times in the history of the club, and they have had some great teams.

The Bears defense is very impressive and recorded its second shutout of the year. The Bears are now giving up 12 points a game and still have a chance to beat the mark set by the Ravens (165 points given up in a 16-game season). If they hold their remaining opponents to seven points a game, they will make it. They have already done it five times this year, so it is possible.

The Eagles lost QB Donovan McNabb, which is a real shame because I think he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He will be back and better than ever in 2007. After the rehabs of Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington and even Daunte Culpepper, we really have to reevaluate the powers of modern medicine. But after he left the game against the Titans, something else happened that is rare. The 32nd-ranked defense in the NFL beat the first-ranked offense in the league. That is the first time in 16 meetings that a last-place defense defeated a first-place offense in a game.

I know most of us believe you have to run the ball to be successful in the NFL, but did you notice the Dolphins beat Minnesota despite having minus-3 yards rushing? I don't think it's a trend, even though the Steelers, Bills and Ravens all won and rushed for less yards than the losing teams, but minus-3 yards is just hard to believe.

Getting hot from out of nowhere! Did anyone expect the Dolphins and 49ers to turn their seasons around when they were 1-5 and 2-4, respectively, giving up lots of points? Both teams are on three-game winning streaks, and they have changed defensively overnight. The 49ers have only given up 30 points in three weeks (10 per game). In their previous five losses, they gave up an average of 34 points per game. The Dolphins have only given up 43 points (14 per game) in their three-game winning streak. Don't tell either team that their playoff dreams are over. As one coach said to me this morning, '"Those Dolphins and Niners are dangerous now."

Finally, that home-field advantage concept has been under fire this season. There are five teams in the NFL -- Patriots, Jets, Bengals, Browns and Packers -- that have better road records than home records. In fact, the AFC East and the NFC North as divisions have more road wins than home wins. Like I said, if someone tells you they have their finger on the pulse of the NFL, hide your wallet.

SteelerFan091472
11-21-2006, 01:24 PM

(Nov. 20, 2006) -- Anyone tell you they have the 2006 season figured out? Do they know which are the best teams, players and scenarios to make the playoffs? If so, they may also want to sell you some waterfront property. This NFL season is as unpredictable as any season I can remember in the past 20 years.

Remember all the rule changes we heard about over the past few years to get more offense in the games? We had three shutouts during Week 11 and now have 10 shutouts for the season. The last time there were three shutouts on a weekend was 1991. The NFL averages about five per season, and we still have 96 games to go. Don't get me wrong, no one appreciates a great defensive effort more than me, but if you told me that the NFL would average a shutout a week, I would have told you to get a checkup. The league where offense is supposed to rule is on pace for 17 shutouts. I gave up looking back to see if that ever happened before -- that's how long it's been.

Here's another number that defies logic. The Saints have generated over 1,100 yards of offense in the past two weeks ... and lost both games! I wouldn't have thought that was possible. But New Orleans faced a Bengals team with a red-hot receiver this past week in Chad Johnson. Johnson got really quiet two weeks ago, and started to let his football do his talking for him (which I really like). All he's done in two games is catch 17 passes for 450 yards and five touchdowns.

Peyton Manning lost his game to the Cowboys, but he went over the 20 passing touchdown mark for the ninth straight season. The Bears have only had a quarterback do that six times in the history of the club, and they have had some great teams.

The Bears defense is very impressive and recorded its second shutout of the year. The Bears are now giving up 12 points a game and still have a chance to beat the mark set by the Ravens (165 points given up in a 16-game season). If they hold their remaining opponents to seven points a game, they will make it. They have already done it five times this year, so it is possible.

The Eagles lost QB Donovan McNabb, which is a real shame because I think he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He will be back and better than ever in 2007. After the rehabs of Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington and even Daunte Culpepper, we really have to reevaluate the powers of modern medicine. But after he left the game against the Titans, something else happened that is rare. The 32nd-ranked defense in the NFL beat the first-ranked offense in the league. That is the first time in 16 meetings that a last-place defense defeated a first-place offense in a game.

I know most of us believe you have to run the ball to be successful in the NFL, but did you notice the Dolphins beat Minnesota despite having minus-3 yards rushing? I don't think it's a trend, even though the Steelers, Bills and Ravens all won and rushed for less yards than the losing teams, but minus-3 yards is just hard to believe.

Getting hot from out of nowhere! Did anyone expect the Dolphins and 49ers to turn their seasons around when they were 1-5 and 2-4, respectively, giving up lots of points? Both teams are on three-game winning streaks, and they have changed defensively overnight. The 49ers have only given up 30 points in three weeks (10 per game). In their previous five losses, they gave up an average of 34 points per game. The Dolphins have only given up 43 points (14 per game) in their three-game winning streak. Don't tell either team that their playoff dreams are over. As one coach said to me this morning, '"Those Dolphins and Niners are dangerous now."

Finally, that home-field advantage concept has been under fire this season. There are five teams in the NFL -- Patriots, Jets, Bengals, Browns and Packers -- that have better road records than home records. In fact, the AFC East and the NFC North as divisions have more road wins than home wins. Like I said, if someone tells you they have their finger on the pulse of the NFL, hide your wallet.

Interesting article, but Kirwan is wrong on one stat. The last time there were 3 shutouts on a weekend wasn't in 1991, but Week 1 of this season.

sumo
11-21-2006, 01:30 PM

IMO, this is all great for the NFL - somebody made a comment on ESPN radio the other day that you could make a living just betting on underdogs to cover this year - parity and unpredicatble games are what makes the NFL intriguing...

tony hipchest
11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Interesting article, but Kirwan is wrong on one stat. The last time there were 3 shutouts on a weekend wasn't in 1991, but Week 1 of this season. your right. i cant believe he did that. he wrote an article on that fact right after week one AND he had the research saying the last time it happened. :dang: