PDA

View Full Version : There Is No Quit In Roethlisberger

PAMillerGrrl83
11-21-2006, 02:57 PM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Watching the first half it looked like Ben Roethlisberger was going to have a disastrous day. He had completed just four passes for 36 yards and three interceptions, one which was returned for a touchdown, for an unheard of quarterback rating of 6.4.

"In the first half, our offense couldn't get going. It was my fault," said Roethlisberger. "The ball was just bouncing all over the place."

But, if there is one thing that many have learned about Roethlisberger, it's never to count him out. While some fans might have been calling for him to be benched at halftime, those who know what Roethlisberger can do had faith and stuck with him and it paid off.

Roethlisberger had an incredible fourth quarter, leading the Steelers on three scoring drives while running the no-huddle offense for much of the time, including two touchdown passes en route to a thrilling come-from-behind win over the Browns.

"The second half we came out and there was no quitting on offense or defense," said Roethlisberger. "I was really proud of how our offensive and defensive lines played today."

Roethlisberger finished the day completing 25 passes for 272 yards, while spreading the ball around to seven different receivers.

"I've got to give these receivers a lot of credit," he said. "They were getting tired running all over the field, and when I'm scrambling, they really don't know what's going on. They've got to be careful not to block in the back, there's a lot to remember in that situation. They're the ones making plays in that situation. I'm just running around throwing it."

One play that epitomized Roethlisberger's performance came on the Steelers last offensive play of the game. Roethlisberger was looking for Hines Ward on second down from the four-yard line, but when pressure came, he had to scramble and that's when he found Willie Parker.

"I was pretty much looking at Hines all the way as the go-to guy," said Roethlisberger. "I started to my left. I was going to run it. When I saw Willie, I thought I'd try it."

Roethlisberger tossed the shovel pass to him and Parker took it in for the score and the comeback was complete.

"He was a very determined young man," said Cowher of his quarterback, "We had some tipped balls that went the other way. I liked the way he kept playing."

:iagree: :thmbup:

memphissteelergirl
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I think it's safe to say you're a Big Ben fan, huh? :sofunny: :wink02:

steelfan 92
11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
i love ben, he is playing through tough times, but he needs to know when to throw the ball away and when to just take a sack and avoid throwing into double and triple coverage. hey sometimes a punt is not so bad, but throwing a pick six to the other team hurts.

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
No offense to Miss Varley's article, but let's hope there isn't any quit in the guy. He's our franchise QB and he's getting paid as such. I'm loving his play on the field (the TD to Holme's was the Ben of old), but I'm not going to sit here and praise the guy for not quitting...lol. Doesn't that sound just a tad bit crazy?

clevestinks
11-21-2006, 04:57 PM
As a pro athlete, its ashame that you have to notice the ones that don`t quit. Number one they all get paid to NOT quit. But some just don`t appreciate what they have. I feel very fortunate to have Big Ben, Hines, Troy and all the other men that we have

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
As a pro athlete, its ashame that you have to notice the ones that don`t quit. Number one they all get paid to NOT quit. But some just don`t appreciate what they have. I feel very fortunate to have Big Ben, Hines, Troy and all the other men that we have

I agree CS. There are many athletes who give up and quit and it's pathetic. I also feel the Steelers are fortunate to have name's such as Ben, Hines and Troy.

At the same time, I'll be more than happy to praise their play, but have we hit a time in sports where we start praising athletes for simply not quitting? Not me. I'll praise nice throws, grabs and runs but I'm not going to give a grown man a cookie for not quitting. That should be expected and automatic.

Fans pay damn good money on team gear, season tickets, plane and hotel fares (for those who come to town) in order to watch these grown men play a sport. It's one thing if somebody expects a 16-0 record year after year. That's crazy. It's another thing to expect your team to give it all and to not quit. Just my opinion.

clevestinks
11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I agree CS. There are many athletes who give up and quit and it's pathetic. I also feel the Steelers are fortunate to have name's such as Ben, Hines and Troy.

At the same time, I'll be more than happy to praise their play, but have we hit a time in sports where we start praising athletes for simply not quitting? Not me. I'll praise nice throws, grabs and runs but I'm not going to give a grown man a cookie for not quitting. That should be expected and automatic.

Fans pay damn good money on team gear, season tickets, plane and hotel fares (for those who come to town) in order to watch these grown men play a sport. It's one thing if somebody expects a 16-0 record year after year. That's crazy. It's another thing to expect your team to give it all and to not quit. Just my opinion.

Amen my Steelers brother, Amen:jammin:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
83, can I have a cookie?

clevestinks
11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I wonder how contagious Troy and Hines determination is? How could you as a Steelers defensive player, ever give when you see Troy going full go every play every second.

Infamix
11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I hope your a Steelers fan, not just a Ben fan. Other than that, I can safely say that Ben does make bad decisions, but I really trust him most of the time when he has to be clutch.

PAMillerGrrl83
11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I think it's safe to say you're a Big Ben fan, huh? :sofunny: :wink02:

Yeppers I am...and in reply to Infamix, I am a HUGE Big Ben fan I have been since his college days at Miami of Ohio but I have been a Steelers fan since I was probably 4 or 5 and I'm 20 now. I simply posted the article because I thought it was an interesting read.

NV STEELERS 723
11-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Ben is our future... I've said that before...but we have a pretty good defense too, And I'd like to see him throw under 25 times....

Ben's time will come, and he soon will be like Elway, and Manning....shaking off the head coach on 3rd down...

Ben will win 3 more SUPER BOWLS for the STEELERS!

PAMillerGrrl83
11-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Ben is our future... I've said that before...but we have a pretty good defense too, And I'd like to see him throw under 25 times....

Ben's time will come, and he soon will be like Elway, and Manning....shaking off the head coach on 3rd down...

Ben will win 3 more SUPER BOWLS for the STEELERS!

You seem like an extremly intelligent person and I agree with you.