PDA

View Full Version : Michael Irvin on Dan Patrick

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Anybody listen to Michael Irvin on the Dan Patrick show yesterday?

Tony Romo's name was brought up and they were discussing his athleticism. Out of the clear blue Michael Irvin responded with "I don't know, he must have some african-american blood in him".

WTF? How in the hell does he get away with these comments and still have a job? What would happen if they were discussing Marvin Lewis and how much of a good coach he is and then went on to say "He must have some white blood in him."?

Those radio personalities would be fired ASAP. Jesse Jackson would be comforting Marvin Lewis at his home and the media would run with it for the next five weeks straight.

Gotta love those double-standards huh?

steelfan 92
11-21-2006, 04:48 PM
i did, michael irvin is not all there, he is a very amusing guy. i was laughing out loud when he mention romo's great, great, great, great, grandmother hooking up with a black slave, and that is how romo got his athletic ability. i had to pull off the road. irvin is a knucklehead, but he keeps the shows he is on fun.

83-Steelers-43
11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
i did, michael irvin is not all there, he is a very amusing guy.

One word. Crack.

i was laughing out loud when he mention romo's great, great, great, great, grandmother hooking up with a black slave, and that is how romo got hgia athletic ability.

Thanks for another example. Imagine if somebody stated that Marvin Lewis's great, great, great, great grandmother hooked up with a slave trader and that is why Lewis has the brains to coach an NFL football team?

irvin is a knucklehead

Agreed.

but he keeps the shows he is on fun

If that was considered fun, I guess I'm not seeing it. Once again, love those double-standards.

sumo
11-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Howard Cosell was slammed hard and had his life threatened repeatedly for saying "look at that monkey run" on a MNF broadcast - same thing for Jimmy the Greek (his quote was almost identical to what Irvin said in reverse) are these quotes worse than Irvin saying Romo's ancestors hooked up with some African Americans and that's why he's so athletic? - I don't think they are...but Irvin's words probably won't get any air time anywhere and there will be zero controversy because African Americans get a pass for the most part - when they joke it's considered Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy type humor and it's all good...

Ambridge
11-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Too bad Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders can't be sent up with the next space shuttle mission and then discarded into deep space in the trash pod.

steelfan 92
11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
ur right he will get a pass. i don't think he should but, african americans will continue to get a pass when it comes to making racist remarks because of what there ancestors went through. but the thing about what irvin sd, has some hints of truth to it. it happened a lot more than people care to acknowledge. hey some past presidents have A/A kids. so it might have been wrong to say but he was not lying.

sumo
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
ur right he will get a pass. i don't think he should but, african americans will continue to get a pass when it comes to making racist remarks because of what there ancestors went through. but the thing about what irvin sd, has some hints of truth to it. it happened a lot more than people care to acknowledge. hey some past presidents have A/A kids. so it might have been wrong to say but he was not lying.

What Jimmy the Greek said is believed to be factual also - slaveowners did participate in selective breeding to produce the strongest workers - but that didn't make it a good thing to say on the air - people didn't worry about whether or not it was factual - they just ran him off the air and destroyed his career --

If an African American says the same thing ie Michale Irvin - they get a pass - they're both wrong to bring these things up on the air because they're hurtful to a lot of people - but the consequences are not the same for both -- Jimmy the Greek loses his career - Michael Irvin - gets a big laugh...

tony hipchest
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Too bad Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders can't be sent up with the next space shuttle mission and then discarded into deep space in the trash pod.:rofl: too freaking funny

Big D
11-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Makes you wonder why harold reynolds gets fired from espn for hugging a intern. But yet you have crack heads like michael irvin on the set yet. This is also a network that hired nate newton right after he got busted with a cheech and chong load of pot.

Haiku_Dirtt
11-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Too bad Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders can't be sent up with the next space shuttle mission and then discarded into deep space in the trash pod.

I vote against this idea. If ANY other life form came across those two clowns they would destroy Earth without blinking an eye.

Then we'd be without football.

sumo
11-22-2006, 01:11 PM

no matter how far we send them, we will still hear them yelling from space...

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-22-2006, 02:45 PM
I have started my campaign to sue all schools that use mascots like "vikings" and "knights"...in direct mockery of my European heritage.

Naw...I could care less...I just get annoyed at the hyper-sensitivity in todays society...80% of the people I know look past skin color, race and religion and can appreciate or disaprove of a person by who they are and what they do with their lives. These people could also care less about the small details and give some leeway to all people in reagards to what they may say or do

Out of other 20% I would say 15% have some preconcieved notions about people other than themselves but would never discriminate...

Perhaps 5% are racial idiots of some degree and come from all races/religions/backrounds. THESE are the people who cry foul anytime someone says anything that may be interperted as racially motivated BUT are ironically the FIRST to spit out vile comments about anyone different than themselves.

The secret to harmony among all people is NOT total acceptance..that will never happen as long as people are involved...its 1) Not being hypersensitive to what others say...have enough pride in who you are to not let words get to you...2) and realizing that a bigot is a bigot...and is the direct result of a lack of education and lack of self-approval on their part.

I think it is obvious that Michael falls into the category of ..."dont say anything about me...but I am entightled to sasy whatever I want about you".

sumo
11-22-2006, 03:01 PM
I have started my campaign to sue all schools that use mascots like "vikings" and "knights"...in direct mockery of my European heritage.

Naw...I could care less...I just get annoyed at the hyper-sensitivity in todays society...80% of the people I know look past skin color, race and religion and can appreciate or disaprove of a person by who they are and what they do with their lives. These people could also care less about the small details and give some leeway to all people in reagards to what they may say or do

Out of other 20% I would say 15% have some preconcieved notions about people other than themselves but would never discriminate...

Perhaps 5% are racial idiots of some degree and come from all races/religions/backrounds. THESE are the people who cry foul anytime someone says anything that may be interperted as racially motivated BUT are ironically the FIRST to spit out vile comments about anyone different than themselves.

The secret to harmony among all people is NOT total acceptance..that will never happen as long as people are involved...its 1) Not being hypersensitive to what others say...have enough pride in who you are to not let words get to you...2) and realizing that a bigot is a bigot...and is the direct result of a lack of education and lack of self-approval on their part.

I think it is obvious that Michael falls into the category of ..."dont say anything about me...but I am entightled to sasy whatever I want about you".

Nicely said:cheers:

Jeremy
11-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I heard it and my mouth hit the floorboard of my van.

But he's a former Miami Hurrican ane Dallas Cowgirl, did you expect something better from him?

83-Steelers-43
11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
did you expect something better from him?

Not from him, I realize he's nothing but a bum. But I do expect something better from his employer after those comments.

steelfan 92
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
the only color i see is pink!!!

83-Steelers-43
11-24-2006, 07:57 AM
7. Michael Irvin Pulls A Michael Richards.

Okay, folks. We're officially confused about this whole racism thing.

We get the part that calls for white guys to be severely punished and/or fired if they make bigoted, ignorant statements. Al Campanis, Rush Limbaugh, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.

And the latest chapter in this history of racial prejudice comes courtesy of Michael Richards, whom most people know not as "Michael Richards" but as Cosmo Kramer, the hilarious hipster doofis who lived across the hall from Jerry Seinfeld.

Each made unfortunate statements, and each paid the price.

The best example for present purposes is Snyder, who once quipped (while possibly half in the bag) that blacks are better at sports than whites due to the selective breeding practices of slave owners.

In each case, we agree with the outcry that ensued, although we still think Limbaugh's punishment resulted more from his right-wing beliefs than from the actual content of his comments.

But what of the African-American public figure who makes comments just as idiotic, and arguably as blatantly racist? Why is a pass granted in this regard?

The most recent incident? ESPN's Michael Irvin. Appearing Monday on ESPN Radio's The Dan Patrick Show, Irvin pulled a Jimmy "The Greek" when suggesting that one possible explanation for Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo's strong performance is that one of his ancestors got it on with one of those big man slaves to which Snyder referred nearly 20 years ago.

Said Irvin of Romo: "He doesn't look like he's that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don't know . . . some brother down in that line somewhere. . . . I don't know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the 'hood or something went down."

Recognizing the idiocy of Irvin's comments, Dan Patrick said, "Oh, that's the only way he can be a great athlete?"

"That's not the only way, but it's certainly one way," Irvin said. "If great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandma pulled one of them studs up out of the barn [and said], 'Come on in here for a second,' you know, and they go out and work in the yard. You know, back in the day."

Irvin likely would claim that he was joking, if the standard that has been applied to white men who have made similar comments were also applied to the Playmaker. He was, after all, laughing through some of his comments.

But does that make the comments any less ignorant, or any less racist? Irvin basically is saying that, when a white man is a great athlete, there must be something out of the ordinary occurring, because the average white man simply can't do the same things that the average black man can.

Can someone please explain to us why Irvin hasn't been fired or suspended or even called out for his comments?

In doing so, please tell us what you think would have happened if Steve Young or Chris Berman or Dan Patrick or any other white guy working for ESPN had uttered the exact same words.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/WeekElevenTenPack.htm

Jeremy
11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
It was probably one of the most racist things I've ever heard. But, it was also typical of an uneducated African-American male of his age who believes the garbage he's been told since he was a young boy. I know plenty of men like Irvin. I went to college with them and I work with them now. They grew up in mostly black neighborhoods in Miami, Pittsburgh, St Louis, etc where their friends and family kept spreading the myth that black men make better athletes than white men. How do I know this, I've heard it first hand. Today, in 2006, we still have people who hold on to these very racist beliefs.

But we've allowed all of this to happen. We watch Chris Rock and we laugh. But when you stop and listen to what he's saying, there's nothing funny about it. It's really kind of sad and pathetic. We as Americans, both black and white, have failed when someone prominent like Irvin holds these deeply racist beliefs. It's not that he shouldn't be allowed to say them, because he should. But rather it's our failure when we've allowed these types of beliefs to fester, uncheckedby logic or reason, to the point when they're aired on the radio in the manner these were.