PDA

View Full Version : Omar Jacobs signed by Eagles

Texasfan
11-22-2006, 02:01 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/9820593

McNabb placed on IR; QB Jacobs signed Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 21, 2006) -- The Philadelphia Eagles placed Donovan McNabb on injured reserve, ending the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback's season early for the third time in five years.

McNabb tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the team's 31-13 loss to Tennessee, and is expected to have surgery within a month. He's expected to be sidelined for at least eight months.

Linebacker Torrance Daniels was promoted from the practice squad to take McNabb's roster spot. Quarterback Omar Jacobs was signed to the practice squad.

A fifth-round pick by Pittsburgh earlier this year, Jacobs spent a week on the Steelers' practice squad before he was released in September. Jacobs twice received All-Mid American Conference honors at Bowling Green, and finished his career as the school's all-time leader in touchdown passes with 71. He completed 523 of 811 passes for 6,938 yards and only 11 interceptions.

Daniels originally signed as a rookie free agent with the Eagles and has spent the entire season on the practice squad. He was a four-year starter for Harding University in Arkansas, and recorded 74 tackles, 4 1/2 sacks and four forced fumbles his senior season.

McNabb, who turns 30 on Nov. 25, was having one of the best statistical seasons of his eight-year career. He finished with 2,647 yards passing, 18 TDs, six interceptions and a passer rating of 95.5.

McNabb had surgery for a sports hernia and missed the final seven games last season when Philadelphia finished 6-10 a year after going to the Super Bowl. McNabb also sat out the final six regular-season games in 2002 before returning for the playoffs.

The Eagles hoped McNabb would have surgery this week, but went to see renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., and it was determined he had too much swelling in his knee to operate this soon.

Either Jeff Garcia or A.J. Feeley will start in McNabb's place for the Eagles (5-5) against Indianapolis.

SteelersWoman
11-22-2006, 04:27 AM
I was impressed with how Jacobs did in our last pre-season game.

Golden Wave
11-22-2006, 05:07 AM
i was also impressed, and wondered why we let him go.
i wish him luck over there.

ChronoCross
11-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Reason why we let him go is because he pushes the ball and he stairs down WR's. And when you come into camp they need to be ready to change the way they play and improve and he did not do that. The guy has skill but needs a few years to improve somewhere. He came out early when he should of stayed another year in college.

Golden Wave
11-22-2006, 06:06 AM
ok, thanx for clearing that up. :P

Infamix
11-22-2006, 09:05 AM
I dont care much for the Eagles fan base and orginization...Omar Jacobs should be a good pickup though.

BigDuke6
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
I dont think Omar had the right stuff. I think he would do really well in Canada though.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Reason why we let him go is because he pushes the ball and he stairs down WR's. And when you come into camp they need to be ready to change the way they play and improve and he did not do that. The guy has skill but needs a few years to improve somewhere. He came out early when he should of stayed another year in college.

He played too much shotgun in college.....was having problems see the field as he backed away from center....got into the habit of looking at the "one" reciever....also not sure if he ever corrected that funky sidearm throw.

ChronoCross
11-22-2006, 03:13 PM
He played too much shotgun in college.....was having problems see the field as he backed away from center....got into the habit of looking at the "one" reciever....also not sure if he ever corrected that funky sidearm throw.

He never corrected it. Even in pre season you caught him doing it.

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2006, 03:14 PM

He'll need it with the kind of area Philly is.

jaysta
11-22-2006, 10:50 PM

For a guy that many of you think has alot of problems he sure broke a ton of records and threw bunches of TD's in college. Oh yeah...he did it in the same conference that Big Ben played in for four years. I agree he came out a year too early, but the guy has legit talent and even with that unorthodoxed delivery he can throw. He was compared to Ben time and time again in his last year at BGSU due to the fact that he knows how to control a game. That may be one thing that is over looked as a true talent in the league. For example, Eli Manning may be loaded with talent, but he can't control a game. Just something to think about. :wink02:

sheba
11-23-2006, 01:51 PM
he can't do worse then McNabb

Elvis
11-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Good luck to Omar and I think that he will be fine as their 3rd stringer until he can get used to being under center.. and who ever said that Donavan isnt a good QB... give me a break he has won pretty much all the time he is in there and I would have loved to have seen him in Black N Gold before Ben got here... not that I would trade the 2 but I like McNabb he is a winner... and I wish him all the luck in his recovery...

ShutDown24
11-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I was impressed with his raw abilities in camp... He could put incredible touch on the ball... but he didnt get it done in preaseason

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-24-2006, 09:36 AM
For a guy that many of you think has alot of problems he sure broke a ton of records and threw bunches of TD's in college. Oh yeah...he did it in the same conference that Big Ben played in for four years. I agree he came out a year too early, but the guy has legit talent and even with that unorthodoxed delivery he can throw. He was compared to Ben time and time again in his last year at BGSU due to the fact that he knows how to control a game. That may be one thing that is over looked as a true talent in the league. For example, Eli Manning may be loaded with talent, but he can't control a game. Just something to think about. :wink02:

He did have some problems that might have been corrected over time that didnt translate well into the NFL...but your right..he was a monster in college...I know two years ago he led the nation in TD's..(41) and had the second highest passing yards....

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-24-2006, 09:47 AM
he can't do worse then McNabb

Before Mcnabb got hurt he was ranked 6th in passing percentage..5th in total passing yards...and tied for 3rd in TD's....so not only can they do worse..they will almost certainly do worse.

Mosca
11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
High school coaching staffs and the financial services are chock full of hot shot record setting can't miss college quarterbacks who couldn't cut it in the pros. The transition from beating college defenses to beating the best in the world is not something that can be predicted by comparing numbers. To pick just one example, Ron Powlus. But, we could sit here and list 10 guys every day from now until the end of the year; Gino Toretta.

I wish Jacobs all the best in Philly. It's up to him whether he does what he has to to make the transition. I think he can do it, but it's a long shot.

Jeremy
11-24-2006, 12:48 PM
To pick just one example, Ron Powlus.

Even better, Heath Shuler.

Look, the bottom line is most of us spend maybe 2-3 hours a week watching games and highlights. The coaching staff spends 8-10 hours a day, 6 days a week, looking at these kids. It's hard for any of us to sit here and say Jacobs could have been this or that. If he was as good as some people are saying, he probably would have found work before the end of November. Kids like Jacobs are there every single year in the draft. This year you have Trent Edwards and Colt Brennan.

jaysta
11-24-2006, 09:11 PM
He did have some problems that might have been corrected over time that didnt translate well into the NFL...but your right..he was a monster in college...I know two years ago he led the nation in TD's..(41) and had the second highest passing yards....

You're right....for whatever reason nobody has corrected his unorthodoxed sidearm delivery. That usually means one of two things, he didn't find the right QB coach yet...or they may think that he can succeed with it due to his knowledge of the game. Honestly he was one of about five guys that I watched during the draft and hoped the Steelers could get on their team to develop. I like Ben too, but teams that bank on only one QB without thinking ahead often times find themselves in trouble a couple of years down the road. We'll see if the Eagles keep him and develop him into a replacement for McNabb. IMHO I think that may be what is on their mind. Two years in a row now McNabb has gone from being a monster QB to the IR for the remainder of their season. That's something that can't be controlled, but it can kill a team.

NV STEELERS 723
11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Good luck to Omar...and a fast recovery for Donavan

STEELERSTAR
11-27-2006, 04:21 PM

Oh yeah, of course, Omar Jacobs is impressive becuz he has the abilities, potentials and talents to play smart football and he doesn't throw interceptions. Steelers' front office made a bad move or mistake to let him go. We should've kept him becuz we only have 2 quarterbacks on the roster. Brian St. Pierre stinks and sucks!!!

Stillers43
11-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Good luck to Omar. Wish him the best. I too, think we should've kept him around instead of Pierre.