PDA

View Full Version : Byant Gumble Needs to Go

shevdog
11-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Nothing personal Bryant Gumble... He should stick to the news desk. I can't stand his dry, nasal voice as a play-by-play announcer on NFL network. Chris Collingsworth... Well his voice isn't annoyying, yet his comments can be at times. He's better than some commentators the networks have.

ShutDown24
11-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Collinsworth is fine but yeah your right... Even if this is new to Gumble he is like 10 seconds behind on some plays and he shows no excitment or emotion while calling them.

MACH1
11-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Their both idiots

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Gumble sucks bigtime. He might be the worst announcer out there.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Amen! And take Collinsworth with you.

stillers4me
11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes, Chris Collinsworth's voice IS annoying.

Atlanta Dan
11-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Big surprise at the end of the broadcast last night that Collinsworth paid Jay Cutler what Collinsworth no doubt regarded to be the ultimate compliment by comparing Cutler's arm strength and passing talent to that of the sainted Carson Palmer - the booth better be well stocked with Depends when Collinsworth gets a chence to be the commentator for the Bengals-Ravens game next week.

Jeremy
11-24-2006, 11:08 AM
These guys have no clue when it comes to evaluating talent. If they did, they'd be making more money in an NFL front office somewhere.

But, just like Mel Kiper, they don't want the accountability that comes with doing a job for real.

Hines0wnz
11-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Gumble sucks bigtime. He might be the worst announcer out there.

No might about it, he is the worst.......probably ever.

ShutDown24
11-24-2006, 11:10 PM
They need to get Eisen and the boys in there... I think Marriucci, RIch Eisen and Faulk could do a pretty good job with play by play and analysis.... certainly better than the two they had up in the booth in Collinsworth and Bryunt GUmble... I dont think Primetime would be the best person to put up there by any means though :P

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Just from seeing the highlights I have to aggree.

silver & black
11-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Gumble started his career in sportscasting. He moved to the news desk later. I was wondering why he is back doing sports... anyone know?

Atlanta Dan
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Gumble made a pile of money on network morning TV and could play golf all the time if he did not want to be on the air. He was an excellent pre-game halftime host before he first left the NFL on NBC to do the Today show (after which Costas got his big break in the early 80s by following Gumble) before moving to CBS where his abrasive ego came across and wore out his welcome with morning TV viewers.

He is pretty good on his HBO show, which is sort of a sports version of 60 Minutes, but he has never done play by play at the network level and does not appear to be very good at it if Thursday night was any indication. I look for this gig for him to end after a 6 game run.

I think the NFL wanted to try something different and hired Gumble for the same reason ESPN hired Kornheiser in another mistake.

Jeremy
11-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I think the NFL wanted to try something different and hired Gumble for the same reason ESPN hired Kornheiser in another mistake.

He's the difference as I see it. Kornheiser knows he's not really suited for the booth. He has his columns and he has PTI, and he's happy with that. He seems to be pretty humble and knows his limitations. Gumbel acts like a serious journalist on his HBO show when half the time I go to the bathroom or the kitchen when he does his little in between interviews with the real talent on that show.

He's basically another guy being kept around because he's a name. The same thing goes with both Sharpe brothers, John Madden, etc. Just names that are either past their prime, or who never had a prime to begin with. It's really kind of sad in a way.

Atlanta Dan
11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
I am a big Kornheiser fan with regard to PTI, his rare Washington Post appearances (he still mey be a great writer but unlike Wilbon he pretty much has given up his prior day job as a columnist) and when he hosted a great sports talk show on ESPN Radio. I give him credit for trying the Monday Night booth but it does not seem to be a good fit.

I do agree these guys in the booth & studio now are treated like federal judges getting lifetime appointments and need to say good-bye (I include Bradshaw in that; after 20 years his act is getting tired). With regard to the current generation of commentators, Simms and Aikman are good; let's just hope the Deion/Michael Irwin clown show stays in the pregame circuses I avoid and are not brought to the actual games.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Gumble started his career in sportscasting. He moved to the news desk later. I was wondering why he is back doing sports... anyone know?

When the season is over, I could see him resigning.

Hines0wnz
11-25-2006, 03:22 PM
When the season is over, I could see him resigning.

Let us hope and pray.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
:iaggree: