PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request From the Northwest

Hawk Believer
11-24-2006, 08:16 PM
I like to think there is something to the collective power of prayer. And my family could use a few right now.

Yesterday my wife and I had a great Thanksgiving dinner with our families. One of the people in attendance was her 86 year old grandfather. We had met him at an uncle's house to give him a ride to the home where we were having the dinner. Afterwards, another family member brought him back to his car at our uncle's house and he set off tohis home, a 20 minute drive he has done hundreds of times.

Well that was at 5:30 Thanksgiving evening. He never made it home and we have no idea where he is. Years ago he had some small strokes that left him confused for a short spell and he would get confused and disoriented. We are afraid this has happened again.

We have been driving around randomly all over the Puget Sound area. We have called all the hospitals and filed a report with the state patrol. We tracked his credit cards but they show no activity. He uses cash mostly anyway. We have called in favors with good friends in the media, state patrol, and FBI. The local news are starting to run stories this evening with his story and picture. As far as we can tell, we have done everything we can do for the time being. We have become so exhausted from driving an searching we decided to take a break and focus on getting the word out with the media.

So we are left with two main possibilities. Either he has had a very serious medical event and is on the side of the road somewhere. Or he is very confused and lost and could be anywhere within 100s of miles. We are hoping that it is the latter since if he was on the side road someone probably would have called it in by now unless he had driven out to a more rural area.

So I am now asking two things of everyone I know. One, if you can think of any other strategy we could employee to try to find him, please share. And if it falls within your beliefs to so, any prayers would be greatly appreciated. His name is Bob and he is a good man.

I'll let you guys know any updates when I get a chance.

Preacher
11-24-2006, 08:19 PM
You have my prayers... May your grandfather-inlaw be found safe.

Preacher
11-24-2006, 08:21 PM
OH YEah... Also, what kind of car... How old ? If it has Lo-jack... On-Star, or if he is carrying a new cell phone, chances are good you can locate through one of those.

MattsMe
11-24-2006, 08:57 PM

Mine too HB.

ShutDown24
11-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I will for sure, and yeah if he has a cell, that isnt hard to track............ Hope everything turns out ok.......... Keep us updated, please.

Mosca
11-24-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm in with you, HB.

Tom

floodcitygirl
11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I'm hoping that by now you've found him safely. Please keep us updated.

Lyn
11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
bless you all HB

PAMillerGrrl83
11-24-2006, 11:44 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I hope all turns out well.

tony hipchest
11-25-2006, 01:04 PM
i think you got all the bases covered HB. in the meantime be strong for your wife and family and take comfort in the fact that people who have never met you in person have you in their thoughts and prayers. may you find him in a cozy bed and breakfast somewhere.

skidboot
11-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Here's praying for a Happy Ending!

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Hawk

Virtually all Law enforcement agencies utilize the LEADS system (nationwide system to connect law enforcement to each other)...

1) Talk to your friends in Law enforcement and make sure that they put out a "Failure to Return Home" through the system...This can be done on a semi-regular basis (its pretty much a "note" to Police)...and is pretty much a near-regional thing
2) Also have the closest relative put him in to that same system as a missing person WITH a note that he is possible a medical danger to himself....AND make sure that you add the license plate so that if either he or his vehicle is ran through any agency..it will come back to a "missing person"..this only has to be done once..and then when he is found you have him removed from the system...this is nation wide.
3) Check the house..see if he has I.D. with him or if he left it at home...hopefully he has it on him (this will help in case he is called in to the police and they are trying to fiqure out who he is, or a good samaritan is trying to help)
4) Check the caller I.D., sometime even when an elderly person is confused they will remember things that are very familiar to them..(telephone number)...see if he happened to call his own number..or in many cases..a good samaritan may have called for him.
5) If he has not been at this address for an extended time...have someone check the address that he lived at for a number of years...talk to the new tenants and see if he showed up.
6) If he has a cellphone,... most have "phase two" technology..which means that it can be triangulated within 50 ft of his location....It can be "pinged" by his carrier, but the request has to come through law enforcemnet in a life or death situation...which in my opinion this would be considered. remember however that it has been two days and that the phone may be out of juice.
7) Also have Law enforcement run a history on the license plate of his vehicle...it should tell if anyone else has ran it in the last 10 days...may give you somewhere to start looking

...and I will be praying for you and your family.

MACH1
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM

Me too... Hope he's OK.

stillers4me
11-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I just found this.......you, your family and especially your wife's grandfather and in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated. I pray he has already been found safe and sound.

83-Steelers-43
11-25-2006, 04:54 PM
You and your whole family are in my thoughts and prayers.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Prayers to your family Hawk.

Preacher
11-25-2006, 06:21 PM
We all know you are busy Hawk...

but when you have a moment, please give us an update! I think you are in the prayers of hundreds of people all over the nation!

Hawk Believer
11-26-2006, 11:23 AM
HE'S FOUND AND OK!

Thank you all for your prayers and support. It means an awful lot to all of us.

So here is the story. He was obviously having an episode of confusion and got on the wrong highway. He drove out to the extreme northwest corner of the state called the Olympic Penninsula. At some point he turned around and came back to a town that nobody was looking for him in. He ended up driving to a dead end at a gate to a community college that was out of session. He apparently got out of his car and fell and could not get up. Thank God a security guard saw his car (it was still running) and checked it out. The state patrol was alerted and he was brought the hospital. Thus ended Grandpa's big adventure.

He has no memory of what happened. His scans show a small stroke occured recently but otherwise he seems to be doing much better.

I apologize for not being able to update until now. We rushed over to the town he was at when we got word and spent the say there and did not have computer access.

Also, most will be happy to know that the State Patrol has taken his license.

Since he was out of the car and it was late Friday night, he probably would have died of exposure that night had he not been found quickly. Its been below freezing at night this week. All the prayers came through! I can't thank you all enough. God bless all of you.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear everything turned out okay!

MattsMe
11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Great news Hawk, I'm sure you and your family are relieved to say the least.

floodcitygirl
11-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Thank you so much for getting back with us! What a relief for your family. I'm so glad that he's back with you safely!

Hawk Believer
11-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks again everyone. Its such a relief to know he is alright. He has had a good life and if he died today I would be at peice with it. But the thought of him coming to his end cold, alone, and lost was a tough possibility to consider. We are so thankful all our prayers were answered.

This experience also makes me very thankful for the power of the internet. When it seemed like we had done everything we can and all that we could do was pray to God to take care of him, it was great to turn to the forums I participate in. Its pretty amazing how many people have your back when you try to be a repectful participant in a couple of forums. It was comforting to know people from all over the nation were praying for him.

Hawk Believer
11-26-2006, 03:25 PM
OH YEah... Also, what kind of car... How old ? If it has Lo-jack... On-Star, or if he is carrying a new cell phone, chances are good you can locate through one of those.

Excellent suggestion. He was driving a Chevy so I had hope that he might have OnStar. But he did not. Would have saved everyone a lot of grief if he did have one of those systems though.

Hawk Believer
11-26-2006, 03:27 PM
I will for sure, and yeah if he has a cell, that isnt hard to track............ Hope everything turns out ok.......... Keep us updated, please.

Another great suggestion. Unfortunately he is too old school to use a cell phone.

Hawk Believer
11-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Hawk

Virtually all Law enforcement agencies utilize the LEADS system (nationwide system to connect law enforcement to each other)...

1) Talk to your friends in Law enforcement and make sure that they put out a "Failure to Return Home" through the system...This can be done on a semi-regular basis (its pretty much a "note" to Police)...and is pretty much a near-regional thing
2) Also have the closest relative put him in to that same system as a missing person WITH a note that he is possible a medical danger to himself....AND make sure that you add the license plate so that if either he or his vehicle is ran through any agency..it will come back to a "missing person"..this only has to be done once..and then when he is found you have him removed from the system...this is nation wide.
3) Check the house..see if he has I.D. with him or if he left it at home...hopefully he has it on him (this will help in case he is called in to the police and they are trying to fiqure out who he is, or a good samaritan is trying to help)
4) Check the caller I.D., sometime even when an elderly person is confused they will remember things that are very familiar to them..(telephone number)...see if he happened to call his own number..or in many cases..a good samaritan may have called for him.
5) If he has not been at this address for an extended time...have someone check the address that he lived at for a number of years...talk to the new tenants and see if he showed up.
6) If he has a cellphone,... most have "phase two" technology..which means that it can be triangulated within 50 ft of his location....It can be "pinged" by his carrier, but the request has to come through law enforcemnet in a life or death situation...which in my opinion this would be considered. remember however that it has been two days and that the phone may be out of juice.
7) Also have Law enforcement run a history on the license plate of his vehicle...it should tell if anyone else has ran it in the last 10 days...may give you somewhere to start looking

...and I will be praying for you and your family.

Outstanding information LLT. Very useful for everyone to knwo in case they ever end up in a situation like this. We intially made a call to 911 and they us the "you have to wait 72 hours to file a missing person report" response. We then spoke with a good friend of mine in the FBI and another family member had a connection in the state patrol. They gave us a lot of the same info you did and we were able to get the the LEADS system going for him shortly after. The key to getting the system to pay attention was to bring up the medical issues, possible confusion, and that he was a danger to himself. And his being in the system let him be identified the moment the police were called to assist when he finally was found.

Great stuff LLT. Thanks.

ShutDown24
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah, Im glad everything was okay.

Chronicgaming
11-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm glad to hear everything is good Hawk!

MACH1
11-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Glad to here everythings OK

stillers4me
11-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Thank goodness he was found ok!! Poor man........he must have been so frightened.

Mosca
11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Thank god, it reveals stuff like the football season for the trivia it is.

Tom

Preacher
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Thank god, it reveals stuff like the football season for the trivia it is.

Tom

And on the day we lose to the ravens, that is a great perspective.

To Hawk...

I am very happy for you and your family. God's love and grace was upon you all today.

Elvis
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
This be to Hawk and all that reads this thread and I am sorry if I affend anyone, matter a fact I 'm not sorry because it is my belief that God is the only answer to our worldly needs.. May God richly Bless you and your family Hawk and I hope that your grandfather is doing better and I hate that I didnt see this thread going on earlier but my prayers are for a quick and complete rocovery for you grandfather... God Bless All that said all these very nice things to this person and I just wish that we could always be this nice to each other all the time.. Jesus said "Love Thy Neighbor and thy Enemy.." Just remember that...:hug: :wave:

sumo
11-30-2006, 01:07 PM
HE'S FOUND AND OK!

Thank you all for your prayers and support. It means an awful lot to all of us.

So here is the story. He was obviously having an episode of confusion and got on the wrong highway. He drove out to the extreme northwest corner of the state called the Olympic Penninsula. At some point he turned around and came back to a town that nobody was looking for him in. He ended up driving to a dead end at a gate to a community college that was out of session. He apparently got out of his car and fell and could not get up. Thank God a security guard saw his car (it was still running) and checked it out. The state patrol was alerted and he was brought the hospital. Thus ended Grandpa's big adventure.

He has no memory of what happened. His scans show a small stroke occured recently but otherwise he seems to be doing much better.

I apologize for not being able to update until now. We rushed over to the town he was at when we got word and spent the say there and did not have computer access.

Also, most will be happy to know that the State Patrol has taken his license.

Since he was out of the car and it was late Friday night, he probably would have died of exposure that night had he not been found quickly. Its been below freezing at night this week. All the prayers came through! I can't thank you all enough. God bless all of you.

I feel for you - my grandmother with alzheimers lived with us for the last ten years of her life - we took her license and regularly hid all of our car keys - she found some one night anyway and left while we were all asleep - we notified the police and they found her a day later in a mall parking lot 5 hours from our house...

HometownGal
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm so sorry, Hawk, but I just saw this thread now. Thank God your grandfather-in-law was found when he was - that security officer was definitely his guardian angel. I will most definitely continue to keep him in my prayers and ask God to bless him and keep him out of harm's way. Kudos to you for being such a great husband and a caring and concerned grandson-in-law. :smile:

memphissteelergirl
12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Hawk,

Just saw this, too. Thank God everything turned out OK...

Reading about this and Bus's dad really makes you put stuff in perspective...at the end of the day, while we all love our Steelers, it's your family and friends that really matter and you have the cherish the time you have on this Earth with them.

Again Hawk, glad all is well.

Peace...

Maidenarcher
12-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank God for major blessings. I am glad to know your grandfather is safe.